Mitch's peppers??

stevelomako

Verified Member
From
Detroit, MI
I've been waiting for a review on the jars of peppers some of you guys picked up from Mitch at the DCC.

I do a mean Mexican soup/chili/dip and was hoping to see someone with a jar there and they'd lead me to Mitch but never did.

The pics of them looked awesome so I've been wondering.

So, let's hear it.

Mkbtank

Verified Member
From
Philly Pa
Mitch's peppers??

Thanks Steve. At this point, they guys who have tried them are Straightback, Col Bille, and JB. I will see if I can find their comments. I won't offer my own (biased lol) but will say that sales are good, and even repeat sales, which are even better. I am shopping a case to california tomorrow for a guy as gifts (repeat). I will only say that they are extremely hot. Above average heat. Like, super hot :).

Hardmix

Verified Member
From
Cumming Ga
I am fairly certain that you have nothing to fear from me. I will try to make it up your way later this summer for some peppers and fun.

Hardmix

wgcp

Verified Member
From
long beach, mississippi
review...

review...

Mitch's peppers are great... perfect addition to chili, or if you like a little more spice in jambalaya, shrimp creole...etc...

However I will warn those of low spice/pepper threshold....as in some of the boys from Kentucky who ate some of the boiled shrimp that I cooked...if you don't eat spicy good food every day the peppers will light you up...

B

PS I was impressed with Scott Frost and Shannon Daulton, who ate the hottest I could throw at them and asked for more...

wgcp

Verified Member
From
long beach, mississippi
Caught and kept my first crappie...had an absolute blast...brought home about a hundred filet's. I had never fished fresh water...learned a lot...

B

PS now it is a waiting game for the speck and redfish bite to turn on...

Mkbtank

Verified Member
From
Philly Pa
Mitch's peppers??

Mitch's peppers are great... perfect addition to chili, or if you like a little more spice in jambalaya, shrimp creole...etc...

However I will warn those of low spice/pepper threshold....as in some of the boys from Kentucky who ate some of the boiled shrimp that I cooked...if you don't eat spicy good food every day the peppers will light you up...

B

PS I was impressed with Scott Frost and Shannon Daulton, who ate the hottest I could throw at them and asked for more...

Thanks for the review Col. Glad you like em!

12squared

Verified Member
From
Fort Collins, CO
Thanks Steve. At this point, they guys who have tried them are Straightback, Col Bille, and JB. I will see if I can find their comments. I won't offer my own (biased lol) but will say that sales are good, and even repeat sales, which are even better. I am shopping a case to california tomorrow for a guy as gifts (repeat). I will only say that they are extremely hot. Above average heat. Like, super hot :).

I was not aware of your peppers, I would have asked for a gift w/purchase since you had your way with me on the table. :)

Nice to see you have many talents.

Dave

GoldCrown

Verified Member
Hi Mitch. Maybe you can offer a challenge at the next WingBowl. That'll give great exposure..... Or start your own WB

Disco Dave

Verified Member
From
Houston, TX
Well, The jar of peppers Mitch promised to me finally arrived.

First off, many thanks to you Mitch for following through and sending them. When Mitch had first offered to send me peppers, I was hoping that he would send me the mild version, but he sent me the Murderous Peppers. The catch is that I now have to write a review on them. Be careful what you ask for is all I'll say! :)

So here goes:

Appearance
The jar is sitting on my kitchen counter in the attached pic. They look very nice. The jar is a good quality decorative mason jar. Label needs a little work...probably needs a Surgeon General's warning on it.

Aroma
Upon opening the jar, the pungent smell of the peppers is readily apparent warning me not to taste of them. Unfortunately, the warning went unheeded.

Consistency
As evidenced by the pictures in this thread, the peppers have been roughly chopped/diced into irregular, manageable size. A clear liquid is present on top of the peppers daring me to take a sip. I demurred.

First Taste
I closed the jar and headed off to Bogies to see if someone other than myself would do the honors. I found a likely victim (er...taste tester) none other than John Rizzo. He was intrigued and got us some plastic spoons and we dipped into the jar. I did half a teaspoon but John took a heaping teaspoonfull. In a few moments, he was gasping :eek: and was really impressed saying something about needing a big glass of milk but there was none in the bar.

I enjoyed my conservative taste and noted its fruity, hot and yet sweet flavor as not extraordinarily hot on on my taste buds, but a ferocious afterburn down my throat. Actually, the aftertaste and residual heat were most interesting and long lasting.

Subsequent Tasting
I took them home and got out my Frito's corn chips and opened a can of regular bean dip (not the hot and spicy kind). Mixed in about 1 to 1-1/2 teaspoons of the peppers. The bean dip was fantastic. A little heat and a little sweet. Problem was, I finished the whole can of dip with the chips at one sitting, enjoyed it very much and the got a minor case of heartburn that developed slowly afterwards. Well worth the pain! :)

The next day, I took my jar with me to one of my habitual lunch spots (The Ragin Cajun) and ordered some red beans and rice with a side of Johnny cake ("cornbread" for the uninitiated). I usually spike my red beans with Tabasco (the only hot sauce I ever use since my days living in New Orleans). This time, I substituted several teaspoons of Mitch's peppers in lieu of Tabasco. The flavor of the red beans was deliciously enhanced. Very nice spicy heat with a very appealing sweetness. I enjoyed the lunch very much.

Conclusion
I am not a person who seeks out the thrilling hunt for the hottest peppers. And I don't get invested in macho tough pepper eating challenges. Tasting Mitch's peppers was a cautious and pleasant experience for me.

I think that if you go all out and try to eat a whole or a couple of teaspoons of the stuff you would be making a big mistake. However, when applied judiciously, Mitch's peppers are a stimulating enhancement to your food preparations. I especially liked the sweet flavoring juxtaposed against the heat of the peppers. My nose is still running! :lol:lol

THANKS FOR THE PEPPERS MITCH!!!! :):):)

PostScript:
My case of heartburn is still building as I type this. :frus:frus

Attachments

• IMG_0423.jpg
    IMG_0423.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
Very nice and thorough review, Dave. I'm warming to the challenge, although my 71 year old taste buds are certainly not as tough as they were at age 45...;)

~Doc

Miller

Verified Member
From
East St. Louis Area
good through review dave.

they're pretty good and evil hot :eek:. (beware of those black olives - i think they soak up all the chaos.....)

:)

Mkbtank

Verified Member
From
Philly Pa
Mitch's peppers??

Thanks for the review Dave! And you're welcome! I'm glad you like them. Also- thanks for commenting on the sweet/hot combo. That was a definite goal for me. Thus the pineapple and apple in there 👍. But I have to tell you.... There IS NO mild version 😊. And even I don't eat my peppers without mixing them in something. But once you figure out what to mix them in, the heat gets addicting. For me anyway. 🌶😳😁.

sappo

Verified Member
From
Tucson AZ
I just sent a very good friend of mine one jar of each of Mitch's peppers. when he called me he was having trouble talking. I warned him they were hot but you know, he is a big pepper eater. anyway he loved them but said in the future he would proceed with caution.
thanks Mitch for your help. Keith