OK, anyone seen this one!

Ratamon

Verified Member
From
London, UK
have always played no jump shots allowed in one pocket.. you owe one and spot the ball.

maybe rules have changed.
This shot isn’t a jump shot I don’t believe but will need to look up the exact definition. The jump shot is when you jump the CB over an intervening ball to hit the OB which isn’t the case here

Ratamon

Verified Member
From
London, UK
https://photos.app.goo.gl/7rXuonDd9kYyv2iR9
I think this is a shot for the young guys coming up! Old dogs aren't much for learning new tricks! I know once I learn something I forget it anyway.
I was thinking in learning one pocket, and not once did anyone show me anything, let alone a shot like this!
I just have to wonder just how many young guys are learning the game through these threads. It must be nice!
But, on this shot you stroke with an elevated cue straight though the center, if you are above center it will jump off the table.

I think Justin Hall could get into this shot! Enjoy! Whitey

Great shooting Whitey! I wouldn’t shoot it for decent money though as somehow or other the CB always ends up off the table or in the pocket for me!

Ratamon

Verified Member
From
London, UK
Even at snooker where there has been no jumping since forever, it's OK for the cue ball to go over a ball after contact with an object ball.

Exactly! It becomes very judgmental and therefore subject to controversy whether a jump shot is intentional if it happens after a contact with the OB

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
From
Klamath Falls, Or.
Larry, here you go. I did not realize I did this many!
https://photos.app.goo.gl/QmNZBJCzcWKBXYTdA
https://photos.app.goo.gl/XnwzzdQxt5tdUGqFA
https://photos.app.goo.gl/yKRjcUu4oQF1SE3r6
https://photos.app.goo.gl/33xJ4imQ7cxNTN79A
https://photos.app.goo.gl/ripGRMhc4qd1Yaca7
https://photos.app.goo.gl/LrpPdZthvKUQSmcM9 this does not look like a jump, but the cb jumps into the ball on the rail.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/FbvFyGYb2JvPNW1x5
Enjoy, and thanks everyone for contributing to my thread!
Whitey

Last edited:

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
From
Klamath Falls, Or.
Miscues are not fouls, but a miscue that ends up jumping over a ball can be called a foul depending upon who's rules you are playing by. It is much the same as scoping underneath the ball to jump, accept it is not intentional.

On Close Proximity Shots, I personally would consider a miscue a foul for this reason. When shooting at an ob within say 1/4" and you miscue, what it does is allows you to get out of stroking the shot properly and not get a foul called. And when the ob is lined up to your scoring pocket then you can simply miscue on purpose and no foul and you make the ball.
A very ugly shot but currently a legal shot.

So the further reasoning is; if you are going to take on a shot that is this difficult in the first place you better be willing to accept the fact that if you miscue it is a foul.

A majority of the time when a ball is this close you can simply shoot on an angle and you still will make the ball.
Whitey

Last edited:

unoperro

Verified Member
I tried a off the rail jumpshot to clear the length of the table , land on the other cushion nose and jump over a ball a diamond away from that cushion, to kick in a 8ball hanging in the side pocket.
My cueball flight path was spot on but I needed the cueball to move over a diamond and it flew straight.
This was a league match against a young mediocre team. Well being young guys,with jump cues,they were blown away by my attempt. Problem is after league they tried jump shots for a hour and destroyed the cloth ,a cue ball , and some wall art. The bar owner gave me a earful the next time I saw him.

Should add I did this with my playing cue not a jump stick.

Last edited:

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
and for the rest, you can jump if you use your playing cue only. so if i am behind the stack i can jump over it and bank one of your balls if i am good enough to jump with my cue that i am playing with.

thats why we always played if you jump your cue ball it is a foul. like if you were knocking a ball in his hole and cue ball off the table.
I was always of the opinion that a pure jump shot should not be legal in pool. Pool is a two dimensional game, and therefore should avoid efforts to bring in the third dimension. However its use is now standard in the game, and is not likely to be removed. I remember when the shot was first being used, and the younger guys thought it was cool. So it was eventually shoe-horned into 9ball, then 1P, although it's use in 1P is very rare.

Jumping off the rail however is different than a pure jump shot, and seems to me to be a more natural occurrence.

beatle

Verified Member
i guess some of the points i brought up should be considered or discussed when putting new things in the rule book. for now it isnt used much so it may not matter. in tournaments with top players most like to see action so the spectators will like it. but for gambling its probably bad.
most times when i play with someone that has multiple cues i specify that you play with the cue and shaft you started the game with or with a house cue off the wall. in nine ball or eight ball i am certainly not playing ball in hand rules with someone that is great at jumping. then its shoot out or no jumping.

beatle

Verified Member
jump shots started out as just a way to hit a ball when hooked. soon players got good and now make the ball and get position as well. in one pocket sooner or later they will get good at hopping balls off the rail first to jump the pack and freeze you on the other side or make balls. or as said make a shaft that jumps well. so it will change the game and ruin it for those that dont get good at this new skill set.

Island Drive

Verified Member
From
florence, colorado
The only good I see in the jump cue for rotation games, is for the crowd. I don't think they allowed it ??? in the US Open 9 ball Mandalay Event in 2019, I could be wrong.

catkins

Verified Member
From
boulder creek ca
jump shots where allowed for us open
I think match room uses a very consistent rule set for all it's events so mosconi masters and us open so far Hopefully after this pandemic they can add a few more international events.

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
From
Klamath Falls, Or.
I just finished watching Efren vs. Scott in '08 challenge match for 5 g's. In which Scott pulled out his jump cue because he could 'not' see how he could get out of the hook that Efren had him in, and Efren objected, referee was present, and Scott stated; " in the past when we gambled the jump cue was allowed".

In the past, "really". Whitey

Last edited:

12squared

Verified Member
From
Fort Collins, CO
This is an old match but louis ulrich jumps a full ball with his playing cue about 1 hour into the match to get out of the break
Not only a good example of jumping using your playing cue, we get to hear our own Kentucky Bill commentate with Lenny.

Here's another example of jumping a ball after the break...this was for $100,000!

Last edited:

Mkbtank

Verified Member
From
Philly Pa
I love these shots and shoot them when they come up. Justin Coyne “The roadman” showed them to me a couple years ago and I fell in love haha. I shot one at the members tournament in Philly on the stream table as a long rail Straightback while jumping the stack. Unfortunately i overcut the OB a hair and pocketed it in the upper pocket, but the cue was safe. Whitey you are the man!!! Great stuff.

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
Not only a good example of jumping using your playing cue, we get to hear our own Kentucky Bill commentate with Lenny.

Here's another example of jumping a ball after the break...this was for $100,000!
The vid asked if it was luck or skill. I'd have to say skill-- he executed it perfectly. But IMO there tends to be variance in these types of accurate jump shots. I'd have to say that the shot was foolhardy, but it was his backer's money. The fact is if he missed pocketing the ball, look what he leaves for the opponent. OTOH that's the way these guys play today.

12squared

Verified Member
From
Fort Collins, CO
The vid asked if it was luck or skill. I'd have to say skill-- he executed it perfectly. But IMO there tends to be variance in these types of accurate jump shots. I'd have to say that the shot was foolhardy, but it was his backer's money. The fact is if he missed pocketing the ball, look what he leaves for the opponent. OTOH that's the way these guys play today.
All true, but seeing it as it happened I was out of my mind.

Rt66

Verified Member
Thank you, Dennis, for posting this shot. Whether legal or not, I do appreciate your execution. You made it look easy!

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
From
Klamath Falls, Or.
Thank you, Dennis, for posting this shot. Whether legal or not, I do appreciate your execution. You made it look easy!
One thing the makes the shot demanding is tempering down your stroke. It is so easy just to fly over the whole stack. That is where the precision comes in, to much stroke you fly over the stack and to little it just does not fly and directly runs into the stack. If you stroke a little to high on the cb it rolls up the cushion and flies over the rail.
That why I say it is for the young, for they can remember how to stroke it, once they got it they got it, because it is a shot you may hardly ever do again, and young coming up players have instant recall.

What I am really appreciated by is members stepping up to support this thread with their shots, other's shots, comments and so forth. It has been great and I hope more shots come up on this thread, if not it has been great!
Thanks guys! Whitey