One Ball One Pocket

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
It's a nice feeling to win any tournament, and a lot rarer as you get older, so double congrats on that Tobe!! I look forward to checking out the 1B1P

BrookelandBilly

Verified Member
From
Fair Oaks Ranch, Texas
What about a 9 ball or 6 ball rack where you play one pocket but here’s the catch. You play rotation. You have to make the balls in your respective pocket by first shooting the 1 ball, then 2 ball then 3 ball and so on. First player to 4 in 6 ball or 5 in 9 ball wins. In 6 ball if there is a 3 ball tie you have a playoff playing 1ball 1pocket. Just a thought.

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
What about a 9 ball or 6 ball rack where you play one pocket but here’s the catch. You play rotation. You have to make the balls in your respective pocket by first shooting the 1 ball, then 2 ball then 3 ball and so on. First player to 4 in 6 ball or 5 in 9 ball wins. In 6 ball if there is a 3 ball tie you have a playoff playing 1ball 1pocket. Just a thought.
I like the idea of it in theory. Probably have a lot of fouls since you have to hit a specific ball which makes safeties easier to play for your opponent. You could even speed it up more by getting ball in hand (behind the line) on any foul. So you snooker your opponent from the 3 ball, they kick and miss, you get ball in hand behind the line (or play it where it lies - your choice), just some more thoughts...

darmoose

Verified Member
From
Baltimore, MD
I like the idea of it in theory. Probably have a lot of fouls since you have to hit a specific ball which makes safeties easier to play for your opponent. You could even speed it up more by getting ball in hand (behind the line) on any foul. So you snooker your opponent from the 3 ball, they kick and miss, you get ball in hand behind the line (or play it where it lies - your choice), just some more thoughts...
might be better to play stripes vs solids rather than rotation..........

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
I've been working with the guy at Diamond that runs the mini tournaments, and it looks like the Tuesday night One Pocket mini is going to be One Ball One Pocket this year. Probably a race to three both sides double elimination, 32 player max. Played with our rules as if the score is 7-7 to start, and if you foul or scratch you spot a ball and need two, but with a foul limit in place so you cannot keep back scratching. If you scratch or foul when you already need two, needing three balls is loss of game.

In looking at their rules for One Pocket this year, they have instituted a new rule basically prohibiting jumping off the table to prevent a score -- so if you don't want your opponent's hanger to score you will have no choice but to find a way to scratch.
Ball Jumped Off the Table
If the cue ball or an object ball is jumped off the table to prevent an object ball from counting toward the opponents ball count, the object ball will go in the opponents pocket and count toward their ball count and it is a foul and cue ball in hand in the kitchen for the opponent.

Last edited:

darmoose

Verified Member
From
Baltimore, MD
I've been working with the guy at Diamond that runs the mini tournaments, and it looks like the Tuesday night One Pocket mini is going to be One Ball One Pocket this year. Probably a race to three both sides double elimination, 32 player max. Played with our rules as if the score is 7-7 to start, and if you foul or scratch you spot a ball and need two, but with a foul limit in place so you cannot keep back scratching. If you scratch or foul when you already need two, needing three balls is loss of game.

In looking at their rules for One Pocket this year, they have instituted a new rule basically prohibiting jumping off the table to prevent a score -- so if you don't want your opponent's hanger to score you will have no choice but to find a way to scratch.

I suspect the DCC doing this is the first step to a rule like this "bleeding" into the OP.org official rules of the game. Whether we want it or not if enough OP players become used to playing a certain way, just like the "rack your own" crowd, OP.org will be pressured to conform, don't you think.

IMHO loss of the tactic of jumping the CB to elongate the game would be very unfortunate......I would hope we stick with the rule and only allow it to be banned by a room owner or a TD in tournament situations........... :)

Reactions: lll

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
I suspect the DCC doing this is the first step to a rule like this "bleeding" into the OP.org official rules of the game. Whether we want it or not if enough OP players become used to playing a certain way, just like the "rack your own" crowd, OP.org will be pressured to conform, don't you think.

IMHO loss of the tactic of jumping the CB to elongate the game would be very unfortunate......I would hope we stick with the rule and only allow it to be banned by a room owner or a TD in tournament situations........... :)
i agree and said so in the dcc thread

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire

That is essentially what our rules say -- traditional rules.

But what you say is true about all games -- if players themselves pivot en masse then ultimately rules would have to follow. But I do not see that happening for basic One Pocket rules. Just look at the rules process we just went through -- I don;t think there is a pool game as locked into tradition as One Pocket is -- with the exception of Straight Pool (and 3 cushion, but that is billiards not pool anyway lol).

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
From
Klamath Falls, Or.
This is Steve's game rule, with a few changes to continuing play, and only one object ball is ever on the table, unless the optional play is used.

One Ball One Pocket
An abbreviated form of One Pocket, that is only played with one object ball.

The Game:
Begin with one ball frozen to the center of the foot rail, B-I-H from the kitchen. Breaker must open with a defensive shot. If the opening break leaves the object ball within one diamond of the breaker's own pocket, the opponent has the option of accepting the balls as they lie and continuing play or calling for a re-break. Standard One Pocket rules apply thereafter.

Continuing Play:
In the event of a scratch or table foul it is a loss of game. Exception being this scenario; when the opponent has the object ball in scoring position, and it is either jumped off the table or pocketed and followed in with a pocket scratch or with the cue ball being jumped off the table. This results in no foul and the object ball is spotted and the opponent takes ball in hand behind the line.
Optional play: the above scenario results in a foul and the object is spotted along with another ball for the foul, opponent has ball in hand behind the line, and the offending player is playing to two.
-------------------------

It is the consensus of this thread that the members prefer 'sudden death'. But there is a problem with it, you cannot scratch/foul on the object ball rattled in the opponent's pocket, for it is an automatic loss. And also, there is a problem with allowing scratches, for the player can simply pocket the ball and play position for the upcoming spotted ball, and it lengthens the games, of which is not conducive for tournament use.

Players should be able to play a clean game without scratching. A mini tournament race to 4, then either scenario I would think the players would be ok with!
Your thoughts!
Whitey

darmoose

Verified Member
From
Baltimore, MD
This is Steve's game rule, with a few changes to continuing play, and only one object ball is ever on the table, unless the optional play is used.

One Ball One Pocket
An abbreviated form of One Pocket, that is only played with one object ball.

The Game:
Begin with one ball frozen to the center of the foot rail, B-I-H from the kitchen. Breaker must open with a defensive shot. If the opening break leaves the object ball within one diamond of the breaker's own pocket, the opponent has the option of accepting the balls as they lie and continuing play or calling for a re-break. Standard One Pocket rules apply thereafter.

Continuing Play:
In the event of a scratch or table foul it is a loss of game. Exception being this scenario; when the opponent has the object ball in scoring position, and it is either jumped off the table or pocketed and followed in with a pocket scratch or with the cue ball being jumped off the table. This results in no foul and the object ball is spotted and the opponent takes ball in hand behind the line.
Optional play: the above scenario results in a foul and the object is spotted along with another ball for the foul, opponent has ball in hand behind the line, and the offending player is playing to two.
-------------------------

It is the consensus of this thread that the members prefer 'sudden death'. But there is a problem with it, you cannot scratch/foul on the object ball rattled in the opponent's pocket, for it is an automatic loss. And also, there is a problem with allowing scratches, for the player can simply pocket the ball and play position for the upcoming spotted ball, and it lengthens the games, of which is not conducive for tournament use.

Players should be able to play a clean game without scratching. A mini tournament race to 4, then either scenario I would think the players would be ok with!
Your thoughts!
Whitey
As an alternate to true "sudden death"OBOP, where any and all fouls end the game, I don't mind this rule allowing jumping the ball(s) off the table to extend the game. By spotting the ball and giving the incoming player BIHBTL we will bring spot shots back to a much higher importance.

On the option above, another way to play is to allow only one ball to be made per inning. That way a player needing two balls because he fouled cannot run out, which I think is a good restriction.

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
one ball onepocket is onepocket with one ball (ie one ball left you both need 1)
if you foul you should spot a ball and need 2
thats how its played in my pool room
in other words
i am against sudden death one ball one pocket
unless you call it that

beatle

Verified Member
right. if played exactly like it was the last ball on the table in a regular game no extra rules needed.

except for each venue deciding where and how you want to setup the starting balls and rules for the break.

what could be easier than that and most understandable.

darmoose

Verified Member
From
Baltimore, MD
one ball onepocket is onepocket with one ball (ie one ball left you both need 1)
if you foul you should spot a ball and need 2
thats how its played in my pool room
in other words
i am against sudden death one ball one pocket
unless you call it that
everyone is entitled to their opinion.............btw, if we call it "sudden death" then you're all for it? :)

sheldon

Verified Member
From
Springfield Oregon
It makes sense to tweak the rules a little for a tournament scenario, but I like playing it as close to regular 1P rules as possible otherwise.

Reactions: lll

Jimmy B

Verified Member
Yes
Because its a different game
And would be clear what game we are playing

I get it, Larry.. It's an entirely different game and so why not enjoy both of them.. LIke if somebody asks you to play some one ball op, you just say, you want sudden death or regular one ball? Just like in a bar and you're asking marks to play Eight Ball and a guy says he will play Last Pocket Eight Ball, then you are aware, because it's a very different animal...

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
I get it, Larry.. It's an entirely different game and so why not enjoy both of them.. LIke if somebody asks you to play some one ball op, you just say, you want sudden death or regular one ball? Just like in a bar and you're asking marks to play Eight Ball and a guy says he will play Last Pocket Eight Ball, then you are aware, because it's a very different animal...
Yes, that's why the name, "Sudden Death" One Ball One Pocket -- to differentiate it.
As an alternate to true "sudden death"OBOP, where any and all fouls end the game, I don't mind this rule allowing jumping the ball(s) off the table to extend the game. By spotting the ball and giving the incoming player BIHBTL we will bring spot shots back to a much higher importance.

On the option above, another way to play is to allow only one ball to be made per inning. That way a player needing two balls because he fouled cannot run out, which I think is a good restriction.
That is an interesting idea. I like it better than Mitch's Philly One Ball One Pocket ("Bare Ball" I think they call it). And better than the way they played it at Southern Rec. What you are talking about is basically One and Stop applied to One Ball One Pocket. But I'm not sure why you would need to add that additional rule, other than some people's obsession with the idea that since it is called One Ball One Pocket, there should never be more than one ball on the table. :D

You can limit fouls and play standard One Pocket (starting with only one ball of course), and that works fine, and you still get plenty of spot shots -- every time there is a simple pocket scratch or foul without a ball pocketed on the same stroke. So what if there might be 2-3 balls on the table. It's the true end game of One Pocket -- what could be better than that? The only reason to even have any foul limits -- whether Sudden Death or if you are limited to needing two balls -- is just to keep the games short. That would be mainly for tournament play I would think.