New DCC rules...

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
Don't tease me.. You ain't coming...

Last time I played up there in J Town I played bank with a old guy named Kentucky. He reminded me of you. I mean wtf, how many of you assholes named Kentucky are there...
haha, the other person I know named Kentucky, their first name was Bill also, too funny!

crabbcatjohn

Verified Member
From
Benton, Ky.
From Facebook: # Derby is forever!

Derby city recap of recap: I had a very good conversation with diamond billiard products regarding the derby city going forward. Again my favorite event of the year. Diamond wants nothing more than to make this event better and address all issues players face as well as td's and diamond as a promoter of this event. The first issue addressed was the time problems we faced. This year changes were made and this includes pocket size and the one pocket rules, specifically the Grady mathews rule. Unfortunately we all learned this was not enough change as the event has grown. It has been verified that the event will gain a day next year and the entries will be limited to somewhere around 400 participants. So get your entries paid early. I am confidant this will help tremendously. Remember, the folks running the event have to be there double time what we do so show a little empathy if you can. Next Chad Scharlow is making great strides to look at some changes in table layout to create some more space between tables to help play flow. I am going to shoot some ideas his way as I paid attention to the layout and trusses above this year. Last but not least I feel there will be more money added next year and a small possible entry fee increase to bump the prize pool as well. Something I think everyone overlooked when venting concerns and frustrations is that the buy backs are not kept by diamond. they are used towards the master of the table which I believe is 30k. In the future we probably need a better line off communication with our concerns vs blasting via social media. They go through alot to put on a tournament like this and do much for pool and are extremely appreciated for that. They *diamond billiard products and staff want to see the professional side flourish as much as the pros because it helps their business. I am very happy I was able to talk with them about this and felt very reasurred after I saw their stance on these issues. They are in our corner.

lfigueroa

Verified Member
I suppose if this was the second or third edition of the event that would all be much easier to swallow.

But they just completed their 25th tournament and the problems people are kvetching about have existed for a significant portion of those years. So great, another day of play for the pros at the end of what is already a death march -- many of them are already saying they'll stay away next year; they limited the entries this year and we saw what happened; the Express rules for 1pocket are a joke; maybe they'll squeeze in a few more tables in, despite the fact that you already have to watch yourself in the main tournament room to avoid stepping into a player at an adjoining table and the tables in the large room upstairs are dark because of the 7' lights they use up there; and we may get to pay more for the privilege of staying in a marginal hotel with very limited food options. Yea.

As to discussing things on social media, that's the way of the world today. I like to think that all the write-ups many of us did in the old days help drive, in some small way, the popularity of the event, so frankly I have no problem to continue speak about the event online. And, if they stay true to form, we'll be having this same discussions next year. Given the last couple of decades, it's the way to bet.

So, Lou, if it's so bad why don't you just stay home?

Because there's not much else for a pool player to do in January; the drive is less than four hours; if I make reservations early enough I can get a good steak for dinner; and I get to see friends from all around the world. Plus I get to see how it goes with my own two peepers.

Lou Figueroa

lfigueroa

Verified Member
Probably the toughest tournament in the world to run with the buy back option and the huge turnout...

Probably over 10 years ago, Bob Jewett, a pretty smart cookie in anyone’s book, told them how to fix the buy back.

Lou Figueroa

lfigueroa

Verified Member
BTW, if anyone here thinks I'm being too harsh on Diamond, or am anti-DCC, there's an excellent discussion going on now on AZ, led by a highly respected poster, SJM:

Lou Figueroa

stevelomako

Verified Member
From
Detroit, MI
From Facebook: # Derby is forever!

Derby city recap of recap: I had a very good conversation with diamond billiard products regarding the derby city going forward. Again my favorite event of the year. Diamond wants nothing more than to make this event better and address all issues players face as well as td's and diamond as a promoter of this event. The first issue addressed was the time problems we faced. This year changes were made and this includes pocket size and the one pocket rules, specifically the Grady mathews rule. Unfortunately we all learned this was not enough change as the event has grown. It has been verified that the event will gain a day next year and the entries will be limited to somewhere around 400 participants. So get your entries paid early. I am confidant this will help tremendously. Remember, the folks running the event have to be there double time what we do so show a little empathy if you can. Next Chad Scharlow is making great strides to look at some changes in table layout to create some more space between tables to help play flow. I am going to shoot some ideas his way as I paid attention to the layout and trusses above this year. Last but not least I feel there will be more money added next year and a small possible entry fee increase to bump the prize pool as well.

Something I think everyone overlooked when venting concerns and frustrations is that the buy backs are not kept by diamond. they are used towards the master of the table which I believe is 30k.
👆🏻 This is funny. 👆🏻
So if the buy backs aren’t kept by Diamond, who gets the money that’s left over?

In the future we probably need a better line off communication with our concerns vs blasting via social media. They go through alot to put on a tournament like this and do much for pool and are extremely appreciated for that. They *diamond billiard products and staff want to see the professional side flourish as much as the pros because it helps their business. I am very happy I was able to talk with them about this and felt very reasurred after I saw their stance on these issues. They are in our corner.

stevelomako

Verified Member
From
Detroit, MI
Something for everyone to keep in mind also.

The DCC has been for a long time now…a profit making business venture.

Everyone involved gets paid for what they do. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
From
Klamath Falls, Or.
John, thanks for posting up the face book comment!
I talked to Greg about a month before his tournament about OP. He really likes OP the best and wants to promote more OP tournaments, but his biggest concern is a match going on for 5 or 6 hrs. that derails the tournament. But now Buffalo had a successful tournament therefore we might see more tournaments down the road.
A fellow player from my town called me up and he stated; " the Derby City Classic played 30 hours straight on Saturday to finish on Sunday, a day over schedule"
Well, so much for blaming OP! I mean how can you when there is a 4 hr. cap.
The other games, 9-ball, and 10 ball are so boring the way their game rules are. They are just hard to watch. Those games really need a boost of excitement!
We understand what is wrong with 9 & 10 ball, boring, but banks. This is it for me in banks, the rack! I get so tired of watching the player trying to rack the balls, sometimes it is a long an arduous affair, and you know they are fudging the rack to pocket a ball. Very hard to watch!

So if we can not blame OP, then what game is going over Banks or 9-ball, or both. I believe there was one post that stated some bank games go on for 2 hrs. 9-ball being what it is, could it be the alternating breaks is causing it to go over?
Whitey

Last edited: