Josh Roberts Game

Trebor

Verified Member
From
Action, USA
I can easily see how much Josh's 1P game has improved over the last 4-5 yrs. I'd say at least a ball and a half to two balls. Dude's a legit threat to beat anyone in the world right now. Sky's the limit for him

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
he has definitely been doing well the pasty year or so...well even better than he had been doing previously and he was already a top 10 player, now he may have broken into top 5/6, thoughts?

(not in any order necessarily)

Tony
Alex
Dennis
Gorst/Filler
Frost/Chip/Busty/Roberts

BRLongArm

Verified Member
he has definitely been doing well the pasty year or so...well even better than he had been doing previously and he was already a top 10 player, now he may have broken into top 5/6, thoughts?

(not in any order necessarily)

Tony
Alex
Dennis
Gorst/Filler
Frost/Chip/Busty/Roberts
Easy on that. He's in the top 10, but top 5? He wouldn't like to play Chip, SVB, Frost, Dennis, TRex, Alex, would he? What about Busty? More importantly, with the emergence of Roberts, Biado, Garcia, Lunda and Calderon, who has fallen? JHall, Deuel, Gomez?

BRLongArm

Verified Member
I think his improvement has come in the last 18 months. I agree he is now a legitimate threat.
Agree it is a recent thing. But he has made the jump to contender status. That 5-0 of Pagulayan at Buffalos was impressive. He played perfectly.

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
Easy on that. He's in the top 10, but top 5? He wouldn't like to play Chip, SVB, Frost, Dennis, TRex, Alex, would he? What about Busty? More importantly, with the emergence of Roberts, Biado, Garcia, Lunda and Calderon, who has fallen? JHall, Deuel, Gomez?
You are probably right but he sure has stepped up as of late! What does your top 10 look like now? I guess we should still include busty and dennis even though they havent been able to play lately. Filler too...

catkins

Verified Member
From
boulder creek ca
Iliked watching josh play one ball one pocket as well thoght he though more about the game than most and I like his over all thought process. Inoticed alex was willing to leave him more open shots than some other players and his nerves I think lost him the second set

Reactions: lll

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
ICBW, but I have gotten the impression that Roberts is uber talented, and obviously has been working on his 1P game. But I also have the sense that his "heart" is not as strong as some of the others-- certainly Alex P's. The great players can come from behind, while some of the others might fold.

His 5-0 drubbing of Alex was impressive but, OTOH, Alex was off his game for much of the tournament. He rose to occasion later on.

Parenthetically I was impressed, but not overly so, with Gorst's 1P game. He's obviously very talented, and is a lethal shot maker, but IMO it'll be a little while yet before he's at the tip top.

catkins

Verified Member
From
boulder creek ca
I agree about gorst. He is a threat to beat any one but I feel he does not understand the way to beat every one like the top players do. watching tony and even more so alex , I fell like alex manages to adjust his game every time to his opponent and figurees out the way to dominate the game. 3 sets in a row I saw him lose the first 2/3 and win the next 5

jrhendy

Verified Member
From
Placerville, CA
I agree about gorst. He is a threat to beat any one but I feel he does not understand the way to beat every one like the top players do. watching tony and even more so alex , I fell like alex manages to adjust his game every time to his opponent and figurees out the way to dominate the game. 3 sets in a row I saw him lose the first 2/3 and win the next 5
I think Alex was not 100% Chris, and he still played wonderful. I know he had some sinus problems before the tournament, and if you have watched him play as many times as I have, you could tell by his body language he was struggling a bit sometimes, but he still almost got there. He is still number one in my book, but T-Rex is the big dog at Buffalos.

sneakynito

Verified Member
From
Houston, TX
I can easily see how much Josh's 1P game has improved over the last 4-5 yrs. I'd say at least a ball and a half to two balls. Dude's a legit threat to beat anyone in the world right now. Sky's the limit for him
I dunno, I don't really think Sky would give him much trouble.

BRLongArm

Verified Member
Gorst is top 10 based on his cue ball and ball running. He is still learning, but Dennis was top 5 and was still learning. So there's that.

Trebor

Verified Member
From
Action, USA
Joe do you like Gorst over Filler? I thought Filler was the new young hot shot straight pool transplant destined to be the next 1 hole stud.