Mostly for the Old Timers

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
Nice find. This was a good match. But to me, the big story was this TV table. It was probably as fast as I've ever seen a table. There was no table light, but there were numerous very hot overhead lamps which kept the table super dry --like linoleum-- placed above a steep close bleacher arena. In the regular tournament table area, the tables were slower and played shorter due to the natural humidity in Galveston.

So in contrast, the TV table caused most players quite a bit of adjustment time. There were a couple of guys who never could adjust.

The event itself was one of the best I'd ever been to in terms of spaciousness, equipment, viewer bleachers, accessibility and accoutrements-- even better than the DCC. Unfortunately the promoter spent so much money on it that he couldn't pull the trigger for a successive annual event.

~Doc

jrhendy

Verified Member
From
Placerville, CA
I took Ronnie Allen to the event in Galveston. Not a good week for me. I went two and out the tournament and then I went off like a rocket to Artie B and Billy I.

The promoters tried to put on a top event and were expecting a much bigger crowd than they got. The Filipino champions were there along with most of the top women players. They built a large grandstand area for the spectators that did not come. There is a large Filipino community in Galveston and they thought they would fill the place up. The tournament itself was great with Efren winning the one pocket, Ronnie Alcano the 9 ball and Ga Young Kim the women’s.

Ronnie did not bite me all week and I was pretty happy about that until I checked out of the room. R A found out you could charge drinks and meals to the room and my bill was $400+ more than I expected. I was pretty pissed, but by the time we got to the airport, I bought him lunch and gave him a little more.:D

vapros

Verified Member
From
baton rouge, la
There! Another good pool story from a senior citizen. Thanks, John. Better cough 'em up, guys. It's later than you think. :D

jrhendy

Verified Member
From
Placerville, CA
There! Another good pool story from a senior citizen. Thanks, John. Better cough 'em up, guys. It's later than you think. :D

Thank Bill, I like to test my memory and do pretty well, especially remembering the times I went off.:D

The Galveston tournament was in September and I got lucky and got my money back at Derby City a few months later, beating Artie and Harry Platis. Artie and I played over 16 hours without a break. I won, but I was dead for two days and had to forfeit my tournament matches.

sneakynito

Verified Member
From
Houston, TX
I discovered that if I watch this before I go to bed on Saturday night, it cuts down on my medication... especially the blue pills.

You're welcome.

These?

JohnInNH

Verified Member
From
GOFFSTOWN, NH
Efren Reyes and Shannon Daulton
Galveston World Classic

(Especially game 1)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?reload=9&v=Hp776RAe7yo

I discovered that if I watch this before I go to bed on Saturday night, it cuts down on my medication... especially the blue pills.

You're welcome.

Hi John,

Thanks for sharing, two great champions going head to head, awesome video, one of the best one pocket matches I've seen, congratulations Shannon on a great win.

John

Jeff sparks

Verified Member
From
Houston, Texas
Louie V. was one of the promoters of this event. He expressed great sorrow in that the tournament lost a bunch of money... We played on the same league 8 ball team a couple of years ago and that’s when this conversation came up... He invited me to his home to play some one pocket, and he had several pics from the Galveston tournament in his man cave... I asked about them, and he told me the whole story about how he and some others organized it and promoted it... Sad that it didn’t get better support, but pool has always been a tough sell to the public...

What a match! Thanks John for sharing the link, great moves and some very good escapes by Shannon...

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
Louie V. was one of the promoters of this event. He expressed great sorrow in that the tournament lost a bunch of money... We played on the same league 8 ball team a couple of years ago and that’s when this conversation came up... He invited me to his home to play some one pocket, and he had several pics from the Galveston tournament in his man cave... I asked about them, and he told me the whole story about how he and some others organized it and promoted it... Sad that it didn’t get better support, but pool has always been a tough sell to the public...
I was surprised and disappointed that they didn't have a follow up event. It seems to me that they would have realized that it takes awhile to get these big events to catch on-- the obvious example is the DCC, or even Johnston City.

As impressive as the setting was, including events for all the pool disciplines, plus 3C billiards, and bar pool, they probably went in too heavy for the first one. They sure didn't spare any expense, so they must have realized what they were getting into. Even the hotel venue was at a 4-star luxury facility, the Moody Gardens Hotel. In that general neck of the woods, surely there were other more cost effective venues.

Did Louie mention any of those points? It sure was a memorable event.

~Doc

Jeff sparks

Verified Member
From
Houston, Texas
I was surprised and disappointed that they didn't have a follow up event. It seems to me that they would have realized that it takes awhile to get these big events to catch on-- the obvious example is the DCC, or even Johnston City.

As impressive as the setting was, including events for all the pool disciplines, plus 3C billiards, and bar pool, they probably went in too heavy for the first one. They sure didn't spare any expense, so they must have realized what they were getting into. Even the hotel venue was at a 4-star luxury facility, the Moody Gardens Hotel. In that general neck of the woods, surely there were other more cost effective venues.

Did Louie mention any of those points? It sure was a memorable event.

~Doc

They spread themselves out to thin with all the events and didn’t have enough lead time for the advertising to be effective enough to match the outlay... Louie said he had to come out of pocket about 40k to pay off everything involved...

It was a nice event, but it seemed somewhat convoluted in that the events were run haphazardly all over the place... I went only one day and sat atop the grandstand overlooking the main table on one side and an array of tables on the backside where they were playing some one pocket matches and some nine ball matches... the main table featured Mica Immonen and Earl Strickland I believe playing 9 ball, I forget who won that match, but I enjoyed it and several other matches during that day as well...the place was huge, and the day I went, it looked almost empty of spectators... A shame, because a lot of great players turned out for the event...