crabbcatjohn

Verified Member
From
Benton, Ky.

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
From
Klamath Falls, Or.
John, I watched the first game, man that was high quality banking.
Would you explain the format in regards as to how you win or stay in, the money.
I believe it is played similar to ring 9 ball where you shoot to make the ball, but if you scratch or miss the ball, then the opponent has the option to accept the shot or not.
I really do not know for I have never played ring bank pool. I haven't played any bank pool since '73 and that was one on one.
Looking forward to viewing the rest of the video!
thanks, Whitey

crabbcatjohn

Verified Member
From
Benton, Ky.
Whitey, This is a ring game tournament. In this format you have chips. Make a ball everybody gives you a chip. Second rack each ball is 2 chips, 3rd rack each is 3 chips etc and keeps going up every rack until somebody has all the chips. You run out of chips, your out of the game. They are also playing you can three rail kick so scratches don't count and your not allowed to play safe. They play with 10 balls instead of full rack so the balls are more open off the break.

dontscratch

Verified Member
From
Freeman va
Whitey, This is a ring game tournament. In this format you have chips. Make a ball everybody gives you a chip. Second rack each ball is 2 chips, 3rd rack each is 3 chips etc and keeps going up every rack until somebody has all the chips. You run out of chips, your out of the game. They are also playing you can three rail kick so scratches don't count and your not allowed to play safe. They play with 10 balls instead of full rack so the balls are more open off the break.
How many chips do they start with, and what happens if it is the 3rd rack, and you only have 2 chips? thanks

crabbcatjohn

Verified Member
From
Benton, Ky.
How many chips do they start with, and what happens if it is the 3rd rack, and you only have 2 chips? thanks
They started with 30 from what he said.
The way I like playing is as long as you have one chip you have a shot and you get full value of the ball if you make a ball while short. I dont know how they play as those rules can vary a little place to place.

Ratamon

Verified Member
From
London, UK
Wow, that John Gabriel chap is the real deal! Haven't heard the name before but some of the banks he kept pulling off one after another were just incredible! Does anyone know him?

And Brian Gregg, of course, who has been robbing the banks ring game at the DCC.

crabbcatjohn

Verified Member
From
Benton, Ky.
John Gabriel has been playing pro Midwest bar table events around here for years.. Sky, Joey, Chip, McMinn, Billy, JHall all grew up playing around him.. There was always bank ring games going on during the midwest tournaments so they all play banks good. He's been playing real well the last few years. Like a lot of these midwest bar table guys he doesn't travel a bunch but has all the skills. I've been watching him play a long time. He was splitting the pocket pretty good..

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
From
Klamath Falls, Or.
John,
I had a comment to further make about this match, but I have to run.
thanks for posting it. Get back to you later!
Whitey

Last edited:

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
From
Klamath Falls, Or.
John,
I was scrolling through the back pages of banks and happen to notice this ring game. The guys are playing excellent banks, and I encourage viewers to watch this match.
Of course, we are in the middle of discussing how the game is played so there is an added interest. I have suggested that balls be spotted immediately.
At 18:30 the breaker makes a ball on the break, and then makes a couple of scored banks, and then goes for another bank but it drops in the wrong hole, which of course brings attention that balls need to be spotted, but they forget to spot the ball made on the break.
Whitey