Ode to Tony Chohan

Nick B

Verified Member
From
Vancouver, Canada
Just back from Vegas. That was a late night. The last 8 racks was some of the best pool I have ever seen. The two guys let it all hang out. Now on to something I observed. EVERYONE LOVES TONY CHOHAN. Even those who bet against him love and admire the man. Here he is balls deep, playing for high dough against a world class ball striker and down for much of the match. He's outside having a smoke and trying to take a breather and everyone and his momma is bothering him for a selfie and to BS with him. What does he do? Shake hands, with a smile and take the selfie. What a treasure. I watched this time and time again. His nickname should be the "Big Easy". Whenever someone on here states that he plays too louse or misses too many balls they should remember that he's able to do the things that he does because he's able to put away the pressures of the moment and go all out for what he needs to do. Can it look silly sometimes? Yeah maybe but then you get to see the trues masterpieces that ONLY he can do. Is he the best ball potter. Nope but he's still almost world class. Is his cues ball position the best? Nope but right up there with the elites with exception to maybe 5 people in the world. Multi rail kicks. Might be best. Multi rail banks....ditto. Touch = No better. This is his super power. Strategy and Gamesmanship. Godlike. He had SVB in fits. I have never seen SVB slam balls like that. Not because Tony did anything wrong but because it was almost like Rocky vs Apollo Creed. "Why is this guy still standing and why might I just lose to this".

Hats off to Tony. A dudes dude. Just one of many great shots. Note his cue ball and how the object ball is the perfect speed for deep shelfed Diamonds. He slides past the other balls and now can continue his run. Standard shot. Yup. How often do you make it? One in Five? The man's percentages on multi-rail shots are god-tier.

https://youtube.com/shorts/yUqLkAors88?feature=share

Last edited:

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
I'm still watching the replays -- just a few games left to finish :) I would agree 100% Nick. Tony plays so many pure One Pocket shots and hits them so consistently, he makes them look easy, but they are not!! Except from here, behind a keyboard, then I have almost Tony's touch lol.

Honestly I think it was basic simple stamina that did him in. SVB is a great player for sure, but Tony had a slight edge consistently because of hist superior One Pocket knowledge, except he could not fade the late games whereas SVB did not fade -- although he did get frustrated a few times! Despite obviously SVB's superior shot making and ball running skills, Tony played superior One Pocket most of the match. That is what I saw. I do also realize Tony started slow on the first day -- which makes my basic point that much clearer. I would strongly suggest to Tony that he shorten his challenge race hours each day in any challenge matches he agrees to, or get in better physical shape himself to avoid that fade.

You guys that did not watch this, you missed a thousand great One Pocket shots and opportunities to see Tony's imagination at work. Not to take anything away from SVB's amazing shooting. You can see why Shane is one of the very top pool players in the world!!

I never saw Ronnie Allen in his prime, but Tony is the real deal in terms of One Pocket creativity.

catkins

Verified Member
From
boulder creek ca
shanes banking and shooting day one was world class plus. Tony was still adjusting to the table by day two Ifeel that was coming more into balbance interms of shane not making every long railer he shot at and tony not missing straight ins . by day three they both where playing amazing at times and mising balls at times. at 21 20 I think is when momentum switched on missed oppertunities from tony.

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
shanes banking and shooting day one was world class plus. Tony was still adjusting to the table by day two Ifeel that was coming more into balbance interms of shane not making every long railer he shot at and tony not missing straight ins . by day three they both where playing amazing at times and mising balls at times. at 21 20 I think is when momentum switched on missed oppertunities from tony.
Shane also won the final three games of day 2 in the wee hours, after Tony had pulled ahead in the match with a super performance the entire 2nd day. But Shane closed the night with three straight 8 and outs to take back a one game lead going into the final day of play.

jtompilot

Verified Member
From
New Orleans
I think Tony proved a Superior 1P player can beat a Superior shooter in 1P, but it won't happen every time. SVB crushed Chip but, Chip is not a superior 1P player. I'd guess that playing even Tony beats Chip 8 out of 10 times, SVB beats Chip 8 out of 10 times. SVB vs Tony, pretty evenly matched except currently I'd the edge to SVB. Although I thought I was stealing betting on Shane, I could have just as easily lost. I'm just rambling :)

unoperro

Verified Member
I think Tony proved a Superior 1P player can beat a Superior shooter in 1P, but it won't happen every time. SVB crushed Chip but, Chip is not a superior 1P player. I'd guess that playing even Tony beats Chip 8 out of 10 times, SVB beats Chip 8 out of 10 times. SVB vs Tony, pretty evenly matched except currently I'd the edge to SVB. Although I thought I was stealing betting on Shane, I could have just as easily lost. I'm just rambling :)
You just aren't used to stealing 😉

unoperro

Verified Member
Here is a little more Tony. Note cue ball. Not only does he make the ball but he stacks SVB up leaving him tree topped if the ball doesn't go and zero offensive opportunity. I'll say it again. God-Tier.

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/Mkb5GUjnA6E
Here is something to ponder...
If that was a wwyd posted here and someone posted it exactly like Tony played it how many would find fault with "playing to get 1 ball" ? "If you think you can make or hang that bank why not break those balls or play to bank the 4 next"?

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
If that was a wwyd posted here and someone posted it exactly like Tony played it how many would find fault with "playing to get 1 ball" ? "If you think you can make or hang that bank why not break those balls or play to bank the 4 next"?
There were a lot of one ball at a time scores -- especially when the balls are up table like that. One at a time is pretty common once it turns into a defensive battle.

Nick B

Verified Member
From
Vancouver, Canada
Not sure it plays well. Hitting the double that hard to break open the stack would really effect the bank shot and the release of the second bank. He would need to hit it much harder and deeper and then the second rail would not release as well. I'm in love with the way he hit it.

jrhendy

Verified Member
From
Placerville, CA
I still believe Tony is the better one pocket player overall. His end game with the lead in ball count was weak too many times. We are used to watching Tony steal games, not give too many away when he is ahead. Shane played like we knew Shane would, steady and smart.

unoperro

Verified Member
Not sure it plays well. Hitting the double that hard to break open the stack would really effect the bank shot and the release of the second bank. He would need to hit it much harder and deeper and then the second rail would not release as well. I'm in love with the way he hit it.
That was my real point 😉 Tony played that shot to make or hang that ball- he wasn't thinking about tree topping SVB. 🙂

And having made that ball the way I see it he was still in a pickle albeit with 1 more ball.