Need ideas for 1P Shots in SloMo

SloMoHolic

Verified Member
Here is a diagram. This one is not easy to make. It would be great to see Cliff shoot this. It is called "The Jersey red shot" if you want to search for it.

I was able to execute this shot a few times in front of the slow motion camera. Take a look, and let me know what you think. I used about three tips right, and 3/4 tip top to make these shots.

[ame]http://youtu.be/zLNlohPh37I[/ame]

Thanks for the inspiration!

I swear, if you guys keep challenging me like this, I might just become a 1P monster!

Thanks again, Tyler!

-Blake

SloMoHolic

Verified Member
It would be great to see what is happening with some of the headier extraction shots, where the opponent has a ball deep in their pocket. Sometimes they remove balls that I can just not fathom. I believe one extraction depends on the rail compressing and then the OB hits the points multiple times on the way out. Not only would this video be cool to see, but it might really improve understanding. Thanks.

Clyde

You're next, Clyde! I've been practicing my extractions... :)

SloMoHolic

Verified Member
It would be great to see what is happening with some of the headier extraction shots, where the opponent has a ball deep in their pocket. Sometimes they remove balls that I can just not fathom. I believe one extraction depends on the rail compressing and then the OB hits the points multiple times on the way out. Not only would this video be cool to see, but it might really improve understanding. Thanks.

Clyde

This is just a demo, and I'm sure there are so many more extraction techniques I need to learn, but here are some great slow motion videos that should whet your appetite. I'll work on getting some more complicated extraction videos for you. I need them, too!

[ame]http://youtu.be/KYlo5JNRHgE[/ame]

-Blake

onepocket

Administrator
Staff member

Clyde
I was thinking this too -- take out shots.

Another shot I have seen Cliff shoot is when there are two balls spotted up, and he shoots to force the head ball into his pocket while two-railing the back ball. Most people play this starting with the cue ball diagonally opposite from their own pocket (except a little closer to the center of the table), but Cliff also shoots it with the Cue ball starting on the other side of the head spot, something like this (taken from Willi Joplin diagram):

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
This is just a demo, and I'm sure there are so many more extraction techniques I need to learn, but here are some great slow motion videos that should whet your appetite. I'll work on getting some more complicated extraction videos for you. I need them, too!

http://youtu.be/KYlo5JNRHgE

-Blake
Cliff is pretty good at not only taking them out, he is also able to control the cue and object ball pretty well -- I'd like to see a few of those. If you show it at real speed and slo mo we might get a better feel for how hard/soft you are hitting them.

Pretty damn impressive camera work -- thank you!!!!

Island Drive

Verified Member
From
florence, colorado
Here is a diagram. This one is not easy to make. It would be great to see Cliff shoot this. It is called "The Jersey red shot" if you want to search for it.

Thx Tyler for the layout. I remember the pros talking about this shot in the late sixties at Johnson City, was just a kid and it seemed amazing at the time.

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
What a great shot, Dennis! Please watch this video and enjoy. Thanks for the suggestion! -Blake

You captured that CB/OB/rail interaction real well on the double-kiss bank, Blake! I always wondered what happened on those kinds of shots. I'd just assumed that the OB actually contacted the rail twice. But I can see from your slo-mo video that it's only once.

Do you think it's necessary to hit it with outside english? The collision occurs so quickly that it doesn't seem like it would matter what spin is on the CB.

And those extraction shots-- you gotta send those to Dr. Dave. Pretty impressive!

I agree with Steve. It would be nice to see the various shots first at regular speed, then slo-mo subsequently.

Great work, bro! Doc

onepocket926

Verified Member
From
Anderson, CA
Here you go. I shot a few breaks and made a ball a couple of times. Camera positioned right next to the rack. Let me know if you want a different camera angle...

1P break, make-on-break:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=reUJEteoPOk

What do y'all think? I thought that when I made a ball in the break, it meant I missed the head ball, but I definitely skinned the head ball first on this break.

I ended up with a nice layout to run 5 or 6 more (or out, maybe).

-Blake

...great photography......

.......that's what I call....."pocket speed".....:lol

............even though it was a video on breaks.........it will also allow a 65 year old know-it-all ....to illustrate...pocket speed vs table speed .....to a 28 yr old know-it-all.......:frus.....

......gonna make him watch this video......:D

...very nice break by the way......so when we match-up...I'll know your break is worth 5 balls...not the standard ball and a half....;)..

...great job....

Island Drive

Verified Member
From
florence, colorado
You captured that CB/OB/rail interaction real well on the double-kiss bank, Blake! I always wondered what happened on those kinds of shots. I'd just assumed that the OB actually contacted the rail twice. But I can see from your slo-mo video that it's only once.

Do you think it's necessary to hit it with outside english? The collision occurs so quickly that it doesn't seem like it would matter what spin is on the CB.

And those extraction shots-- you gotta send those to Dr. Dave. Pretty impressive!

I agree with Steve. It would be nice to see the various shots first at regular speed, then slo-mo subsequently.

Great work, bro! Doc

Now that you mentioned....outside English, that kinda makes sense w/o trying it, because your probably gonna hit the obj. ball fat also, whitey could easily come two mini rails outta the corner.

bernie p

Verified Member
Blake,

Fantastic work.

I would love to see a top, birds eye view of the initial break shot showing examples of the corner ball "leaking" out over your opponents pocket.

Given that it sometimes happens with great regularity, and other times not at all, I'd be very interested to perhaps capture the ball gap sequence that spits out the corner ball.

Thanks

Bernie Pettipiece.

John Brumback

Verified Member
SMH,

I'd love to see this double-kiss shot in slo-mo. Object ball is frozen to rail and cueball is straight across from it.

Thanks.

Dennis

View attachment 8291

I had to go try this shot just now.Made it on the first try.I just used center cball.That's a heck of shot. I've seen it before but not setting like that.Guess it works from alot of places;) John B.

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
I had to go try this shot just now.Made it on the first try.I just used center cball.That's a heck of shot. I've seen it before but not setting like that.Guess it works from alot of places;) John B.

Dear CatFishBreath,

You guess? You can't guess, you have to know:). I know.

P.S. Please do show us some other double-kisses:p.

RBL

3RAILKICK

Verified Member
Very cool video

Very cool video

I watched it several times, and will again, several times.

Slo-Mo - thanks a lot for this view of what's going on in that clack-clack collision.

I notice that the OB on the rail rolls pretty naturally after the double kiss toward the pocket..it doesn't look like it picked up much if any collision spin.

Maybe someone who knows could respond...could it be that the OB is 'stunned' to rail and comes back off 'dead'?

The CB looks like it has top and a little right on it. It rebounds a bit, then holds position trying to get traction, and gets hit again, creating a new tangent line to the pocket for the OB. I see it, but, I don't get it.

Could there be a slight cut to the left?

Absolutely straight-on would seem to make to CB come right back at you as the overspin wears off.

...John-since we don't see it on the video-how close to scratching the CB in the bottom right corner?

Great video!

Great shot.

I just don't get it. But if I can get it to come close...I guess I don't need to get it.

Island Drive

Verified Member
From
florence, colorado
Just try and overcut the ball with center ball, it'll happen, you may not make it, but you'll start to feel it. Remember cut the obj. ball too thin.

Last edited:

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan

...John-since we don't see it on the video-how close to scratching the CB in the bottom right corner?

You see what you get for being a star CatFishBreath? I post a shot I've been shooting for 30 years and he asks you where the cueball is going, even though you say you've never seen it "setting like that":p. Gotta love it:D.

RBL

3RAILKICK

Verified Member
You see what you get for being a star CatFishBreath? I post a shot I've been shooting for 30 years and he asks you where the cueball is going, even though you say you've never seen it "setting like that":p. Gotta love it:D.

RBL

Cowboy-

No disrespect intended.

How close to scratching is cueball path after the doble kiss?

Is there a slight cut involved?

Speed?....medium?

Very cool shot you've been shooting for a long time...thanks for suggesting the shot to Slo-Mo, and to John for reporting back.

Wacky shots like this may not be all that wacky when repeatable.:D

I apologize for not giving ample credit in my first response to the video.

Very cool shot.

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
Cowboy-

No disrespect intended.

How close to scratching is cueball path after the doble kiss?

Is there a slight cut involved?

Speed?....medium?

Very cool shot you've been shooting for a long time...thanks for suggesting the shot to Slo-Mo, and to John for reporting back.

Wacky shots like this may not be all that wacky when repeatable.:D

I apologize for not giving ample credit in my first response to the video.

Very cool shot.

3RK,

No offense taken here:), just taking an opportunity to tease John a little, that's all:p. My mistake for suggesting otherwise:sorry.

With a normal, medium speed the cueball will go right at the corner pocket on the same side as the object ball. If it ever came up in a game you would prefer an object ball to be blocking that corner to avoid the scratch.

If the shot is set up as it was in my diagram then there is a slight cut involved. I've shot variations of this shot in games but never this exact shot. There are many double-kiss posssibilites, including when the object ball is off the rail slightly.

P.S. The weight of the cueball also makes a difference as to where it ends up. A lighter cueball will bounce back more before the follow takes effect.

Dennis