My Laughable 3rd Ball Break !

vapros

Verified Member
From
baton rouge, la
Whitey, it looks like it's all about the corner ball. I know you have hit it a few times, so where does that ball usually go? The rest of it looks like it could be a fine break.

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
Wow, that worked out really well -- it might need a try! So it looks like you hit the 3rd ball down, loaded up with inside english. I have to try this one!

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
From
Klamath Falls, Or.
I changed the title of this thread, for it is truly laughable and amazing at the same time.
Thanks Guys, it is a laugh for I could never do that again! I just have to laugh at myself!
Then I had to straight face it, like yah this is how you do it. LOL!
Enjoy! Whitey

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
From
Klamath Falls, Or.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/dNP7UT2oigU4BJZ7A
This is much more normal. I was playing around with 3rd ball break for 5 rack ghost and noticed I was getting a fair break for OP. But what is interesting is how the cue ball's path flattens out and goes more directly into the foot rail with the heavy inside reverse english. Also the corner ball staying flatter into the foot rail. I have even had the corner ball going back into the stack. But, relying on the corner ball to behave is another question!

But I have not done this break enough to really know how effective it is. On the above break, since I did not get a ball in front of the hole which can happen quite frequently with this break, it then offers up the return bank on the 3 into the stack driving balls towards the opponent's hole.

I really did not mean to fool anyone with the laughable break, but I guess miracles can happen! LOL!
Whitey

Last edited:

unoperro

Verified Member
I used to 3rd ball break from a 1/2 diamond out from the rail using inside english. Cueball to end rail and roll to a stop 1 diamond up on the long rail. Corner ball would follow the same path and end up as a blocker.

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
I used to 3rd ball break from a 1/2 diamond out from the rail using inside english. Cueball to end rail and roll to a stop 1 diamond up on the long rail. Corner ball would follow the same path and end up as a blocker.
That's a good break, especially if the corner ball is leaking out.

Keith E.

Verified Member
FWIW, a few guys in my area use that style break. I believe it's because they couldn't get the hang of the "standard" break and they're now much more consistent in their results.

unoperro

Verified Member
Many pool halls do not have equipment that will allow good tight racks so breaks that are less risky are called for.

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
FWIW, a few guys in my area use that style break. I believe it's because they couldn't get the hang of the "standard" break and they're now much more consistent in their results.
It's a good break really. Like you say, it gives consistent results, and almost never sells anything out. The downside is that the rack doesn't spread to your hole as well as the traditional break.

evergruven

Verified Member
hey why not!
nice break whitey..I appreciate the inventiveness
serious question:
are there any 1p circles where it would be frowned upon
to not hit the "classic" 1p break?

playing nine-ball, you gotta hit the one ball first, etc.
does 1p have any rules like that about the break?

ps don't mean to hijack another fun thread whitey
I can get this going elsewhere if *it* is frowned upon

thanks~sean

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
From
Klamath Falls, Or.
hey why not!
nice break whitey..I appreciate the inventiveness
serious question:
are there any 1p circles where it would be frowned upon
to not hit the "classic" 1p break?

playing nine-ball, you gotta hit the one ball first, etc.
does 1p have any rules like that about the break?

ps don't mean to hijack another fun thread whitey
I can get this going elsewhere if *it* is frowned upon

thanks~sean
On the break, it is allowed to first contact any ball within the stack. You can also go to a rail and then into the stack of balls but when doing this you should verbally declare your scoring pocket.

But Yes, there is one break that I would assume would be frowned upon but is perfectly legal. I am no expert in this field for I seldom play OP, just played twice since the 2018 MOT. The break is to softly roll the cb into the head ball and freezing it against the top of the rack sending a sole ball to the foot rail and in front of their scoring pocket.

I personally would not play someone that used this break, for the balls remain in a tight stack prolonging the game tremendously.

In talking to a fellow member about this break, he stated; " I can see a use for it when my opponent is always getting out of a standard break or when the standard break is selling out. I would then use it to change it up".

Baby Huey stated; "a legal break should require two balls going to the rail, like the cue ball and an object ball, for that is what happens anyway".
This would eliminate the head on head ball soft safety break. But, it would also eliminate the unusual break of contacting a rail first for that usually only sends one ball to the rail.

So to adjust then this rule: it is required that two balls contact a rail on the break, either two object balls, or the cue ball and an object ball. Unless utilizing an unusual rail first break then only one ball has to contact a rail.

If express rules were ever developed then the above rule would insure the head on head ball soft break would not be used.
Whitey

Last edited:

evergruven

Verified Member
On the break, it is allowed to first contact any ball within the stack. You can also go to a rail and then into the stack of balls but when doing this you should verbally declare your scoring pocket.

But Yes, there is one break that I would assume would be frowned upon but is perfectly legal. I am no expert in this field for I seldom play OP, just played twice since the 2018 MOT. The break is to softly roll the cb into the head ball and freezing it against the top of the rack sending a sole ball to the foot rail and in front of their scoring pocket.

I personally would not play someone that used this break, for the balls remain in a tight stack prolonging the game tremendously.

In talking to a fellow member about this break, he stated; " I can see a use for it when my opponent is always getting out of a standard break or when the standard break is selling out. I would then use it to change it up".

Baby Huey stated; "a legal break should require two balls going to the rail, like the cue ball and an object ball, for that is what happens anyway".
This would eliminate the head on head ball soft safety break. But, it would also eliminate the unusual break of contacting a rail first for that usually only sends one ball to the rail.

So to adjust then this rule: it is required that two balls contact a rail on the break, either two object balls, or the cue ball and an object ball. Unless utilizing an unusual rail first break then only one ball has to contact a rail.

If express rules were ever developed then the above rule would insure the head on head ball soft break would not be used.
Whitey

thanks whitey! I agree the head ball safety break doesn't sound real fun to play off of, but I guess it would be different
I'm pretty sure I've only seen pros ever play the "standard" break, tho I have some vague memory of corey kicking into the rack
anyway there are a lot of different ways to play, interesting to consider them all
thanks again

beatle

Verified Member
if they want to give up the break advantage by rolling into the head ball have at it. only might work if you can out move your opponent easily and he tends to out shoot you.

beatle

Verified Member
unless said other wise your pocket is the one opposite the side you break from. gambling that is.