J. Bergman vs. C. Deuel 2013 Tunica

WhatWouldWojoDo

Verified Member
Is it possible to cut the 8 into Bergman's hole and either run the cue ball 2 rails then behind the 2 balls in front of the side pocket?

If positions not possible then I just try to make the 8.

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
What a bind! It looks as though if he billiarded in the 14 off the 2, that the 2 would kick out. Barring that, it wouldn't be the worst shot in the world to make both balls, and try to leave whitey near the center of the short rail. Then it's 5-2.

But surely he's thought about those two options. The one picture suggests that he might just try to cut in the 8. If he makes that, then the CB should go three rails and give him a bank on the 11. From there he could make one of the combos to win it. It would be a very tough out...

Doc

petie

Verified Member
From
Citrus Springs, FL
To me, the big challenge here is to hit the stripe hard enough to clear the 2 out of bank range but not let the CB get kissed up table far enough to leave a shot. I do think he has a fair chance to double kiss the 2 to his hole.

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
Try to make the 8 ball and draw the CB where you can reach the next shot, then try to make both balls (one at a time) with Hi-Karate. :)
Rod.

Cory in dc

Verified Member
Cut the 8 in with low right, take the cue up to the short rail at the head of the table, then the long rail, then right at the 2 and 15. If you hit them, then the problem is probably solved; if not, you'll have a better angle for cleaning them out.

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
I wouldnt try and make the 8 ball. You would be gambling that you would end up in a position to make both balls in one shot. You are already in a position to make both balls in one shot. Use hard follow on the 15 ball, cut it as much as you can trying not to disturb the 2 ball as little as you can, the high follow will go forth into the two ball, probably double kiss it and knock it into the pocket.

Take the 5 to 2 lead and go from there. The balls are laying for a run out if one of those hanging balls doesnt fall or leave the pocket.

Beard

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
I wouldnt try and make the 8 ball. You would be gambling that you would end up in a position to make both balls in one shot. You are already in a position to make both balls in one shot. Use hard follow on the 15 ball, cut it as much as you can trying not to disturb the 2 ball as little as you can, the high follow will go forth into the two ball, probably double kiss it and knock it into the pocket.

Take the 5 to 2 lead and go from there. The balls are laying for a run out if one of those hanging balls doesnt fall or leave the pocket.

Beard

We'll call you the yardman, you work so well with the rake. :D
Rod.

Jimmy B

Verified Member
cut in the 8 let the cb fly, when the dust settles if i have another shot ill take it, if not ill do something with those 2 ball in the corner pocket. thats what i would do.

That doesn't sound like the side pocket kid to me. That sounds like a live for the moment devil may care attitude. You did something to the kid, didn't you?? Who is this really? Did you kill him? Insurance job?? Cashing his SS checks. Fess up.. You took over his computer too. Didn't you???/

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
It looks like pocketing both balls using the rake is a very low percentage shot, at least the way I see it. If that's true then i'm shooting the 8ball with a level stroke to increase the accuracy of the shot. I'll hit it with the speed to end up in a much better position to deal with the two hanging balls.

In a situation like this one where you're confronted with a very difficult "defensive" shot and there are balls in play for your opponent (imo) the better gamble is to play the offensive shot and go from there.

In this situation if you shoot the 8ball you will be productive by moving the 8ball from your opponents side of the table (a ball that is valuable for your opponent) to either a position near your pocket or even possibly pocketing it. In either case you are creating a much more difficult situation for your opponent to deal with as he faces the deficit of 5-0, or maybe even 6-0. By moving the 8ball you are taking away a possible winning ball for your opponent, especially when you consider the position of the 7ball and 9ball by the side pocket. By positioning the 8ball near your pocket you will 'just about' guarantee that (worst case scenario) you will have another inning at the table. Sometimes you need to think under those terms as sad as it may appear. Trying to make the best out of a possible "fatal" situation.

Bill Incardona

Last edited:

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
I would never brag about playing with a rake for 30 years if I couldn't play opposite-handed first:p.

Cowboy "got two arms and uses 'em both" Dennis

Sorry, but I am absolutely helpless left-handed. I can play on one foot, I can play a little one handed, and I used to be able to play behind my back (before my belly got in the way), but left-handed was above my pay grade.

If you would have seen the out shot I made in last years DCC with the rake on TOP of the rail and off-angle you wouldnt have brought the subject up!

Beard

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
Sorry, but I am absolutely helpless left-handed. I can play on one foot, I can play a little one handed, and I used to be able to play behind my back (before my belly got in the way), but left-handed was above my pay grade.

If you would have seen the out shot I made in last years DCC with the rake on TOP of the rail and off-angle you wouldnt have brought the subject up!

Beard

Before I get to the main point of my rebuttal I need to ask one serious question; how can your belly get in the way of shooting behind-the-back? It seems to me that Red's belly was a perfect counterweight when he played behind-the-back.

Now, on to the more serious stuff; in counterpoint to your second statement; I didn't bring the subject up, you & Rod did.

Dennis

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
I have watched this shot 20 times and I believe what happened is this: Bergman shot the 15 into the side of the 2 and pocketed the 15. The 2 rebounded off the tit into the cueball and was also knocked into the pocket but the cueball was knocked back leaving Deuel a tough shot on the 8 ball.

It was Bergman's last shot of this game.

jb's shot.jpg
jb's shot1.jpg

He left it here for Deuel:

jb's leave.jpg