One Pocket HOF discussion thread

onepocket

Administrator
Staff member
Please post your comments, questions, etc, here and not in the ballot thread -- thank you!!

Bigtruck

Verified Member
I would like to nominate Alex Pagulayan. Only player to win Derby Master of the Table winning all 3 disciplines. All around great ambassador for the sport. Best One Pocket player on the planet, current.

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
I would like to nominate Alex Pagulayan. Only player to win Derby Master of the Table winning all 3 disciplines. All around great ambassador for the sport. Best One Pocket player on the planet, current.

Definitely a good candidate -- in time. We've been going with "20 years" as a top tier player in One Pocket as a minimum, and I think he is still a couple of few years short of that.

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
Definitely a good candidate -- in time. We've been going with "20 years" as a top tier player in One Pocket as a minimum, and I think he is still a couple of few years short of that.

As far as I know, Alex first "came out" in One Pocket in about 2001. He actually won a small One Pocket tournament in Massachusetts in 2001. I remember it well, because he beat me in the finals lol.

Corey Deuel is another one who will be a good candidate. I have him as first "coming out" in One Pocket in 2000 at Grady's One Pocket tournament in Portland ME. That tournament had a very good field. Corey used the "8-ball break" in that tournament, which was kind of a joke, but he actually did OK in the tournament. It was always my opinion that at the time, he didn't really want people to know how serious he was about One Pocket, and the the 8-ball break was good for that :D:D

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
maybe next year for bustamante to make the ballot(s)……
:frus

I scrolled through our Record Book page, and it looks like he first appears in 2007 Hard Times Summer Jamboree -- which he won -- interesting that Tony Chohan came in 2nd :)

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
since the poll is up
once again lets not forget the real oldtimers before they are forgotten
vote for marcel camp and johnny "irish" lineen please
plus whomever else you want...:)

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
I remember watching Rempe play one pocket at Janscos in the late 60's he seemed to know his way around. How about Bob Osbourn?
Rempe of course was a great pool player, but IMO not a top level 1P player. He could run balls with the rest of them, but he didn't seem to have a deep understanding of 1P. Recall that gruesome match at the '91 Legends where Fusco beat Rempe 5-0 by completely suffocating him.

Also at that event Jersey Red beat Bob Osborne. I think Bob "Black Bart" was (is) a very good 1P player, just a shade below his contemporaries at 1P. Didn't he win the second Super Seniors 1P in Houston a coupla years ago? If memory serves me that was when they only had 18 or so players, and management decided to lower the next event's age to 65. Bob has always been a feared back room player though.

~Doc

Island Drive

Verified Member
From
florence, colorado
Rempe of course was a great pool player, but IMO not a top level 1P player. He could run balls with the rest of them, but he didn't seem to have a deep understanding of 1P. Recall that gruesome match at the '91 Legends where Fusco beat Rempe 5-0 by completely suffocating him.

Also at that event Jersey Red beat Bob Osborne. I think Bob "Black Bart" was (is) a very good 1P player, just a shade below his contemporaries at 1P. Didn't he win the second Super Seniors 1P in Houston a coupla years ago? If memory serves me that was when they only had 18 or so players, and management decided to lower the next event's age to 65. Bob has always been a feared back room player though.

~Doc

Thx Doc....is that Fatty pic the right one???

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
Scott Frost should be a lock to get in this year allow me to bring up a deceased player that has the credentials to be inducted as a player, gambler, and a promoter of events. Richard Florence.

Dr. Bill

jrhendy

Verified Member
From
Placerville, CA
Scott Frost should be a lock to get in this year allow me to bring up a deceased player that has the credentials to be inducted as a player, gambler, and a promoter of events. Richard Florence.

Dr. Bill

I agree with both. Scotts record the past 20 years speaks for itself.

I have fond memories of Ritchie, he put me to work in 1961 when he was 17 and I was a 21 year old wannabe pool hustler.

We played again 30 years later and I told him he was the best friend I ever had and he did not even know it.:D

He spearheaded big money tournaments in Vegas, and was a top money player at all games. If you did not know his one pocket game, he was maybe 9/8 or 8/7 behind RA and Ed Kelly.

keoneyo

Verified Member
Dr Bill

Dr Bill

~Doc
On the PATV broadcast of the Chohan/Pagulayan match, Jeremy Jones alluded to a match between Dr Bill and Black Bart. Can you give us the history of the match and what happened, Bill? Mr 3 Cushion intro'd me to Bob and he is still doing it. A man deserving of recognition.

Scrzbill

Verified Member
From
Eagles Rest, Wa
On the PATV broadcast of the Chohan/Pagulayan match, Jeremy Jones alluded to a match between Dr Bill and Black Bart. Can you give us the history of the match and what happened, Bill? Mr 3 Cushion intro'd me to Bob and he is still doing it. A man deserving of recognition.

In general, that match started slow, a lot of dinking around with “black bart” working his way to a tactical advantage each game. His traps were very good and left Bill in many an untenable positions. Due to the length of their match, an arrangement was agreed that Bart would win. Bill had beaten Bart earlier in the tournament before Bart got his mixture right.

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
Was looking at the past inductees, the picture of Rudolph Wanderone does not look like fatty.

This Fatty pic is an artist's painting based on a small black and white photo in Fatty's bio book -- Bank Shot and Other Great Robberies. The original was purportedly him as a young man -- no wonder you didn't recognize him :D:D

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
From
Klamath Falls, Or.
What about Johnny Ervolino, he not getting much votes! The only two time winner of the Stardust Open One Pocket '71 & '73. Some of our current HOF'ers were in those tournaments but yet it was Johnny that won!

Him and Jack Breit came up together in NY, and under the tutelage of some great players. Is there anymore info. on Johnny and OP? Whitey

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
What about Johnny Ervolino, he not getting much votes! The only two time winner of the Stardust Open One Pocket '71 & '73. Some of our current HOF'ers were in those tournaments but yet it was Johnny that won!

Him and Jack Breit came up together in NY, and under the tutelage of some great players. Is there anymore info. on Johnny and OP? Whitey
I always enjoyed his commentary too -- a gravelly voice like long time Celtics play by play man Johnny Most. He definitely knew One Pocket!

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
This Fatty pic is an artist's painting based on a small black and white photo in Fatty's bio book -- Bank Shot and Other Great Robberies. The original was purportedly him as a young man -- no wonder you didn't recognize him :D:D

he looks like al capone,,,:heh