Jason Miller vs. Piggy Banks 2004 DCC

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
Since I need to stay familiar with the WEI table because the Duck is always calling and asking about certain shots and, most particularly, bank shots, I thought I'd refresh my memory with it tonight:) .

It's the first game of their match and Piggy suffered the misfortune of breaking and not making a ball. Jason Miller ran 5 & out from here. How would you do it?

P.S. I have the rack at the wrong end but it doesn't matter playing banks (for this layout anyway:p )

[CUETABLE]http://CueTable.com/P/?@4AATM4BBww3CSfS4Dakf2EaJv2FaHV4GRoi3HSvD2IaOr4PaWX@[/CUETABLE]

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
Cowboy Dennis said:
Since I need to stay familiar with the WEI table because the Duck is always calling and asking about certain shots and, most particularly, bank shots, I thought I'd refresh my memory with it tonight:) .

It's the first game of their match and Piggy suffered the misfortune of breaking and not making a ball. Jason Miller ran 5 & out from here. How would you do it?

P.S. I have the rack at the wrong end but it doesn't matter playing banks (for this layout anyway:p )

[CUETABLE]http://CueTable.com/P/?@4AATM4BBww3CSfS4Dakf2EaJv2FaHV4GRoi3HSvD2IaOr4PaWX@[/CUETABLE]
Maybe,
2-ball cross corner
7 cross side
1 cross corner
4 cross corner
and 9 cross side

He could have crossed the 9 in the side to start with, using the 6-ball as a stopper -- and maybe banking the 6 cross corner after the 9, depending on where it landed after running into it. But the reason I started with the cross corner on the 2-ball instead was that it looks like he had a more comfortable bridge out of the side pocket toward the 2-ball than straight across towards the 9.

CaliRed

Verified Member
From
Heart of the Midwest
NH Steve said:
Maybe,
2-ball cross corner
7 cross side
1 cross corner
4 cross corner
and 9 cross side

He could have crossed the 9 in the side to start with, using the 6-ball as a stopper -- and maybe banking the 6 cross corner after the 9, depending on where it landed after running into it. But the reason I started with the cross corner on the 2-ball instead was that it looks like he had a more comfortable bridge out of the side pocket toward the 2-ball than straight across towards the 9.

That would be pretty much my game plan too, but us mortals, we tend to have to focus more on making the bank, which tends to let our cueball drift a bit:D Then we have to readjust our game plan. In addition, we don't have the confidence that we're going to make every bank, so we're scared of leaving the opponent a easy out in case we miss. But I guess in this game, there's no room for "what if"... you just got to go for it!

But I would certainly start with the 2.

blackeee

Verified Member
From
Jackson, Tn
Cowboy Dennis said:

9 cross-side,7straight back left,2 cross corner,4 cross corner, 6 cross corner or cross side.

CaliRed

Verified Member
From
Heart of the Midwest
I'm not understanding why anyone would want to shoot the 9 first. Your cueing from about a inch off the rail and you have to run into another ball! A person is never positive about what is going to happen to the cueball when having to hit cut one ball , hit a rail and then run into another ball. Plus because your so close to the rail and the 9 ball is so close to it's rail, you can't do much with the cueball, as far as putting anything on it, very easily.

Can you guys that support the 9 ball, are you shooting it because it's a easier bank?

I'm just curious why you guys like the 9 ball, when it involved all the variables of cueing off the rail, cutting a object ball, hitting a rail, then hitting another ball?

Not arguing with your choices, just trying to better understand them:)

Banks

Verified Member
From
Portland, OR
I kinda like 2 7 8 1 3 and not even having to leave the middle of the table, with everything being a side shot except the 1 - edit: I guess the 2 isn't a side shot.. doh.

The 9 is tempting, but it could easily get you into trouble with an awkward leave for a long bank, or worse yet, the 6 could get kicked into the path of a future bank.

Last edited:

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
CaliRed said:
I'm not understanding why anyone would want to shoot the 9 first. Your cueing from about a inch off the rail and you have to run into another ball! A person is never positive about what is going to happen to the cueball when having to hit cut one ball , hit a rail and then run into another ball. Plus because your so close to the rail and the 9 ball is so close to it's rail, you can't do much with the cueball, as far as putting anything on it, very easily.

Can you guys that support the 9 ball, are you shooting it because it's a easier bank?

I'm just curious why you guys like the 9 ball, when it involved all the variables of cueing off the rail, cutting a object ball, hitting a rail, then hitting another ball?

Not arguing with your choices, just trying to better understand them:)
Greg,

The 9 is the easiest shot and gives you a chance to establish a rythmn, very important for your first shot. The balls are worth so much playing banks that you don't always consider where the cueball is going, just make the bank.

Here's what Jason shot:

He made a whale of a hit on the 7 ball.

[CUETABLE]http://CueTable.com/P/?@4AATM4BBww3CSfS4Dakf2EaJv2FaHV4GRoi3HSvD2IaOr4PaWX@4AATM4BBww3CSfS4Dakf2EaJv2FaHV4GRoi3HSvD2IaOr4PaWX2aaHV2abFg2aBUj1aLGq2daOr2dcbm4devH4kaWX2kWeB2kYBE2kaPP2kbuW2kDlw@4AATM4BBww3CSfS4Dakf2EaJv1FLGq4GRoi3HSvD4IevH2PDlw@4AATM4BBww3CSfS4Dakf2EaJv1FLGq4GRoi3HSvD4IevH2PDlw2YaJv2YcfC1YdWt2kDlw2kWoq2kaRc2kXFQ@4AATM4BBww3CSfS4Dakf1EdWt1FLGq4GRoi3HSvD4IevH2PXFQ@4AATM4BBww3CSfS4Dakf1EdWt1FLGq4GRoi3HSvD4IevH2PXFQ1aLGq1abyK2acQt2kXFQ1kJSm1kNTJ@4AATM4BBww3CSfS4Dakf1EdWt2FcQt4GRoi3HSvD4IevH1PNTJ@4AATM4BBww3CSfS4Dakf1EdWt2FcQt4GRoi3HSvD4IevH1PNTJ4bRoi4bThl1bcJA1kNTJ4kRoR4kSMk@4AATM4BBww3CSfS4Dakf1EdWt2FcQt1GcJA3HSvD4IevH4PSMk@4AATM4BBww3CSfS4Dakf1EdWt2FcQt1GcJA3HSvD4IevH4PSMk4VBww3VbHj4Vdno4kSMk4kEBo@[/CUETABLE]

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
dennis keep up with you wei-ing we all enjoy it:)
no matter which forum
i liked the 9 ball bank to start out because the left hand placement seemed better than having to deal with the metal part of the side pocket for bridging
not being sure where the 6 would go i didnt post my sequence:eek:
however i would have played the 6 next instead of the 5

curious when john b gets around to seeing this thread his comments

p.s.
kudos to steve booth for maknig this section available to us:)

John Brumback

Verified Member
Cowboy Dennis said:
Greg,

The 9 is the easiest shot and gives you a chance to establish a rythmn, very important for your first shot. The balls are worth so much playing banks that you don't always consider where the cueball is going, just make the bank.

Here's what Jason shot:

He made a whale of a hit on the 7 ball.

[CUETABLE]http://CueTable.com/P/?@4AATM4BBww3CSfS4Dakf2EaJv2FaHV4GRoi3HSvD2IaOr4PaWX@4AATM4BBww3CSfS4Dakf2EaJv2FaHV4GRoi3HSvD2IaOr4PaWX2aaHV2abFg2aBUj1aLGq2daOr2dcbm4devH4kaWX2kWeB2kYBE2kaPP2kbuW2kDlw@4AATM4BBww3CSfS4Dakf2EaJv1FLGq4GRoi3HSvD4IevH2PDlw@4AATM4BBww3CSfS4Dakf2EaJv1FLGq4GRoi3HSvD4IevH2PDlw2YaJv2YcfC1YdWt2kDlw2kWoq2kaRc2kXFQ@4AATM4BBww3CSfS4Dakf1EdWt1FLGq4GRoi3HSvD4IevH2PXFQ@4AATM4BBww3CSfS4Dakf1EdWt1FLGq4GRoi3HSvD4IevH2PXFQ1aLGq1abyK2acQt2kXFQ1kJSm1kNTJ@4AATM4BBww3CSfS4Dakf1EdWt2FcQt4GRoi3HSvD4IevH1PNTJ@4AATM4BBww3CSfS4Dakf1EdWt2FcQt4GRoi3HSvD4IevH1PNTJ4bRoi4bThl1bcJA1kNTJ4kRoR4kSMk@4AATM4BBww3CSfS4Dakf1EdWt2FcQt1GcJA3HSvD4IevH4PSMk@4AATM4BBww3CSfS4Dakf1EdWt2FcQt1GcJA3HSvD4IevH4PSMk4VBww3VbHj4Vdno4kSMk4kEBo@[/CUETABLE]

I like your thinking Dennis,very good! For me...In a ring game I would start with the 2 ball, then the 7 then 4 and so on,But In a tourny or bettin I start with the easy 9 ball for the same reason dennis stated,and go from there. I think I have that tape but I'm a little confused as to how Jason started with the 7?

I think one problem that alot people have Is that they look at the whole lay out and try to come up with a pattern to runout from the start.That's not how I play. Like Dennis said each and every ball Is huge playing banks and you better do whatever you can to get every ball you can. I'd say maybe 1 out of 100 will someone run the whole pattern from the way they see It from the start. Banks Is hard enough without trying to play perfect shape on all those balls. Yeah It would be nice to do that but It's hard to do. I just play It one ball at a time.Yeah I'm hoping to get a bunch but I'm not going to worry about It If I get out of line. As soon as I do I'll just look for a free shot.
That's how I like to play anyway. I'll check back later and get back In on this somemore. Oh and I'v played with Jason quite a bit. He does like to go for the runout alot! He is very offensive minded. Me...not so much. John B.

John Brumback

Verified Member
lll said:
dennis keep up with you wei-ing we all enjoy it:)
no matter which forum
i liked the 9 ball bank to start out because the left hand placement seemed better than having to deal with the metal part of the side pocket for bridging
not being sure where the 6 would go i didnt post my sequence:eek:
however i would have played the 6 next instead of the 5

curious when john b gets around to seeing this thread his comments

p.s.
kudos to steve booth for maknig this section available to us:)

I have commented above but I will somemore later, yeah,That's to bad that ole table has some big ole metal piece sticking up In the way.lol Glad I get to play on Diamonds.lol John B.

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
John Brumback said:
I'm a little confused as to how Jason started with the 7?
John, he didn't start with the 7 ball he started with the 9.

On the lower rail of the WEI table you will see this <1|10>. This is the "page up/page down" tool for the WEI table. Put your cursor arrow on the 10 and left-click. It will show you the first shot that Jason shot. Keep clicking on it until you've seen all 10 pages that I put in the WEI table. I take you through the runout one shot at a time.

Dennis

John Brumback

Verified Member
Cowboy Dennis said:
John, he didn't start with the 7 ball he started with the 9.

On the lower rail of the WEI table you will see this <1|10>. This is the "page up/page down" tool for the WEI table. Put your cursor arrow on the 10 and left-click. It will show you the first shot that Jason shot. Keep clicking on it until you've seen all 10 pages that I put in the WEI table. I take you through the runout one shot at a time.

Dennis

Well I'll be darn.....Uh did not know you could do that,learn something every day LOL Thank ya, Yep that looks like a Jason Miller runout!! I'v been on the wrong end of some of those runouts too!! Yeah! I kept looking at that thinking how or why the hell Is he going to make the 7 ball!!! LOL. I know for sure In a tourny match I start with the 9 but I wasen't to sure what Jason started with.I thought that maybe with the style he likes to play that he might start with the 2. He hit's that 2ball shot real good too. Matter a fact, he hits em all good seems like.Boy, he can put a string together In a hurry too.lol. He don't waste much time when he gets going either. John B.

Big Jim

Verified Member
From
Southern, Indiana
playing Jason Miller

playing Jason Miller

John, i played Miller about 4 years ago in the BCA U.S. open bank pool championship which you won. I had him 7-1 two games in a row, and he banked out on me both times and won the set. I did beat Gabe Owens that year tho, i came in 9th.
Big Jim

newfosgatesucks

Verified Member
9, punch the 6 two rails out.
Preferably the 5 then the 6
I want that 7 straight back, then the 2.

Piggy hits those cross corners like a dream, I suspect he started the way Dennis would.

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
newfosgatesucks said:
9, punch the 6 two rails out.
Preferably the 5 then the 6
I want that 7 straight back, then the 2.

Piggy hits those cross corners like a dream, I suspect he started the way Dennis would.
NFS,

Piggy started the game by breaking dry and sitting down. It's Miller shooting:) .
Cowboy Dennis said:

Dennis