One Pocket HOF discussion thread

mr3cushion

Verified Member
From
Cocoa Beach, FL
Rempe of course was a great pool player, but IMO not a top level 1P player. He could run balls with the rest of them, but he didn't seem to have a deep understanding of 1P. Recall that gruesome match at the '91 Legends where Fusco beat Rempe 5-0 by completely suffocating him.

Also at that event Jersey Red beat Bob Osborne. I think Bob "Black Bart" was (is) a very good 1P player, just a shade below his contemporaries at 1P. Didn't he win the second Super Seniors 1P in Houston a coupla years ago? If memory serves me that was when they only had 18 or so players, and management decided to lower the next event's age to 65. Bob has always been a feared back room player though.

~Doc

Doc, just for the record, Bob's last name is, Ogburn. :)

Bob should definitely be considered! But, most definitely some kind on honorably mention in the, 'Action' category! He's ALWAYS bet his own and still to this day!

Jimmy B

Verified Member
I voted for Frost for obvious reasons and I said I would vote for Marcel Camp until he goes in or I die first, and no other deceased, so as not to dilute my vote.. I put one in, Beard.......

Island Drive

Verified Member
From
florence, colorado

Bob should definitely be considered! But, most definitely some kind on honorably mention in the, 'Action' category! He's ALWAYS bet his own and still to this day!

Action, like Ether....I agree. BO came to Colorado Springs early 70's when Grady opened his room. Bob carried a red circle cue ball, first time I ever saw that cue ball, and I think Matthews had not seen it before. Bob said he'd give em a game on the wire.....Grady did not go for that bet. Saw BO once at Burlington IA hock his Green/New/Volvo 245 wagon to stay in the ring game with Searcy/Mataya/himself and another, he didn't lose his car.

Last edited:

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
What about Johnny Ervolino, he not getting much votes! The only two time winner of the Stardust Open One Pocket '71 & '73. Some of our current HOF'ers were in those tournaments but yet it was Johnny that won!

Him and Jack Breit came up together in NY, and under the tutelage of some great players. Is there anymore info. on Johnny and OP? Whitey
I agree. Ervolino was a fearsome 1P player, and certainly won enough to qualify. For some reason his expertise in straight pool seems to have been held against him regarding 1P. Yet that didn't prejudice the inductions of DiLiberto or Steve Cook. Ervolino had somewhat of a shady reputation, but if being a Boy Scout or a deacon was required for HOF induction, then very few if any of our guys would have made it..:D Freddy said that Ervolino was the favorite over most anybody when he had a backer, unless he was doing some business.

I'm a little surprised that Raphael Martinez is getting some pull in the voting. I suppose it's simply due to name recognition. Martinez is fascinating to watch because of his unconventional approach. But aside from his taking 2nd place at the 2000 DCC 1P, and winning a few local events, it's a mystery to me why he ought to be considered for our HOF.

~Doc

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi

It sure is, Bill. And I knew that, but spaced it. I think on my old DVD of an Ogburn/Breit match his name was listed as "Osborne".

~Doc

Island Drive

Verified Member
From
florence, colorado
But aside from his taking 2nd place at the 2000 DCC 1P, and winning a few local events, it's a mystery to me why he ought to be considered for our HOF.

~Doc

Totally agree. Rafa and I go waaaaaaaay back, he's not a one hole player, he's a good man that could be most any top pro in match play/rotation games.

Jimmy B

Verified Member
It sure is, Bill. And I knew that, but spaced it. I think on my old DVD of an Ogburn/Breit match his name was listed as "Osborne".

~Doc

I have that match.. A long war, it was.. Watching one right now of Grossman playing Varner.. Looks sharp and clear on the old tape.. Vickery commentating.. lol...

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
I have that match.. A long war, it was.. Watching one right now of Grossman playing Varner.. Looks sharp and clear on the old tape.. Vickery commentating.. lol...
Vickery was a pretty good commentator; a good ole Columbus boy. Actually he should be about due to be released. I'll have to look that one up.

~Doc

Island Drive

Verified Member
From
florence, colorado
lol, if we have a better pic for him just let me know, we can swap any of those out!

I agree, he looks like a mob character. Away from the table, he was one of the finest humans I've met.

He, like efren, bled out of society and life to become a special person. His dad taught him well as a child how to act and treat others.

Jimmy B

Verified Member
Vickery was a pretty good commentator; a good ole Columbus boy. Actually he should be about due to be released. I'll have to look that one up.

~Doc

Yes, Doc, he did seem to know one pocket pretty well. And while I think about that match, even though Grossman lost to Nick Varner, I should note that Dave earlier in that tournament had beaten Cliff Joyner, Harriman, Tom Wirth and also beat Grady Mathews 4-1, so I just wanted to give him a little prop, since he posts sometimes,,, for any young people in here that didn't realize how he played. Those four guys were playing lights out at that time ...circa 1991.. Now let'ss all put in a vote for Marcel Camp.. thank you...

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
Yes, Doc, he did seem to know one pocket pretty well. And while I think about that match, even though Grossman lost to Nick Varner, I should note that Dave earlier in that tournament had beaten Cliff Joyner, Harriman, Tom Wirth and also beat Grady Mathews 4-1, so I just wanted to give him a little prop, since he posts sometimes,,, for any young people in here that didn't realize how he played. Those four guys were playing lights out at that time ...circa 1991.. Now let'ss all put in a vote for Marcel Camp.. thank you...
When I saw the name, I assumed it was DAVE Grossman. Was it Dave, or another Grossman? I didn't think Dave had been on the scene that long. I used to see him around the Gulf Coast tournaments quite a bit, and I've seen him at the DCC. I assumed he lived in Florida, or somewhere in the Southeast.

~Doc

crabbcatjohn

Verified Member
From
Benton, Ky.
John, is he getting back into pool, or is he avoiding his old haunts? I always thought he was an interesting guy, so I hope he's gotten some help for his demons.

~Doc
Have no clue, dont know the slug. I remembered the thread and relayed the information.

Jimmy B

Verified Member
When I saw the name, I assumed it was DAVE Grossman. Was it Dave, or another Grossman? I didn't think Dave had been on the scene that long. I used to see him around the Gulf Coast tournaments quite a bit, and I've seen him at the DCC. I assumed he lived in Florida, or somewhere in the Southeast.

~Doc

Yes, it was Dave but I had the date wrong.. It was the 2000 World One Pocket Championship from Portland, Maine.. HE had Nick smoking those cigs too, one after the other.. Back then you were obviously allowed to smoke while playing.

stevelomako

Verified Member
From
Detroit, MI

~Doc

not many rooting for his release doc.

Released and registered 2 yrs ago in Ohio

John, is he getting back into pool, or is he avoiding his old haunts? I always thought he was an interesting guy, so I hope he's gotten some help for his demons.

~Doc

Have no clue, dont know the slug. I remembered the thread and relayed the information.

Help for his demons??

It's not like he had a personal drug problem, or alcohol, or gambling and only hurt himself.

He is a god damn child molester.

The best thing would have been for him to have died in prison. It wouldn't be a bad thing to me if all child molesters and pedophiles died quickly in jail.

If this seems a little harsh to you...it seems too nice to me. I could think of wonderful things to do to these predators while helping them on their way out.