North Shore Billiards. Artie interview

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
Escape from the hijacker

Escape from the hijacker

Mr 40 barrels is still trying to detour this thread and sabotage any development. I better jump in here with another story. A follow up on Louie Roberts. I think Helfert told this story first.

"Louie was a witty character. One of my favorite Louie stories though, happened at "Reds" In Houston. Louie comes strolling in with two guys who look like West Texas cattle buyers or oil guys. They are sober and very serious looking.
Louie makes his grand entrance speaking to everyone, and being Louie when someone asks, Louie, we heard you just got out of rehab?" Without missing a beat, Louie responds, " That's right, 21 days! They hit me with so much voltage that the next woman to be with me is gonna light up like a slot machine and pay off in Silver Dollars!"
The room cracked up. Then Louie began to hit balls around when a younger fella walked by and inquired, "Louie, that looks like a new cue, what did that cost?"

Louie looks toward the two backers and rather timidly says, "oh about $6500 so far!"

The whole joint broke up but the two cattle buyers did not look amused at all."

Beard

Last edited:

SJDinPHX

Suspended
mr3cushion said:

FYI Dickhead; I've known of Mr X for quite some time, I didn't want to deprive Freddy the pleasure of taunting you on a daily basis, He probably has enough material for another month. I can tell you this, you couldn't guess in a 1,000,000 attempts!
You have many friendemies!

Bill Smith "Mr3Cushion"
http://mr3cushion.com

FYI Mr. 'Extinct Game',

An educated guess, would be RA...If you think he's a credible witness to anything pool related, I have some ocean front property for you, here in Phx. ...We have been
waging a running gun battle, for 52 years or so...Also, it would be easy to visualize him having a "bragfest" with your hero..(Wow! Try and pick a winner there ???)..:D

Reason for my thinking that it might be him, is because he's the only one who has beaten me a lot of games in a row. However, if it was him, you can wager pretty high,
it was about 30 barrells short of 40...I am also sure you've spent a lot of time drinking with him, and are aware, RA never exagerates on the $$$ amount he wins or loses...:rolleyes:
I still like him, we talk every week or so...even though his account with me resembles the national debt..:p

No, I'm afraid your hero, (Mr. 30 Barrells)...is still the all time multi-barrell go-off leader.

Mr. Head Dick <----you had it backwards, as usual..:D

PS..Forgive me if this is a sensitive subject...but please put me on your mailing list...I sure don't want to miss your next 'sale'...;)

Last edited:

SJDinPHX

Suspended
mr3cushion said:
Like I said, 1,000,000 attempts and NO cigar, I'm sure!

Bill Smith "Mr3Cushion"

P.S. BTW, I'll do a little braging. Over a 1000 sales in 14 months, and still climbing, not bad for "niche", huh!

I certainly hope you have another source of income...Those figures are very close to "poverty level"...Did you know, you may qualify for food stamps...:D

PS..Time for another story please Fred... Your jock strap dangler, poses no real challenge=BORING !!!...:rolleyes:

mr3cushion

Verified Member
From
Cocoa Beach, FL
DUCKY; Unlike my good friend Freddy, I try to still do a little traveling. I'm going to visit a relative in Chandler,AZ soon, maybe you might like to discuss my "poverty level" lifestyle in person. I'll definitely be lookng you up to see if your "keyboard" conversation is as lively in person!

See you soon DUCKY!

Bill Smith "Mr3Cushion"

SJDinPHX

Suspended
mr3cushion said:
DUCKY; Unlike my good friend Freddy, I try to still do a little traveling. I'm going to visit a relative in Chandler,AZ soon, maybe you might like to discuss my "poverty level" lifestyle in person. I'll definitely be lookng you up to see if your "keyboard" conversation is as lively in person!

See you soon DUCKY!

Bill Smith "Mr3Cushion"

Puleeeeeze bring money...You will get played with. The old drunken Irishman will give you some action..You can bet what you want..Hopefully more than your DVD profits..:cool:

PS..We will not be playing the 'extinct game'...(none of the action rooms even have a billiard table)....You will have to play a man's game...:D

Last edited:

SJDinPHX

Suspended
mr3cushion said:
What I got in mind for your ass you could never win at in your prime, not alone now, no matter what amount! Ducky

Bill Smith "Mr3Cushion"

Looking forward to it...I will PM you my phone number...And I wil send a limo for you...:p

PS..On second thought, you appear to be the the type, prone to making crank calls...Just call Kolby's, 480 829 7344. They will get a hold of me ASAP...You may want to use the code name..Mr. Extinct Game, so I'll know its you...:eek:

Last edited:

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
mr3cushion said:
What I got in mind for your ass you could never win at in your prime, not alone now, no matter what amount! Ducky

Bill Smith "Mr3Cushion"
Wow, a 13 minute turnaround time, I guess someone is alerting someone else about someone posting:eek: .

Careful Ducky, he's after more than your cash.

D with A D.jpg

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
First, back to main point

First, back to main point

Another North Shore story, and one final about St. Louie Louie. Louie played every day at North Shore and had one antic after another. While living with hypochondriac Chicago cue maker, Joe Gold, Louie once emptied Gold's well stocked medicine cabinet. The cue maker routinely had shelves of assorted medicines that could bring you up, take you down, make you totally rhummy, or eliminate all pain.
Louie (no pharmacist he), would just take potluck and play Pill-Russian–Roulette. He'd say, "I'll try two of those white ones with three of those pinkies, and then seal the deal with one of those red babies. I'll save these brown stripers for later." Louie would chase them all down with a few six–packs of beer, then play for days and never miss a ball.
I put Louie, at or near the top, of pool players that could consume inordinate amounts of various chemical combinations and still play a monster speed of pool.
Bugs probably played just as good in that area.
Ronnie A was the champ in a slightly different area. He could drink multiple combinations of alcohol at the same time and keep a top speed. At the All-Around finals at Johnston City, Ronnie had, and consumed in no particular order, beer, scotch and champagne cocktails.

Beard

crystal cue

Verified Member
wgcp said:
Even though I have not posted in a while... I would appreciate some of the "war" stories from north shore...

Hello Freddy,I would also like to hear some war stories,how about some good or funny stories,did Artie ever get drunk and do something that warrants a lifetime of teasing?inquiring minds would like to know.

All of the old poolrooms are part of history and worthy of discussion.Even Cochran's over in Frisco...speaking of that...a couple I know just went there and I heard how (a few) of the gents ''operate" there...dont be so harsh on SJD,maybe some of his long time san fran homeboys forgot to invite him on their annual ''hiking" trip,we dont know whats going on in his personal life and should take that into consideration.;)

'

SJDinPHX

Suspended
??????

??????

crystal cue said:
Hello Freddy,I would also like to hear some war stories,how about some good or funny stories,did Artie ever get drunk and do something that warrants a lifetime of teasing?inquiring minds would like to know.

All of the old poolrooms are part of history and worthy of discussion.Even Cochran's over in Frisco...speaking of that...a couple I know just went there and I heard how (a few) of the gents ''operate" there...dont be so harsh on SJD,maybe some of his long time san fran homeboys forgot to invite him on their annual ''hiking" trip,we dont know whats going on in his personal life and should take that into consideration.;)

Crystal Cue,

Not sure what you mean about "hiking trips" ?...Also, I'm quite sure, most of my "home boys," are probably not still above ground... Cochran's is but a distant memory. I think its been about 35-40 yrs., since I walked up those stairs. Its probably an Arthur Murray Dance Studio now...:(

Thanks for your last sentence. Things could be better, but I'm still here...(I think)...:p

CaliRed

Verified Member
From
Heart of the Midwest
SJDinPHX said:
Crystal Cue,

Not sure what you mean about "hiking trips" ?...Also, I'm quite sure, most of my "home boys," are probably not still above ground... Cochran's is but a distant memory. I think its been about 35-40 yrs., since I walked up those stairs. Its probably an Arthur Murray Dance Studio now...

Thanks for your last sentence. Things could be better, but I'm still here...(I think)...:p
San Fran homeboys and hiking trips... hmmm... Dick? Do you have anything you would like to share with us?:eek::confused::):eek:

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
Therapy?

Therapy?

crystal cue said:

'

Crystal, so are you saying that letting him be a total a-hole to me would be somehow theraputic? He must be a slow healer because this is year four of his climbing up my ass.

Back to the original request. This is from a story I printed in my 1st book Banking With the Beard.

"Artie was not without fault, he was a hideous drunk. He used to get drunk and spit on barmaids.

I personally witnessed the following scene — Artie was so obnoxiously drunk that two cops in a Paddy Wagon refused to arrest him because they had already experienced that nauseating pleasure several times before. Artie dared them to arrest him. He was cursing them out, and hanging and slobbering all over them as the cops attempted to make their getaway.

Finally the one cop climbed in the wagon, put his foot on Artie's chest, and shoved him out into the street. Then he promptly slammed the door, and the Paddy Wagon sped off into the night, leaving Artie behind, drooling, cursing, and sputtering.

Artie is the only pool player I know to have an airline make a special stop, on a nonstop flight, to heave him off the plane because he was so drunk and disorderly.

Thankfully for all, Arthur has put his drunken days behind him."

Beard

crystal cue

Verified Member
Thanks for the story Freddy,how about Mr 3Cushion and Phil,where youse guys at...do you have something you would like to share about NSBC?

Artie Bodendorfer

Verified Member
crystal cue said:
Thanks for the story Freddy,how about Mr 3Cushion and Phil,where youse guys at...do you have something you would like to share about NSBC?

I have meny stores about north shore since I had all the action locket up. I remember when Bugs was playing Louie Roberts None to seven I think he was giving him.

And Louie was ahead about 12 thousand dollaers. And Bugs had one barrale left. And Bugs won the 12 thousand back and brock Louie Robets.

And after louie went brocke he asket me why didnt I pull him up. I said I couldnt have pulled you up with a machine gun.

You were haveing too much fun. And then Louie sais he was going to jump out the window and I said I cant stop you. Nobody can.

And then the next day I backet Louie Roberts and I told him If I can Couch him. Grady the roffer will play you 8 to 6 and 9 to 6 on his breack.

I new louie could win because howe great he shot. And I was backing louie 5 hundred dollers a game. And a shot came up and Louie said he was going too shoot the shot.

I said no youre not if you do I am done with the game and backing you. Louie told me he would bet his life on the shot. That he would make the shot.

I said no if you do Im done. Nothing else to tal;k about. And Louie didnt shoot the shot. But keepte moaning I would bet my life I could make that shot.

And after Louie won and he won about 4 or 5 thousand dollers. Louie told me after the game that he would bet his life on that shot. THat he would make it.

Her was a classest remark I could think off. BET YOURE LIFE ON THAT SHOT WHEN IM NOT IN WITH YOU. And Louie never forgot that shot.

And told everyone that I wouldnt let him shot a shot he would bet his life on.

And the next day he asket me What do I think if he gives Bugs the 7 and 9 playing nine ball.

I said I think you will win. And I will take 25% off youre action. He said ok. And he started plating Bugs mineball. And louie won easy.

I new Bugs couldnt beat him. And people think the 7 ball is a big spot. Well its worth less the 115 with a good shooter. But people think thier getting something getting the 6 ot 7 ball. If the player runs out it doesnt make a little bit off difference.

Take 2 games on the wire going too 7 games and play even. Now he has some chance off winning.

Because what people dont no or realize. If you dont win the game because off you getting the spot. Youre not getting any spot at all. IF it does not come into play.

It only means something in a game were you can make rhe senen and cant get out ot the 8 and 9. But if a good player gets too the 7 ball he will make the 8 and 9 too.

So what you are getting spoted is nothing,. Because you can play a race to 7 and the spot never even showes up once. And you have to win even too beat the player. Who is giving you the 7 ball.

And people think its a big spot. Its nothing at all with two good players. Now with two players who cant play. And you get 3 or 4 shots a game.

Nowe its a big spot. Because it will showe up. But with two great platers the 6 7 or 8 is no spot at all. Because it does not come into play.

And people for years have thought that the 7 or 8 eas a good spot.

You atre better off playing even every game. And takeing 115 on every bame then a 7 ball that doesnt mean anything anyway.

And a hreat player like ERal Shane Eferemn Alex and any off the top 10 greatest 9 ball players. Can give each other the 7 or 8 and wont even showe up.

Because they run out. And the 7 or 8 wont make a difference. A player like Shane. Cold take all the breacks. And give Efern the 7 ball and shane would be stealing.

But people dont realize howe little that spot realy is. And everyone allways made a big deal out off iy . Like the wete getting a big spot.

The spot is like nothing for a great player. BUt louie beat Bugs in nineball. And Bugs beat louie in one pocket. Just like its supose too happen.

And Louie roberts was on the road with Larry Hubbart. And I backet Ronberg too play Larry Hubbart. And Ronberg beat him.

And I will tell you some Varner stories latter on. When he beat Garr playing bumper pool.

And Billy Incardone played Grady the Roffer. But thats next time. And before im done you will have a Idea about what went on in north shore.

In pool cards ponk pong bumper pool. THree coushion and scrable. And even made games playing basket ball. And sports betting too. Any game you wanted too play.

Somebody would play you. IT was open day and noght. And that was a big plus. Because all the pool rooms closed at 1 P.M . And everyone would come too North Shore.

If they would have had good parking. THe buisness would have doubled. And out side off DEtroite thier was never a better action spot.

And for pool rooms Bensingers had all the action somebody could want. It wasant easy. But it was action.

And in case nobody ever mentioned it. Bensinger was like a block away and through the alley.

And Freddy and I lived wright in the middle off both places. Bensingers and North shore.

But both places were like 1 block away from each other.

crystal cue

Verified Member
Good stuff Artie,I am curious to hear about Varner playing bumper pool against Garr,is he the guy that was in a wheelchair and had a blind guy push him around or was that someone else?

Is there any single proposition bet that sticks out in your mind,either highest stakes or most creative?
CC

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
Milborn "Gar" Frazier

Milborn "Gar" Frazier

crystal cue said:
Good stuff Artie,I am curious to hear about Varner playing bumper pool against Garr,is he the guy that was in a wheelchair and had a blind guy push him around or was that someone else?

Is there any single proposition bet that sticks out in your mind,either highest stakes or most creative?
CC

Same guy. His wheelchair antics came years later after he lost his legs to diabetes.

Beard