J. Parica vs. J. Schmidt 2002 D.C.C. #2

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
fred bentivegna said:
...and what Billy Stroud said. Cross over the face of the 15 bank and bank it to your side and bring the cue ball back to the cushion on the foot rail. You are waiting for a better opportunity to move the 10 back into play. Your oppo might do it for you if he chooses to bank the 9 or 15 back over to his side from the bad angle that you are going to leave him. Banking the 9 ball as Androd suggested, and leaving the cue ball in the middle of the table, accomplishes nothing, unless you somehow make the bank -- and the way you are shooting it to keep the cue ball safe is the least efficient way of making that bank. If you dont make the bank, it should be an easy shootaway, putting all 3 balls back on your oppo's side.

Beard

This is correct. but I prefer it to trying to spin the CB away from the kiss on
the crossover (11/15 ball) you and Stroud recommend. The CB is frozen and trying to jack up and spin to try and beat the kiss doesn't suit my stroke. Following ahead a little seems much easier to me.
Rod.
PS, Of course it may not kiss, but it looks iffy to me.
I also said pocket speed and realized the bank isn't going hitting it like that.

Last edited:

senor

Verified Member
I think I would one rail kick behind the 9 ball, banking it one rail towards the 15, leaving the 15 and 9 close together and leaving the cue ball just about even with 15 and 9. Hopefully my opponent does not leave me another kiss angle, cause the 15 sure looks iffy in the current spot.

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
senor said:
I think I would one rail kick behind the 9 ball, banking it one rail towards the 15, leaving the 15 and 9 close together and leaving the cue ball just about even with 15 and 9. Hopefully my opponent does not leave me another kiss angle, cause the 15 sure looks iffy in the current spot.
This shot ran through my mind as an option and I'm not surprised that you are the one who pointed it out. Even though I am burdened with knowing already what was shot in this spot, when this situation came up I stopped the DVD and looked at the layout. The kick on the 1 ball came to mind but I was trying to come up with something that didn't knock a ball away from my own side. Playing off the 15 and bringing the rock back down to the footrail looks like the best option for me but it's chancy for the kiss. A tough spot no doubt that could have been avoided by JS if he had made his last shot or played it differently.

Dennis

senor

Verified Member
Cowboy Dennis said:
This shot ran through my mind as an option and I'm not surprised that you are the one who pointed it out. Even though I am burdened with knowing already what was shot in this spot, when this situation came up I stopped the DVD and looked at the layout. The kick on the 1 ball came to mind but I was trying to come up with something that didn't knock a ball away from my own side. Playing off the 15 and bringing the rock back down to the footrail looks like the best option for me but it's chancy for the kiss. A tough spot no doubt that could have been avoided by JS if he had made his last shot or played it differently.

Dennis

JMO I don't think the 9 is worth too much being on your side, especially if you can't guard against a return shot (banking the 10 if pocketed in the side) or guard against luck (what happens to cue ball/15 ball if a kiss is there).

We know what the opponent will do as a reply, slide off the 15 or 9 and come back one or two rails to the side or bottom rail. I like him shooting this shot because I know I will have another turn at the table, and hopefully I won't be carving wood the next time :) .

petie

Verified Member
From
Citrus Springs, FL
After thinking about this for half a day or so and seeing you guys tripping over your di..or drinks, I think I would just soft the cue ball up to the left side of the 9 and stop on the rail. Jose might nudge his next shot too but I think I will get to the table after his shot and, who knows, I might have more to go on the next time around.

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
petie said:
After thinking about this for half a day or so and seeing you guys tripping over your di..or drinks, I think I would just soft the cue ball up to the left side of the 9 and stop on the rail. Jose might nudge his next shot too but I think I will get to the table after his shot and, who knows, I might have more to go on the next time around.

Cowboy Dennis said:
Two Days Per Shot

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Been meaning to do this for awhile and since you guys have obviously been bored today, (judging by your posts), I figured this would be a good time. Some of the newer members may like it also. I wrote this because SJD complained one time (only time ever) that anybody could play good if they had two days to find the right shot (like on the WEI). He does hate the WEI you know.

TWO DAYS PER SHOT

High Rollin' Dick, a dude known to be slick
Stood watching a game of pool

His shoes were shined, he was dressed to the nines
He knew he was looking real cool

It was the seventh frame of a one-pocket game
And Dick was sweatin' it out

He sat down to relax with two Yukon Jacks
But then he started to shout

"Are you insane or not, don't you dare shoot that shot
Shoot the nine or you'll surely get beat"

"I've bet a thousand on you and you know I'm down two"
Then he leapt to his feet

He said "I'll show you the shot, what's right and what's not
I'll explain every little detail"

Then he turned to the crowd, stepped forward and bowed
And said "when I'm through he'll think he's in jail

But Billy said "wait', I'd shoot the eight
And you know it's the right thing to do"

Then Doc said "hey look, it's right here in the book
Grady says he'd shoot the two"

Artie said "squeeze 'em and duck and then hide
Lock all the balls up that way"

"By the time that you win rigor mortis sets in
They're easy to beat this way"

Then chaos ensued, it got ugly and rude
All thought that they knew the most

And then through the wall as if not there at all
Came a straight-shootin' One Pocket Ghost

"Shoot the seven" he opined, "or you're out of your mind
I'll tell you for the last time today"

Freddy said "thanks, but I see three banks
Where was it that you learned to play?"

"I'd shoot the four" said Mr. Senor
"And I'll say it again and again"

"The four is the nuts if you've got the guts
In my eyes, you shoot it you win"

But Rod said "the one, I'm not here for the fun
Do you really need me to shout?"

"Cut the one thin and watch it roll in
Make the one, run eight and out"

Now Steve had been listening to all of them bicker
Over the right shot to play

His patience was long but he said "you're all wrong
Shoot the twelve and you'll win today"

Then came a voice from above, it was clear and it roared
And they started to tremble and shake

It said, "what's wrong with you all, don't you know that the shot
Is the one that he thinks he can make"

I hope all of the noobies like it. I know it still makes me laugh.

Dennis

If we only had that much time to think about every shot.:eek: :D

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
I have no idea what JS was trying to do here, I'm guessing he was trying to pocket the 15 ball but it missed and hit the point instead:( .

JS's Shot.jpg

Here's how he left Jose. He drilled it for the win.

CapturedPicture_6.Jpeg

Jimmy B

Verified Member
Cowboy Dennis said:
If we only had that much time to think about every shot.:eek: :D

Thanks for reposting that piece of work. You could have easily been a major songwriter like John Prine or Steve Goodman, with writing and rhyming like that. A fantastic writing effort. Put to music it would be much better than the old Dave Dudley pool shark song...............

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
Like I said...

Like I said...

Cowboy Dennis said:
I have no idea what JS was trying to do here, I'm guessing he was trying to pocket the 15 ball but it missed and hit the point instead:( .

View attachment 3131

Here's how he left Jose. He drilled it for the win.

View attachment 3132

... and Billy Stroud said, cross the 15, cue ball back to the foot rail and wait for something better. I carefully set the shot up on my table and there is no kiss, even if you dont use left hand english. Just use a natural rolling ball.

Beard

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
hey guys
let me be the devils advocate although freddy did address this issue:)
my understanding of strategy is if ahead in the score send the balls up table to play one ball at a time.
when behind get balls in play
SO
make the 10 leave him tough:confused:

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
fred bentivegna said:
... and Billy Stroud said, cross the 15, cue ball back to the foot rail and wait for something better. I carefully set the shot up on my table and there is no kiss, even if you dont use left hand english. Just use a natural rolling ball.

Beard
Cardone co-commentated this match and he also liked crossing the 15 and bringing the rock back to the footrail. God only knows what JS was thinking.

Dennis

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
lll said:
hey guys
let me be the devils advocate although freddy did address this issue:)
my understanding of strategy is if ahead in the score send the balls up table to play one ball at a time.
when behind get balls in play
SO
make the 10 leave him tough:confused:

Larry,

If you make the 10 you will leave a cross-corner on the 10 no matter where you put the cueball. You could very easily leave a cross-corner on the 1 ball if you don't put the cueball past the 15 when you make the 10. IF you hit it absolutely perfect, tough from the rail, and you don't leave an easily shootable bank on the 1 or the 10 you leave a very simple safety for him to return off the 10 ball.

[CUETABLE]http://pool.bz/P/?@3AYqA4JbUN1OPtd3PSKj@[/CUETABLE]

Generally speaking, it is the correct strategy to move balls uptable but that doesn't make it an unbreakable rule. It also doesn't usually apply with only three balls on the table, you must put them where it will help you the most or at least, not hurt you. I like Senor's idea also from this spot if the 15 looked too tough. Don't worry about leaving them to your advantage in this spot, just get back to the table for one more shot.

[CUETABLE]http://pool.bz/P/?@3AYqA4JbUN1OPtd3PSKj3UYqA1UMGk1UbXf1UXtr3kSKj3kaoc3kaXR3kawB2kYYW@[/CUETABLE]

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
Cowboy Dennis said:
Larry,

If you make the 10 you will leave a cross-corner on the 10 no matter where you put the cueball. You could very easily leave a cross-corner on the 1 ball if you don't put the cueball past the 15 when you make the 10. IF you hit it absolutely perfect, tough from the rail, and you don't leave an easily shootable bank on the 1 or the 10 you leave a very simple safety for him to return off the 10 ball.

[CUETABLE]http://pool.bz/P/?@3AYqA4JbUN1OPtd3PSKj@[/CUETABLE]

Generally speaking, it is the correct strategy to move balls uptable but that doesn't make it an unbreakable rule. It also doesn't usually apply with only three balls on the table, you must put them where it will help you the most or at least, not hurt you. I like Senor's idea also from this spot if the 15 looked too tough. Don't worry about leaving them to your advantage in this spot, just get back to the table for one more shot.

[CUETABLE]http://pool.bz/P/?@3AYqA4JbUN1OPtd3PSKj3UYqA1UMGk1UbXf1UXtr3kSKj3kaoc3kaXR3kawB2kYYW@[/CUETABLE]
thanks dennis
you know my quest for knowledge and improvement is "insatiable":D :D :D :D ;)