Official 2018 HOF discussion thread

onepocket

Administrator
Staff member
Please post all your comments related to the Hall of Fame voting here, not in the ballot thread. Any posts in the ballot thread will be moved here.

Selection criteria for the One Pocket Hall of Fame:

1. Great Players who have demonstrated their excellence in tournament competition over time.
2. After Hours Legends who have demonstrated their excellence and their heart by matching up against the best of their time.
3. Teachers or Promoters of the game who have had a lasting impact on the growth and popularity of One Pocket.

These are not separate categories, but rather are the all around qualities that have made every member of our Hall of Fame names that are solidly associated with the game of One Pocket.

Please note you can vote for more than one candidate, but be sure to select all of the candidates you wish to vote for before you submit your vote. Once you submit your vote it cannot be changed, so be sure to complete your selections carefully before you click on the “Vote Now” button.

onepocket

Administrator
Staff member
There will not be a Banks ballot this year because we did not receive enough nominations to warrant a vote this year. This is something for you all to think about for next year, because I am sure there are other good Banks candidates out there.

Also I did not include several forum members (including myself) who were nominated. Honestly popular forum members here have a very strong advantage both in the nomination process and in the voting, and until we have a special way to handle those candidates, I am employing executive decision to make sure the field of candidates is not forum-member weighted. I am sorry to disappoint some of you on that.

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
Nice list, Steve, and you make some valid points.

I tried to vote for more than one candidate, but the poll would not allow it. Do the mechanics need tweaking, or is it my computer?

Thanks,
~Doc

onepocket

Administrator
Staff member
Sorry I missed that -- should be all set now I had to completely redo it though.

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
All fixed, thanks Steve!

I had to vote for my 2 Cincinnati boys Joey and Clem but there are a lot of deserving names on that list!

OneRock

Verified Member
From
South Florida
Eddie Robin memorialized most of those old-timers on the ballot in his two very famous books: 'Winning One-Pocket' and 'Shots, Moves, & Strategies'. He also played as well as anyone for a period of time, according to the likes of Freddie the Beard (or was he talking about Ed Kelly?). Anyway, by honoring him, you'd be honoring all those he brought into the limelight.

But that's my opinion.

Last edited:

LSJohn

Verified Member
From
monett missouri
Also I did not include several forum members (including myself) who were nominated. Honestly popular forum members here have a very strong advantage both in the nomination process and in the voting, and until we have a special way to handle those candidates, I am employing executive decision to make sure the field of candidates is not forum-member weighted. I am sorry to disappoint some of you on that.

We have a few qualified and deserving, but you are 100% right, IMO.

After this vote, it would be a good project to entertain creative ideas on how we might fairly overcome this problem. We can name at least three of our guys right off the top of our heads who have increased the general popularity and growth of one pocket through both skill and personality just by being in it. (And I don't want to even TRY to open the matter of your contributions to the game.)

Then there's Monster Keith, who maybe shouldn't be eliminated from consideration; a Monster is a Monster!

My $.02

LSJohn

Verified Member
From
monett missouri
I'm surprised that Harold Worst didn't make the nominations. (Not that I know anything about him but what I've read.)

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
i want to emphasize what i have said previously
be sure to give due to the old timers who deserve the honor before those of us who remember them or at least know of them are gone and they are forgotten
i am not saying scott and jeremy are not worthy
rafael although talented and VERY entertaining to me is borderline HOF (jmho /icbw)
if they get in this year great
but if they dont
they will eventually
for the record i did include some young guns along with some of the oldtimers in my vote

JAM

Verified Member
After hours and entertaining.

Shown here on Queens Boulevard West trying to bark up a game with Ginky's sidekick, the poker kid Nick. If there's action in the joint, Keith will find it or make it happen. And everybody draws near to watch the Keith McCready Show during the barkfest. That's the best part! :D

Attachments

• keith and ryan number 2 in NYC.JPG
    keith and ryan number 2 in NYC.JPG
    17.9 KB · Views: 0

OneRock

Verified Member
From
South Florida
Not sure I'd vote the way I did after reading this. Yes, the books were a great contribution, but are they enough to warrant HOF induction? I don't think so.

http://www.billiardsdigest.com/showblogentry.php?id=111

Eddie Robin memorialized most of those old-timers on the ballot in his two very famous books: 'Winning One-Pocket' and 'Shots, Moves, & Strategies'. He also played as well as anyone for a period of time, according to the likes of Freddie the Beard (or was he talking about Ed Kelly?). Anyway, by honoring him, you'd be honoring all those he brought into the limelight.

But that's my opinion.

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
Re Worst and Robin: My guess is that Harold Worst was not included in the nominations list because he simply didn't play 1P long enough. He was arguably a lethal player-- some think the best of all time at all games. But the man had a horribly early demise at age 37 in 1966-- just about the time that one-pocket was starting to become more widely known. He's in the BCA HOF, and likely in the USBA or similar HOF, since his initial world champion game was 3C. As I recall, he was considered before, but didn't receive enough votes.

Eddie Robin's two books on one-pocket are probably enough to qualify for his consideration into the Teachers & Promoters category. They've both been the subjects of much discussion and learning since their publication in the late 1990s. Robin has come up several times in past years, but in the end he was passed over for more deserving candidates such as the Jansco Brothers and Greg Sullivan.

The Fels' article cast a negative light on Robin, and although much of it may be true, Fels and Robin had a history. As I recall, our own Freddy B. did not like Robin, and had several unfriendly exchanges with him in the forums. I hope I'm not mis-remembering this.

I only had two conversations with Robin, and a couple of Emails. He does seem to be eccentric, opinionated, and somewhat obnoxious; but likewise that could describe many in the general pool community..:)

IMO Robin will come up again for consideration in the future in the Teachers & Promoters category, and it's reasonable that he be honored.

~Doc

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
doc
you always have a great way to voice your opinion
i agree that eddie for the books alone should at some point get recognition for
his educational contribution to the game

GriffinG

Verified Member
From
NW Indiana
Despite his undeniable contributions on paper, to me, Eddie Robin is not an ambassador of the game and will never get my vote, here's why...

Several years ago, in a quest for the greatest Christmas gift she could find, my thoughtful wife bought me a copy of Shots, Moves & Strategies directly from Eddie. She knew I was just entering the early stages of an obsession with the game of 1p, and despite not having developed any real ability in the game yet, I had an insatiable appetite for information. Along with the book, the purchase included a phone lesson with Eddie, which put me over the moon! I couldn't believe it, one of the greatest books on the greatest game, and a chance to learn directly from the author himself! You couldn't scrape the smile off my face if you tried.
I set up the phone call with Eddie, I remember every detail of the scenario. I even drove somewhere that I knew would have great reception, so there was no chance I'd drop the call as sometimes happened at home. Got my notebook and pen all ready, set myself up with a drink and a cozy spot to write, and made the call. I even considered voice recording the whole thing just to ensure I didn't miss a word in my notes.

The call started off as you would expect, introductions and whatnot. Eddie asked me how long I'd been playing 1p. I told him just for the past few months, but that I loved it and couldn't get enough. I probably sounded like a kid on Christmas morning.
Eddie said he wanted to get a gauge for how I play so he was going to ask me a few questions.
"Can you run 100 balls playing straight pool?" -No, to be honest, I've never really played straight pool. (keep in mind I'm not a rookie, I've been playing consistently for 15 years- 9 ball, 10 ball, 8 ball)
"How many spot shots out of 10 can you make on a 9' table with 4.5" pockets?" -I'd say 5-6 probably, depending on the day. Don't have many big tables around really so it's kind of hard to say.

Then he drops it on me in no uncertain terms... "You have absolutely no business playing one pocket."

I'll never forget that moment, ever. I felt completely crushed.
He goes on to tell me, if you can't run 100 balls playing straight pool and can't make at least 8 out of 10 spot shots, don't even bother playing the game. He seemed almost annoyed that I'd bought his book and was talking to him right now. It was awful, and the tone didn't change until I hung up the phone.

What was supposed to be an enlightening Q&A between an eager student of the game and a knowledgeable ambassador, turned into an abrupt slap in the face. He offered no further advice, espoused on about the state of pool and the hardships of having to sell his book to make a living, and cut our call short because it wasn't worth it to waste the time trying to help someone learn the game who has no business playing it.

I've since gone on to learn the game via lessons, advice, or grinding with some of my area's best players. I developed and run a successful 1p cash league in my area, bringing the game to new players every session. I've studied (and will continue to study) the great authors, players, and commentators available to me but I will never forget that moment.

To this very day, I cannot get down on a spot shot without thinking about him. In my mind, no real ambassador of this great game would do what he did to me that day. He will not earn my vote, for what little that's worth.

jrhendy

Verified Member
From
Placerville, CA
Despite his undeniable contributions on paper, to me, Eddie Robin is not an ambassador of the game and will never get my vote, here's why...

Several years ago, in a quest for the greatest Christmas gift she could find, my thoughtful wife bought me a copy of Shots, Moves & Strategies directly from Eddie. She knew I was just entering the early stages of an obsession with the game of 1p, and despite not having developed any real ability in the game yet, I had an insatiable appetite for information. Along with the book, the purchase included a phone lesson with Eddie, which put me over the moon! I couldn't believe it, one of the greatest books on the greatest game, and a chance to learn directly from the author himself! You couldn't scrape the smile off my face if you tried.
I set up the phone call with Eddie, I remember every detail of the scenario. I even drove somewhere that I knew would have great reception, so there was no chance I'd drop the call as sometimes happened at home. Got my notebook and pen all ready, set myself up with a drink and a cozy spot to write, and made the call. I even considered voice recording the whole thing just to ensure I didn't miss a word in my notes.

The call started off as you would expect, introductions and whatnot. Eddie asked me how long I'd been playing 1p. I told him just for the past few months, but that I loved it and couldn't get enough. I probably sounded like a kid on Christmas morning.
Eddie said he wanted to get a gauge for how I play so he was going to ask me a few questions.
"Can you run 100 balls playing straight pool?" -No, to be honest, I've never really played straight pool. (keep in mind I'm not a rookie, I've been playing consistently for 15 years- 9 ball, 10 ball, 8 ball)
"How many spot shots out of 10 can you make on a 9' table with 4.5" pockets?" -I'd say 5-6 probably, depending on the day. Don't have many big tables around really so it's kind of hard to say.

Then he drops it on me in no uncertain terms... "You have absolutely no business playing one pocket."

I'll never forget that moment, ever. I felt completely crushed.
He goes on to tell me, if you can't run 100 balls playing straight pool and can't make at least 8 out of 10 spot shots, don't even bother playing the game. He seemed almost annoyed that I'd bought his book and was talking to him right now. It was awful, and the tone didn't change until I hung up the phone.

What was supposed to be an enlightening Q&A between an eager student of the game and a knowledgeable ambassador, turned into an abrupt slap in the face. He offered no further advice, espoused on about the state of pool and the hardships of having to sell his book to make a living, and cut our call short because it wasn't worth it to waste the time trying to help someone learn the game who has no business playing it.

I've since gone on to learn the game via lessons, advice, or grinding with some of my area's best players. I developed and run a successful 1p cash league in my area, bringing the game to new players every session. I've studied (and will continue to study) the great authors, players, and commentators available to me but I will never forget that moment.

To this very day, I cannot get down on a spot shot without thinking about him. In my mind, no real ambassador of this great game would do what he did to me that day. He will not earn my vote, for what little that's worth.

Not a good experience but it may have ignited your quest to become a better player.

I met Eddie in the early 80’s at California Billiards in San Jose, CA. This large room had five or six three cushion tables and hosted the national nournament quite often. To say he was not a warm and fuzzy guy would be an understatement. He gave lessons to three cushion players and sold them shots diagramed on a 3 x 5 card. He was friendly to the billiard crowd, but like many of the three cushion players, kind of looked down his nose at pool players.