One Ball One Pocket

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
From
Klamath Falls, Or.
I revisited this site because Terry Hanna posted Iron City tournament and I noticed the OB-OP is their mini tournament. I therefore posted up the rule writing that Steve posted and that we find on post #261. I then realized that it was a little too presumptuous of me, and also realized that it has not become official and was still under discussion, so I deleted it even though my concern was that no one has really seen this rule writing.

I found this thread on pg. 3, which surprised me that it was that recent. It ended for whatever reason.
I have posted some pretty winded posts since. This is me trying to work through this to get a good grasp of all the nuances that makes up the various ways this game is played and could be played, and also bringing along the members through this thought process.

Recently some members have reiterated how the game is played. There is also some discontent / frustration mounting that needs to be calmed.
Therefore, I believe the game rule can represent the various ways it is played and still maintain the intent of the current writing. I further believe the members will be satisfied. It does not have to be long and drawn out for we all know OP, but short and concise representing how the game is played across America.
Hopefully, Steve and I can work on this to this end. For otherwise this thread and this endeavor is very much starting to unravel.
Whitey

Last edited:

darmoose

Verified Member
From
Baltimore, MD
So to be clear what is darmoose rules for 1ball 1 pocket ?
Do all games need or benefit from standardized rules?

As I said earlier, OBOP is played differently all over the country, much like GOLF. Every region where it is played feels their rules are the best and that is just fine. None of them will defer to Steve's attempts to author "standardized and sanctioned" rules in lieu of how they have learned to play the game, nor will TD's at venues like the DCC. So, what's the point?

Personally, I think it all this is simply an overreach that serves no purpose. As for my preference of OBOP, I already described it...... :)

unoperro

Verified Member
Darmoose thanks for your reply. I realize people are going to play the game the way they want. It is nice to have a universal set of rules. Perhaps you have noticed the same group of players are in most trnmnts. Do you feel it would be nice for them to play by a standard set of rules at every trnmnt?
Much of this standardized rules is a effort to make 1pkt presentable to a audience. If John and Jane doe can understand the rules it is more likely they will follow the game.

Now you may not feel the need for any of this so keep on keeping on.

Ratamon

Verified Member
From
London, UK
Do all games need or benefit from standardized rules?

As I said earlier, OBOP is played differently all over the country, much like GOLF. Every region where it is played feels their rules are the best and that is just fine. None of them will defer to Steve's attempts to author "standardized and sanctioned" rules in lieu of how they have learned to play the game, nor will TD's at venues like the DCC. So, what's the point?

Personally, I think it all this is simply an overreach that serves no purpose. As for my preference of OBOP, I already described it...... :)

If the main purpose of this website is to promote the game of OP, including OBOP (which I believe it is), then it should serve as a reference point for those trying to learn the game. I therefore very much welcome this effort.

The rule making isn’t primarily aimed at us, diehard OP junkies. At least, that’s the way I see it.

OBOP is a great way of getting people interested in OP I think

darmoose

Verified Member
From
Baltimore, MD
Darmoose thanks for your reply. I realize people are going to play the game the way they want. It is nice to have a universal set of rules. Perhaps you have noticed the same group of players are in most trnmnts. Do you feel it would be nice for them to play by a standard set of rules at every trnmnt?
Much of this standardized rules is a effort to make 1pkt presentable to a audience. If John and Jane doe can understand the rules it is more likely they will follow the game.

Now you may not feel the need for any of this so keep on keeping on.
......and thanks to you too.......

I don't think it would hurt to have tournaments use standardized rules, but I don't think it helps much in trying to understand or learn OP rules. I also don't think it will happen as TD's are going to be guided by their own problems. OP is a fairly simple game as far as the rules go, but very complicated in terms of how to actually play. Watching players play OBOP with ANY rules will serve the purpose of teaching about the end game.

OBOP is not played by the universally accepted OP rules anywhere, and that is OK. We do not need to dumb down the game, trying to equate it to OP. Gamblers, like TD's, will make the game as they see fit.

Actually, from a spectator's point of view, I think seeing OBOP played by "local" rules is more interesting and more conducive to analyzing how players deal with different circumstances.

Not to change the subject, but for me the best game on a pool table is Golf which is also played by local rules all over the country. I imagine that Hendy ran into all kinds of rules playing and gambling at Golf, and I imagine he never suffered from a lack of standardized rules...... :)

jrhendy

Verified Member
From
Placerville, CA
......and thanks to you too.......

I don't think it would hurt to have tournaments use standardized rules, but I don't think it helps much in trying to understand or learn OP rules. I also don't think it will happen as TD's are going to be guided by their own problems. OP is a fairly simple game as far as the rules go, but very complicated in terms of how to actually play. Watching players play OBOP with ANY rules will serve the purpose of teaching about the end game.

OBOP is not played by the universally accepted OP rules anywhere, and that is OK. We do not need to dumb down the game, trying to equate it to OP. Gamblers, like TD's, will make the game as they see fit.

Actually, from a spectator's point of view, I think seeing OBOP played by "local" rules is more interesting and more conducive to analyzing how players deal with different circumstances.

Not to change the subject, but for me the best game on a pool table is Golf which is also played by local rules all over the country. I imagine that Hendy ran into all kinds of rules playing and gambling at Golf, and I imagine he never suffered from a lack of standardized rules...... :)

When you played in a ring game, you used house rules, period. When I gambled heads up, there were a few things I might ask to change if I thought the rules were a little strange. If they would not agree, I made adjustments

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
From
Klamath Falls, Or.
On Jun. 24th this thread started with the intent to work on an OB-OP game rule that added balls to the table. So, this endeavor is towards tournament rules as we see on the very first post, Buffalo Tournament and this is the basic rules they used, and the 3 accumulated fouls idea was included. This has not change to date 6 months later except for defensive play out of the 1st diamond quadrant and recognizing sudden death as a game.
So, it is geared towards large tournaments that have the tables and days to play with added balls to the table and a race to 3 or 4.

So should our endeavor progress to be more inclusive for these week-end warrior tournaments. OB-OP mini is taking off, and game rule guidelines could also include these smaller tournaments, which could be a version of sudden death. I'd hate to see this endeavor end up with no guidelines from OP.org for smaller tournaments.
I mean wouldn't these TD's be looking towards OP.org for guidance. For instance, can this ball adding format be pulled off for our MOT, enlighten me, for I honestly do not know!
Whitey

Last edited:

beatle

Verified Member
ive played the game for years. and never had more than two object balls on the table.

only a top pro is going to add balls through intentional fouls. but with only one ball on the table there is almost never a need to take an intentional other than following it in.

the difference is with a full rack a penalty ball isnt much of a penalty. but with one ball on the table its huge even for a top player.

Reactions: lll

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
Dennis, what you just posted looks like the same OBOP game and options, just unnecessarilly re-written and re-organized into your own words IMO. Plus you added one option that no one even said they had ever actually played as a second sudden death option that is slightly less than sudden death lol. And you added the CA head rail break position, without calling it that. I don't get the need. Where they play the head ball break they can and will probably still play it -- nobody is dictating how the game should be played. In Philly they will still play their "Bare Ball" version. At Southern Rec they may continue their version, with spotting penalty balls one at a time at the end if you make the game ball. That is the way it is. What I posted reflects what was played at Buffalo's, most likely at DCC, and is the way many of us have been playing the game for years essentially, just a bit more codified, particularly to clarify the break as a defensive shot.

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
From
Klamath Falls, Or.
Steve,
Another reason I revisited this thread is because with the emergence of OB-OP mini tournaments I came to the realization that we do not have a game rule prominently displayed. I understand that the big wigs hobnob and thus know the OB-OP adding balls format. But the weekend warrior tournaments where their TD's may need and understandably would look towards OP.org for guidance. Also, I feel the adding of balls works for when a number of tables are available and available time. And the 'sudden death' & its variations work when there is not a number of tables available and the time. Thus, the need for a more inclusive OB-OP game rule guidance.

For example, our MOT on Saturday with the losers out they may want to do a last chance OB-OP mini tournament, and as tables open up then they very well may need to do a variation of sudden death.
Whitey

stevelomako

Verified Member
From
Detroit, MI
Hey!!!

I have an idea.

It may seem weird.

It may seem goofy.

How about Steve Booth start a thread, make it a sticky so it at the top and lock it so no one can reply on it except him and he can write the rules in it and be able to change them as they will get tweaked.

This thread here…too many spoons in the soup. 🤦🏻‍♂️🤷🏻‍♂️🤷🏻‍♂️🤷🏻‍♂️

I ain’t naming names…yet

darmoose

Verified Member
From
Baltimore, MD
Hey!!!

I have an idea.

It may seem weird.

It may seem goofy.

How about Steve Booth start a thread, make it a sticky so it at the top and lock it so no one can reply on it except him and he can write the rules in it and be able to change them as they will get tweaked.

This thread here…too many spoons in the soup. 🤦🏻‍♂️🤷🏻‍♂️🤷🏻‍♂️🤷🏻‍♂️

I ain’t naming names…yet
.....might as well...... :rolleyes:

BRLongArm

Verified Member
poolactiontv is hosting these professional one ball one pocket tournaments, using the standard rules: defensive opening shot, one pocket thereafter. It doesn't matter what we think from here on out. Our squabbling is irrelevant; the train is leaving without us. In three years, everyone will play it like they see it at the tournaments.

It seems like some of the posters in this thread think it is their job to invent a better version rather than just standardizing what most people are already doing. Standardizing just means write them down so that anyone who has a question can look it up. It does not mean "improving" or reinventing it.

mr3cushion

Verified Member
From
Cocoa Beach, FL
poolactiontv is hosting these professional one ball one pocket tournaments, using the standard rules: defensive opening shot, one pocket thereafter. It doesn't matter what we think from here on out. Our squabbling is irrelevant; the train is leaving without us. In three years, everyone will play it like they see it at the tournaments.

It seems like some of the posters in this thread think it is their job to invent a better version rather than just standardizing what most people are already doing. Standardizing just means write them down so that anyone who has a question can look it up. It does not mean "improving" or reinventing it.
Finally, someone with common sense!

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
From
Klamath Falls, Or.

You are forgetting the adding balls format mini tournament does work if you have the tables available and the time. I do not see how it works otherwise.
The little guy gets left out I guess, or does not matter! Hm!
If that is where OP.org is going, I do not want to participate in that endeavor!
I do want to participate in the grass roots of OP becoming popular, and for me that is in the development of a game rule that works to introduce OP to the player in the pool room. How do we grow players back into the poolrooms?
Whitey

stevelomako

Verified Member
From
Detroit, MI
You are forgetting the adding balls format mini tournament does work if you have the tables available and the time. I do not see how it works otherwise.
The little guy gets left out I guess, or does not matter! Hm!
If that is where OP.org is going, I do not want to participate in that endeavor!
I do want to participate in the grass roots of OP becoming popular, and for me that is in the development of a game rule that works to introduce OP to the player in the pool room. How do we grow players back into the poolrooms?
Whitey

How are you going to force people to play by your rules?

Good luck with that.

People play how they are going to play. Any tournament will use the rules they want.

You’re getting a little overbearing with this. 🤷🏻‍♂️