Matching-up choice

lfigueroa

Verified Member
lou
your post above speaks of arties PLAY not stroke. thats how I came to my conclusion.
at the skill level artie played in his prime he obviously could get the job done with the stroke he had.
i guess he could have hustled you since you were not impressed with his presence or stroke
and if you two gambled ( artie in his prime/ you in yours) i would bet on artie as much as you would offer as a side bet :eek:
but you are entitled to your opinion

Yes, I spoke of his play.

But do you really think I wasn’t also observing everything else about his game?

And though you say you’d bet on Artie I kinda doubt you’d bet on much of anything. Regardless, I didn’t live in a pool room and wasn’t a professional gambler, so your fantasy bet would have been a lock.

Lou Figueroa

mr3cushion

Verified Member
From
Cocoa Beach, FL
A few people have stated, "Artie would only play on his, 'pet' table!" In 69, Bensingers got it's first, 'Gold Crown' table, it replaced the Brunswick, 'Medalist' in the tournament room which also housed a 3C table and about 80 theater seats for sweater's. So, most players that came from out on the road, preferred to play on it.

Since that same few believe that, Jersey Red, Boston Shorty, Bugs, Ronnie Allen, Joey Spathe... were considered the, 'Top' players in the mid/late 60's - early 70's in their primes. Artie beat them All! Except Ronnie, wouldn't give Artie the spot he wanted, (wasn't in Bensingers) not even Chicago. Joey first, the next night Red. In 70, Artie bought Bensingers, a guy that owned a cab and inherited some cash from his Mother, (Al Fuss), staked Shorty to play Artie as race to thirty 1 pocket for 5K. It was advertised in the paper as, "The Champion vs Hustler." Artie beat Shorty, 30-5! That's not just a win, that's an, 'Ass whipping!'

Do these same individuals believe that those players weren't smart enough to quit before they got busted? Did they all think they were on a, 'Pet' or gaffed table before they went broke? Were they all, in a trance? Maybe, the same way but differently how Mosconi put players in a coma!

A major element in playing any sport at the top level is the, 'Mental side of the game!' Artie had this and more than 99% of players. He was absolutely focused and determined at the table! He never sat down in a match, hardly ever took piss, even playing straight pool, when his opponent is running 50, 100 balls! Does anyone know the reason why? Not you, Larry, you know the answer.

Last edited:

mr3cushion

Verified Member
From
Cocoa Beach, FL
Yes, I spoke of his play.

But do you really think I wasn’t also observing everything else about his game?

And though you say you’d bet on Artie I kinda doubt you’d bet on much of anything. Regardless, I didn’t live in a pool room and wasn’t a professional gambler, so your fantasy bet would have been a lock.

Lou Figueroa
I'll speak up here. If You played the same speed as Artie in his prime, and they locked you and he in a room with a pool table, you'd come out limping! Period!

sappo

Verified Member
From
Tucson AZ
lou
your post above speaks of arties PLAY not stroke. thats how I came to my conclusion.
at the skill level artie played in his prime he obviously could get the job done with the stroke he had.
i guess he could have hustled you since you were not impressed with his presence or stroke
and if you two gambled ( artie in his prime/ you in yours) i would bet on artie as much as you would offer as a side bet :eek:
but you are entitled to your opinion
Wow Larry, you would take Artie over Lou, I didn't realize you were such a risk taking gambler! K

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
Lol to Rod and Moose or anyone else I confused with my last post let me try to clarify.

The OP asked if you were 1.5 balls better than your opponent, which is a bigger spot, 10-8, 9-8 or all of the breaks.

We know at the surface that they are both worth around a ball and a half. Because 10-8 is like 8-7 which is 1 ball and then 9-8 is a half of a ball.

So to determine which is a bigger spot, I proposed that you take 2 guys who play dead even. One of them gets all the breaks and the other gets 10-8, 9-8. Before you say anything Dar, I realize normally when you play 10-8 0-8 that assumes its alternating breaks but for the purpose of this test the player would go to 10 one game 9 the next.

Whoever wins that battle more often I would say has the better spot.

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
Lol to Rod and Moose or anyone else I confused with my last post let me try to clarify.

The OP asked if you were 1.5 balls better than your opponent, which is a bigger spot, 10-8, 9-8 or all of the breaks.

We know at the surface that they are both worth around a ball and a half. Because 10-8 is like 8-7 which is 1 ball and then 9-8 is a half of a ball.

So to determine which is a bigger spot, I proposed that you take 2 guys who play dead even. One of them gets all the breaks and the other gets 10-8, 9-8. Before you say anything Dar, I realize normally when you play 10-8 0-8 that assumes its alternating breaks but for the purpose of this test the player would go to 10 one game 9 the next.

lfigueroa

Verified Member
A few people have stated, "Artie would only play on his, 'pet' table!" In 69, Bensingers got it's first, 'Gold Crown' table, it replaced the Brunswick, 'Medalist' in the tournament room which also housed a 3C table and about 80 theater seats for sweater's. So, most players that came from out on the road, preferred to play on it.

Since that same few believe that, Jersey Red, Boston Shorty, Bugs, Ronnie Allen, Joey Spathe... were considered the, 'Top' players in the mid/late 60's - early 70's in their primes. Artie beat them All! Except Ronnie, wouldn't give Artie the spot he wanted, (wasn't in Bensingers) not even Chicago. Joey first, the next night Red. In 70, Artie bought Bensingers, a guy that owned a cab and inherited some cash from his Mother, (Al Fuss), staked Shorty to play Artie as race to thirty 1 pocket for 5K. It was advertised in the paper as, "The Champion vs Hustler." Artie beat Shorty, 30-5! That's not just a win, that's an, 'Ass whipping!'

Do these same individuals believe that those players weren't smart enough to quit before they got busted? Did they all think they were on a, 'Pet' or gaffed table before they went broke? Were they all, in a trance? Maybe, the same way but differently how Mosconi put players in a coma!

A major element in playing any sport at the top level is the, 'Mental side of the game!' Artie had this and more than 99% of players. He was absolutely focused and determined at the table! He never sat down in a match, hardly ever took piss, even playing straight pool, when his opponent is running 50, 100 balls! Does anyone know the reason why? Not you, Larry, you know the answer.

Always at Besingers.

Lou Figueroa
just sayin'

lfigueroa

Verified Member
I'll speak up here. If You played the same speed as Artie in his prime, and they locked you and he in a room with a pool table, you'd come out limping! Period!

I have no doubt.

From what I saw at the DCC he'd chalk his cue for so long I'd have passed out and fallen.

Lou Figueroa

darmoose

Verified Member
From
Baltimore, MD

CK,

So, now that makes sense and clarifies. If that had been said, I wouldn't have commented on it. You may be right that that could answer the question, particularly over the long haul.........thanks.

lfigueroa

Verified Member
In St. Louis, before your time in the 60's, the Real pool room was, 'Grand & Olive.' That's where everyone played, in Chicago for 100 years it was, Bensingers! Your history about pool/poolrooms is weak!

You're a perfect example of a, 'weak minded player!'

Well, yah, I know all about it.

And oh BTW, it was Grand-Olive, not Grand & Olive (you're welcome for the history lesson), modeled on many other rooms of the era. And sorry, if putting the other guy in a coma is what it takes for a "great player" to win, they're the one's who are weak.

Lou Figueroa

Attachments

• G-O St Louis.jpg
    G-O St Louis.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 11

onepocket

Administrator
Staff member
Please make more effort to avoid personal attacks and incitement. Matching up is a good topic. Personal attacks are not. You know who you are -- please stay on topic and do not get involved in individual arguments.

beatle

Verified Member
unless playing a total sucker you never let anyone break to the same pocket all the time if they get the breaks.

but you only tell them that after the first break. ill let you guys figure out why that is.

darmoose

Verified Member
From
Baltimore, MD

unoperro

Verified Member
unless playing a total sucker you never let anyone break to the same pocket all the time if they get the breaks.

but you only tell them that after the first break. ill let you guys figure out why that is.
So you have something to argue over?

Miller

Verified Member
From
East St. Louis Area
beatle is an enigma wrapped within a fortune cookie....don't know if i should wind my watch or scratch my ass....

spot don't matter. guy getting weight is da dawg.
^^^^^
he has to play perfect (for him) to win. which he clearly cannot do, or he wouldn't be getting it.

the end.

(not that i know anything about that....:mad:....lol)