LeCue Club 1967

Ross Keith Thompson

Verified Member
From
madisonville, texas
It was my first trip to LeCue club in downtown Houston in 1967. I was 14 years old and had no idea a place like that existed, 40 tables or so all being Gold Crowns.

Also had a snooker table or 2 and three cushion billiards along with a bar table.

LeCue would be my home the next four years where I learned pocket billiards at an accelerated rate that probably has no comparison.

Probably wouldn’t have won Johnston City if I hadn’t grown up their. I got a masters degree in pocket billiards in four years from jersey red, Greg stevens, Danny Jones, “Duke”, Rodney stevens, Tall Jeff and many more great teachers that never knew that I was watching and listening!

All these great players were performing every weekend in one of or the best action spots in the country.

LeCue Club had the greatest show on turf every weekend and a young kid with a wild desire to play was right in the middle of this show!
For a time this Club may not have had an equal in the late 60’s.

BrookelandBilly

Verified Member
From
Fair Oaks Ranch, Texas
It was my first trip to LeCue club in downtown Houston in 1967. I was 14 years old and had no idea a place like that existed, 40 tables or so all being Gold Crowns.

Also had a snooker table or 2 and three cushion billiards along with a bar table.

LeCue would be my home the next four years where I learned pocket billiards at an accelerated rate that probably has no comparison.

Probably wouldn’t have won Johnston City if I hadn’t grown up their. I got a masters degree in pocket billiards in four years from jersey red, Greg stevens, Danny Jones, “Duke”, Rodney stevens, Tall Jeff and many more great teachers that never knew that I was watching and listening!

All these great players were performing every weekend in one of or the best action spots in the country.

LeCue Club had the greatest show on turf every weekend and a young kid with a wild desire to play was right in the middle of this show!
For a time this Club may not have had an equal in the late 60’s.
In 1967 I was a sophomore in college and when I would infrequently come home on weekends I would head to LeCue to watch and occasionally play golf on the snooker table with Red Perry. The pool being played at LeCue was way above my grade level. I could compete in the road houses in East Texas but not with this group. Around 11:00 I would head over to Parker’s on Washington Avenue when things were heating up. Both LeCue and Parker’s were replete with characters out of a Damon Runyon novel and there was never a dull moment. T. J. Parker has a Fat’s poster on the wall and when asked he would tell me he was expecting him any day. I didn’t want to miss Fats so I would call Parker’s on occasion from college on a pay phone to find out when fats was going to appear. I don’t think he ever did show up. When I think back I believe that Parker was using Fat‘s appearance (?) as a marketing tool. I have to laugh about it When I think about it today.

Island Drive

Verified Member
From
florence, colorado
60's....When I was growin' up in the burbs of Chicago, us kids always heard about this pool room in the big city, Bensingers. Only went in there one time during HS, definitely had character, like many great rooms did.

Jeff sparks

Verified Member
From
Houston, Texas
Sure was fun Keith...
Even when I got broke, I loved it!
It was “the” top action pool room in the country in the late 60’s
with a who’s who list of visiting pros from across the country...
Many of em got broke, and had to stick awhile and hit the pump!

When I think back on it, it’s seems like a combination of things
that made the room....
At the top of the food chain, pros Greg Stevens and Jersey Red
were there everyday to play any and all comers, any game...
Then there was a group of about 30 or so of us shortstops who were
there on a daily basis to handle the lightweights that came in...
The location was great, with a free parking lot right there at
the base of the building and a grill that served up good food 24/7...
i believe that the fact that It was nearly impossible to walk in
at anytime of day or night and not see some action going on
was big in making LeCue popular... Women and suits were there
everyday, and that was a rarity for pool rooms in the 60’s!
People go where people are, and where the action is... In 67, 68, 69 and
a few short years beyond, It was at LeCue... Great room.... Great memories!

beatle

Verified Member
you were significantly better than a shortstop. maybe a world top pro minus a tiny bit.

Tomato Stew

From
Springfield, MA
Great times. I was 20, new to Houston, an evening student at UH, from New England. I played a notch below shortstop, but I was a smart gambler, and supported myself and girlfriend without working. Keith Thompson, "Little Squirrel", named me Tomato Stew. The smartest gambler in the room was Jack Terry, a top tier shortstop.
I loved watching the top players play one pocket, poetry in motion combined with chess. Watching Ronnie Allen play Jeck Breit was beyond amazing. A misspent youth, yes, yet it was a great life in many ways. I was part of a lost era and subculture. Sometimes I wish I could relive my time in Houston, my many nights at LeCue.