John Schmidt vs. the One Pocket Ghost

12squared

Verified Member
From
Fort Collins, CO
Hi all,

Since there was so much interest and fun activities regarding 5-rack (one pocket ghost x 5 racks), I thought I'd share what I learned today.

I spoke with John today and we started talking about the one pocket ghost and I mentioned I had a few 15s with no ball in hand after the break, he said "well, I don't want to rain on your parade, but I...":

- ...ran three 15s in a row and it's on video on Jerry McWorter's phone.
Conditions and equipment: Gold Crown; 4 7/8" pockets; new cloth; and polished balls.

- ...ran a 73 in 5-rack in 2010 witnessed by Larry Wilming from WV.
Conditions and equipment: Diamond; 4.5" pockets; new cloth; polished balls and dry air. (4-15s, 1-13 total)

WOW!!!!! (Needless to say, he rained on my parade. :LOL::LOL::ROFLMAO:o_O)

In case you only thought he could play 14.1! John's a great player, I'm amazed at the above accomplishments.

Dave <------ damp parade LOL

Last edited:

12squared

Verified Member
From
Fort Collins, CO
incredible shooting,,, wow ,, but the one pocket ghost is all about running balls like 14.1 not about actually playing one pocket,, with the moves and kicks and banks.
All true as usual, beatle. But he does that stuff pretty well too. I just thought it would be interesting to those of us that have been playing the ghost during lockdown.

I think it's amazing.

Last edited:

Billy Jackets

Verified Member
Hi all,

Since there was so much interest and fun activities regarding 5-rack (one pocket ghost x 5 racks), I thought I'd share what I learned today.

I spoke with John today and we started talking about the one pocket ghost and I mentioned I had a few 15s with no ball in hand after the break, he said "well, I don't want to rain on your parade, but I...":

Conditions and equipment: Gold Crown; 4 7/8" pockets; new cloth; and polished balls.

Conditions and equipment: Diamond; 4.5" pockets; new cloth; polished balls and dry air. (4-15s, 1-13 total)

In case you only thought he could play 14.1! John's a great player, I'm amazed at the above accomplishments.

73 without ball in hand after the break, is probably a record that will never be broken ? Either way.

Cory in dc

Verified Member
Hi all,

Thanks for sharing. Let's just hope certain AZ Billiards folks don't notice that, as there are now about 1m posts affirming and disputing John's accomplishments.

sheldon

Verified Member
From
Springfield Oregon
Schmidt does play pretty good one pocket. I enjoyed watching the match he played against Frost, where they both owed a TON of balls before it was over. Frost commentates the game in the review section of Power One Pocket II.

litecoin junkie

Verified Member
The 73 I broke and shot from where CB layed.no ball in hand.i break off side of rack and go 2 rails out to middle.it was a diamond but perfect new cloth, polished balls, super dry air.it took me about 30 sets over a couple months.i would try a set or two a day 5 days a week or so.
My best 5 rack scores over the years is 60, 61, 61, 62, 65, 65, 68.,71,73.
My fondest memory of one pocket ghost is from 04 that I'd like to tell and then I have about 4 bazillion high stakes one pocket matches that I think the group would truly dig that I might start telling.if I start getting harassed and beliitled like I used to on Azbilliards then I will run and hide .i haven't been on azb in like 7 years and never will.
I'm hoping this could be a place I can chat, tell stories and trust me I have some doozies

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
The 73 I broke and shot from where CB layed.no ball in hand.i break off side of rack and go 2 rails out to middle.it was a diamond but perfect new cloth, polished balls, super dry air.it took me about 30 sets over a couple months.i would try a set or two a day 5 days a week or so.
My best 5 rack scores over the years is 60, 61, 61, 62, 65, 65, 68.,71,73.
My fondest memory of one pocket ghost is from 04 that I'd like to tell and then I have about 4 bazillion high stakes one pocket matches that I think the group would truly dig that I might start telling.if I start getting harassed and beliitled like I used to on Azbilliards then I will run and hide .i haven't been on azb in like 7 years and never will.
I'm hoping this could be a place I can chat, tell stories and trust me I have some doozies
Welcome to the site John! Those are some amazing scores, very well done!

I am sure a lot of us would love to hear those stories you mentioned and I really look forward to seeing some of your WWYD posts on how you would approach a shot in certain circumstances...

As far as AZB, sorry to hear that and hopefully you have found a home at onepocket.org. :)

Space

I'm new here as well but welcome. I'm looking forward to reading some of your stories.

litecoin junkie

Verified Member
My wife is constantly telling me I should write all these stories down as I will forget them but there's no chance I'll forget them but there's also no chance that I'll write them all down .
this forum will probably be the closest thing to me writing them down as I like ispeak to text.
it's way too much work to write all these stories down but I would like to tell some of them . they are a gigantic part of my mental Rolodex of exciting times excruciating pain and uncertainty.

Here is the only time I've gambled at the one pocket ghostthat I can recall .I was in Atlanta in 04 at a 9-ball tournament and a nice old fellow named Billy about 75 years old told me he would let me play the 15 ball ghost and offer me 4to1 per rack on the money my 200 against his 800 .
so I agreed with one stipulation I told him as long as I can pick the table ,so of course I'm going to pick a gold crown with big pockets and new cloth and polish balls and give it a shot at 4to1 is still a scary tough proposition that only a top-flight player would even attempt.
So I go to break the balls and Billy says to me which pocket are you taking and I was confused I said what do you mean Billy I thought I'm playing the 15 ball ghost rotation take breaking ball in hand and run them 1 through 15 in numerical order .
he laughed and said no no no the one pocket ghost which pocket are you breaking too.
now I was extremely unsure as I had never played the one pocket ghost before as this was in 2004 and I never really seen it at this time it was commonplace to get ball in hand after the break so anyways I break the balls scared to death because I figure I'm in a terrible game and I'm going to lose all my money and I take break ball in hand and I run 15 and out .
Billy disgusted pays me the 800 and says Rack Em Up let's see that again the next rack I run 13 balls in the 14th ball is a long relatively tough bank that if I make I would then have to bank the 15th ball and I look at Billy and say can I settle out of court for a hundred he laughs and says no chance I've seen you bank before ,I somehow make the bank shaking like a leaf. I look at the 15th ball and I say Billy I'll settle out of court for 200 he says no chance I make the 15th ball banking it in about a hundred miles an hour out of fear and adrenaline and I think the ball got a little airborne and still went in thank God and he quit and that was the scariest $1,600 I've ever won as I had never seen the one pocket ghost before now .
I know this story sounds like b******* but there is about 50 good players and Spectators that stood there and watch this and I'm sure somebody from Georgia or Atlanta area that was there that night can confirm exactly what I just said.ive only run 15,15 about 25 times in life so to do it then for 800 a game staking myself was something I'll never forget.