Johnny Irish

BackPocket9Ball

Verified Member
From
Philadelphia
I suppose this could be considered for the Hall of Fame Discussion thread, but since his name's not even on the ballot, I don't really know if it belongs there.

First let me say that I never saw him play, and I have never seen many of the oldest players play, but from what I've heard from old timers in NYC who saw almost every great player play, in his prime he was perhaps one of the best one pocket players ever.

Anyway, no offense to San Jose Dick, Cokes, Fats, Spaeth, Heisler, Mexican Johnny, Jr. Goff, or Monk, but I think Irish would have been the favorite over each of them (all of whom are on the ballot).

Anyone can feel free to correct me if I'm wrong. this is just my opinion.

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
Tops that whole list

Tops that whole list

BackPocket9Ball said:
I suppose this could be considered for the Hall of Fame Discussion thread, but since his name's not even on the ballot, I don't really know if it belongs there.

First let me say that I never saw him play, and I have never seen many of the oldest players play, but from what I've heard from old timers in NYC who saw almost every great player play, in his prime he was perhaps one of the best one pocket players ever.

Anyway, no offense to San Jose Dick, Cokes, Fats, Spaeth, Heisler, Mexican Johnny, Jr. Goff, or Monk, but I think Irish would have been the favorite over each of them (all of whom are on the ballot).

The first year I went to Miami was the first year that Johnny Irish Lineen didnt show up. He was ill and died soon after, so I never got to see him play. However, I determined from the stories from all the players who did show up,and it was a considerable batch of top players, Irish would have beaten handily the whole group you have listed above. There was a slew of top players hanging out at Kramers Cue and Cushion on 79th st. Fats, Skinner, Camp, Danny Di, Staton Island, Brooklyn Jimmy, Little Miami, Peter Rabbit, Tony Scarface, Harry Cohen, etc. Irish was rated head and shoulders above them all. That's all I know.

Beard

Beard

senor

Verified Member
BackPocket9Ball said:

What's up BPN? Long time no post. Can anyone in NYC even spell one pocket? J/K my friend, good to see you post.

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
with a name like yours ( alluding to a game not commonly played) it does not surprise me you bring up something that is out of timing.bring it up next year. imho

BackPocket9Ball

Verified Member
From
Philadelphia
lll said:
with a name like yours ( alluding to a game not commonly played) it does not surprise me you bring up something that is out of timing.bring it up next year. imho

I don't quite understand what "back pocket 9-ball" has to do with poor timing. That aside, I brought it up because Irish was on the ballot last year and not this year.

BackPocket9Ball

Verified Member
From
Philadelphia
senor said:
What's up BPN? Long time no post. Can anyone in NYC even spell one pocket? J/K my friend, good to see you post.

I live in Philly now, Senor, but NYC has many that can play one pocket at a high level, just not many willing to gamble at one pocket :)

By the way, do you know if Sonny D. still has his room on NASA Rd 1?

lfigueroa

Verified Member
BackPocket9Ball said:

Everything I've heard makes him out as a killer 1pocket player, probably far out in front of some already in the HOF.

Whenever I go into an Irish pub somewhere and they almost invariably have all those black and white photos of Irish sports figures on the walls -- usually boxers -- I always wonder if they'd put up a photo of him if they knew how good he was.

Lou Figueroa

senor

Verified Member
BackPocket9Ball said:
I live in Philly now, Senor, but NYC has many that can play one pocket at a high level, just not many willing to gamble at one pocket :)

By the way, do you know if Sonny D. still has his room on NASA Rd 1?

Been a while since I been out and about, but I am pretty sure it is not still open.

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
lfigueroa said:
Everything I've heard makes him out as a killer 1pocket player, probably far out in front of some already in the HOF.

Whenever I go into an Irish pub somewhere and they almost invariably have all those black and white photos of Irish sports figures on the walls -- usually boxers -- I always wonder if they'd put up a photo of him if they knew how good he was.

Lou Figueroa
backpocket9ball sounds like you have a second to nominate johnny next year. i guess johnny's picture would have to go next to dick's.:D