News of Grady

CaliRed

Verified Member
From
Heart of the Midwest
I do have a hard drive that's JCIN's property in storage that was shoot the last year the Derby was at the Executive, its Grady playing Squirrel, How strong is that?? I need to get it out and copied. Its not my property to distribute, I just wanted to let ppl know it exists and I watched it. I tried to copy it and it crashed a few years ago. JCIN knows I have it and I need to get that drive to him. I know he will make sure everyone has a importunity to watch it. Its safe where its stored and in time i'll get it to him. its a few hours long.

Tell Justin I'd be happy to use that as a project to come up with something cool. I'll copy the data off and send it right back to him and then send him the finished project to see what he thinks. It would stilll remain all his, I'd just be doing some grunt work and experimenting.:cool:

I'm working on a idea with something else involving Grady and some of that video would fit in nicely.:)

Fatboy

Verified Member
From
Vegas & LA
Tell Justin I'd be happy to use that as a project to come up with something cool. I'll copy the data off and send it right back to him and then send him the finished project to see what he thinks. It would stilll remain all his, I'd just be doing some grunt work and experimenting.:cool:

I'm working on a idea with something else involving Grady and some of that video would fit in nicely.:)

i have to find it in storage in Vegas and give it to JCIN. I have permission for my own copy but it ends there. I cant take his property and pass it around. If he says I can give it to you then I will-on his command. I never mentioned it all these years, but in light of this news I thought I would. The drive is in a climate controlled storage space so I'm certain its fine. It was 90% copied when it crashed and then I erased the 90% that did copy over to my drive. I only had permission to copy it for my own viewing. I will make a point of getting to the drive in the next couple months and giving it to Justin. Its in hi-def or close to it, its a action match $6,000 in the middle I think. It was a game that was in the action room on a box off to the side. They just put a camera on it and let it roll. there is no commentary, I cant remember if the mic was hot, I think it was-so there might be some back ground noise. I'm sure Justin will do something cool for everyone, perhaps I shouldn't have put this biz in the street-I dont put much biz in the street, but I'm in shock and wasn't thinking rite. Like I said I dont handle death well.:sorry

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown
Hello to all of you guys on here that I know, and also to those of you that I haven't met.

I have gone to the DCC with my husband Bruce (aka Luke) for the last nine years and have also helped Steve with the Hall of Fame dinner for many of those years. I knew nothing whatsoever about pool and the pool world before I met “the Ghost” – now it is a game and a world that I have much knowledge of and affection for (along with the colorful characters who make up that world – especially the old school contingent, many of whom I've met over the years).

And key among these old school guys to me are Grady and Freddy. Grady’s dedication and love for pool and the pool world has always made such a vivid impression on me – right from the first time I encountered him at the DCC nine years ago. I cannot even imagine a DCC without him. I am so sad. The DCC will not be the same.

Grady, I hope you are not in pain.

With a heavy heart, Riva

tonygreen

Well-Known-Member
Grady,
unlike many here, I did not meet you until the early 90's but upon my first encounter with you I was an immediate fan of your character. You spent 25 minutes with me graciously for no apparent reason showing me different situations on the the table. Your desire to teach an inspire is unparalleled.

Thank you for your contribution to pool and to making the world a better place in your own way. You frequented USA Billiards for months at a time and the time that you spent with me I will always cherish, many will show a thing or two but not in your manner. I am not a churchgoer but my mother is and I will offer up your name to her and ask her to say a good word on your behalf. Your work an dedication will not have been in vain.

Bill

Verified Member
From
Washington DC
I would like whom ever appreciated Grady as a human being and as a player to get behind me and lobby for him to be nominated to the BCA Hall Of Fame, please. Mary Kenniston said to me earlier today that the BCA should recognize American players more than foreign players, and she could be right about that. I'm old school and I have obviously been around for many years, 50 would be a reasonable guess. And as I look back through those years I can't help but see Grady's face pop up a countless number of times as I reminiscence the players / promoters/ instructors/ commentators/ and characters of our sport. What does a guy need to do to get recognition? really. If it wasn't for his impulsive side he would be a shoo in imo. Lets do this for one of the all time greats, and give him that roll that has eluded him for so many years.

Thank you,
Billy Incardona

"If it wasn't for his impulsive side he would be a shoo in imo. Lets do this for one of the all time greats, and give him that roll that has eluded him for so many years"

Well said Billy, I like that. Not one of us is perfect. Some are more outspoken

This would be a nice gesture and a well deserved nomination

Hang in there Mr Grady Mathews sir, thoughts and prayers are with you

Your friend, Bill Stephen

tylerdurden

Verified Member
I never met Grady, but felt like I knew him through his commentary. His entertaining, humorous, insightful, and not necessarily politically correct style will perhaps never be duplicated, and I feel like he had a voice that spoke like no other to the serious player. It would be an outright tragedy if he wasn't inducted into the HOF, he is already there in my own mind at least. He had a profound effect on me. I sent him a card today from Bangkok, I hope it makes it to him.

Cal

Verified Member
From
Pittsburgh Pennsylvania
If anything is to be done to honor Grady, don't be too long about it. He is in hospice.

You meet many people in our travel through life ,Grady is that special one.There are many things I can about him, but the most important is that he is a man among men. Thanks Grady for being you. My prayers are with you .

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
I was most impressed by Grady..

I was most impressed by Grady..

...for something most people wouldnt consider as significant. It was his greed, gamble and heart. His ability and drive to follow all the way thru on a score.
His instinct to be smart enough to finish somebody off when he sensed weakness. Most players dont have the cods to up the spot when they are strumming on you, so they can go ahead and bust you. They'll just quit and hope to maybe catch you helpless again the next time you play.

I had busted Grady playing even one pocket at my joint the 4 B's. A real trouncing. I next ran into him in Milwaukee a few months later. He asked me to play and I "cleverly" asked him for 8 to 7, now that I was off home court. He of course agreed. I had bankroll back then and was a good target if you could beat me. Unfortunately for me, the mixture or whatever, wasnt right and I was helpless. To protect myself I asked for 9 to 7 if he wanted to keep playing. He seen I was a dead fish and he handed it out. The rout continued and I upped the ante to needing 10 to 7. Grady seen I showed no signs of improving and wisely agreed. 10 to 7 didnt help and my only defense now was to ask for 11 to 7 and hope he says no. He didnt, and finished me off for a nice score.
95% of the pool hustler world would have refused to up the spot and would have let me off the hook.

Now, to show you how things can change, especially in my Jekyll and Hyde pool fortunes, Grady came to Chicago some months later and we played at the Billiard Cafe. No more 11 to 7, we both knew that was a one time deal, so we settled on 9 to 8 on his break and I won easily.

Beard

Bugs did the same kind of thing when he played Steve Mizerak in Steve's basement in NJ. They started even one pocket, went to 8 to 7 and finally Steve demanded 9 to 7 if he was going to keep playing. Bug's partner, Alphonse Daniels, pleaded with Bugs to refuse Steve's request and just quit with what they had already won. "This man is the world's straight pool champion, on his own table, we don't need none of this!" Alfonse begged. Bugs' classic reply defined his killer instinct attitude, "Sheet, this man is dead!" Bugs gave him the 9 to 7 and put Steve down the rest of the way.

Last edited:

petie

Verified Member
From
Citrus Springs, FL
One man stood shoulders higher
No other equaled him
Even after he lost his fire
Professor influenced the world we’re in.
Others will reap his fruits for years
Correctly playing the game we choose
Knowing how to conquer our fears
Even when we think we’ll lose.
To Grady we open our saddened hearts his recent news so dire.

Pelican

Verified Member
From
Magnolia Springs, AL
I have not known Grady as long as most of you, only about 10 years, but we have become very close. I went up to Lexington 2 weeks ago and spent 4 days with him before he left the hospital. We enjoyed some of my Creole wife's gumbo Friday night and some Conecuh Sausage while watching football Saturday night. He was in great spirits and we had a wonderful visit. He had not started chemo at this time.

Y'all don't start diggin the grave yet cause he ain't giving up so easy. I told him that one thing he taught me was to "always give yourself a chance to win". This is the most important game he has ever played and by God he is going to give himself a chance to win. Here is a copypaste from his facebook:

"My Daughter posted sensitive personal health information about me without my knowledge or consent. My doctor has never used the word "terminal" with me. I saw the word first on her post. I'm going through chemo, First three done, next three start Oct 27th. I had hoped to finish the 10 chemo treatments, then get a long term prognosis, maybe followed by rehab. Please don't call me, voice is shot. Don't have time or inclination to do E-mail.
Love and prayers will help
Love Grady"

I am leaving in the morning to go up and stay till Monday. If he Ok's I will update on him when I get back. If he wants to remain private that is the way it will be because I love him like a brother.

Later, Pel

newfosgatesucks

Verified Member
I know how devastating and traumatic this is and I hope that whatever comes of this you can have peace through it all.

God Bless you for the rest of your days. I will remember your children and family in prayer.

Keith/Blackee (Jackson,TN) has terminal lung cancer now also. Maybe the two of you might benefit from a little catching up.
'

Mary Kenniston

Verified Member
I am pleased to report that "the rumors of Grady's impending demise have been greatly exaggerated!" Grady called me last night. He sounded weak but that is to be expected considering what he's going through. He's hanging tough & is not giving up - he will be starting the next round of chemo on the 27th. He's annoyed that his condition was mischaracterized but is grateful for all the kind words, cards, letters & prayers from his friends & fans. Keep 'em coming, guys! We need to pull him in! He told me he's going to beat this!

Grady's address: 815 Old Cherokee Road, Camelia Court 407A, Lexington, SC 29072

-----------------------------

I'm with you, Billy! Let's see if we can get Grady into the BCA Hall of Fame. To me, it's a no-brainer - he's got all the bases covered: world class player, trick shot artist (bet a few of you have never saw Grady eating fire!!!), commentator, tournament promoter, instructor, author...I'm sure I left something out. I'm pretty sure it's too late for this year since they're having the induction dinner next week, but let's make sure we take dead aim at this. Give me a call, Billy - let's come up with a game plan.

markgriffin

Verified Member
Grady should be in HOPF

Grady should be in HOPF

Mary Kenniston said: I'm with you, Billy! Let's see if we can get Grady into the BCA Hall of Fame. To me, it's a no-brainer - he's got all the bases covered: world class player, trick shot artist (bet a few of you have never saw Grady eating fire!!!), commentator, tournament promoter, instructor, author...I'm sure I left something out. I'm pretty sure it's too late for this year since they're having the induction dinner next week, but let's make sure we take dead aim at this. Give me a call, Billy - let's come up with a game plan.

if there is anything I can do to help push this to Grady in the BCA HOF - where he belongs, plese let me know. I do know a few of the committee and I will be more than happy to lobby them.

He belongs there. In recent times, no one has had a larger impact for so many years as Grady.

Mark Griffin

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
Mary Kenniston said: I'm with you, Billy! Let's see if we can get Grady into the BCA Hall of Fame. To me, it's a no-brainer - he's got all the bases covered: world class player, trick shot artist (bet a few of you have never saw Grady eating fire!!!), commentator, tournament promoter, instructor, author...I'm sure I left something out. I'm pretty sure it's too late for this year since they're having the induction dinner next week, but let's make sure we take dead aim at this. Give me a call, Billy - let's come up with a game plan.

if there is anything I can do to help push this to Grady in the BCA HOF - where he belongs, plese let me know. I do know a few of the committee and I will be more than happy to lobby them.

He belongs there. In recent times, no one has had a larger impact for so many years as Grady.

Mark Griffin

mark
lobby them
tell us what to do next

Mary Kenniston

Verified Member
correction...seen Grady eating fire...

Hi, Mark - sounds good. Now that they've got a Veterans Category, we need to fill it up while these guys are still with us. I think they should do a minimum of at least two veteran players each year.

Here's my list of players for consideration: Grady Mathews, Billy Incardona, Wade Crane, Richie Florence, Danny Jones, Joe Kerr, the Jansco brothers and, since we're putting non-Americans in our Hall of Fame, Jose Parica. I probably left somebody out but that's my list with Grady as my first pick.

So tell us, Mark, what do we need to do?

Rodan

Verified Member
I am pleased to report that "the rumors of Grady's impending demise have been greatly exaggerated!" Grady called me last night. He sounded weak but that is to be expected considering what he's going through. He's hanging tough & is not giving up - he will be starting the next round of chemo on the 27th. He's annoyed that his condition was mischaracterized but is grateful for all the kind words, cards, letters & prayers from his friends & fans. Keep 'em coming, guys! We need to pull him in! He told me he's going to beat this!

Grady's address: 815 Old Cherokee Road, Camelia Court 407A, Lexington, SC 29072

-----------------------------

I'm with you, Billy! Let's see if we can get Grady into the BCA Hall of Fame. To me, it's a no-brainer - he's got all the bases covered: world class player, trick shot artist (bet a few of you have never saw Grady eating fire!!!), commentator, tournament promoter, instructor, author...I'm sure I left something out. I'm pretty sure it's too late for this year since they're having the induction dinner next week, but let's make sure we take dead aim at this. Give me a call, Billy - let's come up with a game plan.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
I first met Grady in about 1978 at his small pool room in Colorado Springs. I admired his skill because I had never seen anyone who could play pool that well. I learned that he admired someone named Buddy Hall and someone named Ronny Allen. I had never heard of either of them. Grady would play 50-No Count straight pool with anyone in town and he played heads up with a steady stream of visitors who I later realized were the champions of the day. They all knew Grady. I got to meet “Cowboy” Jimmy Moore, Al “New York Blackie” Bonife, Steve Mizerak, and Chuey Rivera, who appeared every three months with a supporting retinue to fire a couple of thousand jellybeans at Grady, which Grady happily accepted. Chuey had a lot of heart. I hope he’s not dead like the others.

When the action was slow, Grady would walk around a table demonstrating techniques to get out of unusual and bizarre situations. He was always free with his knowledge. Hanging out within earshot of Grady was an education in itself, like getting a continuous chalk talk from the world’s best sports coach.

The next time I ran across Grady was at the Caesar’s South Lake Tahoe tournament in 1982-83. He had opened a huge action room in
Denver and the authorities intended to shut down the business unless it
quit allowing gambling. Gambling and Grady are two different spellings of the same word, so I asked if he had thought of trying some other business. He said, “Pool is my life. I will play out this hand as long as I live.”

And so he has. Grady IS the elder statesman of pool. He is on my hall of fame list.

Rodan.