Official Entry Thread for 2022 Member's Tourney @ Q-Masters

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
I'm not going to look back, but I seem to remember that it was 6 mos to be a member and 20 posts before eligible for the MOT. Not sure when that changed?

I thought the intent of the MOT was to socialize with our brethren and competing with them for mostly bragging rights. This is why there is typically no added money and a low entry fee, it's not a money maker. I'm not sure why excellent players would even bother to try to sneak in, there is not much money in it, nor why we would encourage it.

With that said, bring on John Brumback, Dr. Bill and other longtime contributors. We would love for them to play, just not the one time wonders because it's local to them or they're getting backed.

I stand with Jason. 💪👍 ...and I may not be able to go this year but I do feel strongly about this as well.
I agree, the issue is not really how well somebody plays or what their Fargo rate it, it is whether they actually get involved in onepocket.org so we get to know them and value them as a participating member. That is a little harder to put a number on however. But that is really what we want -- meaning we treasure good players like Brumback, Billy, and hacker, Tom Wirth, Ben Smith and others when they get involved here! And any good player that invests in genuine conversation here is going to be welcome with open arms to our tournaments.

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
Apparently whatever rule you are currently going by is nebulous enough that few know what the rule actually is today. What does appear to be clearer though is that the membership is not interested in allowing insincere gamesters rip off the MOT's, expecting them to become something they have no interest in becoming. I think our motives need rethinking.

And just for shits and giggles ....why can't we change the rules anytime we want to? Is playing in our MOT some kind of a right ?
We do have the eligibility requirements on the website and have had them there:

I agree about not letting a pro or semi pro in to get the cash UNLESS they actually contribute. I'd love to see Dr bill, jb, hacker or any other long time member who is that level come play with us!

Last edited:

Mkbtank

Verified Member
From
Philly Pa
I have stated my opinion before as well. Whatever the requirements, I believe they should be met at the day the tournament is announced, period. This was initiated by the membership as a reward and opportunity for current contributing members to knock ‘em around together and compete. I understand the desire to “fill in entrants” and grow the group but is this the right venue to do that? Respectfully I would vote no.

Maybe we start a separate “OnePocket.org Open” which anyone could attend as well!

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
I have stated my opinion before as well. Whatever the requirements, I believe they should be met at the day the tournament is announced, period. This was initiated by the membership as a reward and opportunity for current contributing members to knock ‘em around together and compete. I understand the desire to “fill in entrants” and grow the group but is this the right venue to do that? Respectfully I would vote no.

Maybe we start a separate “OnePocket.org Open” which anyone could attend as well!
If that is the way we did it, we would likely not have a number of stellar active members -- one hole nut for starters. Nearly every MOT we have picked up excellent "new" members. To close the MOT as you announced it would kill that. I am not going there. I put "new" in quotes because sometimes these members joined a long time ago, but they just are not the kind that posting comes naturally -- until the ice gets broken. That was true for J.R. for example. He would have been counted out.

Mkbtank

Verified Member
From
Philly Pa
All good Steve. Just a difference of opinion. You still have the first break when we see each other 👍

Reactions: lll

chicagomike

Verified Member
If that is the way we did it, we would likely not have a number of stellar active members -- one hole nut for starters. Nearly every MOT we have picked up excellent "new" members. To close the MOT as you announced it would kill that. I am not going there. I put "new" in quotes because sometimes these members joined a long time ago, but they just are not the kind that posting comes naturally -- until the ice gets broken. That was true for J.R. for example. He would have been counted out.
I have met so many good people through this site and by attending membership events. It would be a shame that someone who really loves the game would not be attending these events when capable and get involved with our community.

lfigueroa

Verified Member
Every time you let a ringer in it is one more time that regular members fall by the wayside during a tournament and not cash.

I’ve played lots of pros in tournaments and usually get crushed like a ripe grape (except a few times) and if it’s an open event that’s fine. But for a member’s tournament IMO that should be a chance to see how you stack up against other amateurs, your peers.

A regular guy wants to get in, no problem. A player who is by all accounts a high level player who suddenly develops an interest in a member’s tournament, I say: where have you been? We’re not hard to find. Maybe next year after you participate some and we get to know you. How about traveling to another event instead of just the one in your backyard?

The regular guys who hang out here should be the priority — the the guys who pop up to steal, not so much.

Lou Figueroa

Scrzbill

Verified Member
From
Eagles Rest, Wa
Most of the players in these post are a few balls apart if not closer. When the last Memphis tournament was held, the owner got in the tournament and crushed the field. I never heard of him before, and since I have not been around much, is he still here? I thought it was completely inappropriate for him to play. My take on the MOT’s is generally, there are many of us go for the friendship and camaraderie. I used to go to gamble and to provide a service to the group that could not make it. Anyway, I have pretty much left the group after the Memphis débâcle and the Seniors treatment. The pros don’t post here. Why? What would happen if you were faced with T-Rex, SVB, Alex, Efrin, etc. as a MOT event? Nothing is stopping any of them from joining and dominating the group. We have MOT tournaments because most have a chance all be it slim. I have played Dave Gross for the cash many times. It used to go back and forth. Mitch and I used to be close, I taught him too much. I would play almost any member if I were able to actually compete. The MOTs are closed for a reason. Now who wants to come to my house and play? You could end up owning ocean view property.

Attachments

• DB847816-77D2-44F4-BA41-FC13C6486821.jpeg
    DB847816-77D2-44F4-BA41-FC13C6486821.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 7
  • 2B7A6554-B8B2-4451-9B68-540F678E57E0.jpeg
    2B7A6554-B8B2-4451-9B68-540F678E57E0.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 7
  • 607F591E-A678-470E-975B-BE4C675192E3.jpeg
    607F591E-A678-470E-975B-BE4C675192E3.jpeg
    4.6 MB · Views: 7
  • 5EF914E6-3D5D-4ADD-932A-91E6D3F93368.jpeg
    5EF914E6-3D5D-4ADD-932A-91E6D3F93368.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 7

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
Bill, I believe if you had been there at Southern Rec last fall when Andy won, you would feel completely differently. He fit right in just fine and was a pleasure to be around. He won, but even if you had a calcutta the next day, he might not have gone at the top -- it was a very competitive tournament all around, but he came out on top. Comforts of home might have helped lol ;), but I thought he fit right in, both in terms of personality and style of play!

FreeMoney

Verified Member
Most of the players in these post are a few balls apart if not closer. When the last Memphis tournament was held, the owner got in the tournament and crushed the field. I never heard of him before, and since I have not been around much, is he still here? I thought it was completely inappropriate for him to play. My take on the MOT’s is generally, there are many of us go for the friendship and camaraderie. I used to go to gamble and to provide a service to the group that could not make it. Anyway, I have pretty much left the group after the Memphis débâcle and the Seniors treatment. The pros don’t post here. Why? What would happen if you were faced with T-Rex, SVB, Alex, Efrin, etc. as a MOT event? Nothing is stopping any of them from joining and dominating the group. We have MOT tournaments because most have a chance all be it slim. I have played Dave Gross for the cash many times. It used to go back and forth. Mitch and I used to be close, I taught him too much. I would play almost any member if I were able to actually compete. The MOTs are closed for a reason. Now who wants to come to my house and play? You could end up owning ocean view property.
I'll need that address. LOL

lfigueroa

Verified Member
If a previously unknown high speed player gets in, he will eliminate or send to the losers bracket two, three, four guys -- presumably regular members of this site -- on his march to the last four. Guys who would otherwise be in the mix.

To allow, if not endorse that, is a bloody shame.

Lou Figueroa

Last edited:

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
If a previously unknown high speed player gets in, he will eliminate or send to the losers bracket two, three, four guys -- presumably regular members of this site -- on his march to the last four. Guys who would otherwise be in the mix.

To allow, if not endorse that, is a bloody shame.

Lou Figueroa
Lou we want, and we respect, good players here at onepocket.org -- we could use more! It is a double edged sword though, of course.

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
Lou we want, and we respect, good players here at onepocket.org -- we could use more! It is a double edged sword though, of course.
yes we would like more good players to contribute their knowledge and experience on the site and on a regular basis.
do we want more good players to just come and snap off a tournament???
just askin

mr3cushion

Verified Member
From
Cocoa Beach, FL
yes we would like more good players to contribute their knowledge and experience on the site and on a regular basis.
do we want more good players to just come and snap off a tournament???
just askin
!00% correct Larry! Then the other side of the coin is. "Why don't more Top players, post here and share their elite knowledge?"