Off the wall question

3RAILKICK

Verified Member
re recent Bugs Rucker instructional tape discussion/post here and AZB:

Would/does chalk/powder on the balls help or hinder turning banks? or no effect?

One post spoke of Bugs using lots of both, and leaving the table a mess...and he
was a terrific banker....any correlation?

thanks

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
My guess is that pool chalk on the point of contact between the CB and OB would amplify spin. It seems to me that powder would do the opposite-- make the balls slippery.

You don't see as many instances of powder all over the table like you used to, as when before people started wearing bridge gloves. But some guys are just slobs...:rolleyes:

~Doc

John Brumback

Verified Member
re recent Bugs Rucker instructional tape discussion/post here and AZB:

Would/does chalk/powder on the balls help or hinder turning banks? or no effect?

One post spoke of Bugs using lots of both, and leaving the table a mess...and he
was a terrific banker....any correlation?

thanks

If I had to guess...I would say most top flight bankpool players do not like clean slick balls. I know I don't.

They don't hold or throw as good;).

Hope that helps with your wondering. Good question too!!:) John B.

PS: he (Bugs) held the chalk in his back hand while he was shooting:eek::lol

3RAILKICK

Verified Member
Maximum back cut bank

Maximum back cut bank

Assuming enough room to bridge out of the corner area.. about how far up the opposite rail can an object ball be located, that's close to the rail, be back cut banked , into the corner beneath you?

Last edited:

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
Assuming enough room to bridge out of the corner or side pocket.. about how far up/down the rail would/do you back bank a ball that's close to the rail?

...about 2 diamonds?

....more? less?

...depend on ob distance from the rail?

...how about if ob frozen to rail...still doable?

...just not worth the risk, turning cb loose?

...maybe possible, but not practical?

...duh..I meant this to be a separate thread topic.

I'm afraid your questions aren't very clear, hence no response.

straightback

Verified Member
From
owensboro, ky
If Bugs indeed intentionally littered the table with powder or otherwise felt he gained an advantage, I would think he had in mind its effect on the *cloth* as much as its effect on ball collision.

John Brumback

Verified Member
If Bugs indeed intentionally littered the table with powder or otherwise felt he gained an advantage, I would think he had in mind its effect on the *cloth* as much as its effect on ball collision.

Yup,and old school trick:lol JB

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
Assuming enough room to bridge out of the corner area.. about how far up the opposite rail can an object ball be located, that's close to the rail, be back cut banked , into the corner beneath you?
Starting with the CB at the corner pocket, I can bank an OB from the opposite 2nd Diamond back to the corner I'm near, using inside english. But I can only do it about 20% of the time, max. So for me it's not useful in a real game situation. At about 1-1/2 diamonds, I have a better pocketing percentage. That's about the max I'd use in a real game.

It's possible to get an even wider angle (further up the rail), but it's probably not likely to get enough speed on it to get it back to the hole.

~Doc

3RAILKICK

Verified Member
Starting with the CB at the corner pocket, I can bank an OB from the opposite 2nd Diamond back to the corner I'm near, using inside english. But I can only do it about 20% of the time, max. So for me it's not useful in a real game situation. At about 1-1/2 diamonds, I have a better pocketing percentage. That's about the max I'd use in a real game.

It's possible to get an even wider angle (further up the rail), but it's probably not likely to get enough speed on it to get it back to the hole.

~Doc

Thanks Doc.

Sorry for being so unclear with the question.

I tried this on the table last night. 2 out of 10 opposite 2nd diamond, draw and outside english. The other 8 tries...various failures.

Seems doable but unreliable.

Successful tries swung cb around 3 rails for ball on bottom rail to my pocket..but too easy for me to flub this up.

I'll have to try it with inside english.

Thanks, for the player feedback.

and to androd for the constructive criticism

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
If this is the shot I'm thinking of (2diamonds on the opposite long rail)
For me, a little thinner than a half ball hit, 2 half farrel's English, elevate the rear of the stick a bit. Try not to scratch 3 rails. LOL :D

unoperro

Verified Member
If you play the dbl kiss, you can bank it almost as far up as the side pocket. Hit firmly cueball goes 2/3/4 rails back to end rail.