Lake Charles, Beumont, Houston looking at trouble...

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
Looks like Hurricane Laura could reach a Category 4 by the time it hits the LA/TX coast tonight or Thurs. morning. There's going to be severe damage in Lake Charles. The lake is expected to surge up 10-15 feet, which will easily cover I-10. Galveston is evacuated, and there will certainly be flooding in Houston.

Jeff, it might be a good time for you and the Mrs. to take that trip to Dallas y'all have been putting off...;)

vapros

Verified Member
From
baton rouge, la
1:00 PM - The breeze is picking up a little, but no rain yet. Storm surge in the 18-20 foot range is predicted for the southwest part of Louisiana, and they expect to close I-10 in that area. I don't expect to see the eye of this one, but we should be on the east side of it, which is the ugliest. Stay tuned.

Jeff sparks

Verified Member
From
Houston, Texas
Looks like Hurricane Laura could reach a Category 4 by the time it hits the LA/TX coast tonight or Thurs. morning. There's going to be severe damage in Lake Charles. The lake is expected to surge up 10-15 feet, which will easily cover I-10. Galveston is evacuated, and there will certainly be flooding in Houston.

Jeff, it might be a good time for you and the Mrs. to take that trip to Dallas y'all have been putting off...;)
We just rode out Hanna... lol... Linda’s birthday is July 24th
and we were vacationing at the beach on Mustang Island that entire week...
We drove down after work on Friday evening ( the 24th ) and unpacked
just in time to brace ourselves for Hanna’s arrival later that night/morning of the 25th...
We lost power that night, and so did most of Port Aransas and also North Padre Island...
Hanna had lots of wind where we were, 90/105mph tops, but little rain, and she passed rather quickly...
Power company restored power by 4:00 pm Saturday, and we got to sleep in the a/c Saturday night...

Laura looks to be another fast mover, but with stronger sustained winds, probably hit cat 3
and hold there until landfall... Lake Charles looks like it’s going to be the bullseye,
but ya never know, these things can turn on a dime and destroy tons of property with the tidal surge...

We are staying put in our home... we should be fine... 👍 take care Doc, be safe...

rnewkirk

Verified Member
From
Weatherford, TX
1:00 PM - The breeze is picking up a little, but no rain yet. Storm surge in the 18-20 foot range is predicted for the southwest part of Louisiana, and they expect to close I-10 in that area. I don't expect to see the eye of this one, but we should be on the east side of it, which is the ugliest. Stay tuned.
Bill, I guess that you are staying put and riding it out.

How far inland are you and how far above sea level ? Be safe AND don't forget to wash your hands ;)

Island Drive

Verified Member
From
florence, colorado
I have a very good friend since the 70's. She lived in Metairie LA. As she got older, she moved north, 50 miles north of New Orleans, just for this reason. Like us, that have lived in Colorado for ever, we never wanted to buy our home in the middle of a pine forest.
Like my son in law, DOW state employee says. Every forest has a 500 year life span before it burns. That's how the world rolls.

sappo

Verified Member
From
Tucson AZ
Hoping all in the area come out of this okay. Stay safe, stay dry and err on the side of caution. Keith

Island Drive

Verified Member
From
florence, colorado
We just rode out Hanna... lol... Linda’s birthday is July 24th
and we were vacationing at the beach on Mustang Island that entire week...
We drove down after work on Friday evening ( the 24th ) and unpacked
just in time to brace ourselves for Hanna’s arrival later that night/morning of the 25th...
We lost power that night, and so did most of Port Aransas and also North Padre Island...
Hanna had lots of wind where we were, 90/105mph tops, but little rain, and she passed rather quickly...
Power company restored power by 4:00 pm Saturday, and we got to sleep in the a/c Saturday night...

Laura looks to be another fast mover, but with stronger sustained winds, probably hit cat 3
and hold there until landfall... Lake Charles looks like it’s going to be the bullseye,
but ya never know, these things can turn on a dime and destroy tons of property with the tidal surge...

We are staying put in our home... we should be fine... 👍 take care Doc, be safe...
Jeff, do you think this storm will produce more rain, that the 2016 Event in Houston?

vapros

Verified Member
From
baton rouge, la
7:45 pm - Laura should be ashore by now. Here in Baton Rouge we have had a few rain showers and there's a gentle breeze blowing. What the hell!? If there's more it's making us wait. The governor has been pleading with the people in the Lake Charles area to get out - he's calling the storm surge 'unsurvivable', whatever that means. I saw the mayor of one of the small towns out that way, telling his people 'after dark it's just you and God'. So far this is a very strange hurricane. Seeing lots of pictures of rising water all along the coast, as far east as the mouth of the river - it's hard to explain just how much water a big storm pushes ahead of it, to people who don't live on the coast. And that water goes ashore temporarily - sort of a minor-league tsunami, I suppose. If this were Europe we would be one of the Low Countries, like Belgium and Holland.

Much of the land between Lake Charles and the gulf is low and flat and without many trees. It's ideal for grazing and there are many cattle on it. Many, many cattle. With a storm surge coming, there's no high ground for them and a lot of them will drown. In 1957, after Audrey, I think there were thousands of rotting carcasses on those prairies, and nothing to do but wait it out. Cows dead, money gone. This time? I don't know.

I will post again later.

vapros

Verified Member
From
baton rouge, la
Midnite - still pretty quiet here - almost spooky. The mayor says we will get tropical force winds and heavy rain in the morning. We'll see. Feeling pretty lucky right now.

There is an impressive fleet of electrical service trucks building here, ready when they can get into the trouble zones. They are from Pike Electric in Mt. Airy, N.C. The southern states are very good at offering support in hard times. Good for us.

12squared

Verified Member
From
Fort Collins, CO
Midnite - still pretty quiet here - almost spooky. The mayor says we will get tropical force winds and heavy rain in the morning. We'll see. Feeling pretty lucky right now.

There is an impressive fleet of electrical service trucks building here, ready when they can get into the trouble zones. They are from Pike Electric in Mt. Airy, N.C. The southern states are very good at offering support in hard times. Good for us.
Thanks for the update. Stay safe.

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
Well, Cameron Parrish (SW Louisiana) was obliterated, and extreme damage was caused in Lake Charles, with I-10 closed from the Atchafalya all the way into Texas. It'll take them 5-10 years to refurbish the cities.

Houston whistled past the graveyard with lots of rain, and enough wind to knock out power for 75,000 residents. But it could have been a million if Laura tracked a little west from Cameron.

What surprised me was that Laura was still a hurricane up in Shreveport!! Even up in Little rock they're supposed to get tropical storm conditions. This is one for the record books.

Jeff sparks

Verified Member
From
Houston, Texas
Didn’t rain a drop in my yard... very little wind also... we were blessed in Houston, it totally missed us...As predicted, it did land on Lake Charles, but from what they are saying, it didn’t carry the massive tidal surge... maybe it had something to do with its horizontal speed, it was moving along at 15/20 mph and perhaps that didn’t allow enough time for a massive build up of water in front of the hurricane...
still lots of wind damage in and around Lake Charles.

12squared

Verified Member
From
Fort Collins, CO
Didn’t rain a drop in my yard... very little wind also... we were blessed in Houston, it totally missed us...As predicted, it did land on Lake Charles, but from what they are saying, it didn’t carry the massive tidal surge... maybe it had something to do with its horizontal speed, it was moving along at 15/20 mph and perhaps that didn’t allow enough time for a massive build up of water in front of the hurricane...
still lots of wind damage in and around Lake Charles.
Happy for you and your family, Jeff.

12squared

Verified Member
From
Fort Collins, CO
Well, Cameron Parrish (SW Louisiana) was obliterated, and extreme damage was caused in Lake Charles, with I-10 closed from the Atchafalya all the way into Texas. It'll take them 5-10 years to refurbish the cities.

Houston whistled past the graveyard with lots of rain, and enough wind to knock out power for 75,000 residents. But it could have been a million if Laura tracked a little west from Cameron.

What surprised me was that Laura was still a hurricane up in Shreveport!! Even up in Little rock they're supposed to get tropical storm conditions. This is one for the record books.
Sounds brutal. Thanks for the update. Sigh