Need ideas for 1P Shots in SloMo

SloMoHolic

Verified Member
Due to being clubbed like a baby seal a few times, I have earned promises from a few decent one pocket players (like Cliff Joyner, for example) to capture a few key 1P shots in slow motion. As always, I will be sharing these with my forum buddies at no cost.

So, when I get some table time with these folks, are there particular shots you'd like to see in slow motion video?

Three rail soft kicks resulting in a foul will not be considered. :)

Long twist-back banks a la Cole Dickson are more what I had in mind.

I'm thinking of shots like hard-spinning a frozen ball off the center of the footrail diamond back into your pocket. Stuff like that.

Disclaimer: I realize that some of the shots that will look best in SloMo would be some of the most ridiculous shots to attempt in an actual game.

Thanks for your ideas.

-Blake

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
Due to being clubbed like a baby seal a few times, I have earned promises from a few decent one pocket players (like Cliff Joyner, for example) to capture a few key 1P shots in slow motion. As always, I will be sharing these with my forum buddies at no cost.

So, when I get some table time with these folks, are there particular shots you'd like to see in slow motion video?

Three rail soft kicks resulting in a foul will not be considered. :)

Long twist-back banks a la Cole Dickson are more what I had in mind.

I'm thinking of shots like hard-spinning a frozen ball off the center of the footrail diamond back into your pocket. Stuff like that.

Disclaimer: I realize that some of the shots that will look best in SloMo would be some of the most ridiculous shots to attempt in an actual game.

Thanks for your ideas.

-Blake
I'd like to see the opening break when someone makes a ball on the break -- especially in tight where the cue ball contacts the rack.

SloMoHolic

Verified Member

Here you go. I shot a few breaks and made a ball a couple of times. Camera positioned right next to the rack. Let me know if you want a different camera angle...

1P break, make-on-break:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=reUJEteoPOk[/ame]

What do y'all think? I thought that when I made a ball in the break, it meant I missed the head ball, but I definitely skinned the head ball first on this break.

I ended up with a nice layout to run 5 or 6 more (or out, maybe).

-Blake

sappo

Verified Member
From
Tucson AZ
Great shot

Great shot

Blake, great slo-mo. I look forward to see your upcoming shots. Keith

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
SMH,

I'd love to see this double-kiss shot in slo-mo. Object ball is frozen to rail and cueball is straight across from it.

Thanks.

Dennis

double-kiss.jpg

SloMoHolic

Verified Member

SMH,

I'd love to see this double-kiss shot in slo-mo. Object ball is frozen to rail and cueball is straight across from it.

Thanks.

Dennis

View attachment 8291

Holy crap! I thought you were kidding. But I made that shot a few times!!!

Incredible. 240 frames/second doesn't do it justice, so I will shoot it a few more times at 420 fps and maybe 1000 fps.

Still shaking my head. I MADE that shot like 6 out of ten tries!!!! I used 1/2 tip up and 1 tip right. Another 2 tries got close and left the ball in the jaws.

THAT is what I'm talking about!

Dennis, you are insane and beautiful for suggesting that shot. My videos are on the way...

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
Blake-- Nice slo-mo work! You must be a fan of Dr. Dave's at Colorado U.

It would be interesting to see the CB/OB interaction on a cut-back bank --loosely similar to the layout in Rod's thread, "How would you shoot this?". I don't know if it would show the differences between using inside, outside, or center CB. You could focus on the balls as they come into contact, rather than viewing the entire shot.

I can see that it takes a high intensity light to get slo-mo footage!

Doc

SloMoHolic

Verified Member

I'm a HUGE fan of Dr. Dave, for sure!!!

Wait till you see Cowboy Dennis' shot request. This is crazy in SloMo!! Strangely reliable.

But I have to say...

C'mon folks, ask for the shots that you want to see Cliff perform! He will do them for the slow motion camera. We have an agreement. :)

Shots that even I can perform sometimes teach us something (Great request, Dennis!), but lets hear about those wild shots that none of us can pull off!!!

Look, I have an opportunity to capture some of Cliff's best shots in slow motion. I'm sure he will volunteer a couple of them, but HERE is your chance to make a specific request, if you have one (and I know you do).

Keep them coming, ladies and gentlemen.

:)

-Blake

SloMoHolic

Verified Member

It would be interesting to see the CB/OB interaction on a cut-back bank --loosely similar to the layout in Rod's thread, "How would you shoot this?". I don't know if it would show the differences between using inside, outside, or center CB. You could focus on the balls as they come into contact, rather than viewing the entire shot.

Now, that's what I'm talking about! I've studied that thread, and still can't shoot most of those shots successfully. I'll be happy to capture the "exchange" as the CB passes by the OB, but I'm not able to perform that feat yet. I'll see if I can grab some slow motion videos of players escaping that situation.

(But you better be sure that I'm working on it myself!!!)

Hey Doc, are there any other kinda wild shots you'd like to see in slow motion? Set em up; let us knock em down...

-Blake

tylerdurden

Verified Member
You could get facial expressions instead. Title them stuff like "slo mo of opponent's face when 9 ball made on break hill hill".

I don't have any suggestions... I did actually always wanna see a kick in slo mo, from a wide angle, a firm kick. i always wanted to see how far the balls presses into the rubber, and at what point the angle tends to correct itself. it seems like when you are kicking a ball that is close to the rail, the cb wants to stay deep, embedded in the cushion on wide angles up to a certain point.

SloMoHolic

Verified Member

You could get facial expressions instead. Title them stuff like "slo mo of opponent's face when 9 ball made on break hill hill".

I don't have any suggestions... I did actually always wanna see a kick in slo mo, from a wide angle, a firm kick. i always wanted to see how far the balls presses into the rubber, and at what point the angle tends to correct itself. it seems like when you are kicking a ball that is close to the rail, the cb wants to stay deep, embedded in the cushion on wide angles up to a certain point.

I have some good stuff on the way. In the clips I shot tonight, you can see the rail compress and release.

In the meantime, how's this for expression? This is what Jose Parica thinks of ol' Cliff.

EDIT: This was hill-hill...

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1368806026.165530.jpg

:)

-Blake

bstroud

Verified Member
I think one of the most important shots in slow-mo would be when an object ball skids. These always drive me crazy and seem to happen all the time on Simmoinis cloth.

Another simple but interesting shot would be a simple cue shot with no English and with a little outside English. Looking for throw on the object ball or not.

Bill S.

Cloidius

Verified Member
moSlo

moSlo

It would be great to see what is happening with some of the headier extraction shots, where the opponent has a ball deep in their pocket. Sometimes they remove balls that I can just not fathom. I believe one extraction depends on the rail compressing and then the OB hits the points multiple times on the way out. Not only would this video be cool to see, but it might really improve understanding. Thanks.

Clyde

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
I've seen Cliff make this one. it might be interesting. :)
Rod.
P.S. He made on tall Jeff Sparks and retired him from his comeback. :D

Attachments

• cliff.jpg
    cliff.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 0

Island Drive

Verified Member
From
florence, colorado
How about the Red Raider kick shot? Where the obj. ball is on the foot rail and the cue ball sits off the same rail about a ball out. thin cut and kick it in you hole back under ya.

SloMoHolic

Verified Member

How about the Red Raider kick shot? Where the obj. ball is on the foot rail and the cue ball sits off the same rail about a ball out. thin cut and kick it in you hole back under ya.

Sounds interesting. Can you show me what this shot looks like? I'd like to try it.

tylerdurden

Verified Member
Here is a diagram. This one is not easy to make. It would be great to see Cliff shoot this. It is called "The Jersey red shot" if you want to search for it.

SloMoHolic

Verified Member

Here is a diagram. This one is not easy to make. It would be great to see Cliff shoot this. It is called "The Jersey red shot" if you want to search for it.

Thanks! I'll give it a shot, but this one might need to wait for Cliff. :)