Official Entry Thread for 2022 Member's Tourney @ Q-Masters

FreeMoney

Verified Member
Tempted to book this if there would be interest -- it seems like it is about 5 miles away and has 4 bedrooms, and a game room with a pool table

That is not an area I would recommend :-(

Reactions: lll

FreeMoney

Verified Member
Could you give us a general area to look?
That is an impossible task. Too many too list. The hotels around Q-Masters are all good. Anything in the resort area (Oceanfront) are all good.
Steve was looking at a private rental in a residential neighborhood that is a high crime area. There are plenty of Air B&B rentals in nice neighborhoods too. If you guys have any questions about an area you are considering I'm happy to give my opinion. I'm a Real Estate agent & have lived here most of my life.

1 HOLE NUT

Verified Member
From
Biloxi, Ms.
Because it is my favorite game and I live close by😁
Brian I mean no disrespect at all in the post, you are actually in my Top 5 favorite One Hole players, but I feel like this needs to be said no matter how it plays out.
Each time this site puts on a members tournament someone does exactly what you are trying to do, and that is asked to play, find out what the MINIMUM requirements are to play and do just that, then after the tournament win or lose they return to being a silent lurkers till they see another opportunity to gain finically. I have to admit I did the same exact thing for the 1st annual Tournament that was being held in Chalemette La. maybe in 2016 or so, but I 1: Continued to comment or post to this day 2: Continued to go to all other MOT's with exception of Cali, which I wish I could have attended and 3: My skill level puts me about in the middle of the pack of all the members that attend these events.
I put your skill level at least a ball and a half maybe 2 balls better than the "TOP TIER" players at these events, which means you are not guaranteed to win but players my level and below will basically be donating to the event. It will not stop me from attending but it may stop alot of other players that is or was thinking about coming. Also potentially hurt future events.
I believe you have always been the gamble 1st, tournament 2nd kind of guy so instead of posting just to play, with the average 1st place being around $1,200+/-, what if you just set up some matches to play that is worth more than what you could win in the event. 70% of the field likes to gamble as well. I personally can guarantee as least $500 worth of action if we can agree on the spot.
Again I'm not speaking for anyone else on the forum, just voicing my opinion, and I have nothing but respect for you and everyone on this site.

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
Brian I mean no disrespect at all in the post, you are actually in my Top 5 favorite One Hole players, but I feel like this needs to be said no matter how it plays out.
Each time this site puts on a members tournament someone does exactly what you are trying to do, and that is asked to play, find out what the MINIMUM requirements are to play and do just that, then after the tournament win or lose they return to being a silent lurkers till they see another opportunity to gain finically. I have to admit I did the same exact thing for the 1st annual Tournament that was being held in Chalemette La. maybe in 2016 or so, but I 1: Continued to comment or post to this day 2: Continued to go to all other MOT's with exception of Cali, which I wish I could have attended and 3: My skill level puts me about in the middle of the pack of all the members that attend these events.
I put your skill level at least a ball and a half maybe 2 balls better than the "TOP TIER" players at these events, which means you are not guaranteed to win but players my level and below will basically be donating to the event. It will not stop me from attending but it may stop alot of other players that is or was thinking about coming. Also potentially hurt future events.
I believe you have always been the gamble 1st, tournament 2nd kind of guy so instead of posting just to play, with the average 1st place being around $1,200+/-, what if you just set up some matches to play that is worth more than what you could win in the event. 70% of the field likes to gamble as well. I personally can guarantee as least $500 worth of action if we can agree on the spot.
Again I'm not speaking for anyone else on the forum, just voicing my opinion, and I have nothing but respect for you and everyone on this site.
jason
i agree 100% with your post above

chicagomike

Verified Member
I agree with J also…well spoken without being disrespectful. Just an honest evaluation of the situation which others might be also thinking. Maybe he could host a short clinic for a few hours while everyone is there.

rnewkirk

Verified Member
From
Weatherford, TX
Hear, Hear!!! 👍 There are plenty of tables for action.

OldSchool

Verified Member

Each time this site puts on a members tournament someone does exactly what you are trying to do, and that is asked to play, find out what the MINIMUM requirements are to play and do just that, then after the tournament win or lose they return to being a silent lurkers till they see another opportunity to gain financially. I have to admit I did the same exact thing for the 1st annual Tournament that was being held in Chalemette La. maybe in 2016 or so, but I 1: Continued to comment or post to this day 2: Continued to go to all other MOT's with exception of Cali, which I wish I could have attended and 3: My skill level puts me about in the middle of the pack of all the members that attend these events.

Jason, it doesn't affect me, since for health reasons I cannot play in the tournament, but I think you are 1,000% correct in everything you said. And it's a repeat of Ike Runnels trying to get into the tournament last year. Imo, the MOT should be ONLY for members who have been regular posters and part of the onepocket.org brotherhood for, at least, several months, if not years. If I were in Steve Booth's position, no way would I allow a pro, semi-pro, or strong shortstop level player to enter the tournament who hadn't already been a regularly contributing member for quite some time.

- Old School

Last edited:

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
It is a bad look to number your posts, and have that so clearly be the main purpose. BWhite, I don’t think I know you, and I look forward to meeting you, and I sure hope your intent is a more meaningful contribution to the forum conversations.

Thank you — “Steve Booth” 😀

darmoose

Verified Member
From
Baltimore, MD
I agree with Jason also. In fact I think we should establish some sort of rule about this type of thing, so no member has to bring it up on his own. I think requiring a mere 20 posts is weak and lends itself to game playing. Perhaps a minimum time as a member prior to a MOT should be looked at. It does the org no good to allow our tournaments to be ripped off by insincere applicants.

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
We do have an established rule: one month and 20 posts darmoose. Maybe what you meant to say is we might need to move the bar? It’s what our rule is now, and I respect that. If you all want to make suggestions for the future, fine, but we can’t change rules midstream imo.

How about we welcome a good player and look for him to make himself welcome too 😀😀

lfigueroa

Verified Member
Jason, it doesn't affect me, since for health reasons I cannot play in the tournament, but I think you are 1,000% correct in everything you said. And it's a repeat of Ike trying to get into the tournament last year. Imo, the MOT should be ONLY for members who have been regular posters and part of the onepocket.org brotherhood for, at least, several months, if not years. If I were in Steve Booth's position, no way would I allow a pro, semi-pro, or strong shortstop level player to enter the tournament who hadn't already been a regularly contributing member for quite some time.

- Old School

I have expressed the same sentiment for many years.

What I believe most guys sign up for is to play and interact with guys they may only know online -- the guys they have come to know, perhaps only by a login name, the sentiments they've shared, or the arguments they’ve had. Maybe they’ve just met once or twice and shared a few yuks at other events together. It's comaradrie and bragging rights.

So some local hot shots show up, or some ace, they dutifully log the prerequisite number of posts and basically steal the monies with the group allowing them to take off members. Those guys are then never heard from again until the next local event.

I thought we were all pool players and smart cookies about getting ripped off or at least making bad games.

Lou Figueroa
guess not

Last edited:

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
my 3 cents
i have been a member since 2007
with over 17,000 posts.... :eek: :eek: :eek:
the member only tourneys i went to were SPECIFICALLY to meet the person behind the screen name i had been interacting with for years
i dont play so good so i know i am dead money
but i am happy to contribute as i did anonymously in the past for various things
to help the site
i know steve wants to allow "newcomers" to participate to promote the site and add members
but i think the "newcomers "can pay their dues gambling with the guys that want to gamble
or play with the guys that dont gamble much like me
so that we can get to know them
i would say a 2 year participation
not membership date
and at least 60 posts
thats less than 3 a month
to prove you are "one of the guys"
then you are really a member contributing to the site
and should be included in a MEMBERS only tournament
jmho
icbw
and by the way i may not make it this year buts thats how i feel about the subject

crabbcatjohn

Verified Member
From
Benton, Ky.
We do have an established rule: one month and 20 posts darmoose. Maybe what you meant to say is we might need to move the bar? It’s what our rule is now, and I respect that. If you all want to make suggestions for the future, fine, but we can’t change rules midstream imo.

How about we welcome a good player and look for him to make himself welcome too 😀😀
The rule of 6 months verified membership, 20 posts at least 30 days before the tournament is broken and either forgotten or unusable.

We need a list of approved players. That way we are assured to weed out all the non active posters who can use the lax rules against us.
Any players in doubt at any time before a tournament can be voted on by the tournament committee in private. We can use the current committee. If you aren't on the list you can request to be approved by the committee. Long term known members who have played can easilly be added at any time they request.

That also keeps Steve from getting grief for approving players on his own. But the main thing is we don't go through this every time...lol
Another problem is allowing late new member entries as seat fillers. That also comes up.. If we need a few spots filled and there are a few local lower to mid level players who want to join and play... boom.. committee can approve or reject right away by vote.

Another solution to a 760 Fargo player abusing us is to not include them in the auction...no rules against that...

12squared

Verified Member
From
Fort Collins, CO

I'm not going to look back, but I seem to remember that it was 6 mos to be a member and 20 posts before eligible for the MOT. Not sure when that changed?

I thought the intent of the MOT was to socialize with our brethren and competing with them for mostly bragging rights. This is why there is typically no added money and a low entry fee, it's not a money maker. I'm not sure why excellent players would even bother to try to sneak in, there is not much money in it, nor why we would encourage it.

With that said, bring on John Brumback, Dr. Bill and other longtime contributors. We would love for them to play, just not the one time wonders because it's local to them or they're getting backed.

I stand with Jason. 💪👍 ...and I may not be able to go this year but I do feel strongly about this as well.

Miller

Verified Member
From
East St. Louis Area
The rule of 6 months verified membership, 20 posts at least 30 days before the tournament is broken and either forgotten or unusable.

We need a list of approved players. That way we are assured to weed out all the non active posters who can use the lax rules against us.
Any players in doubt at any time before a tournament can be voted on by the tournament committee in private. We can use the current committee. If you aren't on the list you can request to be approved by the committee. Long term known members who have played can easilly be added at any time they request.

That also keeps Steve from getting grief for approving players on his own. But the main thing is we don't go through this every time...lol
Another problem is allowing late new member entries as seat fillers. That also comes up.. If we need a few spots filled and there are a few local lower to mid level players who want to join and play... boom.. committee can approve or reject right away by vote.

Another solution to a 760 Fargo player abusing us is to not include them in the auction...no rules against that...

fwiw.....this is what was done/originated for the first memphis tourney. (btw...it was 6 months verified membership (established/existing) the day the tourney was announced.)

carry on.....:rolleyes:

darmoose

Verified Member
From
Baltimore, MD

Apparently whatever rule you are currently going by is nebulous enough that few know what the rule actually is today. What does appear to be clearer though is that the membership is not interested in allowing insincere gamesters rip off the MOT's, expecting them to become something they have no interest in becoming. I think our motives need rethinking.

And just for shits and giggles ....why can't we change the rules anytime we want to? Is playing in our MOT some kind of a right ?