JOHN The Hunter

jrhendy

Verified Member
From
Placerville, CA
Well, I am really not a Hunter, but this is a story about the only time I did go hunting. I had shot 22's a few times but I had never even picked up or shot with a shotgun until my friend talked me into going duck hunting at the Salton Sea in CA.

We lived in southern CA just outside Los Angeles, so it was a couple hour drive to get to the hunting spot.

First thing was to get me a license and a shotgun, so I rented a 12 gauge from the local sporting goods store and got my license and a box of shells. Now we are all set to bag some ducks.

We get to the Salton Sea just before daylight, buy a bunch of palm fronds and set up a blind. The weather is bad and there are only five or six other guys hunting.

They set up the decoys and we wait for the ducks. Here they come and there are lots of them and pretty soon everyone has there limit of two ducks except me, and they are patiently waiting for me to get one so they can get out of the crappy weather and go home.

I had never shot with a shotgun before. Here come the ducks, boom, boom, boom, no duck yet. This goes on a few more times and now the game warden shows up. He heard all the shooting and figures somebody is going over their limit.

More ducks come in and he is watching me. Boom, boom, boom, no duck. He walks over to me and says, 'I can see you are never going to get one. Go down to the end of the levee here and there is a pond with some wounded ducks in it. Shoot yourself a couple and lets go home'.

It took me three shots to get two ducks.:D