LeCue Club 1970

Ross Keith Thompson

Verified Member
From
madisonville, texas
LeCue Club and the greatest show was still in full swing in 70.

World beaters still lined the bar and great tunes thrived 24/7 on the juke box.

Poker players, gin players, stakehorses, gamblers from all over H-town would show up on Friday and Saturday nights hoping to see major pool action!

One person I knew there was special and always treated me like I was a prince among thieves, his name was Charles.

He was a black man about mid 30’s, rather large man well built, 6-3 240ish.

He worked a day job all week and worked nights at LeCue club on weekends. He had 8-12 kids and worked there and watched me grow up there my whole career.

When I walked past the bar Charles would always say KT in a bold way like the big dog was in the house, Bahahaha. He always gave me a smile like I was somebody and we would chat occasionally when the place was slow, good memories!

By the time my 18th BD came around I headed for California to hang out with my two brothers.
Fell out of stroke for a few months from not playing and fell on hard times but got my game going eventually living at Popcorns place.

Left Cal with Alibi Al and Popcorn and headed to Johnston City.

Popcorn lost a 1000 behind me and him and Al drove back to Cal, I would stay and let the chips fall where they may. I was broke in a foreign land where legends were born Bahahaha.

I would leave Johnston City and return to H-town as World Champion.

World beaters still lined the bar at LeCue. Charles still said KT in a bold way when I took my place at the end of the bar.

The greatest show on turf made me and Johnston City me how to be a pro!

The show was still #1 in 1970 with world class action and great tunes every weekend.

LeCue would keep on into the 70’s, don’t know exactly when it died but for a time it built legends, I miss those times back in the day when life was fun at LeCue!

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
From
Klamath Falls, Or.
In Sept. of '69
Houston invitational 9-Ball Tournament of Champions / Double Round Robin - 9 players
LeCue
Jack Breit - won it with a score of 13 wins lost 3, and then placing in this order were;
Luther Lassiter
Cisero Murphy
Richie Florence
Greg Stevens
U.J. Pluckett
Ronnie Allen
Danny Jones
Jimmy Moore

This shows the caliber of players, any thoughts on this tournament,
thanks, Whitey

Last edited:

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
In Sept. of '69
Houston invitational 9-Ball Tournament of Champions / Double Round Robin - 9 players
LeCue
Jack Breit - won it with a score of 13 wins lost 3, and then placing in this order were;
Luther Lassiter
Cisero Murphy
Richie Florence
Greg Stevens
U.J. Pluckett
Ronnie Allen
Danny Jones
Jimmy Moore

This shows the caliber of players, any thoughts on this tournament,
thanks, Whitey
That's the tourney where Stevens beat Lassiter 11/0 without Lassiter taking a shot.:) He only had one option on a roll out, but declined.

Last edited:

Maxwell

Verified Member
That's the tourney where Stevens beat Lassiter 11/0 without Lassiter taking a shot.:) He only had one option on a roll out, but declined.
The first time I saw Stevens play I almost gave up pool. It was a Friday night, by Sunday he was back to earth. But what a player.

beatle

Verified Member
arent those guys the ones that wouldn't be able to compete with the new modern day players.

or is it that the new modern day players wouldnt be able to compete with the old timers in their prime on the equipment they had to play on.

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
From
Klamath Falls, Or.
I bet our author of this thread KT would of sure liked to be in the '69 tournament. And I bet the other players were glad he was not in it. Squirrel can really shoot the lights out! Yes sir, Squirrel is one straight shooting son of a gun! In '70 Johnston City, he left little doubt about that. Way to shoot Squirrel! He also placed very high up in the US Open One Pocket!

But for the younger members, when Androd stated that Wimpy declined the shootout, it does not mean after the opening shot, for a shoot out during that era could be played at any time. And back in those days if you declined then the guy would stone it in. You had to be a shot maker in those days, players did not shoot out to then play a safety, no sir, it was to take you down, and they would!
Whitey

Last edited:

beatle

Verified Member
2 shot shoot out or pushout gave the weaker players what they thought was a chance as they got shots at a ball. and the smarter player got to win if they shot relatively close in speed.

texas 9 ball ruined and stopped the game from being played in pool rooms for money. weak players would never get to shoot. the good players no matter what the spot was, would run balls till they got in trouble or won the game. if got in trouble just hooked the bad player, and he couldnt kick well and gave ball in hand and watched the run out. it was no fun. still isnt.
it certainly helped one pocket spread itself.