Legends - Bank Ring Game!

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
From
Klamath Falls, Or.
After viewing a few recently posted bank ring games, it got me thinking of who I'd like to see in a bank ring game.
Can you imagine these players playing on a 5 x 10 such as mine with rails that readily except double cross side and corner banks w/out a 2nd rail reverse effect, and reliable multi-rail banks, plus w/ lively pockets, that play tough! Full Racks of course! A lot of these hustlers were used to 5 x 10 and the balls open up more in full rack banks. I could go with 4-1/2 x 9 with lively cushions that the pockets play tough, of course.

Bugs, Fats, Eddy Taylor, Vernon Elliot, Donny Anderson, Cornbread Red, and the kids; Gary Spaeth & Keith McCready & myself (dreaming, lol!). But I'd love to play in this, lol~
And - Don Willis & Johnny Irish. They can play anything! Plus the great 9-ball shoot-out players Jimmy Cowboy, Wimpy Lassiter, they would have to know how to bank. Of course the Beard! Can you imagine the Beard and Fats, one on one, the off the charts banter, lol! How about that for a challenge match, weight put aside!
Also,
Jim Rempe (run of 24 - 3 perfect games), Nick Varner.
All these guys played either only or mainly full rack banks.

Of course, I am mentioning all of the above players, in their prime.

I know there are more to be included, but I just do not have a clue, and other members would have other choices, of course. I did not include any younger current modern day bankers.
I only know McCready - but that kid can really bank! A 5x10, he is right at home!
Who would end the top two! I do know that tournament players would not have a prayer, for these are all hustlers, that makes a difference!
Whitey

Last edited:

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
From
Klamath Falls, Or.
Gotta throw JB in there for sure... but good group :)
No, read my post more clearly, no modern day bankers are included so not listed! He of course has the talent, but wrong era.

But, Cincy, you could put up a list of todays bankers you would put up against the dream legendary team. Remember, back then these guys were pure hustlers, they sure would rather hustle than play in a tournament, there is a vast difference between these guys and tournament players.
thanks, Whitey

Last edited:

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
No, read my post more clearly, no modern day bankers are included so not listed! He of course has the talent, but wrong era.

But, Cincy, you could put up a list of todays bankers you would put up against the dream legendary team. Remember, back then these guys were pure hustlers, they sure would rather hustle than play in a tournament, there is a vast difference between these guys and tournament players.
thanks, Whitey
I'll take JB, Daulton, chohan, Thorpe, Woodward and Bergman if we are just choosing Americans. Not saying the younger group would win but would be fun to watch

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
From
Klamath Falls, Or.
I'll take JB, Daulton, chohan, Thorpe, Woodward and Bergman if we are just choosing Americans. Not saying the younger group would win but would be fun to watch
Yes, go ahead and include our modern current out of the country players, if you would like to, that would be fine. You selected some very fine American bankers, there are others that I also admire.
thanks, Whitey

mr3cushion

Verified Member
From
Cocoa Beach, FL
In Chicago alone in the 60's - 70's, there were 6-8 'Full Rack' bank pool players that would beat 95% of this crew.

On the old Brunswick and GC tables you needed a certain, 'stroke/technique' to tighten up balls. On Diamond tables, the rails do it automatically, without speed.

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
From
Klamath Falls, Or.
I researched Steve's OP Bank HOF before I put up this thread and yes, there is a fair representation of Chicago players, and players in and around Kentucky. Very interesting read, thanks Steve!
The dream team of ring bank players that I would like to see go at, are born before '60, the youngest in '57, the oldest '13. That way I know they played shoot-out 9-ball that develops bank pool players.
I am of a definite mindset that the game of 9-ball shoot-out made the players of that era better bank players than today's players, in general. You really had to know how to bank to be successful in those days.
Whitey