Larry 'The Truth' Nevel passes away

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
Sorry to hear it and my condolences to family and friends. He had one of the strongest breaks/strokes I have ever seen. RIP

Ratamon

Verified Member
From
London, UK
Sad day for our sports. RIP Larry, you are gone but not forgotten.

I hear he has been stranded at a hospital in a foreign state so to repatriate him back home is probably going to set the family back a few dollars. Is there a gofundme or similar - does anyone know?

mr3cushion

Verified Member
From
Cocoa Beach, FL

I hear he has been stranded at a hospital in a foreign state so to repatriate him back home is probably going to set the family back a few dollars. Is there a gofundme or similar - does anyone know?
Here's the info from his wife.

"My husband Larry Nevel has passed away on February 11,2022 @ 9:32PM. Larry passed away at Mayo hospital with myself by his side."

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
It's a real tragedy. They gave him 6 months in November, so he only made it to 3.
I never understood what was the basis for his fatal diagnosis. Was it severe diabetes? Non-treatable heart disease?

baby huey

Verified Member
What a force of nature he was. Could play as well as ANYONE. RIP Larry.

sheldon

Verified Member
From
Springfield Oregon

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
Larry was the 2003 All-around Derby City Classic champion, which is certainly a major title in our world! I think he made the finals of at least one other DCC event, but I would have to look deeper to identify what that was for sure.

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
Here is Larry demonstrating one of his massive stroke shots at the Derby in 2006, with the trick shot artist (Italian, but name escapes starts with "P" lol) watching, along with the late "old has been" member here (Tom Ferry).

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
...and here in 2008, I think this must be close to the finals of One Pocket that year, on the TV table vs Gabe Owen, bewcause it came at the end of my photos that year, with Gabe celebrating at the very end! And Gabe did win the One Pocket that year according to the records.

Ratamon

Verified Member
From
London, UK
Here is Larry demonstrating one of his massive stroke shots at the Derby in 2006, with the trick shot artist (Italian, but name escapes starts with "P" lol) watching, along with the late "old has been" member here (Tom Ferry).

Thanks for sharing the photos Steve. I believe it's Stefano Pelinga on the left

ChicagoFats

Verified Member
When I was up in Dekalb, Larry had heard I was playing some guys for 100 a game. He made a visit to come match up with me about 20+ years ago. I was in Sandusky Ohio that weekend winning a team pool tournament. Lucky for me I guess :) Perhaps we will match up some day in the sky. It would have been great to learn from him.

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
Interesting to see in the audience "Pots & Pans" in costume on the left, and that big guy from TAR on the right (Chad?).
That is Pots and Pans for sure, but I do not believe that is Chad, the TAR guy. Chad was a big guy, but a different big guy I think.

B_White

Rest in peace my friend. He lived in South Carolina for quite a while and I battled with him many times. He was an unbelievable player.