North Shore Billiards. Artie interview

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
fred bentivegna said:
Bump for Artie story.

Beard

North Shore was a hell of a place with plenty of action, there are 3 million stories to be told about North Shore Billiards and you have only heard a few.:eek: :D

Dr. Billy I.

Artie Bodendorfer

Verified Member
wincardona said:
North Shore was a hell of a place with plenty of action, there are 3 million stories to be told about North Shore Billiards and you have only heard a few.:eek: :D

Dr. Billy I.

I said I was going too tell the story about Garr and Nick Varnner playing bummper pool.

I was inn with Nock and he played Garr for about 16 houers. And he beat Garr real good.

I didnt no Nick plaued great bumper pool. But he played great. He realy new the game. And he shot the bummper shots real good.

And Garr couldnt belive howe good Nick played. But he played great and he beat Garr.

And after Nick left I decided too play Garr Bumper pool. I didnt no howe too play.

But I started playing him and he had me stuck 4 thousand dollers. I keepte playing because I new I would improve and Garr made a lot off mistakes.

And he played the bummper shots way better then me. But after a while I could see I could our manover him.

We played for two and a half days and I bet him for around 25 thousand dollaers.

And Garr said I jard him. I said you jard yourself you took a whole bottle off bennies and you were as goffy as a bed bug.

But he loved playing every minute. And Garr had no quiter in him. Gar was and still is a cassick as far as a old time hustler. And thier are all kinds off horse storys about Garr.

I will let Freddy tell about some off rhem. And I will be back. Tonight. Have a happy pool players day. And dont play if you cant win.

And thier are millions off great storys about North Shore.

But I will give some storys one at a time. And I will tell some storys about some off the people I beat and played at North Shore.

crystal cue

Verified Member
wincardona said:

Dr. Billy I.

Hey fellas,Ive got a question for Dr. Billy,Artie,Beard and Ghost...
When you think back about the North Shore days,whats the first thing that you recall? Thanks for your time CC.

Artie Bodendorfer

Verified Member
crystal cue said:
Hey fellas,Ive got a question for Dr. Billy,Artie,Beard and Ghost...
When you think back about the North Shore days,whats the first thing that you recall? Thanks for your time CC.

I remember when I backet Freddys counter man Janes Justice. And he was one off Garr people.

I babet Pete against James. And bet never beat nobody for any money. But that night he beat James for 20 thoysand dollaers.

And James sent for mre money. He was all out off it. And he had a gun out pointing it at the sweathers.

He told them this game is not over tell he says its over. And finaly he ran out off money.

And took off his wig and pulled out his gun and said I will play you a game for this. Howe much can I get for my wig and gun.

And I said thats personal I dont play for anything but money. And I said her James is 2 thousand dollaers. You can get another bank roll with that.

And its all youres I dont want it back. He said thanks youre ok. And I said I hope you do the same thing for me.

And James could stand flatfooted with both feet on the floor and jump up on top off the bar. Forwards and back words. And if you think its easy.

Go ahead and try it. I never seen anyone else do it. But James was quite a caracter. And that wig he had was unblivebale.

And James couldnt run two balls. He was helpless. And Pete was all happy and excited. I new he was going too the track with it.

But thats just another story. And when we played double deck pinochale with Garr. GArr would never quite.

WE would have to wake garr up to discard And he wouldnt even no what was trump. And we were playeing for good money.

But thier is only one Garr FRazer in life and North Shore Had Him. And he was with Freddy at the 4 Bees.

Garrs whole click and Freddys click followed them from 4 Bees to north shore.

And Every day 10 or 15 people would go too the day track. And then come back. And go too the night track. And then they would play Pinochale. All night long.

North Shore never closed. And I dont no off anyone outside of Freddy Phil and Bobby. THat ever had a all night club.

Latter on Billy and his two partners opened up a all night club after Freddy North West. But North Shore was number one. Just like Bensingers was.

And Freddy is one off the greatest sleepers in life. He can sleep anywere.

Even in a Car. He was on the road and he was coming home. And I herd he pulled the car over 2 miles from his house and went too sleep in the car.

And in Bensingers he would sleep anywere. And he sleeps so good. That he even slepte through some stick ups. Thats unbliveable. But thats what happened.

But Freddy had to always eat first and then sleep. And he loves good food.

I was eating thanks giving dinner next door ar Freddys. And Al Fuss showed up looking for me. So Freddy asket him if he wanted some turky.

And Al Fuss at everything encluding the bones. And all the desert. And when he ate everything. He was looking too eat some more.

I told Freddy Al Fuss has a good apitite. And Freddy said he never seen anything like it. And I said should I invite him next year for Thanks Giving Dinner.

And Freddy looket at me and shook his head. THat guy will eat you out off house and home. It was very nice off Freddy to ask Al Fuss if he wanted some Dinner.

But he never invited him again. But thier are lots off Al Fuss Storys. He let Joe Procita say with him. In his moms house. Because Joe was such a great yhree coushion. Billiard Player.

Jimmy B

Verified Member
Artie. Those are some real funny amusing tales there. I can't get over the guy you were playing bumper pool with and how he accused you of jarring him when he was taking bennies himself. How many people jar themselves. I jarred myself one time. A biker girl gave me two tablets with AS on them. About all I had dealt with at the time were diet pills (strong ones). I took the two tabs and put in dranking but a stranger came in and I knew I was going to try to play him no matter what. We hadn't got started good and I was in a halfway blackout mode or something. I was saying to myself I'm not about to quit-this guy can't play dead and I'm feeling so good. To make a long story short, I had taken sopor which is the exact same thing as quaalude. The AS on the tabs were a giveaway. I went to my buddy who was a pill expert and we consulted his Bible -The PDR. The AS stood for Arner Stone, the company that made them and then we tracked it down from there. Strong medicine indeed. The government had to step in and do away with all methaqualone. I saw that girl later on that week. I said can I get sommore pleaseeeeeeeeee pretty pleaseeee?????????????

Artie Bodendorfer

Verified Member
CaliRed said:
Artie.. did you see the video I put up of you commentating? at the US Open?

you had mentioned a while back that you really wanted to hear that and if I had it... well, it's been posted. I think you did some other match too.. that will probably get uploaded before too long too.

http://www.onepocket.org/forum/showthread.php?t=5472

Yes I did one with the Doctor. THats why he is going for Surgiery in Germany.

I have a hard time on the Internet. I feel like I am lost in the woods. I havant seen it yet. I dont no howe too get it were I can listen too it.

Even though I havant herd it yet. THank You for putting it on her. Its hard too get a blind man too see.

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
Artie Bodendorfer said:
Yes I did one with the Doctor. THats why he is going for Surgiery in Germany.

I have a hard time on the Internet. I feel like I am lost in the woods. I havant seen it yet. I dont no howe too get it were I can listen too it.

Even though I havant herd it yet. THank You for putting it on her. Its hard too get a blind man too see.
The volume is low for me to hear the commentary, Artie -- I had to turn up to the max, but when I did, I could hear it fine. Not good to forget that I did that when I moved on to a different website, though, lol.

CaliRed

Verified Member
From
Heart of the Midwest
NH Steve said:
The volume is low for me to hear the commentary, Artie -- I had to turn up to the max, but when I did, I could hear it fine. Not good to forget that I did that when I moved on to a different website, though, lol.

yeah.. i noticed that too.. it was pretty low.. I wasn't going to spend all the extra time to boost it... I figured everyone will just have to use the volume button...

AND

remember to turn it down when you're done:D

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
CaliRed said:
yeah.. i noticed that too.. it was pretty low.. I wasn't going to spend all the extra time to boost it... I figured everyone will just have to use the volume button...

AND

remember to turn it down when you're done:D
Don't worry, they'll only forget once :D

Artie Bodendorfer

Verified Member
vapros said:
Got some headphones? Good ones will solve the problem.

I just finisht listning too the finale two games. iT was a great match. And like I told Larry the first person who makes a mistake in the finale game will loose the match.

And that is exacly what happened. One mistake is all it takes too loose the whole match.

And good players are easy for me to predicte what they are going too shoot and do.

And Alex had 4 or 5 chances too lock Scott up behind the 4 ball. And on the last shot that Scott had.

It showed howe strong the shot is. And the key too youre oponent doing that too you goes back to the begining off the game.

And once Alex had that shot he never let Scott get away from being behind the 4 ball. And if Alex would have goten behind the ball deeper in one off his other shots.

Scott could not win the game no more. Locking up youre oponent is the same as running 8 and out. With good shooters.

BUt what people should have learned from the last game. Never give youre oponent a shot to put you in that position.

And keep you thier. One mistake was crushele. And if you listen too the whole match. You will see I try to give every shot that the players shoot.

And If a comontator cant do that then he doesnt need to comontate. Thier are enough comedlans on TV. And Loks and wise cracks dont get it.

Anounce the game the way it is being played. It was a enjoyable time for me. And Larry is very good and easy to cmontate with.

WE were both relaxet and we both enjoyed it. And The little man with the big stick. Showed howe you run out.

Taking bad risks does not get it playing one pocket. Controling the game is what its about.

And you dont need all that agressive and power shots. And takeing bad risks. Witch they didnt do much off any way.

THey both just played the game. Andall it takes is one shot and its 8 and out. Without ant trick shots or give up shots.

And what people dont no usialy all those power shots and trick shots come up when thier in a tough spot or in a trap.

Thier is no other reason too shoot them. You didnt see any off that in this game. And when two great players play each other.

THey play a more safeer style. When sombody cant play you can do a lot off different stuff and get away with it.

And Even in Eferens game with Chriss Eferen whole style changed. And it was safe one pocket. Not a magic show that people talk about.

And Eferen is great too watch because off his great control and pocketing his shots. He has a lot off ability over most off the players.

And thats what wins it for him. His ability and execution. Not his moveing. Thier are ver few movers playing the game today.

Its all about shooting at everything. And not playing the game the way it is supose too be played. But even back in my times it was 90% shooters. Eight and out was the name off the game.

But is you get a great shooter that also is a great mover. He will beat the field . And nobody could stand up too that. But I have not seen that person yet.

Most off theese matches with the great players. Is all a crap shoot. And one or two rolles and a few mistakes. Will win the match.

And A person that knowes howe to realy play. Nodody will beat him. Because the will make too meny mistakes for them too win.

And I comontated a game with Billy. IT was Cory Duel and Gab Owens. Corry won I think 4 games in a row. It was a one sided game.

And Gab had very few chances too win or shoot. And Corry kepte him lockt up the whole time. As I remember Gab had only one good shot too win a game.

But he mist a pretty easy shot. And that was the end off the match.

THanks again CalieRed . I try to tell the people what is going on . On every shot and what the player did weong. Like hitting the ball to full or too thin.

Or the cueball got away from him. THat is what I do when I commontate. And bring to the people everything that happines. In the simplest way.

And I stay foucoust on the whole game ans shot. And I dont get way from what a comontator does.

And the reason I feel this way. Is because when you bet big money on games. You dont want too miss anything. Im any sport.

Put thanks a lot it was enjoyable. And knoweing the game made everything easier. Because you can see ahead off time what they are going to shoot.

What do you think I should have done to make it even better. But over all I realy liket it excepte for my raspy voice. It even gets too me. When I her it.

WE dont her our owne voice too offten. BUt all we can do is play with what we have.

Artie Bodendorfer

Verified Member
Artie Bodendorfer said:
I just finisht listning too the finale two games. iT was a great match. And like I told Larry the first person who makes a mistake in the finale game will loose the match.

And that is exacly what happened. One mistake is all it takes too loose the whole match.

And good players are easy for me to predicte what they are going too shoot and do.

And Alex had 4 or 5 chances too lock Scott up behind the 4 ball. And on the last shot that Scott had.

It showed howe strong the shot is. And the key too youre oponent doing that too you goes back to the begining off the game.

And once Alex had that shot he never let Scott get away from being behind the 4 ball. And if Alex would have goten behind the ball deeper in one off his other shots.

Scott could not win the game no more. Locking up youre oponent is the same as running 8 and out. With good shooters.

BUt what people should have learned from the last game. Never give youre oponent a shot to put you in that position.

And keep you thier. One mistake was crushele. And if you listen too the whole match. You will see I try to give every shot that the players shoot.

And If a comontator cant do that then he doesnt need to comontate. Thier are enough comedlans on TV. And Loks and wise cracks dont get it.

Anounce the game the way it is being played. It was a enjoyable time for me. And Larry is very good and easy to cmontate with.

WE were both relaxet and we both enjoyed it. And The little man with the big stick. Showed howe you run out.

Taking bad risks does not get it playing one pocket. Controling the game is what its about.

And you dont need all that agressive and power shots. And takeing bad risks. Witch they didnt do much off any way.

THey both just played the game. Andall it takes is one shot and its 8 and out. Without ant trick shots or give up shots.

And what people dont no usialy all those power shots and trick shots come up when thier in a tough spot or in a trap.

Thier is no other reason too shoot them. You didnt see any off that in this game. And when two great players play each other.

THey play a more safeer style. When sombody cant play you can do a lot off different stuff and get away with it.

And Even in Eferens game with Chriss Eferen whole style changed. And it was safe one pocket. Not a magic show that people talk about.

And Eferen is great too watch because off his great control and pocketing his shots. He has a lot off ability over most off the players.

And thats what wins it for him. His ability and execution. Not his moveing. Thier are ver few movers playing the game today.

Its all about shooting at everything. And not playing the game the way it is supose too be played. But even back in my times it was 90% shooters. Eight and out was the name off the game.

But is you get a great shooter that also is a great mover. He will beat the field . And nobody could stand up too that. But I have not seen that person yet.

Most off theese matches with the great players. Is all a crap shoot. And one or two rolles and a few mistakes. Will win the match.

And A person that knowes howe to realy play. Nodody will beat him. Because the will make too meny mistakes for them too win.

And I comontated a game with Billy. IT was Cory Duel and Gab Owens. Corry won I think 4 games in a row. It was a one sided game.

And Gab had very few chances too win or shoot. And Corry kepte him lockt up the whole time. As I remember Gab had only one good shot too win a game.

But he mist a pretty easy shot. And that was the end off the match.

THanks again CalieRed . I try to tell the people what is going on . On every shot and what the player did weong. Like hitting the ball to full or too thin.

Or the cueball got away from him. THat is what I do when I commontate. And bring to the people everything that happines. In the simplest way.

And I stay foucoust on the whole game ans shot. And I dont get way from what a comontator does.

And the reason I feel this way. Is because when you bet big money on games. You dont want too miss anything. Im any sport.

Put thanks a lot it was enjoyable. And knoweing the game made everything easier. Because you can see ahead off time what they are going to shoot.

What do you think I should have done to make it even better. But over all I realy liket it excepte for my raspy voice. It even gets too me. When I her it.

WE dont her our owne voice too offten. BUt all we can do is play with what we have.

I remember Fly Boy was comeing through Chicago. And he came up too North Shore and He told me that he would play me a game off three coushion billiards for 20 thousand.

And I said howe do you want too play. I had no clue howe he played not even a little bit. But I new he was a pool player.

HE said give me 20 points too one hundred. And I thought about it. And I said OK. So I got 12 people in the place that put up the twenty thousand.

And they all put thier name on thje list. So we new who had what.

And we played and I won the game. And Fly Boy left town Put he cam,e back a few more times. And we played soe good onepocket sessions. For about 4 or 5 days.

AS I remember I gave him one hit and the pick. Or two hit and the pick. I dont remember what the game was exacly. But he loved playing me.

And whoever I ever played always played me again. And very few pool players can say that or do that.

And any time I played the whole Joint would bet all thier money. And if you win they will bring more the next day. And the south side backers would all bet thier money on me too.

PLaying anybody. It didnt matter who I played. Or what game. THey new If I played . I would never dump them off.

And I have always been proud off that. And not a lot off real hustlers can say that. If Freddy would back me.

He wouldnt even watch. He would give me the money and leave. And when people no you like that. They will bet all they have on you. Because they no its for real.

And beside that I never lost very rear. And everyone always got thier money it didnt matter who it was.

And when the joint was slow. Garr would back two players in the same game. Just too watch some action. And thier was some real big money in the place .

A player could win 1 or 2 hundred thousand in a week if he could win. Thier were like 15 people who had big money. And would bet it on pool.

And I never seen any pool room or club. With that kind off money. Excepte THe RAck in Detroite. Witch was the bigest action.

Because off the money people would bet. BUt like everything in life things change.

BUt I will keep giving you stories about playes and games that were played up at North Shore.

I played Blue Shirt. And every body thought he was stealing. Because I gave him two hit and the pick. And It was the other way around. I robed him.

But he had a pretty good reputation as a player.

This guy Eddie from down south went too NY and brought Guisate too beat me. He wanted to beat me in the worst way. And I didnt no who he was.

So Eddie told m,e this guy will play you some one pocket one handed 5 hundred dollaers a game. I sdaid let play. I didnt no he went to NY to bring him to North Shore to beat me.

And he was without a dought one off the greatest one handed players if life.

I ended up beating him 6 games. And Eddie couldnt belive that the man lost.

Amnd I said Eddie whats so hard too belive. I never lost playing one handed in my life.

And Guisate was a real nice man. But he told Eddie he ouldnt win.

And the David Howard came up too North Shore too play me one handed eight ball.

And when we were done he was moaning and complaining. And I told him I thought you were a champion.

And he left town.

Then Mike Mancy just got through winning a nine ball tournement. And he came up to North Shore too play me some one handed Eight ball.

And He asket Phil if he would cash his check that he won in the nineball tournemet. And Phil said ok. I didnt no who Mike Macy was.

And too me it didnt matter who it was. I new I was going too win. And Mike Macy lost his whole check and cash that he had. He played real; good and a great guy too play.

And I played him one more time in Milwakee at the pool tournement. And I beat him again. And that is when he quite gambling.

But I could go on forever. Its hard too belive that I never lost playing one handed. BUt I realy new howe to play. And nobody could have won playing one handed eightball.

And players like Bugs and Cannon ball None off them would play. I played Mexican Johnny one time one handed eight ball on the bar. And he necer wanted too play one handed again.

Playing eight ball two handed I beat some of NY champion straight pool player. BUt playing eight ball nobody in Chicago would play me.

Because they new they could not win. THier is a lot too mo playing eight ball. Especialy playing shoot too hit youre ball. And the barrs were great for eight ball.

And I couldnt get none off the champions too play. And playing eight ball corectly is a beautifull thing too watch.

And I could tell wright away if the player knew howe too play. Or if he was just a shooter. But thats enough for wright now. But I will give you some more.

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
Spell check

Spell check

Artie Bodendorfer said:
I remember Fly Boy was comeing through Chicago. And he came up too North Shore and He told me that he would play me a game off three coushion billiards for 20 thousand.

And I said howe do you want too play. I had no clue howe he played not even a little bit. But I new he was a pool player.

HE said give me 20 points too one hundred. And I thought about it. And I said OK. So I got 12 people in the place that put up the twenty thousand.

And they all put thier name on thje list. So we new who had what.

And we played and I won the game. And Fly Boy left town Put he cam,e back a few more times. And we played soe good onepocket sessions. For about 4 or 5 days.

AS I remember I gave him one hit and the pick. Or two hit and the pick. I dont remember what the game was exacly. But he loved playing me.

And whoever I ever played always played me again. And very few pool players can say that or do that.

And any time I played the whole Joint would bet all thier money. And if you win they will bring more the next day. And the south side backers would all bet thier money on me too.

PLaying anybody. It didnt matter who I played. Or what game. THey new If I played . I would never dump them off.

And I have always been proud off that. And not a lot off real hustlers can say that. If Freddy would back me.

He wouldnt even watch. He would give me the money and leave. And when people no you like that. They will bet all they have on you. Because they no its for real.

And beside that I never lost very rear. And everyone always got thier money it didnt matter who it was.

And when the joint was slow. Garr would back two players in the same game. Just too watch some action. And thier was some real big money in the place .

A player could win 1 or 2 hundred thousand in a week if he could win. Thier were like 15 people who had big money. And would bet it on pool.

And I never seen any pool room or club. With that kind off money. Excepte THe RAck in Detroite. Witch was the bigest action.

Because off the money people would bet. BUt like everything in life things change.

BUt I will keep giving you stories about playes and games that were played up at North Shore.

I played Blue Shirt. And every body thought he was stealing. Because I gave him two hit and the pick. And It was the other way around. I robed him.

But he had a pretty good reputation as a player.

This guy Eddie from down south went too NY and brought Guisate too beat me. He wanted to beat me in the worst way. And I didnt no who he was.

So Eddie told m,e this guy will play you some one pocket one handed 5 hundred dollaers a game. I sdaid let play. I didnt no he went to NY to bring him to North Shore to beat me.

Amnd I said Eddie whats so hard too belive. I never lost playing one handed in my life.

And the David Howard came up too North Shore too play me one handed eight ball.

And when we were done he was moaning and complaining. And I told him I thought you were a champion.

And he left town.

Then Mike Mancy just got through winning a nine ball tournement. And he came up to North Shore too play me some one handed Eight ball.

And He asket Phil if he would cash his check that he won in the nineball tournemet. And Phil said ok. I didnt no who Mike Macy was.

And too me it didnt matter who it was. I new I was going too win. And Mike Macy lost his whole check and cash that he had. He played real; good and a great guy too play.

And I played him one more time in Milwakee at the pool tournement. And I beat him again. And that is when he quite gambling.

But I could go on forever. Its hard too belive that I never lost playing one handed. BUt I realy new howe to play. And nobody could have won playing one handed eightball.

And players like Bugs and Cannon ball None off them would play. I played Mexican Johnny one time one handed eight ball on the bar. And he necer wanted too play one handed again.

Playing eight ball two handed I beat some of NY champion straight pool player. BUt playing eight ball nobody in Chicago would play me.

Because they new they could not win. THier is a lot too mo playing eight ball. Especialy playing shoot too hit youre ball. And the barrs were great for eight ball.

And I couldnt get none off the champions too play. And playing eight ball corectly is a beautifull thing too watch.

And I could tell wright away if the player knew howe too play. Or if he was just a shooter. But thats enough for wright now. But I will give you some more.

Artie was referring to Antonio Montalvo Morales, or "Aguzate," the Puerto Rican one handed player from NY. Little Miami, Isaac Gonzales said Aguzate was the only one handed player he couldnt beat. Artie could have broke me too, betting against him. Fortunately for me, I wasnt there for the game.
The other guy he played 8 ball with was Mike Massey. Artie and Mike played all night at North Shore, and after Mike got broke, rather than go home he put on a 1 hour free trick shot exhibition. Which was very good by the way.

Detroit Whitey played Aguzate in Spanish Harlem. Aguzate was dumping to Whitey. After the match was over, Aguzate sent his agent into the bathroom to collect his end from Whitey. When the guy asked Whitey for the money Whitey told him that it was too dangerous to whack up the money in there. He also told him to wait in the bathroom while he left so it wouldn't look bad. Whitey then walked out of the poolroom. On the way out he looked at Aguzate and gave him the "George" sign, (open right hand over the heart) that indicated that he had left Aguzate's end with the guy that was still in the bathroom. Whitey flew down the stairs and hailed a cab. When Aguzate's man came out of the toilet and displayed an open handed blank stare, they knew that they had been had and rushed out the door after Whitey. They got into a car and chased the cab. When the cab driver realized he was being chased by guys waving guns, he pulled over and gave Whitey up.
They shook Whitey down for all the money and gave him a good beating.
Whitey later bragged that he still held out some money that he had hid in his cap, and a few hundred more in his anal orifice. His words not mine.

Beard

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
Artie Bodendorfer said:

fred bentivegna said:
Artie was referring to Antonio Montalvo Morales, or "Aguzate," the Puerto Rican one handed player from NY. Little Miami, Isaac Gonzales said Aguzate was the only one handed player he couldnt beat. Artie could have broke me too, betting against him. Fortunately for me, I wasnt there for the game.

I don't know for certain if this is the same guy because I've seen several spellings of his name.

Agusate A. Maldonado

A. Maldonado Agusate

and a couple of others all depending on how Google translates spanish to english.

This pic is from a pool site in Puerto Rico http://yordany.webs.com/. The site is run by Ray Yordan who is the man that put me in touch with Miami two years ago.

This man, Agusate, seems to be revered as a fine poolplayer. I think it's the same guy. He was 81 yrs. old in 2009 and I can't find any recent info on him.

Agusate A.jpg

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
Same guy.

Same guy.

Cowboy Dennis said:
I don't know for certain if this is the same guy because I've seen several spellings of his name.

Agusate A. Maldonado

A. Maldonado Agusate

and a couple of others all depending on how Google translates spanish to english.

This pic is from a pool site in Puerto Rico http://yordany.webs.com/. The site is run by Ray Yordan who is the man that put me in touch with Miami two years ago.

This man, Agusate, seems to be revered as a fine poolplayer. I think it's the same guy. He was 81 yrs. old in 2009 and I can't find any recent info on him.

View attachment 3373

I used the spelling I picked up from Steve's, Nickname Thread from a couple years ago. All I ever knew was Aguzate. There was one more great one handed Puerto Rican pool player, Chico from Puerto Rico. He was around in the 60s in Miami. He was also one of the best bumper pool players around.
I would be interested to find out what happened to him. He dropped off the map completely. I would guess drugs, just like the Mexican Cannella.

Beard

junior

Verified Member
Artie Bodendorfer said:

Artie,

What were the things you looked for to know right away if a player knew how to play 8 ball or was just a shooter? Who were some of the other great 8 ball players besides yourself?

Thanks

Fatboy

Verified Member
From
Vegas & LA
fred bentivegna said:
Artie sent me this old interview that took place in my old joint, North Shore Billiard Club, by a local TV station. It is about 30 years old. It is only about 3 mins. long.

http://bankingwiththebeard.com/?p=1078#LegendaryNorthShoreBilliardClub.InterviewwithArtieBodendorfer.

Beard

Does anyone know the exact year this video was shot???

Thats a great looking room, no BS. No beer signs on the wall, etc. Just pool. I wish it was still like that, I been in a few rooms like that many years ago, but now I dont think its possible to sustain a business with table time and a beer & wine licence. Forget about just soda pop, they have no shot. I realize that Hardtimes has survived w/o beer but they are have had a "Hard time" at Hardtimes all these years.

I was looking at a space that is $1/sqft and has almost enough parking(but not enough). Mary K and I were talking about the pool room biz and we agreed that the optimal size for a pool room is 20 9' tables and a couple bar box's. This is not the ideal size for a league room. We were talking about a players/action room. In LA the is something like 7 rooms and 20,000,000 people, and nobody plays. I was at House of Billiards today in Santa Monica, Its a ok room-they are a bit nervous about action(im sure they have their reasons)-Santa Monica is a Nazi style operation(rent control, way to strict city codes etc). Anyways my point is at 4 there was about 7-8 tables going. 4 were players and the rest bangers. I was the youngest person there except one banger he was 35ish, I'm 44. Nobody young plays. When I was 22 I was robbing the 18 year olds, most of them stopped playing and most places I go I'm young. Unless its the Derby then there are younger players, but for every person in their 20's there is 5 players in their 50's at the Derby. Pool is dieing in America, but not in China. I'll talk about that another day

great interview Artie, I called him and watched it once with him on the phone, that was real cool. Artie reminds me of my dad so much its amazing how similar they were in their mannerisms, my dad was just a banger and didnt gamble(they were different in that way) but other than that my dad and Artie are so much the same every time I talk to Artie I think of my dad, even when I see/talk to Artie 7 days in a row I still think of my dad (RIP 2000). I wish I was 16 and lived a mile from North Shore, I'd be a better player today thats for sure.

Thanks for all your Videos, Mr. Beard

Fatboy

P00lh0li0

Verified Member
You got that right about pool in China. Seems there's a table or pool hall around every corner as well as a table maker. There's action too if you want it it seems. Feels like how pool was in the US during the first half of the 20th century.

Fatboy said:
Pool is dieing in America, but not in China. I'll talk about that another day

Fatboy

Fatboy

Verified Member
From
Vegas & LA
P00lh0li0 said:
You got that right about pool in China. Seems there's a table or pool hall around every corner as well as a table maker. There's action too if you want it it seems. Feels like how pool was in the US during the first half of the 20th century.

SVB told me a little about it, later on when i'm awake I'll make a post about what whats going on there, snooker is growing there. Pool is doing well everywhere it seems except America. The problem with Europe is no action. Good nite,

best