LeCue Club 1968

Ross Keith Thompson

Verified Member
From
madisonville, texas
It was 1968 and my 2nd year at the Greatest show on Turf. I was now bringing my game to new levels. I no longer struggled with racks of 9 ball.

All the major hustlers like Grady Mathews, Greg Stevens, etc. knew me and where my game was at.

I turned 16 in May and by early fall that year my game was just under everybody that wasn’t named Jersey Red, Danny Jones or Greg Stevens!

Played Cole Dickson that fall with the call eight for ten a game. It was a decent bet back in the day to test somebody. This was a trap set up by ten percent Denny a pure thief that hung out at LeCue every weekend. But the trap didn’t work!

What a player this kid Cole Dickson was! It was unbelievable what he could do to a nine ball rack, perfect position, great control of his cue ball. Had me 20 games loser! I had to get my chance before I called it a day and I guess I did ok. Made Cole rack balls for 2 hrs and made him quit! Pecking order was not established!

That match changed me that day and from that day forward I strived too separate my game from all others. I grew up quite a bit as a player in 1968 awas tested more than a couple times but playing Cole Dickson at 16 years old was a huge test.

By the end of 1968 my game had made a big jump, I no longer was a shortstop in a den of thieves, I was a full blown predator with an unquenchable thirst for major pool action.

I was in hog heaven at the greatest show on turf in 1968!

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
It was 1968 and my 2nd year at the Greatest show on Turf. I was now bringing my game to new levels. I no longer struggled with racks of 9 ball.

All the major hustlers like Grady Mathews, Greg Stevens, etc. knew me and where my game was at.

I turned 16 in May and by early fall that year my game was just under everybody that wasn’t named Jersey Red, Danny Jones or Greg Stevens!

Played Cole Dickson that fall with the call eight for ten a game. It was a decent bet back in the day to test somebody. This was a trap set up by ten percent Denny a pure thief that hung out at LeCue every weekend. But the trap didn’t work!

What a player this kid Cole Dickson was! It was unbelievable what he could do to a nine ball rack, perfect position, great control of his cue ball. Had me 20 games loser! I had to get my chance before I called it a day and I guess I did ok. Made Cole rack balls for 2 hrs and made him quit! Pecking order was not established!

That match changed me that day and from that day forward I strived too separate my game from all others. I grew up quite a bit as a player in 1968 awas tested more than a couple times but playing Cole Dickson at 16 years old was a huge test.

By the end of 1968 my game had made a big jump, I no longer was a shortstop in a den of thieves, I was a full blown predator with an unquenchable thirst for major pool action.

I was in hog heaven at the greatest show on turf in 1968!
I remember Cole had been in town 6 or 8 weeks earlier. He staked Alibi Al to play me ,Al played kinda bad and Cole took the Stick and lost also. When he came back he was trying to play me again. I told him an Eskimo on a sled had been through telling everyone how well Cole was playing. He said I'll give you the call 8ball, I was stalling around saying I need more. You jumped in an said I'll take the call 8ball.
After the game was over he gave me $100 and his new Joss that bill Stroud had given him for a Balabuska I had. He told me he could get $500 for it in LA. after some time I sold the Joss to Flyboy. He sill has it and about 12 shafts.

Last edited:

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
He told me he had a 5 story dance studio in New York, He told me he lost it playing pool, one story at a time.

The rest of the story, he had broke me playing 10ball that same morning, I got pumped up and asked to play again, he had gone across the street and sent his cash off some where. He chewed on some ears and finally got Cole to stake him.