my new cue

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
I been having a bit of a time adjusting to this shaft, it's one of the hollow ones (hd/ld/whatever).

It seems to take a good bit of the collision induced English out of the hit.
I'm having to relearn some banks, others are fine.
I now understand why when some people asked me how to make certain banks, I'd show them and they still couldn't make them. They were using the kind of shafts I now have. LOL

All the aiming is a little different with less/no deflection.
I've learned to turn down some shots that were fairly easy with the old cue.
I'll learn to play with this, since I sold/nearly gave away, all my other cues when I bought this one.

I've noticed speed of the hit is very important and a tad to hard English refuses to take.

It's an adjustment after 60 years of playing with the other kind.
Any tips would be helpful, although I've played well with the cue, sometimes I'll have a senior moment and fall back on muscle memory,
that's a no no.

crabbcatjohn

Verified Member
From
Benton, Ky.
I been having a bit of a time adjusting to this shaft, it's one of the hollow ones (hd/ld/whatever).

I'm having to relearn some banks, others are fine.
I now understand why when some people asked me how to make certain banks, I'd show them and they still couldn't make them. They were using the kind of shafts I now have. LOL

All the aiming is a little different with less/no deflection.
I've learned to turn down some shots that were fairly easy with the old cue.
I'll learn to play with this, since I sold/nearly gave away, all my other cues when I bought this one.

I've noticed speed of the hit is very important and a tad to hard English refuses to take.

It's an adjustment after 60 years of playing with the other kind.
Any tips would be helpful, although I've played well with the cue, sometimes I'll have a senior moment and fall back on muscle memory,
that's a no no

Me too, i got a low deflection shaft for the first time and it took me a while to adjust.
I was watching a baseball game the other day and one of the retired pro players who was broadcasting said anytime you change your mechanics it takes 21 days for your muscle memory to adjust. I'd never heard that before and found it interesting. I would assume if true it will take a while for your shot lines to adjust.

Patrick Johnson

Verified Member

If you're talking about the English induced by collisions between the CB and OB, I don't think there's any way your shaft can affect that.

I noticed speed of the hit is very important and a tad to hard English refuses to take.
Not sure what "take" means here, but again, your shaft should have nothing to do with it.

Just eliminating the impossible to help find the truth...

pj
chgo

jrhendy

Verified Member
From
Placerville, CA
I have tried most of them and always went back to the shaft that the cuemaker made with the cue. Then I got a Mezz with their WX 700 shaft. Very little deflection and it feels (To me) like a sold maple shaft.

Island Drive

Verified Member
From
florence, colorado
I have tried most of them and always went back to the shaft that the cuemaker made with the cue. Then I got a Mezz with their WX 700 shaft. Very little deflection and it feels (To me) like a sold maple shaft.

I tried em, went back to good wood, good grain and ivory ferrules. What I found out with non-ivory (on a nearly new maple shaft of top quality) is my touch/draw shots of 4-10 inches were very difficult to execute consistently, I was unable to ''feel'' the shot and create good muscle memory Quickly. The density of ivory (as compared to non ivory) is it allows the hit at slower speeds to have a more natural action/reaction, much like when to balls collide. The quicker ''snap back'' and control and feel of the cue ball on those touch shots, is nice ta have back.

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
If you're talking about the English induced by collisions between the CB and OB, I don't think there's any way your shaft can affect that.

I noticed speed of the hit is very important and a tad to hardinsert comma English refuses to take.

Not sure what "take" means here, but again, your shaft should have nothing to do with it.

Just eliminating the impossible to help find the truth...

pj
chgo

Thanks for the reply, I guess I've finally lost my mind. :frus

You don't know what take means when referring to English ? :)

Patrick Johnson

Verified Member
You don't know what take means when referring to English ? :)
To me "refuses to take" could mean either "doesn't spin the CB as much" or "the same amount of spin doesn't change the angle of rebound as much."

Neither could be due to the shaft.

pj
chgo

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
rod
i am sorry i dont have a lot of suggestions to help you out except to say as you play with the shaft your brain will start to recalibrate to adapt to the new caracteristics
i am curious what cue did you buy and why NOW did you feel that you needed a new cue??

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
rod
i am sorry i dont have a lot of suggestions to help you out except to say as you play with the shaft your brain will start to recalibrate to adapt to the new caracteristics
i am curious what cue did you buy and why NOW did you feel that you needed a new cue??

If not now when? not a lot of time left.

I had been playing with a middle extension, my friend made a cue 60 in.'s,
I hit some balls with it, liked it, bought it. figured I'd have trouble so I got rid of others.
P.S If I'd've asked Patrick and found they were all the same I'd kept the others.

Scrzbill

Verified Member
From
Eagles Rest, Wa
I have tried the low deflection cues and the hollow shafts. What I found was you have to use a lot of center ball. The amount of spin that is put on the cue ball is greater the farther out you go, so the spot you use to use for a draw for instance, is a little higher than previously used. As someone who used a regular hit cue, it was difficult to get use to the new hit. The biggest problem comes from where you need to make a shot and your brain says, no, that's not it. :eek:

Patrick Johnson

Verified Member
I have tried the low deflection cues and the hollow shafts. What I found was you have to use a lot of center ball. The amount of spin that is put on the cue ball is greater the farther out you go, so the spot you use to use for a draw for instance, is a little higher than previously used. As someone who used a regular hit cue, it was difficult to get use to the new hit. The biggest problem comes from where you need to make a shot and your brain says, no, that's not it. :eek:
Sorry to be the fact checker here, but how much spin you get is almost purely determined by how far from center you hit - the shaft has pretty much nothing to do with it.

pj <- that guy
chgo

unoperro

Verified Member
I wish there was a real way to prove/disprove what Rod is talking about.
I had the same experiance playing with OB shafts. I could very accurately make shots,cue ball path wasn't the same. Couldnt twist bank balls worth a damn.Went back to maple. Now I use McD Gcore and am satisfied.

Mkbtank

Verified Member
From
Philly Pa
my new cue

I had the same experiance playing with OB shafts. I could very accurately make shots,cue ball path wasn't the same. Couldnt twist bank balls worth a damn.Went back to maple. Now I use McD Gcore and am satisfied.

I agree as well. Found the same thing. Esp the speed thing. I kept mine (ferrulless black boar shaft) and worked through it and love it now. It does seem the softer I hit a shot the more spin I get.

chicagomike

Verified Member
Good ol' maple for me...I've tried the low deflection stuff and give up on it before maybe I really give it a chance. Time=money.

Patrick Johnson

Verified Member
It can be done easily enough just by using a marked CB and checking how far off center you actually hit it each time. Most (including me, usually) don't have the patience for it.

From all accounts whatever you guys believe is working just fine for you.

pj
chgo

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
I switched about 10 or so years ago, and it was a tough transition, but good in the end. I'm impressed that you would take on a swithc like this at your age Rod :)

I do think it was easier to get english with the standard shafts but I don't have a scientific basis for that. I think so much of pool is feel, that what is most important is not so much the science -- but instead getting comfortable with the feel. I suspect that for some people (like Patrick), science actually helps him get comfortable, because he seems to have a high degree of need to "know what is happening" from a scientific perspective. Whereas most of us players rely more on the feel and don't really care if the science supports it or not, as long as it "works for us".:D:D

Patrick Johnson

Verified Member
I switched about 10 or so years ago, and it was a tough transition, but good in the end. I'm impressed that you would take on a swithc like this at your age Rod :)

I do think it was easier to get english with the standard shafts but I don't have a scientific basis for that. I think so much of pool is feel, that what is most important is not so much the science -- but instead getting comfortable with the feel. I suspect that for some people (like Patrick), science actually helps him get comfortable, because he seems to have a high degree of need to "know what is happening" from a scientific perspective. Whereas most of us players rely more on the feel and don't really care if the science supports it or not, as long as it "works for us".:D:D
Pool is all about feel even for me, but my subconscious computer (what I think "feel" is) works better the more good info I feed it. And I'm curious.

If I had to choose between being good at pool and knowing the science of it, I'd choose being good in a heartbeat. Fortunately it's not an either/or thing (I'll be bad either way :)).

pj
chgo

P.S. Lots of players say ld shafts produce more spin.

Last edited:

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
I'll say one more thing, it's not meant to be proven.

I think low deflection is a misnomer, I believe the hollow shaft is what allows all the English not to change the path of the cue ball as the shaft quickly moves out of the way. The first thing I noticed was all banks that I used CIE on, were drastically over cut, moving the object ball too much to make.

Jeff convinced me less power and a softer hit and the opposite English would help. He was absolutely correct, the little cross banks that I'd always hit down on with outside now I roll with inside. I don't make them as well as I once did but I'll keep trying.

Thanks for the answers.

Patrick Johnson

Verified Member
I'll say one more thing, it's not meant to be proven.

I think low deflection is a misnomer, I believe the hollow shaft is what allows all the English not to change the path of the cue ball as the shaft quickly moves out of the way. The first thing I noticed was all banks that I used CIE on, were drastically over cut, moving the object ball too much to make.

Jeff convinced me less power and a softer hit and the opposite English would help. He was absolutely correct, the little cross banks that I'd always hit down on with outside now I roll with inside. I don't make them as well as I once did but I'll keep trying.

Thanks for the answers.
Although I think these things happen for different reasons, I agree with what you see. Seeing it is the important thing.

pj
chgo