lifetime in action award

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
i would like to nominate jew paul

I don't know the criteria for being included in the HOF for Lifetime In Action but if anyone deserves it, it is Paul. He not only gambled as high as he could but he could play too. His playing ability is usually unmentioned. He played f@@king good. He also played until the other guy dropped dead (figuratively speaking of course).

Rosie might have bet & lost a lot but he couldn't play a lick.

Dennis

JAM

Verified Member
I have a funny YouTube of Keith that I just recenty got a hold of a month ago. There's not much video footage of Keith when he was hitting 'em.

This is at the 1988 Brunwsick World Open, Keith vs. Efren.

Go to Counter Number 00:21:28 (21 minutes and 28 seconds) to 00:22:38 (22 minutes and 38 seconds). Steve Mitzerak is commentating.

A Keithism: "It's Georgie Pine." This is so funny. :lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jm8Y1SBzCd4#t=1288

[ame]http://youtu.be/Jm8Y1SBzCd4[/ame]

Last edited:

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
Its a tough call. My sentimental vote goes to an old pal, and a deserving one the deceased Bernard Bunny Rogoff, and guys like Paul and a recently passed Cole are certainly deserving also. But what the hell, Keith is here with us now and I have to give him the nod for a couple of reasons, one was he was a much, much, better player, two, he played as high as the sky and didnt have a big bankroll behind him to fall back on, and finally, while Paul could play for days, so could Keith; the difference was Paul would only do that periodically, while Keith would perform daily for weeks on end. And finally, I would love to give him the award at DCC so I could have a little fun with him regarding his place on my Beat List. :lol:D (Bank pool only, lets not get crazy) Paul and I, even tho I spent much time around the Rack, never got down. I was near helpless playing onepocket on a 5 x 10 snooker table, and he wanted too much on a pool table.

Beard

Island Drive

Verified Member
From
florence, colorado
Its a tough call. My sentimental vote goes to an old pal, and a deserving one the deceased Bernard Bunny Rogoff, and guys like Paul and a recently passed Cole are certainly deserving also. But what the hell, Keith is here with us now and I have to give him the nod for a couple of reasons, one was he was a much, much, better player, two, he played as high as the sky and didnt have a big bankroll behind him to fall back on, and finally, while Paul could play for days, so could Keith; the difference was Paul would only do that periodically, while Keith would perform daily for weeks on end. And finally, I would love to give him the award at DCC so I could have a little fun with him regarding his place on my Beat List. :lol:D (Bank pool only, lets not get crazy) Paul and I, even tho I spent much time around the Rack, never got down. I was near helpless playing onepocket on a 5 x 10 snooker table, and he wanted too much on a pool table.

Beard

Yep, he definitely was Always....always....weeze hours of the night in action. Having grown up and watching both in their prime/he & Louie Roberts had allot of similarities, but Keith took it up a notch more than Louie did from my perspective (Louie at times took days to recover after chemical warfare). Keith took it to the Entire room/entertainment level, that he learned from RA, who stood alone with Fats from my point of view. It seemed back during my So. Cal. days 76-81, Keith was at the all night bar table place out east of Costa Mesa Hard Times (Name of all night bar ???) giving and beating the nuts ALLOT. I know King Kong with the Big Ball got tortured many times, along with many others. Be hard to pick another other than Fats and RA that had more going on. I remember one time when Keith had only a cue stick and a plastic 7 Eleven bag with his cloths in it, and the next day he might have 10K. His personality, had no worry about tomorrow, only, ''where is the action''. Only then was he home, now he's out of that Jam....and safe, thx jam :).

jrhendy

Verified Member
From
Placerville, CA
Yep, he definitely was Always....always....weeze hours of the night in action. Having grown up and watching both in their prime/he & Louie Roberts had allot of similarities, but Keith took it up a notch more than Louie did from my perspective (Louie at times took days to recover after chemical warfare). Keith took it to the Entire room/entertainment level, that he learned from RA, who stood alone with Fats from my point of view. It seemed back during my So. Cal. days 76-81, Keith was at the all night bar table place out east of Costa Mesa Hard Times (Name of all night bar ???) giving and beating the nuts ALLOT. I know King Kong with the Big Ball got tortured many times, along with many others. Be hard to pick another other than Fats and RA that had more going on. I remember one time when Keith had only a cue stick and a plastic 7 Eleven bag with his cloths in it, and the next day he might have 10K. His personality, had no worry about tomorrow, only, ''where is the action''. Only then was he home, now he's out of that Jam....and safe, thx jam :).

Daisey Mays

Island Drive

Verified Member
From
florence, colorado
Daisey Mays

Daisey Mays

Daisey Mays

Yeah, I spent quite a few nights there in my Van and take a two hour nap and then look for action. I would arrive there around one am, go to bed and wake up around 3-3:30 am. By that time the place was usually filled up because pool rooms closed at 2 I think....walk in and Keith was in action, trying to get action, just got done with action and was, running packages and his character all night long.

What town was that in John?

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
I have a funny YouTube of Keith that I just recenty got a hold of a month ago. There's not much video footage of Keith when he was hitting 'em.

This is at the 1988 Brunwsick World Open, Keith vs. Efren.

Go to Counter Number 00:21:28 (21 minutes and 28 seconds) to 00:22:38 (22 minutes and 38 seconds). Steve Mitzerak is commentating.

A Keithism: "It's Georgie Pine." This is so funny. :lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jm8Y1SBzCd4#t=1288

http://youtu.be/Jm8Y1SBzCd4

That was a very entertaining, well played, and exciting match to watch and it brought back memories with all the notables that were in the audience, me included at the 6:07 mark.

Other notables.

Dave Bollman-- Grady Mathews--Dan Louie 00.40
Joe Kerr 13:41
Richie Ambrose--Rolondo (Reyes friend)--Mike Lebron 18:29
Jimmy Rempe 22:08

I'm sure there were many more players and people that were worthy of mention, however, I didn't notice any of them. If anyone else watched and recognized anyone of importance I would like to know so I can go back and take another look at not only them but the match as well. Great find Jam.

Bill Incardona

SJDinPHX

Suspended
Daisey Mays

I remember Daisy Mays, I just don't remember when ?..I think that's the joint where I had a MAJOR problem ! ...John, did you or Frank miss my post #6, in the "Five Points- SoCal" thread ???

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
Yeah, I spent quite a few nights there in my Van and take a two hour nap and then look for action. I would arrive there around one am, go to bed and wake up around 3-3:30 am. By that time the place was usually filled up because pool rooms closed at 2 I think....walk in and Keith was in action, trying to get action, just got done with action and was, running packages and his character all night long.

What town was that in John?

Santa Ana

Beard

jrhendy

Verified Member
From
Placerville, CA
Santa Ana

Beard
Any player that could draw their ball showed up there after hours because there was so much action. I was not much of a bar pool player, especially with the big ball and was mainly there just to sweat.

Chris, the manager there was a friend and he ended up doing pretty well running Fritz's, a nude bar around the corner from where Hard Times in Bellflower is now.

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
Another candidate for the Lifetime in Action Award would be Ronnie Wiseman. Though he does travel the tournament trail form time to time, he's an action kind of guy.

Here's Ronnie and his young stakehorse friend. I can't remember the other guy's name, but he used to back Ronnie in high stakes games. The poor young man passed away about 3 years ago.

That's Big Willy. Very nice kid. May he rest in peace.

Dennis

big willy.jpg

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
rosie certainly couldnt play real well but i heard he got better after going to detroit. when i first started gambling with him he lost 50k in a tiny no limit lowball game. soon after we were playing his game of pool on the bar table. eight ball with him spotting me three balls off the table after the break of my choice. he had the spot mixed up a little. we did lower it after the bet got to 30 g a game.
he gambled higher than most anyone ever and lost. he didnt want to play really good players and picked on what he thought we players that werent good.
luckily i knew not to let him get ahead as he would quit and never play you again if ahead. saved me as i always stall so much and dont worry about being stuck.
also i knew he didnt like to pay in full and make people settle. i kept him going back for more money.it worked.

he deserves to be in at some point. and dont forget about cole while he is fresh in our minds.

Like I said, I don't know the criteria for being in for Lifetime In Action. If it includes playing ability, betting high, playing forever and playing One-Pocket, then Paul should be in before anyone else mentioned in this thread. lll is correct.

Dennis

JAM

Verified Member
Like I said, I don't know the criteria for being in for Lifetime In Action. If it includes playing ability, betting high, playing forever and playing One-Pocket, then Paul should be in before anyone else mentioned in this thread. lll is correct.

Dennis

In your opinion? :D

Paul is a very worthy candidate. I'm sure he will get in this year. :)

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan

Dennis

In your opinion?

Paul is a very worthy candidate. I'm sure he will get in this year. :)

Yes, usually when I write something, it is my opinion.

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
Well, I too would like to see the Quakester get the Lifetime in Action award. However, we can campaign, but we don't get a vote for that distinction.

Could they coax him off the poker sites long enough to come get the award?:D

~Doc

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
similar to the HOF nominees thread
getting the oldtimers/deceased members in before they are forgotten i think we owe it those that came before us to honor them for the foundation they layed for the next generation
keith is a no brainer and jam is a popular poster pushing a popular guy
but i think jew paul is also a no brainer and should be so honored with keith or before keith
keith will have his jersey retired in the HOF eventually
but those that knew paul bresloff(sp) are diminishing year by year sadly
so those that would vote for him are diminishing
call me sentimental
but i think paul should be among the lifetime in action list of hall of famers
jmho
icbw

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
similar to the HOF nominees thread
getting the oldtimers/deceased members in before they are forgotten i think we owe it those that came before us to honor them for the foundation they layed for the next generation
keith is a no brainer and jam is a popular poster pushing a popular guy
but i think jew paul is also a no brainer and should be so honored with keith or before keith
keith will have his jersey retired in the HOF eventually
but those that knew paul bresloff(sp) are diminishing year by year sadly
so those that would vote for him are diminishing
call me sentimental
but i think paul should be among the lifetime in action list of hall of famers
jmho
icbw

lll,

1. Paul played very high on his own dime.

2. Paul played very good.

3. Paul played until his opponent dropped and usually after also.

4. Paul played One-Pocket.

Paul definitely belongs in before Keith or Rosie or anyone else mentioned in this thread.

Dennis

onepocket

Administrator
Staff member
Unless Paul has changed his mind, last year he told me directly that he would like to withdraw his name from consideration. Not to speak for him, but he is not the first player that is not as interested in getting HOF attention as you might think, for whatever reason -- particularly regarding the Lifetime Pool in Action award. So even though the consensus is that Paul is indeed a strong candidate, I am going to respect his request unless I hear otherwise.