Johnston city 1970

Ross Keith Thompson

Verified Member
From
madisonville, texas
When I played the al around against Wimpy Lassiter and Ronnie Allen I was the man, excuse me the Boy that wasn’t supposed to be there.

I played as good as I could play. I came at both opponents as hard as I could.

I had touch with my cue ball and won most of the lags for first break.

I had power in my stroke and crashed into the nine ball racks like a naval gun going off on heavy cruiser from ww2 parking my rock near center table every game.

Even though I lost to both players at their best game my 4-2 record held up!

The al around winner came down to one match of nine ball in a race to eleven.

My head was swollen and I wanted to give the fans something special if I could. I blew Ronnie away with 5 straight racks from opening bell, parking my rock near center table after each break, he couldn’t recover even though he gave a valiant effort he was a beaten man in front of our peers.

After winning my third and last match against Lassiter we shook hands like gentleman and he told me I was the best young player he’d ever seen play, that came from from the best player I’ve ever known!

Irving Crane also told me the same after we played in the nine ball division a week earlier.

I’ve carried those words all my life from two giants of the game. It was the greatest words that was ever spoken to me by two legends!

That was the best I could do in 1970 against the largest field up to then. 118 players.

Life was good back in the day!
Thank you for reading my story!

sorackem

Well-Known-Member
It is a nice feeling to excel at something you love and have put such dedication towards. To be able to demonstrate your understanding, instinct and touch with people you know understand what they're seeing.
It would have been great to see you play.
Thanks for sharing.

12squared

Verified Member
From
Fort Collins, CO
Thanks for sharing these memories from your glory years. Sounds like their compliments were sincere and deserved...Congratulations! If I were remembering and writing something like this, I would have had a tear or two with a big smile on my face. Now go dry your eyes, LOL.

I was lucky enough to meet all 3 in your story, Crane, Whimpy and Ronnie although Ronnie was much later. I wish you were included in this group.

Last edited:

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
Great story as always! I wish there were videos back then as I would love to have seen some of the greatest players like yourself play the game. Thanks for sharing!

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
thanks for sharing that memory keith
nice to have you posting again
hope all is well
stay safe
larry

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
When I played the al around against Wimpy Lassiter and Ronnie Allen I was the man, excuse me the Boy that wasn’t supposed to be there.

I played as good as I could play. I came at both opponents as hard as I could.

I had touch with my cue ball and won most of the lags for first break.

I had power in my stroke and crashed into the nine ball racks like a naval gun going off on heavy cruiser from ww2 parking my rock near center table every game.

Even though I lost to both players at their best game my 4-2 record held up!

The al around winner came down to one match of nine ball in a race to eleven.

My head was swollen and I wanted to give the fans something special if I could. I blew Ronnie away with 5 straight racks from opening bell, parking my rock near center table after each break, he couldn’t recover even though he gave a valiant effort he was a beaten man in front of our peers.

After winning my third and last match against Lassiter we shook hands like gentleman and he told me I was the best young player he’d ever seen play, that came from from the best player I’ve ever known!

Irving Crane also told me the same after we played in the nine ball division a week earlier.

I’ve carried those words all my life from two giants of the game. It was the greatest words that was ever spoken to me by two legends!

That was the best I could do in 1970 against the largest field up to then. 118 players.

Life was good back in the day!
Thank you for reading my story!
Keith, you will always be recognized as one of the greatest young champions of all time. For years after you won Johnson City, we would talk about how great of a feat it was for a player your age to accomplish what you did, it was unreal. Lassiter and Crane were the two best players in the world at that time and for them to endorse you as they did would make anyone walk with pride forever.

Loved your story, I was there and it brings back memories of how great life was.

Stay safe my friend.

Bill Incardona

FastEddieF.

Verified Member
Great Story Ross, I met a guy you hung out with in Atlantic, his name is Dwight. Blevins. He told me you him and David Howard hung out together. He lives in Baltimore Md. TakeCare FastEddieF.

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
Squirrel
Sorry I missed you in houston, enjoy your stories very much.
Hope your brother is well.
Rodney.
P.S. Duke says hello.

baby huey

Verified Member
Keith, we met for the second time outside Boggies as you were leaving at the last event for seniors. We had a great conversation that night. The first time we met was in Los Angeles and we played One Pocket for $30/game. I was pretty frisky back then and lost about $150. I remember Buttermilk brought into the room. I thought something was up but didn't trust my instincts not to play you but what the hell, that's how you make scores. You can't win unless you play. I was interested in talking to you about a book you might be writing? Is that still in the works? I hope you get that accomplished. Stay safe.