J. Parica vs. J. Schmidt 2002 D.C.C. #2

newfosgatesucks

Verified Member
Needing all 3 I would roll the 10 in and position the CB on the cushion such that the 15 blocked the cross bank on the (1) ball nearest my pocket. Because you aren't in the game with a ball tied up.

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
newfosgatesucks said:
Needing all 3 I would roll the 10 in and position the CB on the cushion such that the 15 blocked the cross bank on the (1) ball nearest my pocket. Because you aren't in the game with a ball tied up.
nfs you made my day:)
you are many levels above me in skill and expereince but thats just what i was thinking before i read your post:eek: (serious)

bstroud

Verified Member
Leave the 10 ball alone. Cross the 15 to your side and bring the cue ball back up table. He will then probably shoot the 9 away from your side but will probably give up a bank on the 15.

The 10 is blocking end rail banks to his pocket so you may get a free bank on the 15 if you put it in the correct place. Not too close to the side rail.

The real part of this shot is to Freeze the cue ball to the rail or at least get it very close.

Bill Stroud

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
bstroud said:
Leave the 10 ball alone. Cross the 15 to your side and bring the cue ball back up table. He will then probably shoot the 9 away from your side but will probably give up a bank on the 15.

The 10 is blocking end rail banks to his pocket so you may get a free bank on the 15 if you put it in the correct place. Not too close to the side rail.

The real part of this shot is to Freeze the cue ball to the rail or at least get it very close.

Bill Stroud
Bill unless im seeing this differently only the narrowest angle banks is the 10 blocking:confused:

Rod

Verified Member
From
Phoenix, Az
I've been quiet for a long time, here is my take on this. In this case I'm looking to survive and try to stay on the offense (even though its very little). I would do as Bill suggested but a kiss lingers. If it I hit a decent shot my opponent has to take a risk or play safe. I don't like making the 10 even if I hit the safe perfect. All that does is bring three balls into play. I already have problems and do not need any more. If I live through this round it may get better.

Rod

SJDinPHX

Suspended
Rod said:
I've been quiet for a long time, here is my take on this. In this case I'm looking to survive and try to stay on the offense (even though its very little). I would do as Bill suggested but a kiss lingers. If it I hit a decent shot my opponent has to take a risk or play safe. I don't like making the 10 even if I hit the safe perfect. All that does is bring three balls into play. I already have problems and do not need any more. If I live through this round it may get better.

Rod

You must have nodded off Rod, :rolleyes:...Its Schmidts shot, and HE's the one who needs them ALL...Why wouldn't he want all the balls in play ? :confused: :confused: :p

Rod

Verified Member
From
Phoenix, Az
Nodded off, hell I was snoring! Well since you ask I answered the question -- what would you do. That is what I would do. I do not want to try and defend my position bringing three balls into play with him needing one. What John did is another matter.

A pro player might like that option, or maybe not.

Rod

vapros

Verified Member
From
baton rouge, la
I would one-rail the yellow ball and get it near my pocket. As soon as I get left somewhere other than the foot rail, I will bank the 15. Not dead yet.

wgcp

Verified Member
From
long beach, mississippi
If you are going to go for the gusto, why not rocket the nine back to you corner... the cue will go three rails, one rail the fifteen and leave the cue uptable to do the trick/circus shot on the last ball off the tit of the side back to your corner... Of course several shots of tequila may help...lol

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
I would drop in the 10-ball and roll down the rail -- it looks totally natural.

I don't like the bank on that far stripe several of you are advocating -- looks like a kiss to me. If not, it sure is a tough shot to hit with any accuracy from stuck on the bottom rail with the cue ball -- and a lot of bad things that could happen with an inaccurate hit.

This is simple:

Attachments

• Greenshot_2011-05-31_07-19-07.jpg
    Greenshot_2011-05-31_07-19-07.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 0

Scrzbill

Verified Member
From
Eagles Rest, Wa
bstroud said:

Bill Stroud

Yours is the safe way. When a ball is locked up like the ten, I leave it alone. Knowing Smitty, he probably fired the nine and played shape on the twelve. I would bank the nine if a gun was pointed at me.

Scrzbill

Verified Member
From
Eagles Rest, Wa
NH Steve said:
I would drop in the 10-ball and roll down the rail -- it looks totally natural.

I don't like the bank on that far stripe several of you are advocating -- looks like a kiss to me. If not, it sure is a tough shot to hit with any accuracy from stuck on the bottom rail with the cue ball -- and a lot of bad things that could happen with an inaccurate hit.

This is simple:

It's not simple on slippery cloth and you let Parika have another ball to shoot. One ball at a time. I have seen John lose the one pocket tournament in 02 by not playing one more shot safe. Instead, he went for the hero shot and Parika ran out.

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
A way to look at it

A way to look at it

bstroud said:

Bill Stroud

One way to look at these situations is to make believe someone is going to sock you in the 'effen head if you make a mistake and lose the game on this shot. That will bring pause to the max cut, big kiss possibility bank on the 15, or the roll the 10 in and move the cue ball perfectly afterwards so that you dont give up a bank on the 9, or the 15, or on the 10 ball after it gets spotted. (Needing one, the player would have no problem going for that shot and attempting to leave a tough angle on the 9.)
Cross the 15 and wait for a better opportunity. Trying to win the game on every shot is a bad policy. If you exercise patience, its amazing the dumb things your oppo is liable to do if you wait and give him a chance to do so.
The attitude to have is to imagine your oppo is going to do something stupid before you do. Instead of the negative perspective that your oppo is going to do miracles if you dont do drastic things on your inning.
Approach it a little bit like Artie B. He thought everybody he played was a dunce and thought it was just a matter of time before they handed him the game.

Beard

petie

Verified Member
From
Citrus Springs, FL
fred bentivegna said:
One way to look at these situations is to make believe someone is going to sock you in the 'effen head if you make a mistake and lose the game on this shot. That will bring pause to the max cut, big kiss possibility bank on the 15, or the roll the 10 in and move the cue ball perfectly afterwards so that you dont give up a bank on the 9, or the 15, or on the 10 ball after it gets spotted. (Needing one, the player would have no problem going for that shot and attempting to leave a tough angle on the 9.)
Cross the 15 and wait for a better opportunity. Trying to win the game on every shot is a bad policy. If you exercise patience, its amazing the dumb things your oppo is liable to do if you wait and give him a chance to do so.
The attitude to have is to imagine your oppo is going to do something stupid before you do. Instead of the negative perspective that your oppo is going to do miracles if you dont do drastic things on your inning.
Approach it a little bit like Artie B. He thought everybody he played was a dunce and thought it was just a matter of time before they handed him the game.

Beard

I love the attitude coaching. It could really be life changing for a one pocket player. OK, now that I have the propper attitude, how do you advocate that I duck?

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
petie said:
I love the attitude coaching. It could really be life changing for a one pocket player. OK, now that I have the propper attitude, how do you advocate that I duck?

Bank the 9 ball pocket speed and hope to get a shot after he moves it.:)
Rod.

petie

Verified Member
From
Citrus Springs, FL
androd said:
Bank the 9 ball pocket speed and hope to get a shot after he moves it.:)
Rod.

Where is whitie after you play the bank on the 9? Below the 10 and you risk leaving an easy cross corner on the 9; above the 10, you have to hit it perfectly or you can still leave a cross corner on the 9. Go too far and you leave a cut on the 15.

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
androd said:
Bank the 9 ball pocket speed and hope to get a shot after he moves it.
Rod.

petie said:
Where is whitie after you play the bank on the 9? Below the 10 and you risk leaving an easy cross corner on the 9; above the 10, you have to hit it perfectly or you can still leave a cross corner on the 9. Go too far and you leave a cut on the 15.

Pocket speed should be about like this.
Rod.

Attachments

• Clipboard01.jpg
    Clipboard01.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 0

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
What I said...

What I said...

petie said:
I love the attitude coaching. It could really be life changing for a one pocket player. OK, now that I have the proper attitude, how do you advocate that I duck?

...and what Billy Stroud said. Cross over the face of the 15 bank and bank it to your side and bring the cue ball back to the cushion on the foot rail. You are waiting for a better opportunity to move the 10 back into play. Your oppo might do it for you if he chooses to bank the 9 or 15 back over to his side from the bad angle that you are going to leave him. Banking the 9 ball as Androd suggested, and leaving the cue ball in the middle of the table, accomplishes nothing, unless you somehow make the bank -- and the way you are shooting it to keep the cue ball safe is the least efficient way of making that bank. If you dont make the bank, it should be an easy shootaway, putting all 3 balls back on your oppo's side.

Beard