Official 2018 HOF discussion thread

LSJohn

Verified Member
From
monett missouri
Greg Stevens sure fits the mold for me, what a player he was and brought a steady crowd to the pool room on a weekly basis, played all games well, excelled at 9 ball and played One hole, 14-1, snooker and three cushion as well as anybody!

He's a good choice despite the fact that he ran out of money and backers from time to time. Of course, running out of money might be an action qualifier. :heh

I always thought snooker -- or anything on a snooker table -- was his best game.

baby huey

Verified Member
JJ is a great selection. Although I voted for Scott, JJ certainly is worthy of the HOF nomination. Good job Steve setting up the voting system and to all contributors on the discussion points and final selection process.

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
Greg Stevens sure fits the mold for me, what a player he was and brought a steady crowd to the pool room on a weekly basis, played all games well, excelled at 9 ball and played One hole, 14-1, snooker and three cushion as well as anybody!
is he still alive? For this award we prefer living but did Billy Johnson aka Wade Crane shortly after he died in an auto accident. The rest have been living.

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
He's a good choice despite the fact that he ran out of money and backers from time to time. Of course, running out of money might be an action qualifier. :heh

I always thought snooker -- or anything on a snooker table -- was his best game.

is he still alive? For this award we prefer living but did Billy Johnson aka Wade Crane shortly after he died in an auto accident. The rest have been living.

Doornail !

Jeff sparks

Verified Member
From
Houston, Texas

You are absolutely correct Keith...

Greg Stevens was in action his entire adult life... He played all games well and didn't shy away from any living human at any time... He'd bet whatever he had or whatever he could scrape up... He had a saying, "The game ain't hard, and you ain't barred, just stand on your head and whatever falls out is a bet."

If he isn't at least considered for the lifetime in action award, there shouldn't be one...

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
A friend of mine gave me the number to Clem's son Donnie. Just got off the phone with him and without going into a long explanation, he may or may not be able to be there to accept the award on his father's behalf due to some caretaker responsibilities he has every day. He does want to attend and will do his best to do so. He says he does have a picture or 2 he can give us so I plan on getting us a copy for the website and/or program.

If his son can't attend, there is no other family but maybe an old friend could be there to accept. I will keep you posted when I find out more!

bstroud

Verified Member
I think these are the right choices.

Clem was a great player. While I was in JC the first time Fatty and I spent a lot of time watching him play. He not only banked and moved well but he really knew how to run balls.

This was also the first year for RA. When I first walked in the door of the Backroom RA was playing on the table to the left. He was matched up with Squirrel playing one pocket. Squirrel was going to 5 and RA had the break and the first shot for 200 a game.

On the table to the right Clem was playing the game with Harry Petros behind his back for 100 a game.

I had just bought a new Corvette for 3900. Just to put the money in perspective.

Later that week Lassiter gave Clem the 7 in a race to 11 for 1000. Coates was staking Lassiter. It was 10 to 10 and Clem should have won but when he shot in the 6 ball and was going up table for the 7 he hit the corner of the side pocket. Clem had made the 8 on the break.

They were playing push out so Clem pushed out for a bank for a left hander on the 9 ball. Lassiter then pushed for a bank for a right hander. Clem pushed back for a left handed bank but went about an inch or two too far. Lassiter got up and made an almost 90 degree cut for the win.

It was one of the best shots for all the money I have ever seen.

Those were great times.

Bill S.

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
They were playing push out so Clem pushed out for a bank for a left hander on the 9 ball. Lassiter then pushed for a bank for a right hander. Clem pushed back for a left handed bank but went about an inch or two too far. Lassiter got up and made an almost 90 degree cut for the win.
Bill S.
Bill, do you recall if they played push out in the tournament matches? And if so, did they use those rules every time you were at the Johnston City events? I know we played push out in the late '60s in L.A., so I was curious if they used the same rules at Jansco's.

~Doc

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl

On the table to the right Clem was playing the game with Harry Petros behind his back for 100 a game.

I had just bought a new Corvette for 3900. Just to put the money in perspecti

Those were great times.

Bill S.
was clem left handed ?

Jeff sparks

Verified Member
From
Houston, Texas
Bill, do you recall if they played push out in the tournament matches? And if so, did they use those rules every time you were at the Johnston City events? I know we played push out in the late '60s in L.A., so I was curious if they used the same rules at Jansco's.

~Doc

Two by the same person was in effect when I played JC... So you could roll out on a roll out... But that changed to any two fouls, just not exactly sure what year that was, but around the country, it had to be before 1973, because I remember playing under the new roll out rules, and I quit in April of 1972...

Jeff sparks

Verified Member
From
Houston, Texas
I see now where the lifetime in action award needs to go to a living person...
Sorry Steve, didn't mean to suggest changing the rules...

That being the case, there is a person whom you might consider for the honor... He has been an active one pocket player for as far back as I can remember... I believe he is in his 80's and still plays 5 or 6 days a week for 5 to 7 hours a day! This person loves the game and is always willing to share his knowledge ( and he has a world of it! ) with others... He has played high in his time and will still gamble for $200 to $500 a game, but mostly now he is happy to just be in action everyday... Y'all know him as androd... He still plays the game very well, and who better to honor than one of our very own!!!

bstroud

Verified Member

~Doc

Doc,

Push out was the way everyone played for money in those days.
Three were two versions. You could push after another push and in a later version you had to shoot and make a legal shot or let your opponent shoot and he had to make a legal shot.

It was John Mc Chesney that came up with one foul and ruined 9/10 ball.
It used to be a great game. If you ran 5 or 6 racks on your opponent he had little chance of coming back.

Now he just plays for a hook and gets ball in hand a couple times and gets back in the game. What a shame!

Jansco used P.O. at first but may have changed later on. I quit going when I saw that the suckers were going and that everyone would get to know me.

I traveled for years under the name “Colorado” without anyone knowing my real name.

Bill S.

bstroud

Verified Member
was clem left handed ?

No he was not.

My post should have said:

Clem pushed out for a long rail bank to the upper Left pocket and Lassiter pushed so he could bank to the upper Right hand pocket.

Clem was breaking very well and should have won.

Bill S.

stevelomako

Verified Member
From
Detroit, MI

Clem was a great player. While I was in JC the first time Fatty and I spent a lot of time watching him play. He not only banked and moved well but he really knew how to run balls.

This was also the first year for RA. When I first walked in the door of the Backroom RA was playing on the table to the left. He was matched up with Squirrel playing one pocket. Squirrel was going to 5 and RA had the break and the first shot for 200 a game.

I had just bought a new Corvette for 3900. Just to put the money in perspective.

Later that week Lassiter gave Clem the 7 in a race to 11 for 1000. Coates was staking Lassiter. It was 10 to 10 and Clem should have won but when he shot in the 6 ball and was going up table for the 7 he hit the corner of the side pocket. Clem had made the 8 on the break.

Those were great times.

Bill S.

So Clem pushed the second time and gave up ball in hand?

Then Wimpy didn't take it?

Trying to figure out the scenario here since there were three (3) pushes in a row.
Never came across that before.

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
Jeff: Two by the same person was in effect when I played JC... So you could roll out on a roll out... But that changed to any two fouls, just not exactly sure what year that was, but around the country, it had to be before 1973, because I remember playing under the new roll out rules, and I quit in April of 1972...
Doc,

Push out was the way everyone played for money in those days.
Three were two versions. You could push after another push and in a later version you had to shoot and make a legal shot or let your opponent shoot and he had to make a legal shot.

It was John Mc Chesney that came up with one foul and ruined 9/10 ball.
It used to be a great game. If you ran 5 or 6 racks on your opponent he had little chance of coming back.

Now he just plays for a hook and gets ball in hand a couple times and gets back in the game. What a shame!

Jansco used P.O. at first but may have changed later on. I quit going when I saw that the suckers were going and that everyone would get to know me.

I traveled for years under the name “Colorado” without anyone knowing my real name.

Bill S.
Back then in L.A. we played that you could push out at any time, as long as you couldn't see the full object ball. That prevented successive roll outs, and lucky safeties.

I agree about McChesney's "Texas Express" rules ruining 9/10 ball. It was a true test of ball pocketing and position skill then. Now the whole character of the game has changed.

~Doc

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
No he was not.

My post should have said:

Clem pushed out for a long rail bank to the upper Left pocket and Lassiter pushed so he could bank to the upper Right hand pocket.

Clem was breaking very well and should have won.

Bill S.

thanks for the reply bill

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
From
Klamath Falls, Or.
9- ball was played when matching up by the push out, and the 2 foul rule, ball in hand anywhere. You decided whether it was to be 2 fouls by a player, or 2 fouls by any player.

2 fouls by any player means: If I commit a foul and then my opponent commits a foul then I get BIH anywhere.

Push out: you can push out at any time no matter what, it does not matter whether you are hooked or not. Doc.'s example is a match rule decided between players before the match, or house rule, that you can push out if hooked. Although I have not heard of this alternative rule before, but have thought about it for todays rules.

I like that rule, a push out if hooked, and this could be adoptable for todays 9-ball. But, I would add that if the player hooked himself then he is not allowed to play a push out. But, if he hooks his opponent then they can push out, but the next shot (whether he shoots or the incoming player has excepted the push and shoots) must be a called shot and if it is not made it results in BIH for the incoming player.

Wow I think I have just solved how to make 9-ball back into a shooters game. I have been thinking about this for quite some time, and thought about pushing out when hooked, but just now it came to me to make the next shot after a push be a called shot with BIH if not made! This was the missing link that I did not come up before, for if you do not have this requirement after the push out then the game could last forever because the players would play back safeties.

Thanks Doc for getting me thinking about this again! I owe you! If the game gets adopted we'll call it being played by the "Doc/Whitey rule".

I never seen nor heard of it being legal to push out consecutively by the players. After a push out a player must make a legal shot or it is a foul.

Unless it was a house rule, or they do it differently in Illinois. Whitey

Last edited:

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
I never seen nor heard of it being legal to push out consecutively by the players. After a push out a player must make a legal shot or it is a foul.

Unless it was a house rule, or they do it differently in Illinois. Whitey

It was probably just older than you, it was the precurser to any two fouls.

1st shoot to hit it, if you miss, can be made to shoot a 2nd time or 3rd.

2nd shoot to hit ob, miss twice, ball in hand.

3rd. roll out, any two consectutive fouls by the same player, ball in hand, other shooter fouls negates foul by 1st shooter.

4th Any two fouls.

That's the way I remember it, it was long ago and I'm getting weary. :eek:

jrhendy

Verified Member
From
Placerville, CA

3rd. roll out, any two consectutive fouls by the same player, ball in hand, other shooter fouls negates foul by 1st shooter.

4th Any two fouls.

There have been some changes over the years. When I learned, it was shoot to hit and if you missed, the other player had the option to shoot or make you shoot again. There was never ball in hand. Roll out was the best IMO because you could roll out to your strengths. The current rules and jumping have pretty much ruined the rotation games for me. We get more players in our one pocket tournaments than the nine ball most of the time.

I tried to play a little nine ball yesterday and it was a good reminder why I should not play it. The right mind set is gone.

Jimmy B

Verified Member

4th Any two fouls.

This is true.. I played a tremendous amount of pool where we just called it 'shoot again'.. In other words you were supposed to try to make a good hit, But if you didn't, the incoming player could take it or say shoot again. In lots of bars you didn't want to shoot an obvious safety or hook because you could get hit over the head with the butt of their cue. They would have a name for it but I won't say it because it might be seen as a racial slur type of pool, and then it was all two fouls and the incoming player had to make a hit or give it back. He could NOT roll out again, but any two players could make their own rules. Example-Fountain Inn Red Willis was mentioned.. He wanted to play Burton some but said he didn't like two fouls.. Burton liked two fouls, so they ended up playing 3 Foul Ball IN Hand as a compromise.