Official Entry Thread for 2022 Member's Tourney @ Q-Masters

darmoose

Verified Member
From
Baltimore, MD
Just a suggestion, but why don't you take their motivation away and have no cash prizes? Instead just have a perpetual trophy that comes with some serious year long bragging rights. That should keep the vermIn away. I would think most members aren't coming for the cash.
Could increase the opportunities for action, and it would be interesting to see who would not attend without cash prizes...... :unsure:

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
I would think no cash prizes would seriously trim the field. Keep in mind One Pocket has such a strong tradition of being a money game. It is probably the toughest game to get a compatible game from another player without “playing for something”. Grady Mathews used to say that One Pocket historically has been typically played for about the same dollar number per game, as you would see in the same poolroom for a 9-ball set race.

So by far the majority of our members are accustomed to money being involved, and that being part of the appeal — win or lose!!

mr3cushion

Verified Member
From
Cocoa Beach, FL
From 70 to 81 I would not play in any 3C tournaments because NO substantial money in them! Even the 3C Nationals offered none in comparison to what I made going across country gambling. During those years I accumulated a nice BR, and invested fairly well. My mentor wanted to travel to events in his last years and so we did. Since the money/prize fund was not an issue anymore, I did begin to play in US/World sanctioned tournaments. I have to be honest, in comparison to economy, inflation, in USA monies have Not increased by 15% through out All these years. For "ME" it was Always about the cheese!

IMO, for the 'Older/Hardcore players' this event is about, 'Bragging rights' that group will attend regardless. For the, '55 & under' group that may still be working/raising families, getting a pay day will offset their expenses.

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
Even though I am dead money, or middle of the pack at best, I would still rather there be an entry and cash prizes. Didn't we already create some sort of trophy that was going to be passed along to each year's winner or am I thinking of something else?

Z-Nole

I would think no cash prizes would seriously trim the field. Keep in mind One Pocket has such a strong tradition of being a money game. It is probably the toughest game to get a compatible game from another player without “playing for something”. Grady Mathews used to say that One Pocket historically has been typically played for about the same dollar number per game, as you would see in the same poolroom for a 9-ball set race.

So by far the majority of our members are accustomed to money being involved, and that being part of the appeal — win or lose!!
There's always going to be action at a one pocket tournament, one of the best parts of the game is the ease of matching up, but if the goal is to keep the tournament a members only then take the cash prize away or make it smaller. And then bet it up on the side action.
Just a suggestion. Its none of my business but i've been a lurker for years and love the game. And lets face it, the $100 bucks isn't going to stop too many people, even if like me they are dead money. Compared to hotel, airfare and all the rum I'd drink the tournament entry fee is small.

mr3cushion

Verified Member
From
Cocoa Beach, FL
There's always going to be action at a one pocket tournament, one of the best parts of the game is the ease of matching up, but if the goal is to keep the tournament a members only then take the cash prize away or make it smaller. And then bet it up on the side action.
Just a suggestion. Its none of my business but i've been a lurker for years and love the game. And lets face it, the $100 bucks isn't going to stop too many people, even if like me they are dead money. Compared to hotel, airfare and all the rum I'd drink the tournament entry fee is small.
The WINNER will be lucky to break even! And I'm sure All know this. But, in most members words, "It's all about the comradery."

FreeMoney

Verified Member
Just a suggestion, but why don't you take their motivation away and have no cash prizes? Instead just have a perpetual trophy that comes with some serious year long bragging rights. That should keep the vermIn away. I would think most members aren't coming for the cash.
But cash is soooo nice !

lfigueroa

Verified Member

Because that just wouldn't be cricket, er, 1pocket.

BTW, could someone please tell me the start time on Day 1 so I can work out my flight plans.

Lou Figueroa
I'll be the guy wearing the
"Just the facts ma'am" T-shirt

Last edited: