J. Brumback vs. J. Parica 2011 D.C.C. #2

lll

Verified Member
Joined
Mar 19, 2007
Messages
16,479
From
vero beach fl
Cowboy Dennis said:
lll,

That is not what Mark said. He said "Until QB makes contact with another object that is not in motion relative to itself .. It has no energy , it has POTENTIAL ENERGY..".

This is obviously wrong.

As to your last point about the All-Zaniness site; It's a long hot summer and everybody's bored:) .

Dennis
there is physics equation that says
force = mass x acceleration
now force is a form of energy
so if an object is moving it has energy
regardless of if it does or does not make contact with another object in motion relative to itself
for me its time to have a glass of wine (6:30 est) not 4:30 pm when you started:D :p
so my erudite postes on matters of physics might have to wait till tommorrow:)
 

Cowboy Dennis

Suspended
Joined
Dec 16, 2008
Messages
11,123
From
Detroit,Michigan
lll said:
there is physics equation that says
force = mass x acceleration
now force is a form of energy
so if an object is moving it has energy
regardless of if it does or does not make contact with another object in motion relative to itself
for me its time to have a glass of wine (6:30 est) not 4:30 pm when you started:D :p
so my erudite postes on matters of physics might have to wait till tommorrow:)
Dear Pinot Noir Breath,

It's 6:30 here also, what does that have to do with anything? Mark said the cueball had no energy UNTIL it hit some thing stationary. My only question of him is how can it move to hit something stationary if it has no imparted energy to propel it???

Cowboy "E equals MC squared" Dennis
 

lll

Verified Member
Joined
Mar 19, 2007
Messages
16,479
From
vero beach fl
Cowboy Dennis said:
Dear Pinot Noir Breath,

It's 6:30 here also, what does that have to do with anything? Mark said the cueball had no energy UNTIL it hit some thing stationary. My only question of him is how can it move to hit something stationary if it has no imparted energy to propel it???

Cowboy "E equals MC squared" Dennis
dear mr E equals MC squared breath,
i agree:eek:
 

vapros

Verified Member
Joined
May 24, 2004
Messages
4,031
From
baton rouge, la
It's heartbreaking, at my age, to suddenly discover what has held my game down all these years. Why didn't someone tell me?? :rolleyes: :eek:
 

NH Steve

Administrator
Joined
Apr 25, 2004
Messages
9,403
From
New Hampshire
petie said:
Anyone who has watched or played 3 cushion billiards very long will see a very beautiful shot in which the player stuns the cue ball with extreme side english and severe speed so that the object ball goes very fast and very far after the shot but the cue ball takes off very slowly to the first rail. The beauty of the shot is that when the cue ball hits the first rail, it accelerates moderately but very perceptiby toward the second rail. When it hits the second rail, it picks up speed on it's way to the third rail. Upon hitting the third rail it now accelerates much more and continues to spin inexorably to the second object ball for the billiard. If you've never seen it, you owe it to yourself. Some of you, I am reasonably sure, have actually shot it and made it.
I am fortunate to live only 45 minutes from 2006 US National champion 3c player Mazin Shooni's room. I know exactly the kind of shot you are talking about -- it is amazing to watch the cue ball barely creep to the first rail, then pick up speed with the spin off the rail, then barely reach the second rail, then pick up speed again, and finally the same at the third rail. It is kind of surreal, with the cue moving so slowly, yet continuing on its journey. Of course, the billiard balls are something like 30% heavier, so they hold a lot more spin than pool balls. I should also mention that their billiard cloth is super fast and impeccably maintained (on heated slate), in fact both table and balls are thoroughly cleaned after pretty much every game -- that probably makes a difference too.
 

MARK..HOU TX

Verified Member
Joined
Jul 12, 2010
Messages
376
Dennis we are both right because we are just skimming the surface of "special relativity and general relativity" the more " MASS " the more potential energy.. motion and speed is ALLWAYS relative to the point of observation .. if I was traveling next to an asteroid in free space .. what would I base its speed on? distant stars that are also in motion relative to something else? if I reached out and touched asteroid .. I would say it has no energy .. since it has no speed relative to me .. therefore it has potential energy as does all macrospic matter . so it can accurately be said that all things can be at rest or in motion relative to the observer ..3 different observers will have 3 different answers and they would all be correct.. But as far as the pool balls are concerned YOU ARE 100% CORRECT ...please excuse me for being bored and over extrapulating :)
 

John Brumback

Verified Member
Joined
Dec 6, 2010
Messages
1,747
I don't know If this has anything at all to do with what ya'll are talking about,But
when does a bullet coming from a gun barrel start to slow down?......
As soon as It leaves the barrel.Just thought I would throw this In here
since I don't have anything good or smart to say about all this.Ha.John B.
 

MARK..HOU TX

Verified Member
Joined
Jul 12, 2010
Messages
376
John Brumback said:
I don't know If this has anything at all to do with what ya'll are talking about,But
when does a bullet coming from a gun barrel start to slow down?......
As soon as It leaves the barrel.Just thought I would throw this In here
since I don't have anything good or smart to say about all this.Ha.John B.
Yeah John it starts slowing down the moment it passes the end of barrel .. if you pointed a rifle on a level field and barrel was level and you held a bullet in your hand next to the barrel and dropped it the instant you fired rifle.. the fired bullet and the dropped bullet would hit ground at the same time
 

MARK..HOU TX

Verified Member
Joined
Jul 12, 2010
Messages
376
John also .. Muzzle velocity ,foot lbs of energy and feet per second start diminishing soon as bullet leaves barrel
 

John Brumback

Verified Member
Joined
Dec 6, 2010
Messages
1,747
MARK..HOU TX said:
Yeah John it starts slowing down the moment it passes the end of barrel .. if you pointed a rifle on a level field and barrel was level and you held a bullet in your hand next to the barrel and dropped it the instant you fired rifle.. the fired bullet and the dropped bullet would hit ground at the same time

I'll be darn,I did not know that.JB
 

John Brumback

Verified Member
Joined
Dec 6, 2010
Messages
1,747
MARK..HOU TX said:
John also .. Muzzle velocity ,foot lbs of energy and feet per second start diminishing soon as bullet leaves barrel

I knew that.Common sense uh?JB
 

lll

Verified Member
Joined
Mar 19, 2007
Messages
16,479
From
vero beach fl
MARK..HOU TX said:
Yeah John it starts slowing down the moment it passes the end of barrel .. if you pointed a rifle on a level field and barrel was level and you held a bullet in your hand next to the barrel and dropped it the instant you fired rifle.. the fired bullet and the dropped bullet would hit ground at the same time
not to be picky but the bullet would travel a feww milliseconds in the barrell before gravity took over so the bullet from your hand would hit the ground first by that few milliseconds.

BUT regarding potential energy and relative motion

are you saying if 2 trucks were going down the highway at the exact same speed neither one is moving relative to the other one
they only have potential energy??:confused:
 

Jimmy B

Verified Member
Joined
Aug 17, 2007
Messages
5,732
John Brumback said:
I knew that.Common sense uh?JB



Oh yea I knew all of that too. In fact I can shoot my 7.62x54 rifle straight up in the air and calculate the windage and velocity etc and let the round come down and catch it in a trashcan (30 gal) almost every time..

Have fun at Myrtle Beach man. I remember one of my first trips was when I was 15 and went there with a friend cause he had a restricted license and I had like a permit and we loaded up beer and stuff and took off. The first day I saw a guy drag a big hammerhead shark in to shore from the next pier down from the pavilion. So later I was swimming and felt some kind of fish slide across my body and stepped on a flounder or something about that time. I told my friend-I think I will go soak some beer and sun and get out of this salt water. I'm a fresh water person anyway. Later on we blowed playing pool and then got caught for shoplifting and was tortured in a building and then released by this foreign gift shop owner. We told nobody. How many players have played pool in that Genes old pool room in Myrtle Beach?????????
 

MARK..HOU TX

Verified Member
Joined
Jul 12, 2010
Messages
376
lll said:
not to be picky but the bullet would travel a feww milliseconds in the barrell before gravity took over so the bullet from your hand would hit the ground first by that few milliseconds.

BUT regarding potential energy and relative motion

are you saying if 2 trucks were going down the highway at the exact same speed neither one is moving relative to the other one
they only have potential energy??:confused:
Larry .. free space is easier to relate to because of energy transference to road although miniscule .. if your in free space ,ask yourself this question.. how do you know how fast your going? it has to be relative to something .. potential energy is based on mass x speed ..speed is determined by what it encounters .. if they are traveling toward each then relative speed can be determined very easily.. angle also is in the equation .. readers digest version .. I hope I was clear :)
 

lll

Verified Member
Joined
Mar 19, 2007
Messages
16,479
From
vero beach fl
MARK..HOU TX said:
Larry .. free space is easier to relate to because of energy transference to road although miniscule .. if your in free space ,ask yourself this question.. how do you know how fast your going? it has to be relative to something .. potential energy is based on mass x speed ..speed is determined by what it encounters .. if they are traveling toward each then relative speed can be determined very easily.. angle also is in the equation .. readers digest version .. I hope I was clear :)
i think ill shoot what rod tells me:D
 

petie

Verified Member
Joined
Oct 2, 2005
Messages
3,314
From
Citrus Springs, FL
NH Steve said:
I am fortunate to live only 45 minutes from 2006 US National champion 3c player Mazin Shooni's room. I know exactly the kind of shot you are talking about -- it is amazing to watch the cue ball barely creep to the first rail, then pick up speed with the spin off the rail, then barely reach the second rail, then pick up speed again, and finally the same at the third rail. It is kind of surreal, with the cue moving so slowly, yet continuing on its journey. Of course, the billiard balls are something like 30% heavier, so they hold a lot more spin than pool balls. I should also mention that their billiard cloth is super fast and impeccably maintained (on heated slate), in fact both table and balls are thoroughly cleaned after pretty much every game -- that probably makes a difference too.

Ah, Mazin, what a player. I've been watching him since the mid 80's starting at Oak Park Billiards when Bob Ahmeen was the house man. He moved out of Michigan and we heard he had cancer but then I saw him at Bogards when that was open and he looked vigorous and scored at will with a borrowed cue. He is definitely worth walking accross the street to watch.
 

Weatherman

Verified Member
Joined
Feb 17, 2009
Messages
85
From
Atlanta, Ga.
Physics...huh???

Physics...huh???

John Brumback said:
I don't know If this has anything at all to do with what ya'll are talking about,But
when does a bullet coming from a gun barrel start to slow down?......
As soon as It leaves the barrel.Just thought I would throw this In here
since I don't have anything good or smart to say about all this.Ha.John B.


I'm with you, John... but we can play'em some partners. <g>

d
 

SJDinPHX

Suspended
Joined
Dec 7, 2007
Messages
9,226
Weatherman said:
I'm with you, John... but we can play'em some partners. <g>

d

Damned if that doesn't look like Cole Dixon in your avatar....Nah, Coley wouldn't be makin' a move on that other guy, would he ?.:D

The other guy does look like he's likin' it though...:p :p (JK)

PS..Have you heard from him lately Dave...Heard he moved back to Montana ?
 

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
Joined
Feb 2, 2005
Messages
6,690
From
chicago illinois
I'll help you

I'll help you

SJDinPHX said:
Damned if that doesn't look like Cole Dixon in your avatar....Nah, Coley wouldn't be makin' a move on that other guy, would he ?.:D

The other guy does look like he's likin' it though...:p :p (JK)

PS..Have you heard from him lately Dave...Heard he moved back to Montana ?

Want me to see if I can get him to send you his autograph? (For your secret collection)

Mr Pogon (as in pogonophobia)
 
Top