Mr wood

youngstownkid

Verified Member
While working at Ponderosa Steakhouse, I learned that a manager there was very talented at woodworking. Soon, I would find out just how skilled he was. He had redone much of the railings and other work work in the store. After talking with him about woodworking in more detail, I asked him to make a cue case for my Mali cue. He made a simple routed out bottom, and used hidden barrel hinges to faster the lid to it. The bottom was made out of black walnut, and the top was made of a very nice piece of Curly maple. The first time he closed it, he couldn't open it back up, because it was vacuum sealed shut!

When I graduated from college my girlfriend bought me a pretty cool graduation present. A new cue, that I got to pick out. We went to the Billiard Emporium and there was a nice looking black and white cue that caught my eye. (This was 15 years ago and to this day it is my only playing cue. How sentimental, eh? Or maybe I'm afraid of my wife's reaction if to me buying a new one!)

I immediately started working at a software shop as an engineer, but I kept in contact with Mr Wood. (This was my girlfriend's nickname for him because he loved to passionately wind up about the subject of woodworking.) I regretfully explained how I sold my previous cue and custom case (that he made) to the assistant pro at the local golf course that I worked at the previous few years.

I had a new cue that needs a case. Keep in mind that this was before I understood the impracticality of having such a case made out of wood. Not to mention building such a thing for a cue that is shamed by more expensive custom cues. But I was right out of college and still quite broke.

Well, he couldn't have been more excited about the idea of building another case. Building the first one wasn't very satisfying for him. He asked me about the wood in the cue, and I told him it was black and imitation bone. He asked if it was Ebony, and I wasn't sure, since I couldn't see any grain. Soon thereafter he came over and inspected it himself. Sure enough it was ebony, as he was able to identify some visible grain.

We discussed a more elaborate design for the case. This was a much nicer cue and deserved a better house! He wanted to design a case that had no visible metal, only wood. I asked him about using cocobolo and tiger maple. He talked me into Birdseye maple instead. Instead of doing a simple routing job, he wanted something more presentable. He used a self made mechanism for the hinging that was needed, and a self made compressing elbow joint for the joint ends of the cue. He also made some custom joint protectors to fit into the compression fittings. (Pictures below)

We had discussed that someday he would make a custom pool table for me, which I can only imagine would be incredible. If I could get the exact specifications from Diamond, and could have him make me a table out of exotic woods. It would be hard to even imagine. My creativity, his knowledge and skill, and the specifications from the best playing pool table IMO. I would be in heaven. Sigh...someday.

Here are some pics of the second case he ever made.

Last edited:

youngstownkid

Verified Member
Mr wood

This is a pen that Mr Wood made for me when I got married. I asked him to make cocobolo pens for the groomsmen, and he made one for me as well as a wedding gift. He remembered how much I liked Tiger maple!