Mythbusters? Efren's solution.

onepocketchump

Verified Member
mosconiac said:
Now that we've kinda cleared up that folk story about Efren...how's about this one.

Efren is locked behind the only ball on the table so he masse's off the edge of the ball & plops his opponent right behind the same ball. He turned the table on him. Can anyone corroborate this?

[CUETABLE]http://CueTable.com/P/?@4AAOk3PCbl4UAOk4UBdl3kCbl3kCSa3kAvL4kBEI4kCSL4kDAT4kDxe4kEOm3qbKNEfren's&Hole&&ZZ4rWbPOpponent's&Hole&ZZ@[/CUETABLE]

I have seen Ismael "Morro" Paez do it. Since Efren has some billiards background I find that this shot is plausible from him.

Artie Bodendorfer

Verified Member
onepocketchump said:
I have seen Ismael "Morro" Paez do it. Since Efren has some billiards background I find that this shot is plausible from him.

THe correct shot in this spot is hitting the one ball thin and leaving your opponent on the first dimond on the end rail. And barrly move the one ball. And youre opponent will be in a tough spot.

And you figure too get a shot from that position. That is the cooect shot. Not the Macy shot too the other side off the one ball. Were you put your opponent in a position were he can do exacly what I said too you.

But the macy shot is worth learning because in other situations you mite have to shot it. And the more things you no and can do the better it is for you.

But I dont think too many owners that own pool rooms would be too fond off you shooting macyshoots on there table. And years ago the had sighs up no macy shots and no jump shots. But itsa good shot too learn.

Frank Almanza

Verified Member
From
Upland, California
mosconiac said:
Now that we've kinda cleared up that folk story about Efren...how's about this one.

Efren is locked behind the only ball on the table so he masse's off the edge of the ball & plops his opponent right behind the same ball. He turned the table on him. Can anyone corroborate this?

[CUETABLE]http://CueTable.com/P/?@4AAOk3PCbl4UAOk4UBdl3kCbl3kCSa3kAvL4kBEI4kCSL4kDAT4kDxe4kEOm3qbKNEfren's&Hole&&ZZ4rWbPOpponent's&Hole&ZZ@[/CUETABLE]
I remember seeing Efren do this against a well know player who's name escapes me right now. He was tall, wavy gray hair, and wore a jogging suit. The name will come to me later I'm sure. Someone that most of you would recognize once I remember his name. I'll edit this when his name comes to me.

It was at the Hard Times in LA. about 10 to 15 years ago. Efren, if I recall correctly was giving up something like 10/5 for 3 or 5K. Don't remember what the race was to. Efren won easy. However when he did this there were a few other balls on the table and on his side but not pocket-able from when the cue ball lay-ed.

This shot would make no sense if there was only one ball on the table.

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
Artie Bodendorfer And years ago they had signs up no mace shots and no jump shots. But its a good shot too learn.[/QUOTE said:
artie i bet in those same rooms they had signs that said
NO GAMBLING :eek: :D :rolleyes:

onepocketchump

Verified Member
Artie Bodendorfer said:
THe correct shot in this spot is hitting the one ball thin and leaving your opponent on the first dimond on the end rail. And barrly move the one ball. And youre opponent will be in a tough spot.

And you figure too get a shot from that position. That is the cooect shot. Not the Macy shot too the other side off the one ball. Were you put your opponent in a position were he can do exacly what I said too you.

But the macy shot is worth learning because in other situations you mite have to shot it. And the more things you no and can do the better it is for you.

But I dont think too many owners that own pool rooms would be too fond off you shooting macyshoots on there table. And years ago the had sighs up no macy shots and no jump shots. But itsa good shot too learn.

When I saw Morro do it we were in Taiwan at the World Championships and ended up at a local pool room where some of the players were practicing. Morro started showing off some little touch masse' shots like this and the best part of was that he seemed to barely hit the cue ball. The cue would sort of walk around the object ball if that makes sense. Both balls would move just a tiny bit forward and then the cueball would just go around the object ball like the balls were glued together.

Frank Almanza

Verified Member
From
Upland, California
Frank Almanza said:
I remember seeing Efren do this against a well know player who's name escapes me right now. He was tall, wavy gray hair, and wore a jogging suit. The name will come to me later I'm sure. Someone that most of you would recognize once I remember his name. I'll edit this when his name comes to me.

It was at the Hard Times in LA. about 10 to 15 years ago. Efren, if I recall correctly was giving up something like 10/5 for 3 or 5K. Don't remember what the race was to. Efren won easy. However when he did this there were a few other balls on the table and on his side but not pocket-able from when the cue ball lay-ed.

This shot would make no sense if there was only one ball on the table.
It came to me....Jack Perkins

Artie Bodendorfer

Verified Member
lll said:
artie i bet in those same rooms they had signs that said
NO GAMBLING :eek: :D :rolleyes:

Yes thats why tere not around no more.They even had spitunes in the pool rooms and beeds and buzzers for sevice.

Even a check room like in a classy restaurant.

And people wore suits .I dont remember too many joging suits. And the gils has dresses.

And men would hold open the doors for them. And even the car doors.

THe even shook hands like normal people. They didnt have too put on a show how cool they were.

And President Reggan said smoking was good for you. And a lot off people died from TB. And Polio was also real bad.

THe bleachers at wrigly field cod=st 75 cents. And the students use too listen too thier teachers and parents. But now days thier too cool and no more then thier parents.

THier respect and were they came from all got washed away. Todays generation has too think thier cool.

Thier real cool but they dont have a job or two crackers too rub together. BUt thuer cool but they dont have anything going for themselves.

BUt thier cool. If you dont belive me ask them. The truth is the whole country is out off control. And the light at the end off the tunnle is getting dimmer.

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
onepocketchump said:
When I saw Morro do it we were in Taiwan at the World Championships and ended up at a local pool room where some of the players were practicing. Morro started showing off some little touch masse' shots like this and the best part of was that he seemed to barely hit the cue ball. The cue would sort of walk around the object ball if that makes sense. Both balls would move just a tiny bit forward and then the cueball would just go around the object ball like the balls were glued together.
Morro pulled that on me in a 9-ball match in Reno. I had him dead locked up in a safety-- similar to the Wei picture at the start of this thread. Morro didn't hesitate. He just jacked up and did a perfect semi-circle masse around the blocker to hit the ball he needed to, not even with a hard stroke. I asked him after the match what kind of tip he used. He said it was a medium Moori. I immediately had one put on my cue, but for some reason I couldn't get the same action as did Morro...:D

Doc

jrhendy

Verified Member
From
Placerville, CA
gulfportdoc said:
Morro pulled that on me in a 9-ball match in Reno. I had him dead locked up in a safety-- similar to the Wei picture at the start of this thread. Morro didn't hesitate. He just jacked up and did a perfect semi-circle masse around the blocker to hit the ball he needed to, not even with a hard stroke. I asked him after the match what kind of tip he used. He said it was a medium Moori. I immediately had one put on my cue, but for some reason I couldn't get the same action as did Morro...:D

Doc

Morro has been shooting masse shots on players since he came here in the early 70's. I'll bet if you hit it a couple thousand times, like he has, you would get it down. He does exhibitions that consist of quite few masse shots.

He is a very high energy guy and we used to gamble quite a bit around Los Angeles from the 70's through the 90's. He never could sit still and would walk around the table quite a bit but stop when you were shooting.

We were playing $50 9 ball at the Golden Cue outside Los Angeles one time and he was robbing me. We are both very animated players and everything was going his way and he was robbing me, running out, making 9's on the break, lucking balls in and just torturing me. He would miss and slop a game winning ball in and yell "Mexican Shot, Mexican Shot".

I blew $500 and was busted, but I was hot and borrowed $500 from Dado, the Filipino. Now I knew Dado would get a nice jelly roll from Morro for giving me more $$ to blow but didn't care. My nose was open and I was ready to go off more. I jacked it to $100 a game and everything changed my way. A couple nines on the break, put a few racks together, slop in a ball when I missed and I went from $500 loser to $1,300 winner before his stake horse, Emilio, pulled up.

Now, smart ass that I am, when I knew it was almost over and they were close to pulling up, I told Morro, "if I start running out too fast and you don't have time to get over and stand in front of my shot, let me know and I will slow down".

I went next door to the Silver Mug to celebrate and got sh** faced and the next day Pepe came in and beat me for $1,200 playing one pocket.

I am sure Emilio was staking Pepe too. It was hard to get the $$ and keep it from those guys.

mosconiac

Verified Member
jrhendy said:
Now, smart ass that I am, when I knew it was almost over and they were close to pulling up, I told Morro, "if I start running out too fast and you don't have time to get over and stand in front of my shot, let me know and I will slow down".
That was a true LOL moment! Thanks for the laugh!

Artie Bodendorfer

Verified Member
jrhendy said:
Morro has been shooting masse shots on players since he came here in the early 70's. I'll bet if you hit it a couple thousand times, like he has, you would get it down. He does exhibitions that consist of quite few masse shots.

He is a very high energy guy and we used to gamble quite a bit around Los Angeles from the 70's through the 90's. He never could sit still and would walk around the table quite a bit but stop when you were shooting.

We were playing $50 9 ball at the Golden Cue outside Los Angeles one time and he was robbing me. We are both very animated players and everything was going his way and he was robbing me, running out, making 9's on the break, lucking balls in and just torturing me. He would miss and slop a game winning ball in and yell "Mexican Shot, Mexican Shot".

I blew $500 and was busted, but I was hot and borrowed $500 from Dado, the Filipino. Now I knew Dado would get a nice jelly roll from Morro for giving me more $$ to blow but didn't care. My nose was open and I was ready to go off more. I jacked it to $100 a game and everything changed my way. A couple nines on the break, put a few racks together, slop in a ball when I missed and I went from $500 loser to $1,300 winner before his stake horse, Emilio, pulled up.

I went next door to the Silver Mug to celebrate and got sh** faced and the next day Pepe came in and beat me for $1,200 playing one pocket.

I am sure Emilio was staking Pepe too. It was hard to get the $$ and keep it from those guys.

Morro And Morralare the the same two guess the age fram seems about the same.. He hung around the la click. Sergio Enesto and a few more the use too go to Milwakie and play in the miller light eight ball tournement.

And latter on young Sergio came along he played great one handed. He could have been the best one handed player in the country at that time.

I just wondered if Morro was the same player as Morral. As I remember he shot dice too. Real nice guy wuth a lot off gamble.

Artie Bodendorfer

Verified Member
Artie Bodendorfer said:
Yes thats why tere not around no more.They even had spitunes in the pool rooms and beeds and buzzers for sevice.

Even a check room like in a classy restaurant.

And people wore suits .I dont remember too many joging suits. And the gils has dresses.

And men would hold open the doors for them. And even the car doors.

THe even shook hands like normal people. They didnt have too put on a show how cool they were.

And President Reggan said smoking was good for you. And a lot off people died from TB. And Polio was also real bad.

THe bleachers at wrigly field cod=st 75 cents. And the students use too listen too thier teachers and parents. But now days thier too cool and no more then thier parents.

THier respect and were they came from all got washed away. Todays generation has too think thier cool.

Thier real cool but they dont have a job or two crackers too rub together. BUt thuer cool but they dont have anything going for themselves.

BUt thier cool. If you dont belive me ask them. The truth is the whole country is out off control. And the light at the end off the tunnle is getting dimmer.[/QUOTE

THey still have those because gambling at pool is not legele not even in NV.

jrhendy

Verified Member
From
Placerville, CA
Artie Bodendorfer said:
Morro And Morralare the the same two guess the age fram seems about the same.. He hung around the la click. Sergio Enesto and a few more the use too go to Milwakie and play in the miller light eight ball tournement.

And latter on young Sergio came along he played great one handed. He could have been the best one handed player in the country at that time.

I just wondered if Morro was the same player as Morral. As I remember he shot dice too. Real nice guy wuth a lot off gamble.

Probably the same guy Artie. He won 100k plus once at one of the LA card rooms and we played $50 a point liability snooker on the 6 x 12 at Hard Times in Bellflower for weeks. I did pretty good in those games because I played on that trick table for years. Kim Davenport was the big winner. Then Parica showed up and got all the $$.

Denny Searcy was the only player that might have played better on that table than Parica. Grady wasn't too shabby either. I believe he was around Bellflower when Verne Peterson rebuilt that table to play golf on.

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
mosconiac said:

I just saw this post. Yes, I saw Efren do this successfully at Derby City a few years back. I do not remember who he was playing. It was not on the TV table.

The 1-ball was not the only ball on the table however. I doubt he would have done it if it was the only ball -- too many other options. The situation was more like this, with both Efren and his opponent having at least one ball near their pocket, but not cut-able from the foot of the table. So Efren did masse around the ball he was hooked against, just as pretty as could be. His opponent sold out trying to do something similar.

[CUETABLE]http://CueTable.com/P/?@4AAOk3BXXM4CYFI3PCbl4UAOk4UBdl3kCbl3kCSa3kAvL4kBEI4kCSL4kDAT4kDxe4kEOm3qbKNEfrens&Hole&&ZZ4rSjdOpponents&Hole&ZZ@[/CUETABLE]

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
shots like these we should genuflex a thousand times
because 99.75% OF POOL PLAYERS CANT DO THAT:mad: :)
ALL THOSE HOURS OF PRACTICE (and god given ability) let them do that
we mortals can only tell them howmuch we understand what a difficult shot it was

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
lll said:
we mortals can only tell them howmuch we understand what a difficult shot it was
I agree -- but he made it look so easy :D :D

Cary

Verified Member
From
Bertram, Texas
lll said:

That particular shot is 100% practice and the "God given ability" is the determination to practice that long. This from a guy who has less God given talent than Effren has in his little finger.