Only Trouble Is, Gee Whiz …

sunnyone

Verified Member
From
nyc
Dear Gentle Readers,

It’s not for nothing that Efren and Alex are - - arguably - - the most popular players in America.

Talent? Of course. But more than that, demeanor. Those boys look like they’re having fun. Having a grand ole time. Doing what they love and making some bank doing it.

Contrast those two smiling, self-deprecating, happy players with most of the Easter Island, stone-faced visages of so many others in the game.

Sure, I get it. Game day, game face. Serious business at stake. But … but … grimness doesn’t win games. Does it?

In a sport that is audience-challenged, personality can make a difference.

Alas, dourness isn’t limited to the boys. My favorite girl is Jasmin because we bear a slight physical resemblance, each of us has a personal trainer, and I admire her game.

Yet, when competing, Jasmin has a perpetually downturned mouth, a solemn countenance that clouds the sun.

Facile sociology is my life,

Sunny

P. S. What brought this to mind was catching a few minutes of the Freezer playing in an 8-ball tourney. He was, uncharacteristically, laughing and joking around with his opponents.

Refreshing.

stevelomako

Verified Member
From
Detroit, MI
Are you going to go to DCC? You would put a smile on a lot of faces there.

I think it's time for you to meet most of your favorites in their natural habitat.

straightback

Verified Member
From
owensboro, ky
Dear Gentle Readers,

It’s not for nothing that Efren and Alex are - - arguably - - the most popular players in America.

Talent? Of course. But more than that, demeanor. Those boys look like they’re having fun. Having a grand ole time. Doing what they love and making some bank doing it.

Contrast those two smiling, self-deprecating, happy players with most of the Easter Island, stone-faced visages of so many others in the game.

Sure, I get it. Game day, game face. Serious business at stake. But … but … grimness doesn’t win games. Does it?

In a sport that is audience-challenged, personality can make a difference.

Alas, dourness isn’t limited to the boys. My favorite girl is Jasmin because we bear a slight physical resemblance, each of us has a personal trainer, and I admire her game.

Yet, when competing, Jasmin has a perpetually downturned mouth, a solemn countenance that clouds the sun.

Facile sociology is my life,

Sunny

P. S. What brought this to mind was catching a few minutes of the Freezer playing in an 8-ball tourney. He was, uncharacteristically, laughing and joking around with his opponents.

Refreshing.

Perhaps this facet is evolving, but historically players seem to endeavor to communicate that they are serious when they play (e.g., silence, lack of emotion). Indeed, prosocial behavior can be construed by some as weakness, or at least as a failure to capitalize on psychology. We are largely talking about travelled alpha males here, I might add, who need to distinguish themselves to create a pecking order.