Need ideas for 1P Shots in SloMo

petie

Verified Member
From
Citrus Springs, FL
Slomo,

These are absolutely fantastic. I have shot most of these shots in games and have even made them (albeit missing them more than making them) but seeing the actual ultra slomo is very instructive. I can't wait to get to the table to perfect them which I now feel I can after seeing how they actually work.

SloMoHolic

Verified Member

I think one of the most important shots in slow-mo would be when an object ball skids. These always drive me crazy and seem to happen all the time on Simmoinis cloth.

Hi Bill,
Check this video at about 3:29. I rubbed some chalk on the contact point of the OB to force it to skid for these shots.

Surely, I'm not the only one that can "hear" a skid. Do you know what I mean? In the video, you can see both the OB and CB hop a few times, which I believe is the cause of the "skid noise."

-Blake

[ame]http://youtube.com/watch?v=J2gcgqUt00w[/ame]

SloMoHolic

Verified Member

It would be great to see what is happening with some of the headier extraction shots, where the opponent has a ball deep in their pocket. Sometimes they remove balls that I can just not fathom. I believe one extraction depends on the rail compressing and then the OB hits the points multiple times on the way out. Not only would this video be cool to see, but it might really improve understanding. Thanks.

Clyde

I'm still working on this. I'd love to see some more of these shots myself. I got a few lessons in extraction this last weekend, so hopefully I'll have something for you soon.

And I agree about understanding the shots. Honestly, that's the #1 reason I do any SloMo at all.

-Blake

SloMoHolic

Verified Member

I've seen Cliff make this one. it might be interesting. :)
Rod.
P.S. He made on tall Jeff Sparks and retired him from his comeback. :D

Good lord. What a shot. I'll try it, but there are two issues:
1. It's hard to get decent quality with my camera while seeing the whole table.
2. Umm, I might need a designated shooter for this shot!

I'll see what I can do!

SloMoHolic

Verified Member

I was thinking this too -- take out shots.

Another shot I have seen Cliff shoot is when there are two balls spotted up, and he shoots to force the head ball into his pocket while two-railing the back ball. Most people play this starting with the cue ball diagonally opposite from their own pocket (except a little closer to the center of the table), but Cliff also shoots it with the Cue ball starting on the other side of the head spot, something like this (taken from Willi Joplin diagram):

Challenge accepted. I'll give this a shot!

SloMoHolic

Verified Member

Cliff is pretty good at not only taking them out, he is also able to control the cue and object ball pretty well -- I'd like to see a few of those. If you show it at real speed and slo mo we might get a better feel for how hard/soft you are hitting them.

Pretty damn impressive camera work -- thank you!!!!

Thanks for the compliments!

I will try to get a variety of extraction shots, next time I see Cliff. He may have some specific ideas, but I'd also like to just set up a few semi-random hangers and see what he does with them.

I'll also try to capture them with my second camera so we have a real time comparison, as well as sound.

SloMoHolic

Verified Member

...great photography......

.......that's what I call....."pocket speed".....:lol

............even though it was a video on breaks.........it will also allow a 65 year old know-it-all ....to illustrate...pocket speed vs table speed .....to a 28 yr old know-it-all.......:frus.....

......gonna make him watch this video......:D

...very nice break by the way......so when we match-up...I'll know your break is worth 5 balls...not the standard ball and a half....;)..

...great job....

Lol, that break might be worth 5 balls, but my shotmaking takes us right back to an even game. :)

-Blake
^^ 33 year old know it all :)

SloMoHolic

Verified Member

Blake,

Fantastic work.

I would love to see a top, birds eye view of the initial break shot showing examples of the corner ball "leaking" out over your opponents pocket.

Given that it sometimes happens with great regularity, and other times not at all, I'd be very interested to perhaps capture the ball gap sequence that spits out the corner ball.

Thanks

Bernie Pettipiece.

Thanks, Bernie!

I got a tip last weekend about that damn leaky corner ball. I'll shoot some more (video and pool) and see if we can capture it.

PS, the tip I so dearly paid for DID relate to a certain gap sequence. I also learned an interesting variation of the break that might eliminate the leaking corner ball.

SloMoHolic

Verified Member

I had to go try this shot just now.Made it on the first try.I just used center cball.That's a heck of shot. I've seen it before but not setting like that.Guess it works from alot of places;) John B.

That's it! I'm printing out your and framing it! Thanks, John!

The shot did work quite well from a few different CB positions, and was much more consistent than I expected it to be. The CB usually ended up near the corner pocket on the same long rail as my target pocket. With a little work, I bet we could get the CB to end up a little safer...

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
Good lord. What a shot. I'll try it, but there are two issues:
1. It's hard to get decent quality with my camera while seeing the whole table.
2. Umm, I might need a designated shooter for this shot!

I'll see what I can do!

Look, I have an opportunity to capture some of Cliff's best shots in slow motion. I'm sure he will volunteer a couple of them, but HERE is your chance to make a specific request, if you have one (and I know you do)

Mo, I meant for Cliff. I thought you said he might help with your project.
I've never made the shot, you'll wear yourself out trying it. As I said before Cliff makes it. It's something to see.
Rod.
P.S. Great job on the ones you've done.

SloMoHolic

Verified Member

I watched it several times, and will again, several times.

Slo-Mo - thanks a lot for this view of what's going on in that clack-clack collision.

I notice that the OB on the rail rolls pretty naturally after the double kiss toward the pocket..it doesn't look like it picked up much if any collision spin.

Maybe someone who knows could respond...could it be that the OB is 'stunned' to rail and comes back off 'dead'?

The CB looks like it has top and a little right on it. It rebounds a bit, then holds position trying to get traction, and gets hit again, creating a new tangent line to the pocket for the OB. I see it, but, I don't get it.

Could there be a slight cut to the left?

Absolutely straight-on would seem to make to CB come right back at you as the overspin wears off.

...John-since we don't see it on the video-how close to scratching the CB in the bottom right corner?

Great video!

Great shot.

I just don't get it. But if I can get it to come close...I guess I don't need to get it.

I noticed that the OB seemed to come off the rail with a bit of forward roll (away from the rail). You'll see that the second kiss on the CB isn't quite in line with the pocket, but the OB rolls into the line. That's why I was letting the OB roll so far before switching back to real time speed...

I shot all of those with a little top right on the CB, and a slight cut on the OB. I think the CB-right prevents the OB from spinning off the rail too perpendicular, and the CB-top just put that CB in the right place. I don't know, it just worked for me!

Magical looking shot, both in SloMo and when I was watching it live. I can't believe I made it so many times, after first hearing about it here...

SloMoHolic

Verified Member

Mo, I meant for Cliff. I thought you said he might help with your project.
I've never made the shot, you'll wear yourself out trying it. As I said before Cliff makes it. It's something to see.
Rod.P.S. Great job on the ones you've done.

Lol, yeah, I'll leave this one to the pros. Thanks again.

tylerdurden

Verified Member
I was able to execute this shot a few times in front of the slow motion camera. Take a look, and let me know what you think. I used about three tips right, and 3/4 tip top to make these shots.

http://youtu.be/zLNlohPh37I

Thanks for the inspiration!

I swear, if you guys keep challenging me like this, I might just become a 1P monster!

Thanks again, Tyler!

-Blake

Wow. That is amazing! Thanks. I really can't figure it out. It obviously looks like it is going to be headed to the end rail there as far as the contact point is concerned. Obviously, the effects of cutting a ball that is actually in motion come into play. Beautiful angle you chose too. Great stuff!!! I think that is even very education in that it can help you kinda learn how to make it. It was Bill who suggested it, what a great suggestion. I really enjoyed seeing that.

tylerdurden

Verified Member
I had to go try this shot just now.Made it on the first try.I just used center cball.That's a heck of shot. I've seen it before but not setting like that.Guess it works from alot of places;) John B.

What a surprise. You shot a ball, a rail was involved, and it went in on your first try. lol

BarneyCalip

Efren Reyes Point Shot

Efren Reyes Point Shot

one pocket shot where Efren shoots at the center pocket point and cue ball
travels 90 degrees into the pocket.
My buddy Robert suggested it

bstroud

Verified Member
Blake,

Thanks for the info on the skid shot. The object ball actually goes into the air. I see why the Brits call it KICK.

I was watching a video about a bank with the stripe on a ball lined up straight up and down and shot into the rail. Crazy things happen in the rubber.

Bill S.