lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
ill post here what i posted at azb
dear professor
i had the priveledge to spend time with you and randi
your videos gave info to lesser players at a time when noone would share info
you relentess effort to promote one pocket in particular and pool in general is commended
my hope is the end of your journey would be with no pain and at peace with your self
very happy to have gotten to know you
Larry

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
I just got my email -- I'm working out of town for a few days. I am so sorry to hear this. Grady has been a huge inspiration to me and guiding spirit for our One Pocket Hall of Fame.

From his daughter Marie:
It is with deepest reget that I announce that my father has been diagnosed with terminal lung cancer. I know how much he is loved in his community, and now that he has decided to share his news...Here is his address at the hospice. 815 Old Cherokee Rd Lexington, SC 29072 Camelia Court 407A
I am sure he would love to read letters from any of his friends

Pelican

Verified Member
From
Magnolia Springs, AL
I had not posted about this as Grady asked me not to. I went up the first of the month while he was in the hospital and am going back this coming weekend. He asked for my help in getting his affairs in order. I am extremely saddened by this as I love Grady like a brother. I will update after I return Monday.

Pel

CaliRed

Verified Member
From
Heart of the Midwest
I had not posted about this as Grady asked me not to. I went up the first of the month while he was in the hospital and am going back this coming weekend. He asked for my help in getting his affairs in order. I am extremely saddened by this as I love Grady like a brother. I will update after I return Monday.

Pel

I am so saddened to hear this news. Because he is in hospice, that is very bad news. I am shocked about this because it appeared that he has been very active up until I guess around a month ago. Did this all come on sudden, as far as a deteriorating condition?

I hope he is not in too much pain. God I hate this damn cancer. It just seems to keep rearing it's ugly head every time I turn around.:(

Terry Ardeno

Verified Member
From
Washington, Pa
So sad......

So sad......

Sunday after church, my wife & I went out to the Texas Roadhouse in Washington, Pa. The waitress sat us directly across from the booth that Grady, Randi & I had our nearly 4 hour lunch / supper a few years ago. I was looking at the booth, which was empty at the time. Brandie saw me staring at it & when I turned to tell her, she interrupted me & said "I know, I know...that's where you sat with Grady Mathews."

Last week, I actually started a thread about "Where's Grady been?" but I erased it before it was even posted. I know he likes his privacy & I just figured he was still plugging along doing what Grady does.

I peeked in here tonight & it's hard to put into words just how sad this news is to me. And, I'm certain, to many others as well.

It's not hyperbole to say that I love Grady. Sure, we was a great player, one of the absolute best ever at commentating, and super funny in his story telling. His persona was one of a kind.

But I actually love Grady the human being even more then I love him as a pool player. I wish so bad that I could go visit him one last time.....

I'm going to be in prayer that Grady's last days here are peaceful & that his family will somehow be comforted during these very sad days.

Mary Kenniston

Verified Member
I learned this afternoon that my good friend of 35 years was in a hospice. Not only was Grady one of the greatest players of my generation, but he was also a tireless promoter of the game we all love. Whether it was reading one of his books, watching one of his instructional dvds, attending one of his many tournaments, getting a lesson or just sitting around listening to one of his war stories, there was never a doubt that he loved pool & the people that play. The last time I saw Grady was at the Hall of Fame Dinner at DCC & we spent hours just laughing & talking. Damn, I hate this...it's so sad. While we still can, let's let him know we're thinking of him & how he touched us all by dropping him a line or sending a card. If you don't already have it, here's his address at the hospice: 815 Old Cherokee Road, Camelia Court 407A, Lexington, SC 29072.

JAM

Verified Member
I remember the first time I met Grady Mathews was when he was on the road putting on exhibitions. He happened to come into my pool room in the Maryland area where I was working.

Everybody was asking him for autographs, getting their pictures taken with him, and I was just like all the other pool tourists.

Years later, I got to meet Grady on a more personal level. It was Grady, in fact, who managed to mend my relationship with Keith one year. He intervened and fixed my broken heart. I'll never, ever forget that.

I don't think I've met a more passionate man about pool than Grady. He's a proud man who enjoys sharing his pool knowledge with others. I hope he is comforted with friends and loved ones now, so he realizes how much people really do care about him. He deserves the recognition for all of his contributions to the sport, but most of all, he needs his friends right now, probably more than ever.

Here is me, the pool fan, thrilled to have my picture taken with Grady. I think this was sometime in the early '80s era, if memory serves me right. Me and Grady both had a nice thick head of hair back then. :p

Attachments

• New Orleans 009.jpg
    New Orleans 009.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 0

petie

Verified Member
From
Citrus Springs, FL
I'm very sorry to hear about Grady. He worked very hard to promote our sport. Though I did not know him on a personal level save for a few conversatons, I especially admired him for the courage he demonstrated by staying in the public eye even after he was severely compromised by Parkinson's. He lived his entire life on his own hook. This can't be easy but I couldn't imagine it any other way for Grady. God bless.

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
Send a letter

Send a letter

Grady would prefer letters from his friends. Apparently he has much difficulty talking. I sent one off this morning. I was gonna ask him to get the partners one pocket game with Whitey, Cornbread, him, and I, set up. Change partners every game of course, but I thought better of it and didnt put it in.

Beard

SJDinPHX

Suspended
I've known Grady since he was a hard scuffling, promising youngster. I was not surprised (when I came out of retirement) to find that he was championing the game he loved, by promoting many large, well run tournaments, and, as Steve said, his tireless work, at One Pocket.org.

I attended the first "Grady run" tournament I could, ('98 in Baton Rouge)..and we easily resumed our friendship...He even put me on the TV table, (almost the first match, I believe) for my one, and only, AccuStat appearance...I didn't thank him, as I really felt he was throwing me to the wolves...:) (Just Kidding, Grady)

He will be in my thoughts and prayers, and I know he will face this adversity, like he has every other one, in his long, colorful journey...He has no quit in him !

Good Luck Grady, and hey, just remember, John Wayne beat it, and you could have easily given him, 14 to 2...:cool:

All the best to you, and your loved ones, in these very trying times.

Dick Mc Morran

Last edited:

RedCard

Verified Member
Hang in there Grady. Miracles sometimes happen. I ran a ball once.

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
I would like whom ever appreciated Grady as a human being and as a player to get behind me and lobby for him to be nominated to the BCA Hall Of Fame, please. Mary Kenniston said to me earlier today that the BCA should recognize American players more than foreign players, and she could be right about that. I'm old school and I have obviously been around for many years, 50 would be a reasonable guess. And as I look back through those years I can't help but see Grady's face pop up a countless number of times as I reminiscence the players / promoters/ instructors/ commentators/ and characters of our sport. What does a guy need to do to get recognition? really. If it wasn't for his impulsive side he would be a shoo in imo. Lets do this for one of the all time greats, and give him that roll that has eluded him for so many years.

Thank you,
Billy Incardona

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
Well said

Well said

I would like whom ever appreciated Grady as a human being and as a player to get behind me and lobby for him to be nominated to the BCA Hall Of Fame, please. Mary Kenniston said to me earlier today that the BCA should recognize American players more than foreign players, and she could be right about that. I'm old school and I have obviously been around for many years, 50 would be a reasonable guess. And as I look back through those years I can't help but see Grady's face pop up a countless number of times as I reminiscence the players / promoters/ instructors/ commentators/ and characters of our sport. What does a guy need to do to get recognition? really. If it wasn't for his impulsive side he would be a shoo in imo. Lets do this for one of the all time greats, and give him that roll that has eluded him for so many years.

Thank you,
Billy Incardona

i am in 100 percent agreement.

Beard

usblues

Verified Member
From
St Paul,Mn
the world.....

the world.....

......would be a far better place if there were more guys like Grady around.He is already missed and he's still here and on some levels always will be,adios my friend,Bob

Fatboy

Verified Member
From
Vegas & LA
I was at the tattoo shop last night when I got the news, I dreamed of Grady all night.

I have known hiom for about 20 years and back in the early 90's he treated me like I was a important person in pool, I was a nobody. When I got reconnected with him 15 years later he still treated me so nicely. For what ever reason he has always been good to me.

I dont deal well with death, and knowing that he is terminal breaks my heart.

Another thing is there is lots of 1P in his brain that he will take with him, 1P is much different now than it was 25 years ago, Grady shoots split shots better than anyone I ever saw and very few young guys shoot them at all. He also has a million tricks up his sleve when the CB is 4" away from the last 2 balls on the table. I watched him showing Rex Cannon, Mary & Fred many shots even Rex didnt know and he was 80 yrs old. I wish I had a video of that day.

I do have a hard drive that's JCIN's property in storage that was shoot the last year the Derby was at the Executive, its Grady playing Squirrel, How strong is that?? I need to get it out and copied. Its not my property to distribute, I just wanted to let ppl know it exists and I watched it. I tried to copy it and it crashed a few years ago. JCIN knows I have it and I need to get that drive to him. I know he will make sure everyone has a importunity to watch it. Its safe where its stored and in time i'll get it to him. its a few hours long.

Fatboy

Verified Member
From
Vegas & LA

Thank you,
Billy Incardona

that needs to happen NOW, not post humonously. Let Grady enjoy the moment while he is able. I know Mary for 20 years and were the best of friends, I'll do what ever I can to make this happen(what ever it could be I dont know). It needs to happen a emergency addition to the HOF for Grady is not too much to ask of anyone who knows anything about pool.

Frank Almanza

Verified Member
From
Upland, California
It's hard to realize what time does to us. I first met and played Grady some nine ball in Berkeley Ca. around 1968. Seems like just yesterday. I remember so clearly how he danced around the table making everything he shot at. Our game drew a crowd because of him. Many there had heard of him and how he played. He was impressive to say the least. If anyone deserves BCA HOF, he does.

To imagine him lay-ed up in hospice is difficult for me. I wish for him the most comfort that can be had. Hearing this, at my age, it makes me want to change some priorities around and enjoy life more.