Official 2020 One Pocket Hall of Fame Nominations

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
I remember writing extensively about Camp, Camp and Fat, Camp and Beanie. Freddie and I had some posts about Camp.
I'm sure those are long gone, Taylor told me Camp was the best money player of all, said he'd play one game for all he had, however much it was, play his top speed. I voted for him every time but we both got too old.
If those posts were here they should still be here because everything is archived even with the software changes.

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
I do really think steve boothe woudl be a great addition to hall of fame. I think alex pagulayan is a shoe in I also like the idea of john henderson not only for years of playing high level one pocket but the work he has done to promote pool for his entire life.
Thank you but I don’t qualify :)

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
Yes, it would make a big difference for the dinner experience whether a living player or family member of a deceased player could attend or not. Also whether there was anyone available to sort of “speak for” the inductee. And definitely, if a living player declined to attend — other than for major health reasons for example —but if it was just because they chose not to,I would consider that a major snub and would rather they just up front declined the induction if they don’t wish to be recognized in the manner we have chosen to recognize our honorees.
Steve, what are your thoughts on a "Heritage" distinction, which I believe you brought up about 15 years ago? I've often sympathized with your task of trying to locate a relative of any deceased winner in order to accept his award. But for a Heritage distinction the expectation would not be the same as for a long passed player. Certainly someone like Johnny "Irish" Lineen, Johnny Vives, Marcel Camp, or even Johnny Ervolino would not likely have someone related to contact. A few attendees might be able to comment about such player at the dinner. But the player would still have his listing.

The Heritage guy could be a nice addition to whatever live --or more recently passed-- player who would have proper recognition by accepting the award himself, or by a relative of a deceased player.

At any rate, something like that is likely the only way we'll ever get some of the deserving early timers into the HOF.

~Doc

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
I remember writing extensively about Camp, Camp and Fat, Camp and Beanie. Freddie and I had some posts about Camp.
I'm sure those are long gone, Taylor told me Camp was the best money player of all, said he'd play one game for all he had, however much it was, play his top speed. I voted for him every time but we both got too old.
i hope this helps MARCEL CAMP get elected

demonrho

Verified Member
From
SoCal
1. Alex P - no brainer
2. Jean-Robert Bellande (Tall Bobby) - who's drummed up more action?

JohnInNH

Verified Member
From
GOFFSTOWN, NH
I've made some of these nominations before:

One Pocket: Marcel Camp, Johnny Ervolino, Francisco Bustamante,

Bank Pool: Francisco Bustamante.

BRLongArm

Verified Member
I would suggest if an old timer is going to get elected this year, the members decide on one legend and everyone get behind him. Then rinse and repeat next year. It seems Marcel Camp is getting the most positive mention this time. Rather than water the vote down, I would recommend that he be nominated, along with Alex Pagulayan and Francisco Bustamante. As for banks, it has been a while since someone went in, but Bustamante is a clear choice for that discipline as well, being a two time Derby city champion and a legendary ace at banks.

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
I'm all for Marcel Camp, although I'd also support Johnny Vevis. Alex was always going to be a shoo-in. If he's met the time criterion, then this may be his year. He started playing good 1P in the early 21st Century (2004, 2005?). Bustamante is trickier. He's old enough in terms of length of time as a top rotation player. His 1P has been world class only in the past few years. Re his banks, he first won the DCC in 2013, but I don't know when he started playing top banks.

~Doc

BRLongArm

Verified Member
Our record book has Alex coming in 2nd to Nick Varner in the 2000 World one pocket Championships. That is definitely proof that he was a contender 20 years ago.

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
Well, every year we're faced with the proposition of trying to not to snub the earlier players, like Johnny Vevis, who won the first Johnston City tournament in 1961 (it was only 1P that year). Also it would be a shame to ignore other older time players like Marcel Camp, and even Johnny Ervolino. There are a couple of others.

Years back Steve had floated the idea of a "Heritage" category along with the other three. It might be a reasonable idea to reconsider it, especially since the old time players hardly get enough votes simply because most players today have not seen any of them play. However there are glowing references to them in some of Steve's interviews of the great names.

At any rate I hope some day all these great early players can get the recognition they deserve for advancing and spreading the game that we all love.

~Doc
Thank you, Doc it's true that the longer we wait and pass up the older deserving players the less likely they are to be recognized and inducted, let's get this done. Players like Johnny Ervolino, Marcel Camp, Johnny Vevis, Marvin Henderson, Cecil Tugwell, Mark Tadd, and your friend Mike Surber. Mike was a very strong player and a gentleman to boot he would be a great nomination on many levels. I would venture to say that the best five Black players ever to play one pocket would include Marvin Henderson, Cecil Tugwell, and Mark Tadd.

Dr. Bill

Last edited:

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
I saw this thread in the forums back from 2004 and wanted to share a blast from the past.

Look at the names on this ballot that was voted on for HOF 16 years ago!

Wow, what a list! :)

Last edited:

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
Thank you, Doc it's true that the longer we wait and pass up the older deserving players the less likely they are to be recognized and inducted, let's get this done. Players like Johnny Ervolino, Marcel Camp, Johnny Vevis, Marvin Henderson, Cecil Tugwell, Mark Tadd, and your friend Mike Surber. Mike was a very strong player and a gentleman to boot he would be a great nomination on many levels. I would venture to say that the best five Black players ever to play one pocket would include Marvin Henderson, Cecil Tugwell, and Mark Tadd. Dr. Bill
Glad you agree, Bill. It would be a shame to ignore the early timers. Actually Marvin Henderson is already in the 1P HOF, as are most of the players from the early ballot that CincyKid posted above, except Marvin. So maybe he'll make it this year.

As much as I love Mike, he may be in the same situation as Cecil or Tadd: great players who were a threat to beat anyone in any given match, but they were not in the very top tier. But you know Tugwell's and Tadd's play better than I do.

I do think that Johnny Vevis and Johnny Ervolino really ought to go in at some point.

~Doc

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
I'm all for Marcel Camp, although I'd also support Johnny Vevis. Alex was always going to be a shoo-in. If he's met the time criterion, then this may be his year. He started playing good 1P in the early 21st Century (2004, 2005?). Bustamante is trickier. He's old enough in terms of length of time as a top rotation player. His 1P has been world class only in the past few years. Re his banks, he first won the DCC in 2013, but I don't know when he started playing top banks.

~Doc
Alex finished 2nd vs a tough field at one of Grady’s “world or legends” tourneys in Portland ME in 2000 — I was there! — so he def has the 20 years covered.

Scrzbill

Verified Member
From
Eagles Rest, Wa
I’ve been clamoring for Bustamante for a few years….glad to see others recognize his resume as well.

----------

Regarding categories #2 and #3, I’m gonna be a bit of a homer here and submit the following nominations…..

*John “The Gentleman” Henderson. Played, road-tripped, with or against all the legends of a couple different eras. Still gets it on. Had a regional publication promoting pool. For a lifetime hardcore scuff, one of the genuinely nicest guys you could meet – hence the moniker “Gentleman John” (that doesn’t mean that he still won’t take your cash…). Actively participates on onepocket.org and readily shares knowledge gained over decades of hard-leaned experience.

*Frank “Da Barber” Almanza. An absolutely feared player in his prime (which was a long prime) – can still beat anyone in a short race. Like Hendy – forgettaboutit – one of the nicest, accommodating gentleman you could meet who conducts himself like a “man’s man” – the kind of guy you can’t help but to look up to. Also, actively participates on onepocket.org and readily shares knowledge gained over decades of hard-leaned experience.

*Tom “Tom-Tom” Wirth. Pick up the phone and call Tom – regarding a match-up question, a bit of pool room wisdom how to handle a situation, or a question about the game itself – you will get an answer with deliberate sincerity. One of the best sticks on the east coast for years with a couple nice tourney Ws under his belt. “One Pocket – A game of Controlled Aggression” is the best work to date on the subject, let alone the educational YouTube videos. Also, actively participates on onepocket.org and readily shares knowledge gained over decades of hard-leaned experience.

*Steve “New Hampshire Steve” Booth. Started and administers the quintessential internet site on one pocket that has at least a thousand hits daily. Founder of the One Pocket and Bank Pool Hall of Fame. Has conducted numerous interviews with the greats that is memorialized for anyone to read along with being one of the great pool photographers actively at work. In the process of writing/publishing a book on the subject of one pocket (if he ever quits fukn around it gets it done…..). The popularity that the game of one pocket has today is and should – to some degree, be rightfully attributed to Steve.

-Miller
;)
I will second the nomination of “Gentleman John” John Henderson for category three. No one, no one has done more for pool and one pocket than Mr John for 65 years. When a youngster in LA, he played all the players, all the rising stars, all the people who wanted to gamble. As he gravitated towards the San Francisco Bay, his reputation and his skills broaden. He had a news letter which he published for many years sending it to pool rooms all over N. California. His road partners were San Jose Dick, The Real Fast Eddy, and other lesser knowns. He still plays at a very high level of one pocket, coming in first or second in the very tough monthly one pocket tournament in Sacramento. There’s not a one pocket player in California, née the West Coast, that doesn’t know of Johns skills and knowledge of the game. What he has given to one pocket and pool itself could never be matched by any award ever given but I think we should at least try. He meets or exceeds all criteria in Section Three of the nomination guidelines and I am glad that Miller has nominated him.

Scrzbill

Verified Member
From
Eagles Rest, Wa
Glad you agree, Bill. It would be a shame to ignore the early timers. Actually Marvin Henderson is already in the 1P HOF, as are most of the players from the early ballot that CincyKid posted above, except Marvin. So maybe he'll make it this year.

As much as I love Mike, he may be in the same situation as Cecil or Tadd: great players who were a threat to beat anyone in any given match, but they were not in the very top tier. But you know Tugwell's and Tadd's play better than I do.

I do think that Johnny Vevis and Johnny Ervolino really ought to go in at some point.

~Doc
I still don’t understand why these players are not inducted by fiat. We could make a list of ten or more players and every year take three of them. Keep adding to the list until we have exhausted the players before us. I don’t think Bob Bolles would have been inducted to the banks HOF if no one had seen him play that was still alive. Heritage players, yes

Island Drive

Verified Member
From
florence, colorado

~Doc
Tadd was not as skillful as Medina during his heyday. I lost to Tad Twice 11-10 during those years, and the LA Open, and I know his game is no where near as intimidating, or with as much fire power, as Danny Medina when he got rolling. He did have some Great years, but not 20 -30.

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
Yes Tadd sure did get on a roll for a while, but he kind of stepped out of pool for a long time also. That is vvery different than say Raphael Martinez (still living) or Marcel Camp or Johnny Ervolino -- neither of whom ever walked away from One Pocket or pool in general. That means a lot to me.

12squared

Verified Member
From
Fort Collins, CO
I will second the nomination of “Gentleman John” John Henderson for category three. No one, no one has done more for pool and one pocket than Mr John for 65 years. When a youngster in LA, he played all the players, all the rising stars, all the people who wanted to gamble. As he gravitated towards the San Francisco Bay, his reputation and his skills broaden. He had a news letter which he published for many years sending it to pool rooms all over N. California. His road partners were San Jose Dick, The Real Fast Eddy, and other lesser knowns. He still plays at a very high level of one pocket, coming in first or second in the very tough monthly one pocket tournament in Sacramento. There’s not a one pocket player in California, née the West Coast, that doesn’t know of Johns skills and knowledge of the game. What he has given to one pocket and pool itself could never be matched by any award ever given but I think we should at least try. He meets or exceeds all criteria in Section Three of the nomination guidelines and I am glad that Miller has nominated him.
I too would like to nominate John Henderson for this year's one pocket hall of fame.

Although John has not been in the very top tier of the all-time greats, he has played very well for 50 + years and takes on all comers. And there has never been a better ambassador to the sport. If I owned a poolroom, John would never pay time because not only is he a pleasure to be around, he drums up action like crazy.

It's John's time!

Oh yeah, Marcel Camp, Alex and Busti should go in too. 😁

Dave