Morgue?

Jeff sparks

Verified Member
From
Houston, Texas
What’s happened to this site? It’s like a morgue! The Ghost disappears and it all goes south!!! I’ve been away for a while, occupied with dis and dat and I tune back in and there’s nothing!!! Somebody needs to pump up the volume around here and get off the f..in chat box... This is about as interesting as watching cars rust at the junk yard... Use it, or lose it!!!

Miller

Verified Member
From
East St. Louis Area
Ok Jeff... tell us some Road Stories!!!!! Please :)

^^^^^yes!

been wondering what tall jeff has been up to....

:D

(i think the site ebbs and flows. for me, summer is a busy time with work, family, etc. (and live horse racing....lol). seems like social media is evolving and facebook (tried it, too much, not for me) is the preferred place for a lot of pool related stuff currently. i've got three or four 1p dvds i haven't watched yet, maybe can get a couple fresh WWYDs up within the next couple weeks....)

youngstown

Verified Member
Morgue?

Sorry. I haven’t been playing much 1p lately, so my version of a WWYD is something like...it’s 2am, you have all 15 balls on the head spot in a perfect circle, the cb hanging in your pocket corner hooked, your holding an unfinished butt of a cue, wearing a respirator, your son wants to go to the driving range, your wife wants you to babysit, your work phone is ringing and your on call this week, Dr Bill is in commentator booth shaking his head and Mitch sitting next to him, who is smiling goofy, but then you blink and you don’t have an opponent because your in your own basement binge-watching Jack Ryan and you’re tired and it’s getting late, WWYD?

LSJohn

Verified Member
From
monett missouri
I’ve been away for a while, occupied with dis and dat

There's your answer: an epidemic of dis and dat.

Personally, I've been playing a lot of rugby, MMA, bocce and curling. I can't get enough of that stuff, but my "cabin boy" duties take a lot of my time.

(I'm playing in a Klabberjas tournament next weekend.)

Jeff sparks

Verified Member
From
Houston, Texas
^^^^^yes!

been wondering what tall jeff has been up to....

:D

(i think the site ebbs and flows. for me, summer is a busy time with work, family, etc. (and live horse racing....lol). seems like social media is evolving and facebook (tried it, too much, not for me) is the preferred place for a lot of pool related stuff currently. i've got three or four 1p dvds i haven't watched yet, maybe can get a couple fresh WWYDs up within the next couple weeks....)

Ok,
Here’s one that nearly killed me...

Oakland, Ca. mid 60’s...
I did some bar hopping back then to make a few dollars, playing 8 ball, 9 ball, darts, shuffleboard, etc etc.... whatever presented itself, I would try...

I came across a guy playing a game called “Boss Dice” which was just a form of poker, only using dice...

It was a relatively common game in most bars in San Francisco during that time period... Mostly it was played by several players sitting at the bar, usually to see who would pay for a round of drinks, worst hand buys...

The game consisted of a medium size leather cup and 5 dice... Each player was passed the cup to shake and roll out the dice... Best possible hand being five 6’s...

Well, the guy who was holding court that night was gambling with several people... They were playing for $5.00 a roll, which isn’t a lot of money, but he was winning an extraordinaryly high percentage of the time...

I watched a few of his rolls and spotted his move... He was holding out...
Ordinarily I would have just let it go, but this guy wasn’t from the area and he was robbing my strawberry patch, which was like stealing from me...

Holding out is when not all of the dice go into the cup, in this particular case only 3 were going into the leather cup while the other two were cupped in his little finger... Naturally, both were set to slide two 6’s into the 3 that were actually inside the cup as he slammed the open side of the cup onto the top of the bar... Having at least two 6’s every time isn’t a cinch, but it’ll kill corn knee high over time, because there’s a 50% chance that one of the other 3 blind rolled dice will come up a 6...

I caught his eye and motioned him over... I told him I knew he was holding out and to quit and leave, or I’d be forced to give him up... He left, and that was it..
I thought everything was cool and I sat down at the bar and was having a drink when just moments later someone tapped me on the shoulder...As I turned to see who, in an instant I knew it was him, but it was to late, for he had already started his forward motion with the Jack handle... I saw it coming, and I heard it hit the bridge of my nose and my left cheekbone, I felt my head snap back and I went to the floor... I was on my back, fully conscious of my surroundings and felt no pain... He took another swing at my head, but this time I saw it coming and was able to move my head enough to avoid another head shot, this one caught my left collar bone and shattered it...

Out of the crowd came an old man I knew, I called him Dutch, it was the only name I had ever heard him called... As the guy was winding up for another swing, old man Dutch jumped on his back wrapped both of his legs around the guys waist and stuck a pistol in his ear.. I heard him say, “You swing, you die”

Next thing I remember is being wheeled down a corridor on a gurney, which just happen to pause at cigarette machine, with pull knobs and a mirror... I didn’t recognize my own reflection, I was a mess...

A little over a month later, and 4 reconstructive surgeries, I was able to go back on active duty... If not for that little old man named Dutch, I’m sure I wouldn’t have made it...

LSJohn

Verified Member
From
monett missouri
Jeff's story reminded me:

I had been playing the Ad-lib dice game occasionally with a couple of drug dealers in Kansas City for $5 a point. This was in about 1978, so it was BIG money to me, and I had been raping them.

One night we finished a set and they wanted to go to a bar of which one of them owned half, so I went with them. There was a bar box in the joint and four of us started playing challenge 9-ball for $5/game. Ordinarily this would be about my top 9-ball price, but in this crowd it seemed like pennies (I was probably already up a few hundred for the night.)

After a while all three of my opponents from this group quit after another guy joined the game. I beat him three or four in a row, and (I think) it was just as I was getting ready to shoot an easy shot on the 9 in the next game everything went black. When I woke up I found out this guy had tried out a little different stroke with his cue stick and I'll bet you can figure out what target substituted for a cue ball.

The others told me he had run out the door right after he cracked me. I felt OK -- other than the headache -- and I was surprised by that. I undoubtedly had a concussion, but didn't know it was anything to worry about. If you wake up, you must be OK, right? (I know I've had at least four concussions; maybe that's why I can't remember what I had for breakfast.) :confused:

I don't remember why, but unfortunately, it turned out that was the end of my Ad-lib exploits with those guys. I had to give up my Miami Beach condo plans.

Back to concussions: It seems unusual to me so maybe it's interesting that my four concussions came in four completely different ways. My first was from a pogo-stick incident on a greasy concrete garage floor when I was ten or 11. Then when I was 13 I was sparring with an older, heavier guy and he forgot it was practice.

My next was in a football game. This one was funny, at least had a surprising outcome: I was playing wide receiver but we had a handful of plays that I could call when it looked right where I would move into the quarterback position and the QB would take my spot. On third down a pass was thrown to me and I got cold-cocked. I don't know whether I caught the ball or not, but at least I know I was well short of a first down. I was later told that in the huddle I said, "I'm calling this one" and everyone listened. I said, "Direct snap to Tomlinson over right guard."

Several guys protested "It's fourth and eight," and I said, "Goddamit, I know what I'm doin'," and they gave in. I took the QB spot. The ball was snapped to Tomlinson (fullback) and he ran into the right guard's back and was spun around. The first thing I remember about all this is that when he spun around I was right behind him and he flipped the ball to me. I ran around the right side and got wide open, but tripped over my own feet and went down. I cursed, and a player on the other team said, "Quit cryin' asshole... you made it." Yep, I made the first down.

Well, I told them I knew what I was doing. :D

El Chapo

Verified Member
I got a short story. It is not really a story i guess. Whatever.

We are watching this guy who cam to town in the early 90's. He is playing everyone one pocket. Play pretty good. Playing partners, playimg solo. He has a different game he is in every time you turn your back.

He gets in this one partners game and me and my buddy are standing next to the door. It turns out this guy's name is "water dog". I am sure some of you guys know his real name, I forget it.

Anyway, he starts playimg real bad at one point. Like real bad. We never saw him play so bad the entire week. I mean i am serious there are like straight in balls and he is knocking them into the rail and just taking terds all over the place.

We turn around cuz we are sort of standing half outside. It is raining. I swear to god some guy we did not know standing there watching some of these hideous shots he has been hitting says to us "maybe this is why they call him water dog". True story. I swear I have never laughed so hard in my life.

jrhendy

Verified Member
From
Placerville, CA
I got a short story. It is not really a story i guess. Whatever.

We are watching this guy who cam to town in the early 90's. He is playing everyone one pocket. Play pretty good. Playing partners, playimg solo. He has a different game he is in every time you turn your back.

He gets in this one partners game and me and my buddy are standing next to the door. It turns out this guy's name is "water dog". I am sure some of you guys know his real name, I forget it.

Anyway, he starts playimg real bad at one point. Like real bad. We never saw him play so bad the entire week. I mean i am serious there are like straight in balls and he is knocking them into the rail and just taking terds all over the place.

We turn around cuz we are sort of standing half outside. It is raining. I swear to god some guy we did not know standing there watching some of these hideous shots he has been hitting says to us "maybe this is why they call him water dog". True story. I swear I have never laughed so hard in my life.

Funny story. Saw him off and on for years and never knew his real name. I believe he was originally from back east and he could really play. Very quiet and unassuming with a bad leg and limp last time I saw him.

mr3cushion

Verified Member
From
Cocoa Beach, FL
Don (for the life of me, I can't think of Don's last name). Got it, Edwards. AKA, "Waterdog" was from originally, Waterford, CT. Played all pool games very good! He had only one vice, He was a heroin junkie. His main goal everyday was to, 'get well' everyday.

He lived in Chicago 90% of his life, played and hustled all the bars in Cicero. Top 14.1 & 9 ball player, played good enough 1P to beat most people, banks was his worst game, He was pretty good at, 'the bite'. He died in a hospice facility about 10-12 years ago.

Even though he had that one bad habit, I never heard of him EVER doing any business to get the money he needed desperately.

Last edited:

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
Sorry for my lower than normal participation lately, I have a lot going on! Work has been crazy with our company being bought out and we are also trying to get our house fixed up to sell (hopefully within 6 months) and it looks like we may be moving to Phoenix! So, although I will always be cincy_kid at heart, I may have a new zip code next year! :)

I have a number of "to do" items for the website and we are still looking for help from anyone interested in helping write some posts for the site. We do have one who volunteered but could use another or 2 if interested. PM if so, thanks!

Either way, once stuff settles down a bit, I will be able to get some of these things knocked off the list.

I'm still here, but with limited time now...keep the stories coming and good to see you again Tall Jeff! ;)

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
i am enjoying the stories guys
keep them coming
my life is boring so no juicy stories.....:sorry.....:eek:

baby huey

Verified Member
I'm at an old Pool Room in downtown LA and two guys are playing nine ball. One of the guys is an old school hustler and the other, an older man, was formally a pretty good player. Anyway they go back and forth and the old guy looks real tired and is breathing pretty hard when he falls to the floor with a massive heart attack and dies. After the police and ambulance arrive getting reports from all of us, the house man asks the hustler for the table time to be paid. "How much is the time" the hustler asks. It's ten dollars the houseman says. "Here's my half, get the rest from him."

beatle

Verified Member
you own a pool room jerry so who is responsible for the time, all the players or individuals that are not together for their own time.

such as if the guy didnt die and just ran out the door does the remaining player have to pay the guys time.

serious question.

fitting posts after looking at the thread title.

Frank Almanza

Verified Member
From
Upland, California
I played Don Edwards "Waterdog" in the early seventies and thought he was a nice enough guy. No arguments and a always pleasure to play with. I saw him just before he passed away and would have never knew it was him if he hadn't introduced himself. I couldn't help feeling sorry for him. Didn't look good at all. He was a very good player.

Island Drive

Verified Member
From
florence, colorado
:lol
I'm at an old Pool Room in downtown LA and two guys are playing nine ball. One of the guys is an old school hustler and the other, an older man, was formally a pretty good player. Anyway they go back and forth and the old guy looks real tired and is breathing pretty hard when he falls to the floor with a massive heart attack and dies. After the police and ambulance arrive getting reports from all of us, the house man asks the hustler for the table time to be paid. "How much is the time" the hustler asks. It's ten dollars the houseman says. "Here's my half, get the rest from him."
:D:p:frus:lol:lol:lol:lol:sorryNOT:)

THATS HOW WE ROLL..............................................................................................................IN.

baby huey

Verified Member
As a room owner, I wouldn't charge anyone for time if this happened. This is not the occasion to be revenue focused. Bad PR is not what a business needs.