Name your favorite tournaments

BRLongArm

Verified Member
Of the below tournaments, which one do you look forward to watching most? Not talking about competing, I'm talking about watching the tournament.

1. Derby City Classic
2. Scotty Townsend Memorial
3. Buffalos Pro Classic
4. Big Tyme Classic
5. Big Dog Classic
6. US Open
7. West Coast Challenge

OldSchool

Verified Member
For playing in, attending, and watching all the streaming videos > The DCC, by a country mile.

As for back in the day: Johnston City, Grady's Legend's of One Pocket, and the annual World's 14.1 Tournament (I can still remember seeing the teenage young gun Jeanie Balukas shocking/beating the great ladies champ Dorothy Wise).

BRLongArm

Verified Member
For playing in, attending, and watching all the streaming videos > The DCC, by a country mile.

As for back in the day: Johnston City, Grady's Legend's of One Pocket, and the annual World's 14.1 Tournament (I can still remember seeing the teenage young gun Jeanie Balukas shocking/beating the great ladies champ Dorothy Wise).
Have you been to the other tournaments?

Jeff sparks

Verified Member
From
Houston, Texas
DCC
One pocket matches because they have a shot clock and pick premier
match-ups for the stream table...
no interest in 9 or 10 ball, straights, or tournament banks...
Like the action room sometimes, depending on who’s playing what...
I like one pocket games and find the ring bank game action interesting to watch...

Billy Jackets

Verified Member
DCC
I also went to a US Open Nine Ball tournament, and I recommend everyone who really loves pool, go to at least one.
I just realized I have never been to any of the others ,so go to those also, it's pool , that's what you like !

Island Drive

Verified Member
From
florence, colorado
Of those, the US Open 9 ball event, the longest running event in US history.
Where legends are made, careers and HOF memebers are created.
A world wide event with now, over 45 countries attending.
The Majors in Golf have no where near this diversity of competition.
And the best all around player on the planet in the past 100 yrs is from an island.

Last edited:

catkins

Verified Member
From
boulder creek ca
Buffalos Pro Classic is my favorite to watch, I used to enjoy the us open but between moving it to griffs and also having it up against Buffalos Pro Classic have fount it super meh last few years

Reactions: lll

dmcparland

Interesting question BRLongArm.

I take your question to mean watching from a one pocket standpoint, but as I was pondering your question I kept going back to the Mosconi Cup. Even though 9ball is my least favorite game, purely from a viewer standpoint nothing else comes close to the Mosconi Cup for me.

I haven't had the opportunity to go in person to very many big tournaments so I am just thinking about it from watching the tourney on a stream.

BRLongArm

Verified Member
The production of the Mosconi Cup is excellent. It's good to watch when it's competitive, but I think with Lely on as Europe's coach, we'll be in the dark for a while. Gorst, Filler and Shaw are a strong trio to overcome with good coaching.

BRLongArm

Verified Member
Hopefully, Griff's won't try to counterprogram Buffalo's anymore. It's hard enough for these players to make a living without having to choose which one pocket event they'll play.

catkins

Verified Member
From
boulder creek ca
The production of the Mosconi Cup is excellent. It's good to watch when it's competitive, but I think with Lely on as Europe's coach, we'll be in the dark for a while. Gorst, Filler and Shaw are a strong trio to overcome with good coaching.
kaci anint no slouch either

dmcparland

Yes, the production value may be one of, if not, the best when it comes to pool tourneys. I feel another factor is that the fans can "interact" and are much more "involved" than in any other tourney. Add in the rivalry between EU and US and you got something!

I agree we may be in dark for quite a while with how good some of the EU youngsters are. Gorst and Kristina Tkach were at Hardtimes a few weeks back and watching Gorst play was amazing. Machine like was what kept popping in my mind. Every shot he looked the exact same while getting down, practice strokes, and then shooting....and he may not yet even be the best of the three you mentioned!

catkins

Verified Member
From
boulder creek ca
I super respect gorsts game and as young and as humble as he is. Not to mention how quickly his game escalated in onepocket. I think he is an extremely rare talent and is on of those people who has no limit to how good he can become if he keeps it up.

catkins

Verified Member
From
boulder creek ca
He looked like he cracked under the pressure this year. No doubt his skill, but they can all play. What can they do under the lights? That's the discriminator.
on the other hand he has alex's number and keeps beating him so interesting how differently Moscone vrs normal tourney and gambling nerves are.

dmcparland

I super respect gorsts game and as young and as humble as he is. Not to mention how quickly his game escalated in onepocket. I think he is an extremely rare talent and is on of those people who has no limit to how good he can become if he keeps it up.

I wholeheartedly agree! Great point about how humble he his. To me that is just as important and impressive as his skills on the pool table.

J.R.

Verified Member
From
Chicago, Illinois
My pick is "The Derby City Classic" with its three disciplines (banks, one pocket and nine ball) along with its many side-shows like the Action Room, the straight pool challenge (now defunct), the Ten Ball on the 10 foot table with 16 of the World's best players competing, and the daily non-stop gambling action. Although I never attended any of the other tournaments on the list, it's hard to imagine that any of them can be as good or better than the DCC for a spectator.