North Shore Billiards. Artie interview

mr3cushion

Verified Member
From
Cocoa Beach, FL
Nice to see the old joint and old gone, but not forgotten friends, Reno, Sunshine, all the rest. I'd almost forgotten how the place looked. What would the pool world be like if Artie could play like that now, or even 80%. People that were not there, just don't know!

Nice clip Fred;
Bill Smith "Mr3Cushion"
http://www.mr3cushion.com

philwelch

Verified Member
From
Plainfield,IL

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
Lee Kerplocky

Lee Kerplocky

philwelch said:
Nice video Fred. Is that Reno sitting at the counter in red? The tapes a little fuzzy but thanks for posting it.

Phil

Yes, that was Lee Kerplocky, otherwise known as Reno. Sitting in front of him is Sunshine.

Beard

demonrho

Verified Member
From
SoCal
Thanks, Beard. Nice to see what Artie and North Shore looked like back in the day. I was able to pick Artie's brain about Mexican Johnny and pool at the U.S. Open One Pocket in Vegas. Was hoping you would be there also.

fred bentivegna said:
Artie sent me this old interview that took place in my old joint, North Shore Billiard Club, by a local TV station. It is about 30 years old. It is only about 3 mins. long.

http://bankingwiththebeard.com/?p=1078#LegendaryNorthShoreBilliardClub.InterviewwithArtieBodendorfer.

Beard

Artie Bodendorfer

Verified Member
demonrho said:
Thanks, Beard. Nice to see what Artie and North Shore looked like back in the day. I was able to pick Artie's brain about Mexican Johnny and pool at the U.S. Open One Pocket in Vegas. Was hoping you would be there also.

Its hard to belive but that ids the only picture out thier on North Shore Billiards.

And I lived a half a block away from thier . In Nicky Delrasandos Buldng and Freddy lived next door to me.

Thier were 4 apartments up thier. Right above Keyos Resrataurant. And the stuck the place up and whent up stairs. Were Freddy And I lived. And the took 2 or 3 hostages.

But lukiely nobody got hurt. And Right were we lived you could go a half a block through the alie and you would be wright in Bensingers.

Thier was a lot off everything in that naborhood. THey called it New Town. Lots off unbliveable things happened around thier.

All kinds off Bars and Restaurants. And Whatever you wanted to pick up.It was out thier. And Lake Michigan. And the Rocks were like 4 blocks away.

Golf Raanges. Tennies courts and lincon park Zoo was wright thier too. And the clark street bus would take you towriglt fiels about 12 blocks away.

And I realy enjoyed living thier. And walking down by thr roks and seen all the beautifull women. On the beach from lake dhore drive was Something realy too look at.

And even Riverview park was pretty close. The biggest amusment park in the country. And I realy miss the Italoan Combinations on French bread with hot pepers and Gardaners.

And Ranoldies made great pizza. And their was lots off action.

And Freddys club had a lot off action. And a player would hve had no trouble winninh 50 or 100 thousand dollaers.

Because Garrs crew was good for 30 or 50 themselves,. Thier were lots off horse playersand drinkers and everybody had a good time.

And thatswhat life is about.

I am glade that I had this onr tape off North Shore and Race track Pkil and bobby will enjoy it too.

I no Freddy likes it. Itsa shane he doesnt have a pictureoff 4 bees. Or Bensingers.

Becak then not too meny pictures were taken. Its a same but thats the way it is.

And onr pickture is better then none. And that place was emaculent. Thats becauseLefty Cannon ball use too clead it up when he got older. And I was very close too lefty.

And He could have bearen anybody playin any game.

And Johnny Braton use to come up thier QuickTilles.

North shore was the nicest clob I ever seen. I neverv seen a nicer or cleaner club.

And Freddys wife Terry would back the best chocklet cake in town.

And Freddy would eat two ior three before they could evebn sell them.

One day Freddy would come next door and ask me for a peace off chocklet cake that his wife made.

And I would hold them for her so Ftrddy wouldnt eat them all. And when he asklet me for a peace a cake. Go ahead and ask youre wife if its ok.

And If she said ok he would get a slice or two. If she said no he wouldnt get no cake.

And Mort his counter man was another cake man. He would eat them all. BUt the club was open all day and night. And thier was great action. All the gamblers came buy.

andDouble deck pinichale wasa game theywould gamble at all the time.

And on the second floor they had some great three coushion billiard tables.

And thier was no shortage off money at that time. Even had some great backers.

And I hate too say it I ended up with all the money up thier. I wasin with everybodythat would win. Cards pool Bumper pool Three coushion Sports.

I had a peace off all the money.

Nothing got buy me. And I would have 4 and 5 games going on. And everybody brought me money. It was better then having slot machines going for you.

And I new evrybody and howe they played. Nobody escapte the traps.

Freddy even told me one day. WE must have opened up this club for you.

And I said Yes Freddy. BUt youre the boss.

BUt thier wasaction all the time. IT was a real winner.

And Freddy can reminise now that he has a Picture off the club. It was the fdays when hustling was great.

And Freddy Phil and Bobby the tree owners the realy had a good time.

And Freddy was never much into working. And Phil had too play his horses . That left Bobby to work and run the joint.

BUt it was a very beautiful club. And a great atmosphere.

Freddy could have spent hos whole life rhier if the action wouldnt have got.

Run out. And everybody got along with each other. And thier were some real tough caracters that hung out thier. And some off the bosses from the south side gangs.

But to me it was super gorge. And all the tables and equipment was awsome.

But time changed that too.

I surewish Freddy would have taken more. Pictures. Maybe I can find a tap from bensingrs
And then Freddy will hav a picture off both off his homes.

And that knews reporter was very famous in Chicago.

SJDinPHX

Suspended
Artie Bodendorfer said:
Its hard to belive but that ids the only picture out thier on North Shore Billiards.

And I lived a half a block away from thier . In Nicky Delrasandos Buldng and Freddy lived next door to me.

Thier were 4 apartments up thier. Right above Keyos Resrataurant. And the stuck the place up and whent up stairs. Were Freddy And I lived. And the took 2 or 3 hostages.

But lukiely nobody got hurt. And Right were we lived you could go a half a block through the alie and you would be wright in Bensingers.

Thier was a lot off everything in that naborhood. THey called it New Town. Lots off unbliveable things happened around thier.

All kinds off Bars and Restaurants. And Whatever you wanted to pick up.It was out thier. And Lake Michigan. And the Rocks were like 4 blocks away.

Golf Raanges. Tennies courts and lincon park Zoo was wright thier too. And the clark street bus would take you towriglt fiels about 12 blocks away.

And I realy enjoyed living thier. And walking down by thr roks and seen all the beautifull women. On the beach from lake dhore drive was Something realy too look at.

And even Riverview park was pretty close. The biggest amusment park in the country. And I realy miss the Italoan Combinations on French bread with hot pepers and Gardaners.

And Ranoldies made great pizza. And their was lots off action.

And Freddys club had a lot off action. And a player would hve had no trouble winninh 50 or 100 thousand dollaers.

Because Garrs crew was good for 30 or 50 themselves,. Thier were lots off horse playersand drinkers and everybody had a good time.

And thatswhat life is about.

I am glade that I had this onr tape off North Shore and Race track Pkil and bobby will enjoy it too.

I no Freddy likes it. Itsa shane he doesnt have a pictureoff 4 bees. Or Bensingers.

Becak then not too meny pictures were taken. Its a same but thats the way it is.

And onr pickture is better then none. And that place was emaculent. Thats becauseLefty Cannon ball use too clead it up when he got older. And I was very close too lefty.

And He could have bearen anybody playin any game.

And Johnny Braton use to come up thier QuickTilles.

North shore was the nicest clob I ever seen. I neverv seen a nicer or cleaner club.

And Freddys wife Terry would back the best chocklet cake in town.

And Freddy would eat two ior three before they could evebn sell them.

One day Freddy would come next door and ask me for a peace off chocklet cake that his wife made.

And I would hold them for her so Ftrddy wouldnt eat them all. And when he asklet me for a peace a cake. Go ahead and ask youre wife if its ok.

And If she said ok he would get a slice or two. If she said no he wouldnt get no cake.

And Mort his counter man was another cake man. He would eat them all. BUt the club was open all day and night. And thier was great action. All the gamblers came buy.

andDouble deck pinichale wasa game theywould gamble at all the time.

And on the second floor they had some great three coushion billiard tables.

And thier was no shortage off money at that time. Even had some great backers.

And I hate too say it I ended up with all the money up thier. I wasin with everybodythat would win. Cards pool Bumper pool Three coushion Sports.

I had a peace off all the money.

Nothing got buy me. And I would have 4 and 5 games going on. And everybody brought me money. It was better then having slot machines going for you.

And I new evrybody and howe they played. Nobody escapte the traps.

Freddy even told me one day. WE must have opened up this club for you.

And I said Yes Freddy. BUt youre the boss.

BUt thier wasaction all the time. IT was a real winner.

And Freddy can reminise now that he has a Picture off the club. It was the fdays when hustling was great.

And Freddy Phil and Bobby the tree owners the realy had a good time.

And Freddy was never much into working. And Phil had too play his horses . That left Bobby to work and run the joint.

BUt it was a very beautiful club. And a great atmosphere.

Freddy could have spent hos whole life rhier if the action wouldnt have got.

Run out. And everybody got along with each other. And thier were some real tough caracters that hung out thier. And some off the bosses from the south side gangs.

But to me it was super gorge. And all the tables and equipment was awsome.

I surewish Freddy would have taken more. Pictures. Maybe I can find a tap from bensingrs
And then Freddy will hav a picture off both off his homes.

And that knews reporter was very famous in Chicago.

Sounds like it was a great time to be alive, Artie...I wish I had been there to join in the fun...Unfortunately, I was always a few thousand miles away, and didn't even know it existed.
I guess I had my good times at Cochrans, in SF, and the Cotten Bowling Palace, and the LeCue in Texas...We all have great memories of the old days...:)

Last edited:

Artie Bodendorfer

Verified Member
SJDinPHX said:
Sounds like it was a great time to be alive, Artie...I wish I had been there to join in the fun...Unfortunately, I was always a few thousand miles away, and didn't even know it existed.
I guess I had my good times at Cochrans, in SF, and the Cotten Bowling Palace, and the LeCue in Texas...We all have great memories of the old days...:)

Every body spent thier time some were and everyone has thier experience.

And as long as you did something. You are a winner. No metter were you did then.

WE cant all be in the same place. But we can snjot ourselfs were ever we are. Even now today. Wright this mononte.

And its good that we areall different. What fun would it be if we only herd our owne storys. '

It would get a little boring. And Reno when he hung out at North Shore he would have a bottle off easly times in his locker.

And drink all day long. He had artrites real bad. But outher people drank too.

And you could drinknightand day. And nobody would say anything.

And Even Cannon ballwould drink all the time. IT realy was a drinking crowed.

And nobody ever said antything aboutbthe drinking.

I nothat artritis is brutle. Renos hand would swell upand he was inreal pain.

He was one off the few pool hustlers that stayed with his wife his hole life.

And he would give her all the money he would win. And then give him 20 dollaers the next day to go hustle pool.

bur as long as we stay buissy doing something in life. WE will always be ok.

And when we get older we can appriciate what iotherr people did.

Because the truth is weare all a lot alike. Andvenjoy the same things.

Enjoy all your memories and all the things you did,. Nobody can take them away or change them. NO matter were we are its about what we are doing.

And dont change tell youre last breath. Andthen double up on everything youre doing.

And maybe you will have twice as much fun. ITs your life and time. And nobdy getsit but you.

Nerever stop doing wat you are njoying. Or what good is life if we cannot enjoy outselves.

Double up too catch up.

SJDinPHX

Suspended
Artie Bodendorfer said:
Every body spent thier time some were and everyone has thier experience.

And as long as you did something. You are a winner. No metter were you did then.

WE cant all be in the same place. But we can snjot ourselfs were ever we are. Even now today. Wright this mononte.

And its good that we areall different. What fun would it be if we only herd our owne storys. '

It would get a little boring. And Reno when he hung out at North Shore he would have a bottle off easly times in his locker.

And drink all day long. He had artrites real bad. But outher people drank too.

And you could drinknightand day. And nobody would say anything.

And Even Cannon ballwould drink all the time. IT realy was a drinking crowed.

And nobody ever said antything aboutbthe drinking.

I nothat artritis is brutle. Renos hand would swell upand he was inreal pain.

He was one off the few pool hustlers that stayed with his wife his hole life.

And he would give her all the money he would win. And then give him 20 dollaers the next day to go hustle pool.

bur as long as we stay buissy doing something in life. WE will always be ok.

And when we get older we can appriciate what iotherr people did.

Because the truth is weare all a lot alike. Andvenjoy the same things.

Enjoy all your memories and all the things you did,. Nobody can take them away or change them. NO matter were we are its about what we are doing.

And dont change tell youre last breath. Andthen double up on everything youre doing.

And maybe you will have twice as much fun. ITs your life and time. And nobdy getsit but you.

Nerever stop doing wat you are njoying. Or what good is life if we cannot enjoy outselves.

Double up too catch up.

CaliRed,

I know Artie said some good things...But could you please translate...:D

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
Artie edit

Artie edit

Artie Bodendorfer said:
Its hard to believe but that is the only picture out there on North Shore Billiards.

And I lived a half a block away from there. In Nicky Dellasandro's building, and Freddy lived next door to me.

There were 4 apartments up there. Right above Kiyo's Japanese restaurant. And they once stuck the place up and went up stairs where Freddy and I lived. And they took 2 or 3 hostages. But luckily nobody got hurt. (except the robbers who got taken out in a shootout on the expressway) Right where we lived, you could go a half a block through the alley and you would be right in Bensingers.

There was a lot of everything in that neighborhood. They called it, New Town. Lots of unbelieveable things happened around there.

All kinds of Bars and Restaurants. And whatever you wanted to pick up, it was out there. Lake Michigan and the shore rocks were like 4 blocks away.

Golf Ranges, tennis courts, and Lincon Park Zoo was right there too. The Clark street bus would take you to Wrigley Field about 12 blocks away.

I really enjoyed living there. Walking down by the rocks and seeing all the beautiful women. The beach off Lake Shore drive was really something to look at.

And even Riverview Park was pretty close. The biggest amusement park in the country at that time.

And I really miss the Italian Beef and sausage combinations on French bread with hot peppers and giardiniere.

And Ranaldi's made great New York style pizza. And there was lots of action.

Freddy's club had a lot of action. A player would have had no trouble winning 50 or a 100 thousand dollars.

Because Gars crew was good for 30 or 50 themselves,. There were lots of horse players and drinkers, and everybody had a good time.

And that's what life is about.

I am glade that I had this one tape of North Shore and Race Track Phil and Bobby Wilkinson will enjoy it too.

I know Freddy likes it. Its a shame he doesnt have any pictures of his first joint, The Four Bees. Or Bensingers.

Because then not too many pictures were taken. It's a shame but that's the way it is.

And one picture is better then none. And that place was immaculate. That's because Lefty Cannonball used to clean it up when he got older. And I was very close too Lefty.

And he could have beaten anybody playing any game when he was younger.

And Johnny Bratton use to come up there along with Quick Tillis. (Two famous boxers)

North Shore was the nicest clob I ever seen. I never seen a nicer or cleaner club.

And Freddy's wife Terry would back the best chocolate cake in town.

And Freddy would eat two or three slices before they could even sell them.

One day Freddy would come next door and ask me for a piece of chocolate cake that his wife made.

I would hold them for her so Freddy wouldnt eat them all. And when he asked me for a piece of cake. I'd say, go ahead and ask your wife if its ok.

And Fat Mort, his counter man was another cake man. He would eat them all if you let him.
But the club was open all day and night. And there was great action. All the big gamblers came by.

Double deck pinochle was a game they would gamble at all the time.

And on the second floor they had some great three cushion billiard tables.

There was no shortage of money at that time. They even had some great backers.

And I hate to say it, but I ended up with all the money up there. I was in with everybody that would win. Cards, pool, Bumper pool, Three cushion, sports.

I had a piece of all the money.

Nothing got by me. I would have 4 and 5 games going on. Everybody brought me money. It was better then having slot machines going for you.

I knew everybody and how they played. Nobody escaped the traps.

Freddy even told me one day. We must have opened up this club for you.

And I said, yes Freddy, but you're the boss.

There was action all the time. It was a real winner.

And Freddy can reminisce now that he has a picture of the club. It was the days when hustling was great.

And Freddy, Race Track Phil, and Bobby Wilkinso, the three owners, they really had a good time.

Freddy was never much into working. And Phil had to play his horses . That left Bobby to work and run the joint.

But it was a very beautiful club, and a great atmosphere.

Freddy could have spent his whole life there if the action wouldnt have ran out.

Everybody got along with each other. And there were some real tough characters that hung out there. And some of the bosses from the South Side gangs.

But to me it was super george. All the tables and equipment were awesome.

I sure wish Freddy would have taken more pictures. Maybe I can find a tape from Bensingers.

Then Freddy will have a picture of both of his homes.

That news reporter was very famous in Chicago.

Unfortunately, or fortunately, whatever the case may be, I spent most of the North Shore years in a freebase cocaine stupor. While Artie was winning all the money that he could stand in the joint, I was usually upstairs in the office tending to a bevy of young hotties. But looking back at all of it now, I aint so sure who had the best of the deal. Anyway, its too late now to worry about it.

Beard

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
Edit part 2

Edit part 2

Artie Bodendorfer said:
Everybody spent some time there, and everyone had their experience.

And as long as you did something you are a winner. No matter where you did it.

We cant all be in the same place. But we can enjoy ourselves wherever we are. Even now today. Right at this moment.

And its good that we are all different. What fun would it be if we only heard our own stories? It would get a little boring.

Reno, when he hung out at North Shore, he would have a bottle of Early Times in his locker. And drink all day long. He had arthritis real bad. But other people drank too.

And you could drink nightand day. And nobody would say anything.

Even Cannonball Lefty would drink all the time. It really was a drinking crowd.

Nobody ever said anything about the drinking.

I know that arthritis is brutal. Reno's hand would swell up and he was in real pain.

He was one of the few pool hustlers that stayed with his wife his whole life.

He would give her all the money he would win. And then she'd give him 20 dollars the next day to go hustle pool.

But as long as we stay busy doing something in life we will always be ok.

And when we get older we can appreciate what other people did.

Because the truth is we are all a lot alike. And enjoy the same things.

Enjoy all your memories and all the things you did. Nobody can take them away or change them. No matter where we are, its about what we are doing.

And dont change til your last breath. And then double up on everything you're doing.

And maybe you will have twice as much fun. It's your life and time. And nobody gets it but you.

Never stop doing what you are enjoying. What good is life if we cannot enjoy ourselves.

Double up too catch up.

People were drinking in the joint? That's how much I was paying attention.

Beard

SJDinPHX

Suspended
Had I been there, I may not have been the best player, but, I could give anybody a lot of weight in the drinking department...:p :p :p

Last edited:

Jimmy B

Verified Member
I got curious about the pinochle game and looked it up. I understood about the cards and realize that it's a bidding trick taking game but I am so dumb that I couldn't get exactly how to play. I got to where you exchange cards wi each other and that just lost me. But if I watched and played along and was told how to play, I'm sure that I could pick it up in short order..

I was a chocolate freak also. Sometimes I could be real hungry and instead of eating regular food, I would eat like half of a chocolate cake and a large glass of milk, then nod off like a junkie for awhile and later go to the track and try to jog it off. If I had lived near Artie I would be knocking at all hours saying "Hey man can I get a slice? I'll take German Chocolate anything. If you aren't holding that, I'll take some devils food. I got money right here. He would have had to bar me from his premises for sure.......

Artie looked like he didn't eat too much cake in the North Shore clip. He looked hard and battle ready. In fact I was looking at interview pics and other shots from different places and it occurred to me that Artie, Fred, Bill and J Cooney could all have gone to Hollywood, got their SAG card and a good agent and worked their asses off. Maybe not all of them would achieve as much as Paul Newman, but they all would have been on the level of Harrison Ford or Kevin Costner for sure and possibly more.........

RedCard

Verified Member
Picture

Picture

Jimmy,
Here is a picture of Artie and Tommy the Sailor. Not sure where I got it, I think from Freddy's site. I consider it a helluva picture, possibly a classic. A buddy of mine played Tommy the Sailor in a bleachered room at Bensingers in the early 70s and didn't fare too well. I left when I saw what was coming and bought another bottle of Boone's Farm and went for a walk in the neighborhood.

Attachments

• Sailor-Artie.jpg
    Sailor-Artie.jpg
    126 KB · Views: 0

Jimmy B

Verified Member
RedCard said:
Jimmy,
Here is a picture of Artie and Tommy the Sailor. Not sure where I got it, I think from Freddy's site. I consider it a helluva picture, possibly a classic. A buddy of mine played Tommy the Sailor in a bleachered room at Bensingers in the early 70s and didn't fare too well. I left when I saw what was coming and bought another bottle of Boone's Farm and went for a walk in the neighborhood.

Red Card,
That is one of the pictures from the Artie interview that is right on this sight that I was thinking about. Isn't that one for your book to take to auditions. That is a fantastic photo. I don't know who furnished it originally, but I had assumed it was Fred or Artie. I wanted to put up that pic in here but I didn't know how, so thanks a lot for doing that.

I've taken a few walks like that also. One time I hooke up with a local player who wanted to take a road trip for a couple of days or so. I knew he sure played great watching him practice so I said fine. We will hit some towns within about a hundred miles south on I-85 and go from there. The first stop he gets a twenty dollar game and starts dogging his brains out. Then he starts getting mad at me and tries to blame me, saying he can't play with me staring and being all drawn up and such. I started laughing and said, you only betting 20$ and we are in halfers. That's not enough for me to get drawn up you see. So I gave him another chance and we ended up in Augusta Ga. somehow and a guy named Brock I think finishes both of us off and I couldn't get back home fast enough. His practice game could give his money games the six, eight and the break. I tried to explain to him that he needed to just start gambling regularly and he would fall in the groove and be ok, but he was all about trying to blame me